Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time dry ice plus mini-guide (with pics)

First time dry ice plus mini-guide (with pics)

was finally able to do dry ice cooling for the first time last weekend. second hardest part was insulating the board to prevent condensation on the mobo and proc. hardest part was tweaking and overclocking under subzero conditions which is very different from air/water cooling. still have much to learn there.

creating this thread to show pics, share info/pointers, etc. etc. will update this first post later to include links from the places i used as reference to do the insulation work and oc tips (may miss out some). pointers on how to do things better are especially welcome (just go easy on the noob :-).

to start with, here's the rig running the first time under dry ice cooling:

(real-temp is only able to show up to -7 or -8. actual temp at the base of the pot is -59c).

System specs and main materials:
    • CPU: i7 965 (will try the 920 / 950 next time round)
    • Mobo: Asus rampage 2 extreme (will try the evga classified next time round; did it on the r2e first as was having issues with the classified that's all sorted out).
    • Dice/ln2 pot: Koolance cpu-ln2 pot. a nice review showing it's a very good dice pot but not as good ln2 pot can be found here http://www.legitreviews.com/article/987/1/
    • Pot insulation: aeroflex pipe/tube insulation 1 7/8" diameter, 1" thick. check your yellow pages under insulation for where to find this or something similar. the size you need depends on your pot. the koolance pot is around 2.5" diameter. i aimed for the smallest foam diameter that can still fit (not sure if that's the proper way but that seemed to work).
    • Digital thermometer: Fluke 50 series ii with 80PK-1 bead probe. get it used on ebay or somewhere for a good price. the bead probe specs show -40 to 260C but it can actually show much lower as long as the thermometer itself is spec'ed to go lower (seen it used for ln2 temps). others swear by the cheaper uei dt-200 digital thermometer but couldn't find it where i'm at. the fluke is quite sturdy though. dropped it once already (when i removed the pot with the probe still hooked---ouch---still ticking ).

Other materials needed (inserted on top for easier reference---see more info within this guide later):
    • dry ice (duh) or ln2. regarding dry ice, here's a warning I'm citing from an article in madshrimps.be (a guide on how to build your own dice pot):
      Before we proceed I would like to tell dry ice can be dangerous. The super-cold surface temperature can easily damage your skin if you touch it directly. For the same reason you never want to taste or swallow dry ice either. So wear hand gloves if you touch Dry Ice

Another important concern with dry ice is ventilation. You want to make sure the area is well-ventilated.

Carbon dioxide is heavier than air and it can concentrate in low areas or in enclosed spaces (like a car or a room where dry ice is sublimating). Normal air is 78% Nitrogen, 21% Oxygen and only 0.035% Carbon Dioxide. If the concentration of carbon dioxide in the air rises above 5%, carbon dioxide can become toxic.

Be sure to ventilate any area that contains dry ice, and do not transport it in a closed vehicle.
    • acetone for sublimating the dry ice (acetone is flammable---keep away from heat/sparks)
    • kneaded eraser for board insulation (from art supplies store or even bookstore)
    • optional petroleum jelly (a.k.a. vaseline from grocery---discretely; don't buy a big tub ;-) or dielectric grease (from auto shop) for socket insulation. said to be essential only for 24/7 phase change setups, not necessary for DI/LN2 setups which you dismantle after each session (but i used it anyway first time just in case)
    • optional hair dryer to soften up the eraser (or to remove the vaseline from the socket if you need to RMA). can also be used to heat-up the cpu-area after a subzero bench session (see section on disassembly).
    • shop towels for extra condensation protection. don't know if these are different from standard paper towels as i can't find "shop towels" where i'm at. might try those chamois cloths next time.
    • lint-free cloth for final prepping of the pot and cpu. coffee filters are nice substitutes
    • thermal grease. most swear by AS Ceramique versus MX2 for subzero cooling. Ceramique's what i used. am wondering though if this is needed for the shiny nickel plated koolance pot.
    • optional neoprene board to put on top of the eraser and gaps in the socket if not using vaseline. insulation stores in the yellow pages will usually have an equivalent (e.g., armaflex, aeroflex, etc...)
    • yellow pages phone book (they're not extinct where you're at are they?). let your fingers do the walking when shopping around for the dice (usually has its own section under "dry ice")/ln2 (found some listed under "Gas" selling it)/insulation.

here's the temp with the system off:

disclaimer: not responsible for mishaps arising from trying out what's in this thread/guide. do so at your own risk.

now to show how i prepped the board ...

Insulation 1

first thing to do to prep the board for subzero cooling is to prevent condensation from reaching the electronics. first step is the cpu socket. the pros actually say they don't bother with the socket (if it's not for a 24/7 setup). am not a pro, so didn't want to take chances.

was deciding on whether to use petroleum jelly (aka vaseline) or dielectric grease. both are said too work well and the decision boils down to which one is easier to get rid off if you need to RMA the board. Vaseline needs to be heated (e.g. using blow dryer to make it flow) while dielectric grease comes out with contact cleaner (or so says some postings in the web somewhere). i decided to use vaseline.

[insert later: URL of where i saw how to do this originally]

here's the pic after spreading it liberally in the socket. be careful not to break/bend pins:

heating it up with hair dryer, low heat 3-4 inches away, so it gets through the pins and make it easier to spread:

Insulation 2

CPU is then mounted and then p/j spread on hard to reach spots :-) in the socket. others put neoprene here (can't seal everything) while others put kneaded eraser (hard to take out of the hard to reach spots). i do use kneaded eraser for the mobo (see below).

pressure from the hold down bracket will squeeze out excess p/j and ensure contact with the pins is maintained. here's the pic after finishing the cpu mount and taping up the sides to prevent kneaded eraser from getting into those tight spots.

btw, see the serial number markings below the cpu area? i covered that with a thin film of paper before putting the kneaded eraser. otherwise, those markings may disappear when the eraser is removed (it's not called an eraser for nothing).

Insulation 3

next step is to insulate the mobo. there are several ways suggested in the net (e.g., nail polish or conformal coating with neoprene/frost king paddings). the one i used is based on kneaded eraser as seen here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=201916

this is what i used (can be found in your local bookstore/art supplies store):

i used 7 of these on the mobo. you might need more or less depending on how thick and wide you want to apply it. get one or two extra if you don't want to risk running out. it costs around US 55 cents where i'm at. they're reusable.

here it is being applied:

note the tape on the nearby memory/pci slots to prevent accidentally getting the stuff into the slots.

Insulation 4

working the bottom of the board: p/j covered with coffee filter in the slot directly below the cpu to seal out air and prevent condensation.

(old tape from GTZ mounting hardware can be seen lol)

bottom of board with kneaded eraser:

Mounting the LN2 POT 1

next step is to prep the mounting hardware. here's a pic dry fitting the pot to take measurements and templates:

some neoprene between the pot and eraser as suggested by the eraser-insulation guide:

Mounting the LN2 POT 2

a pic of the ln2 pots "heatsink". see how shiny it is.

the pot mounted with foam, probe (this pot has a hole drilled near the base for you to place the probe), and towels around as suggested in the old k|ngp|n guide at http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=125155.

Final prep

in order to do dry ice cooling you need dice (look up dry ice under the yellow pages or get them from a local ice cream factory):

five to 10 kilos can get you by a few hours to a day of benching.

prepping the banchetto case. the slot below the cpu is just right to fit this pot's backplate. i placed neoprene wrapped in paper towels to catch any condensation that might occur below the backplate:

Done
    and we're done... photo in the first pic shows the rig running on dry ice. here's a pic of "refill" portion of the bench ... refill ... bench process. not sure if this is the proper way to refill - lol.

btw, needed to crush the block of dice in an old shirt with a hammer. ruined the shirt.

speaking of crushing the d-ice, here's a tip and more from Stapler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Stapler View Post
    You should crush up the dry ice more so that it's like snow, and makes a slush when mixed with the acetone. Also you need to constantly use something to mix the dry ice with the acetone, and don't be afraid to apply quite a bit of pressure when trying to keep the temps from dropping during long benches(32m).
    btw2: notice i'm doing the benching near a window with fans blowing out on top. need ventilation when doing this.

here's a pic of the acetone in the pot sublimating the dry ice (you won't see it bubbling---it's not a video):

did i mention acetone (or similar liquid) is needed to better cool the pot with dry ice? well now i did. found that one shot glass seems to work fine and lasts a couple of hours or so. some recommend isopropyl alcohol. could only get 70% alcohol which probably isn't good enough so i used acetone instead.

Disassembly and cool-down (heat-up?)

how it looks after benching:

notice the frozen condensation near the bracket area where the foam had to be split up. fortunately none on the mobo...looks like all that prepping worked.

note that when you remove the pot from the mount, the cpu area will still be at subzero temps. as the temperature rises to ambient, there will be a time window when the temperature is above freezing but below ambient: perfect conditions for moisture to form. this is when the vaseline in the sockets help especially if you're in a humid area. here's a tip from der8auer if you're not insulating inside the socket:

Quote Originally Posted by der8auer View Post
    Ah okay. I've never benched longer than 5-7h subzero. But if i finished benching i use a hairdryer to heat it up
    In any case, not advisable to immediately boot it up with just air/water cooling soon after removing the cold pot as that will risk shorting something out as the temp goes from subzero to sub-ambient. Some let it dry overnight and blow it dry after besides. read others who put in in the oven (not the microwave!) but i probably won't go that far.

first time results
    was only able to bench for a few hours as prepping the board almost took the whole day (should be faster next time as now have practice). didn't get first time lucky on overclocking though. soon found out that tweaking under cold is very different from overclocking on air/water. only got this result to show for after a few hours benching:

don't have any spi/3D benches yet as getting above 5ghz on the 965 took most of the time i had. hope to get luckier next time on the classified and D0 procs (and more time benching and more time researching cold tweaks/techniques) ...
    Last edited by alex_tpc; 07-16-2009 at 05:02 PM. Reason: added "Other materials" section; update with warnings and tips;

Xtreme Member
    Thank you for sharing

Where is the temp probe affixed?
    Did you use alcohol or acetone in the pot to maximize surface area contact between the DICE and pot?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Great read! I am more and more curious with D-ICE benching. Is that the Koolance pot you are using?

I Are DuneCat
    I Controls The Spice
    I Controls The Universe

Cooler Master ATCS 840 | Corsair HX 520W | Asus P5Q Pro | Q9550 | HD4870 | Corsair Dominator 4GB PC8500 |
    D-Tek FuZion v2 - EK RES 150 - Swiftech MCR-220/320 - Swiftech MCW-60 - DDC 3.2 + Petra's Top

Thermo Bear
    Great Job The Koolance Pot performs good for its price!

But i've never seen someone putting vaseline into the soket. I've benched many setups and never had problems with condensation water under the CPU (between the pins).

I am Xtreme
    nice alex, legit xtreme indeed.

nice going alex!

I am Xtreme
    Very nice guide, thank you.
    Bringing Xtreme to masses!

thanks all for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal-EL View Post
    Where is the temp probe affixed?
    Did you use alcohol or acetone in the pot to maximize surface area contact between the DICE and pot?
    i used acetone. the Koolance pot has a hole near the base especially for the probe:

Quote Originally Posted by Zehnsucht View Post
    Is that the Koolance pot you are using?
    yes.

But i've never seen someone putting vaseline into the soket. I've benched many setups and never had problems with condensation water under the CPU (between the pins).
    i've read it's essential only for 24/7 setups like phase change systems. there's also a time window after removing the pot after benching when the cpu area will be sub-ambient so there might be some risk of condensation occuring inside. maybe there some cool-down (heat-up?) technique to ensure this doesn't happen? not really sure and as this was the first time, i insulated within the socket anyways.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Wierd guide to be posted in XS but i learned a couple of things, hope you get more feedback.

Did you get any results? what did you bench?

Xtreme Member
    You should crush up the dry ice more so that it's like snow, and makes a slush when mixed with the acetone. Also you need to constantly use something to mix the dry ice with the acetone, and don't be afraid to apply quite a bit of pressure when trying to keep the temps from dropping during long benches(32m).

Thermo Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by alex_tpc View Post
    i've read it's essential only for 24/7 setups like phase change systems. there's also a time window after removing the pot after benching when the cpu area will be sub-ambient so there might be some risk of condensation occuring inside. maybe there some cool-down (heat-up?) technique to ensure this doesn't happen? not really sure and as this was the first time, i insulated within the socket anyways.
    Ah okay. I've never benched longer than 5-7h subzero. But if i finished benching i use a hairdryer to heat it up

take me to the manbar
    i dont know what heatup method should be used but there is never vaseline needed inside that slot, but tis a good safety feature i guess.

how did u manage to stick the tape on the cpu socket after the vaseline? usually its impossible to stick anything then :O

niec insulation tho, should keep you clocking for hours. keep it up!

ps: what temps where on your pot at maximum coolness

Xtreme Member
    How many art erasers have you used to insulate mobo?
    Q6600 P5K-E 8800GT G.Skill HZ 2x1GB Barracuda 7200.10 Corsair 520HX TT Tsunami

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Oh, here it is, Xtreme guide indeed. Its good to see some xtreme guides in an easier-to-swallow rundown.
    I'll assume you've done the benching in the Phils., so whats the ambient temp then?

BTW, I've seen a pic. or two of the set-up at TPC's SMYR, I'm glad you posted the complete guide here.
    [[Daily R!G]]
    Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0GHz w/ 1.325 vcore.
    Rampage II Gene||CM HAF 932||HX850||MSI GTX 660ti PE OC||Corsair H50||G.Skill Phoenix 3 240GB||G.Skill NQ 6x2GB||Samsung 2333SW

flickr

Quote Originally Posted by metro.cl View Post
    Wierd guide to be posted in XS but i learned a couple of things, hope you get more feedback.
    don't get why it's wierd (i'm dense i guess) given that it's in the DI/LN2 section, not the extreme overclocking section. thanks anyway (I think).

Did you get any results? what did you bench?
    see final results section: 5.019 ghz max cpu-z. looking at hwbot, i realize it's not so bad for a first try: 30th place as of this posting for the 965 with other dice/ln2 setups below it. also got spi1M 8.157s below 5Ghz, good efficiency without having to crank-up my 2000mhz-cas6-capable mems as i was running them loose for max-clock-hunting. but didn't record a screenshot as was too busy trying to get higher clocks till i finally run out of time. of course, no screenies means it didn't happen. anyways, hope to do better with more benches using the classified next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Stapler View Post
    big thanks for the tips guys . exactly what i'm hoping to get with this thread. hope you don't mind my incorporating these comments into the first post.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi2 View Post
    ...how did u manage to stick the tape on the cpu socket after the vaseline? usually its impossible to stick anything then :O
    ps: what temps where on your pot at maximum coolness
    yup, was having problems with the tape until i anchored it on the board. you can see it in the pics. min-temp i got with the system off was -69C IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Oskaliber View Post
    How many art erasers have you used to insulate mobo?
    seven. updated the first post to say so with how much each costs.

Quote Originally Posted by labs23 View Post
    Oh, here it is, Xtreme guide indeed. Its good to see some xtreme guides in an easier-to-swallow rundown.
    I'll assume you've done the benching in the Phils., so whats the ambient temp then?
    thanks. ambient was around 26C but that's not so much a problem as the humidity (90 or over, sometimes 100) and the dew point (at or just below ambient usually).

Xtreme Member

Really?

I wish now that I had put vaseline into the sockets on my four-socket (Tyan S4980) motherboard. If I had, I wouldn't have had any trouble with excess fluid draining down into them. I thought of everything else, except the sockets! Thanks to my seeing this, I will never make that mistake again. Absolutely ingenious!!

There's nothing quite like having anyone blame you for NOT failing! Or taking the risk to...

Thank you so much!
    Shingoshi
    Last edited by Shingoshi; 07-16-2009 at 09:56 PM.
    The distribution of knowledge must not be the commodity of tyranny.
    Solution: The immediate equalization of all knowledge among all beings.

Expand your mind, advance our world!
    >=(o_6)=>
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/blog/shingoshi-297853/

Thermo Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by alex_tpc View Post
    big thanks for the tips guys . exactly what i'm hoping to get with this thread. hope you don't mind my incorporating these comments into the first post.
    Nope Maybe it helps somebody. Good summary

Quote Originally Posted by Shingoshi View Post
    I wish now that I had put vaseline into the sockets on my four-socket (Tyan S4980) motherboard. If I had, I wouldn't have had any trouble with excess fluid draining down into them. I thought of everything else, except the sockets! Thanks to my seeing this, I will never make that mistake again. Absolutely ingenious!!

There's nothing quite like having anyone blame you for NOT failing! Or taking the risk to...

Thank you so much!
    Shingoshi
    Erm... What exactly did you do? You had problems with condensation water in your sockets?

Xtreme Member

A confession of oversight!!

No condensation. I just made the stupid mistake of applying enough thermal paste, that under the pressure of my Koolance CPU-330 mounting apparatus, the paste was squeezed out into the socket. And I didn't know about it until it was too late!

No condensation, same effect...
    I sh1t my shorts!!

Shingoshi

>=(o_6)=>

Thermo Bear
    Oh s***

CPUs still alive or did they die?

Xtreme Member

The cpus live!

Oh s***

CPUs still alive or did they die?
    It's the board that's dead. At least I think it is. I think I would have preferred the cpus having been killed, since the board cost me much more than both of them. I've done a heroic effort to clean the one socket in which this happened. But haven't checked to see if the cleaning worked. I don't thing the board was actually shorted though. I think it was simply the Arctic Silver thermal paste that caused the problem. I've had to be very careful about the pins, especially since this was a socket-1207 board.

If I have been successful in cleaning the board's socket, I will have yet another board to use in my cluster. I'm thinking of replacing that board with one like my avatar.

Shingoshi

>=(o_6)=>

Thermo Bear
    Ouch, that hurts.

But also a bit strange. Thought, the Arctic Silver paste wouldn't conduct el. current.

Quote Originally Posted by alex_tcp
    In any case, not advisable to immediately boot it up with just air/water cooling soon after removing the cold pot as that will risk shorting something out as the temp goes from subzero to sub-ambient. Some let it dry overnight and blow it dry after besides. read others who put in in the oven (not the microwave!) but i probably won't go that far.
    Yes i also use a oven at Benchsessions. If you've got plenty of condensation Water on you Mainboard it works fine. 1h @ 50-70°C and your MB is dry and you can go on.

second session

was able to do my second dice session today for around 5 hours, this time on an evga classified and an i7 920 D0. good news is that i learned a few things. bad news was that i learned the crucial ones just when i was about to run out of dice.

first a pic of the classified being prepped:

notice that i at first did not fill the board with eraser up to the right edge of the board. not good: i had to stop benching after around 30 minutes, dismount the pot, and add more eraser to fill-up the right edge when i noticed condensation occuring there. that's were the banchetto had a couple of fans and it must have been more humid today than last week when I did not have such problem. had to use 9 erasers this time.

i also found that putting thermal paste on probe was not a good idea. i tried this after reading someone do this but this caused the temps shown to plateau around -59C, probably the freezing point of the AS ceramique. then again, it could just have been poor contact and not at all the ceramique's fault. whatever, after i added the eraser on the board, i also remounted the probe without paste but taping the wire up against the pipe foam so it had good contact. this got me -70C minimum temp from the probe (system off):

Refill technique
    the koolance cpu-ln2 pot has an extender for dice cooling to prevent the bubbling acetone from splattering all over your mobo. unfortunately, this led me to get lazy on the refill process by filling it up with dry ice almost to the brim and just using a chopstick to stir. i learned just when i was about to run dry that the lowest and most stable temps was when you can actually see the acetone and where the acetone covers the dice slush completely. sort of like this picture but probably with a little bit less dice (acetone level with dice just below the brim of the copper segment):

this allowed me to complete a 32M bench at almost 5Ghz with the pot temp hovering at -63C and finishing around -62C.

on my last ounce of dice, i was more than halfway through a 32M bench at 5.006Ghz and approaching around 7m13-14s when it rebooted either due to temps increasing due to no more dice to fill or did not have enough vcore/vdimm. either way, end of bench. here's a pic of that aborted 32M run halfway through when there was barely enough dice to maintain -63C:

second session results

i didn't think i had enough dice to try to up voltage and run again so i settled for eking-out some spi1m and cpu-z scores with the time remaining:

oh well, at least i've learned a few things. had i known these before i started, might have been able to get benchable 5ghz stable earlier and get even better benches. i'll update the mini-guide later with these tips---hope it helps first-timers get better scores faster. and hope to get better benches next time ...
    Last edited by alex_tpc; 07-19-2009 at 05:00 PM.

Xtreme Member
    nice guide alex, but vaseline in socket isn't very good idea...but you are true, it is the safest way

Xtreme Member

Please explain yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Storm View Post
    nice guide alex, but vaseline in socket isn't very good idea...but you are true, it is the safest way
    How can something that's the safest, not be a good idea!

Shingoshi

>=(o_6)=>

Xtreme Member
    I said it badly, sorry...I wanted to say, there wont be much condensation and it will be quite difficult to get vaseline out of socket...but it is assurance for beginners

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast