Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A day late and a dollar short but almost there.

Xtreme Cruncher
    nice box boss .. I didnīt read the ppd output
    "Study hard my young friend"[/B].
    ---------------------------------------
    Woody: It's not a laser! It's a... [sighs in frustration]

Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    1.35v for 3600, 1.4v for 3800..

The one thing I don't like is that you have to mount the TRUE horizontal instead of vertical and in a mid tower the psu is 3" above the HS..
    BUT it's doing the job and the little beatsie has been on WCG at 100% load for the last 15 hours..
    max temp is 48C
    I have one of these: an AM2 Retention Mount Adapter Kit for Socket AM2/AM2+/AM3 from Prolimatech (for the megahalems) that I am going try out with my TRUE. I'll let you know if it works (which would be good).
    Last edited by cbjaust; 07-12-2009 at 06:51 PM.

AMD FX-8350 | ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z | G.Skill F3-1866C8D-16GTX | MSI Radeon R9 280X Gaming 3GB
    OCAU

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by cbjaust View Post
    I have one of these: an AM2 Retention Mount Adapter Kit for Socket AM2/AM2+/AM3 from Prolimatech (for the megahalems) that I am going try out with my TRUE. I'll let you know if it works (which would be good).
    yes, please do in fact PM me if it works..
    Thanks.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

My first thoughts on it is that it's fast, it's smoothe and it's fun.
    I was saying to perkam earlier in Pm that what really impresses me on this is the "perceived" speed of the system. It's not benchmarks, it's not numbers but in daily type usage it is just plain fast.
    Smoother? Oh noes not that again

Glad to see you having fun in the AMD camp Dave. Enjoy

And you're farther along in a short while than I am in weeks on overclocking, I'm really struggling with my 955BE. Kudos to you!
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Addict
    I was saying to perkam earlier in Pm that what really impresses me on this is the "perceived" speed of the system. It's not benchmarks, it's not numbers but in daily type usage it is just plain fast.
    Part of that is the raptor but it's only a part.
    I turned it down to 3407 last night to let it crunch the night as I wanted to get a good feel for the system before I pushed higher.
    At 3407mhz the computational power seems to be a little more than a Intel Q6600 at 3600mhz but it is much smoother in usage.
    It's sitting on my desk in my office with 3 other machines beside it all at 100% load.. 2 dual socket harpers and a sossaman rig. I turn off the AC when I go to bed and came down here this morning to find 80F temps ..
    The AMD had moved exactly 1C while the Intel's had moved up 5C..
    Like I said, very nice machine for daily usage.
    Ive always figured on going with AMD PHII over i7 for my upgrade.
    Just wasnt sure as i now have a Q66 at 3.6ghz.

I think i will do it then

Oh and as for you not being able to hear the fan from a foot away.
    Well you lost most of your hearing a century ago
    ^^^^^All shaken, (from the earthquake) not stirred^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    There's a lot less voodoo in watercooling than is assumed
    The only thing future proof in electronics, is the electricity itself.

Any one who relies on only one source of information is a fool.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by sirheck View Post
    Ive always figured on going with AMD PHII over i7 for my upgrade.
    Just wasnt sure as i now have a Q66 at 3.6ghz.

I think i will do it then

Oh and as for you not being able to hear the fan from a foot away.
    Well you lost most of your hearing a century ago
    You try and be honest with yourself and others as much as possible. What I've seen here is that although the computational power of the i7 is greater at the same speeds the effective seen speed isn't any different for normal everyday usage.
    I said smoothe a few times in this thread and that is the perception. The flow from screen to screen is smoother than on my Intels.
    The feeling when using it is less of a mechanical feeling and more of a natural one. There is no provable logic to this but that is what is felt on this system.
    They really hit it right with this system and give credit to AMD or Gigabyte or both, I don't know, but it works and works well.
    When all is said and done, that is what matters for everyday usage.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Xtreme Addict
    Yeah pretty much the one thing that draws me to X58 is the ability to run both CF and SLI.
    The thing i like about PH II is they are a little cheaper overall and seem to be much cooler running.
    Plus have read when oc,ed they are on par with the s775,s performance wise.
    And im satisfied with the performance of my Q66.
    ^^^^^All shaken, (from the earthquake) not stirred^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    There's a lot less voodoo in watercooling than is assumed
    The only thing future proof in electronics, is the electricity itself.

Any one who relies on only one source of information is a fool.

Xtreme Mentor
    I said smoothe a few times in this thread and that is the perception. The flow from screen to screen is smoother than on my Intels.
    I'm really happy to see a respected Intel guy try a PhenomII...
    Just be careful with the smooth word MM, it's gotten me in trouble with the Blue crowd a number of times...

Glad to see your enjoying your new rig, I'm sure I7 is fun to play with too but I'm an unapologetic AMD fan... Nice to see you give PHII some honest, personal experience props.

I spent $100 on my 550 X2, it unlocks to an X4 and clocks to 3.9Ghz!
    It's really hard to dismiss the Price/performance value of my chip even if it is all a crap shoot....
    AMD FX-8350 (1237 PGN) | Asus Crosshair V Formula (bios 1703) | G.Skill 2133 CL9 @ 2230 9-11-10 | Sapphire HD 6870 | Samsung 830 128Gb SSD / 2 WD 1Tb Black SATA3 storage | Corsair TX750 PSU
    Watercooled ST 120.3 & TC 120.1 / MCP35X XSPC Top / Apogee HD Block | WIN7 64 Bit HP | Corsair 800D Obsidian Case

First Computer: Commodore Vic 20 (circa 1981).

At 3407mhz the computational power seems to be a little more than a Intel Q6600 at 3600mhz but it is much smoother in usage.
    Sigworthy!

Xtreme Addict
    It's hard not to like the Phenom II's, they're like the little engine that could...
    Asus G73- i7-740QM, Mobility 5870, 6Gb DDR3-1333, OCZ Vertex II 90Gb

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Thanks guys..
    Sometimes we focus too much on numbers and is this one 2.5% better than that one where the reality is in "how much fun is the machine to use every day?"
    On the machines I use for DC work I do look from the viewpoint of production/time/electrical cost but for a daily driver I don't.
    I want a cool running, reasonably quiet, reasonably powerfull machine at a stable speed that I can count on every day.
    This seems to be that machine from what I've seen so far.
    As to an "Intel guy" that is a improper perception.
    I buy what I think is best at the time and blue or green isn't an issue. Just a machine to do what I need from it.
    Same with video cards.. I have both ATI and nVidia..
    I have no loyalty to either, just what is the best for the usage at the time.
    This is why it frustrates the living sheet out of me to see people that absolutely have their eyes closed to anything but what they love..fanboyism to a company is the worst mistake anyone can make.
    Buy what you like, what you can afford and what makes you happy and the hell with what anyone else says.

Xtreme Addict
    nice system you got........

for most cases it is not difficult to buy computer parts Money or brand or feature etc.

Xtreme Mentor
    Thanks guys..
    Sometimes we focus too much on numbers and is this one 2.5% better than that one where the reality is in "how much fun is the machine to use every day?"
    On the machines I use for DC work I do look from the viewpoint of production/time/electrical cost but for a daily driver I don't.
    I want a cool running, reasonably quiet, reasonably powerfull machine at a stable speed that I can count on every day.
    This seems to be that machine from what I've seen so far.
    As to an "Intel guy" that is a improper perception.
    I buy what I think is best at the time and blue or green isn't an issue. Just a machine to do what I need from it.
    Same with video cards.. I have both ATI and nVidia..
    I have no loyalty to either, just what is the best for the usage at the time.
    This is why it frustrates the living sheet out of me to see people that absolutely have their eyes closed to anything but what they love..fanboyism to a company is the worst mistake anyone can make.
    Buy what you like, what you can afford and what makes you happy and the hell with what anyone else says.
    This

We have very similar POV despite age difference (not to mention geographical distance). I'm using AMD hardware right now because that's what I like. It's not as widespread as Intel and different to it. But I'm giving Intel full credit for bringing such a monster CPU as i7 is! If I will need that much power I will buy it!
    I have my favorite CPU brand, but that doesn't stop me from typing this post on a C2D laptop. I bought Atom based nettop for my wife because that platform suited her needs best!
    I'm basically loyal to brand as far as it fits within my needs.

In the end we all should be more or less fans of hardware/brands which suits us, but not fanboys whose only endlessly argue opposite side arguments without even trying to look at it from different POV.

If ever I will go to U.S. I would like to meet you and have some chat and beer! (not to mention torture a bit your Dualies!!! )
    RiG1: Ryzen 7 1700 @4.0GHz 1.39V, Asus X370 Prime, G.Skill RipJaws 2x8GB 3200MHz CL14 Samsung B-die, TuL Vega 56 Stock, Samsung SS805 100GB SLC SDD (OS Drive) + 512GB Evo 850 SSD (2nd OS Drive) + 3TB Seagate + 1TB Seagate, BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W

RiG2: HTPC AMD A10-7850K APU, 2x8GB Kingstone HyperX 2400C12, AsRock FM2A88M Extreme4+, 128GB SSD + 640GB Samsung 7200, LG Blu-ray Recorder, Thermaltake BACH, Hiper 4M880 880W PSU

SmartPhone Samsung Galaxy S7 EDGE
    XBONE paired with 55'' Samsung LED 3D TV

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Part of that is the raptor but it's only a part.
    I noticed that with my old AMD machine as well (X2 3800+, M2N-SLI Deluxe, 2GB DDR2-800, Raptor 74GB drive). It just "felt" fast. For normal Windows usage it seemed to run smoother than the E6600, Q6700, E8400, Q9550, and now the i7 920 that came after it.

They're all faster gaming chips, naturally, and I've had progressively faster GPUs, but it just surprised me how much more sluggish Windows felt with the Intel chips even though the Intel machines all had 4GB of DDR2-1000 or higher.

EDIT: And it's awesome that AMD is finally making a competitive product. A lot more people are running AMD than there used to be a year or two ago. Good for them!
    Last edited by YMAA; 07-13-2009 at 10:46 AM.

• i7 920 D0 // eVGA X58 SLI // 12GB G.Skill Ripjaws // HD6950 (6970 BIOS)
    • Apogee XT // MCP655 // Thermochill PA120.3 // CM HAF 932
    • OCZ Vertex 3 MI edition // ASUS Xonar DX // Corsair TX850
    • HTC Incredible - Uber Kingdom Revolution ROM

Xtreme Addict
    This perceived speed difference thing is really making me wonder. Do AMD CPUs process the Windows GUI/interface differently somehow? Maybe there are differences there in the way different CPUs handle different web browsers. AMD Phenoms are uber fast with Firefox for some reason. Browsers have been benchmarked and I think there are explanations as to why, but what can we do to test CPUs this way? I always figured AMD's HyperTransport smoothed things out when compared to FSB based Intel CPUs, but now yall are saying they seem faster than Core i7s. As I believe humans are capable of perceiving a lot, there has to be some way to test what this difference is.
    Core i7 2600K@4.6Ghz| 16GB G.Skill@2133Mhz 9-11-10-28-38 1.65v| ASUS P8Z77-V PRO | Corsair 750i PSU | ASUS GTX 980 OC | Xonar DSX | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB |A bunch of HDDs and terabytes | Oculus Rift w/ touch | ASUS 24" 144Hz G-sync monitor

Quote Originally Posted by phelan1777 View Post
    Hail fellow warrior albeit a surat Mercenary. I Hail to you from the Clans, Ghost Bear that is (Yes freebirth we still do and shall always view mercenaries with great disdain!) I have long been an honorable warrior of the mighty Warden Clan Ghost Bear the honorable Bekker surname. I salute your tenacity to show your freebirth sibkin their ignorance!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechromancer View Post
    This perceived speed difference thing is really making me wonder. Do AMD CPUs process the Windows GUI/interface differently somehow? Maybe there are differences there in the way different CPUs handle different web browsers. AMD Phenoms are uber fast with Firefox for some reason. Browsers have been benchmarked and I think there are explanations as to why, but what can we do to test CPUs this way? I always figured AMD's HyperTransport smoothed things out when compared to FSB based Intel CPUs, but now yall are saying they seem faster than Core i7s. As I believe humans are capable of perceiving a lot, there has to be some way to test what this difference is.
    Don't forget the "smoother in games" feeling too ,so it's not just the web browsing

Xtreme Guru
    especially cpu intensive games such as: solitare
    mobo: strix b350f
    gpu: rx580 1366/2000
    cpu: ryzen 1700 @ 3.8ghz
    ram: 32 gb gskill 2400 @ 3000
    psu: coarsair 1kw
    hdd's: samsung 500gb ssd 1tb & 3tb hdd

Quote Originally Posted by i found nemo View Post
    especially cpu intensive games such as: solitare
    The Cardboard Master
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

I have had a wide variety of components, from Intel, AMD, Nvidia, Ati. I just enjoy computer hardware, and tweaking it to the best of my abilities.
    I have no respect for people that are close minded to the other side. I just comes down to the fact the AMD is a blast to tinker with, and I think Dave just found out why.
    I will look forward to further updates.

BTW: How old are you Dave....really? I am errr......41 myself.
    C3 Phenom II 965 BE (0941CPMW)
    Msi 790Fx-GD 70
    2x2 gb OCZ AMD Black Edition 1600mhz DDR 3
    2x MSI HD 5850's OC edition X-fire
    2x Western Digital 250gb 16mb cache Raid-0
    1x Seagate 1 TB Data
    SILVERSTONE|DA700 700W RT Power Supply
    Koolance INX-720 (Koolance 345 block)
    LianLi pc-60fwb

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
    I have had a wide variety of components, from Intel, AMD, Nvidia, Ati. I just enjoy computer hardware, and tweaking it to the best of my abilities.
    I have no respect for people that are close minded to the other side. I just comes down to the fact the AMD is a blast to tinker with, and I think Dave just found out why.
    I will look forward to further updates.

BTW: How old are you Dave....really? I am errr......41 myself.
    me? 57, 1/2 way to 58..

Xtreme Addict
    The reason I don't like intel at the moment is that they are too darned easy to OC... I mean, my E8400 shot sky high with zero effort. I literally had my E8400 4Ghz stable in less than a week of testing. That's not really a "bad" thing, but how boring is that? A week and I already am done?

I've had my 720BE for a couple months now and I'm still tweaking in my OC. Now that is value... entertainment value
    Asus G73- i7-740QM, Mobility 5870, 6Gb DDR3-1333, OCZ Vertex II 90Gb

Xtreme Legend
    Just grabbed it

you can use GIMP as well
    free version of photoshop pretty much hehe
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Here's an interesting obsevation for you guys;
    I've had the 940 system crunching WCG @3407mhz for the last 30 hours straight and the "credits per cpu second" are almost identical to my gainestown at 3458mhz..
    I mean so close it's comical.
    Now the gainestown has HT enabled so that is a factor but what it is showing me is the true power of the AMD system.

Xtreme Addict
    I've had the 940 system crunching WCG @3407mhz for the last 30 hours straight and the "credits per cpu second" are almost identical to my gainestown at 3458mhz..
    Now the gainestown has HT enabled so that is a factor but what it is showing me is the true power of the AMD system.
    thats interesting, keep the info coming. its nice to see a comparison from one who actualy has both.

Quick questiong too, at what speed do you have your NB running?
    Last edited by G0ldBr1ck; 07-13-2009 at 05:13 PM.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Live Long And Overclock
    Translation:

"I has a new MISTRESS, and her name is AMD"

Good to see you're having fun with the PII MM, I see you have converted one lost soul already

Perkam

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast