Thread: (Another) GPU pot insulation guide

Wanna look under my kilt?

(Another) GPU pot insulation guide

Thanks to buckeye for prodding me on this one

Prepping a mobo + CPU pot is easy, GPUs are a bit harder because of the angled contact surface

I started insulating my new MousePot today, thought that some pics might give ideas to folk who might have to deal with this in future.

Always check clearances et al before starting

Deal with awkward bits first:

When cutting lengths of neop tape, make sure you cut it slightly longer than the measured distance suggests- if the neop is stretched, it will start to pull back over time and the more layers you have, the worse it will be.

Make sure the tape sits as tightly against brackets, edges etc as possible. Condensation is sneaky.

When putting strips next to each, use a small overlap, then when its roughly applied, pull the top layer back and in, so it fits snug against the strip thats already on.

If done right, the join line all but disappears.

This is how it looks afterwards- it will never be *as* good when there are a lot of corners to deal with, but long straights will fit better.

When a layer is done, LEAVE IT ALONE FOR A WHILE! The neop needs to settle. Adding layers too quickly means its more likely to bugger up when it all settles.

Use as few bits of tape as possible. The fewer join lines the better, and deffo avoid patchworks if you can

This has taken me a few attempts to get "right-" Dan, Busta and Barron have seen my earlier attempts

Layer 2:

I cut a strip in two, so once applied, the seam lines wouldnt match up- brickwork effect. Slightly stronger and doesnt offer a direct set of paths from the pot to the external air.

I chose to cut down the sections at the top + bottom to be flush with the metal so I could use a simple square piece of insulation around the mounting plate- simple join lines create fewer gaps, especially given the height of the studs to hold on the plate.

Next layer goes on, with cut-outs for the corners of the hold-down. Things dont 100% match up here. The thickness + dimensions of the plate are at odds with the thickness of the neoprene by about 1mm, but by the time its finished it shouldnt matter.

One-piece contact surface surround added. Nice tight fit. Next layer will cover the sides of this and the exposed metal

Next layer:

The hold-down plate is now completely surrounded. (although theres a gap between that and the neoprene)

The line in the neoprene is to mark the top of the PCB. Theres some difference in distance between the core and the top of the PCB between different GPUs but not much.

The last couple layers have thrown up a few mistakes because iv been doing this when iv not been fully awake. Still fairly happy with the work overall. Still a few more bits to be added/tweaked.

The only pics missing are of the back of the pot where i built up a few more layers.

Thanks to XS admin for choosing to allow unlimited images per post

Will edit this with a few more pictures of how the pot looks when I can. Maybe in the next few days
    Last edited by K404; 07-11-2009 at 09:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Administrator
    Very nicely done !!

Thanks for posting that, you did a great job !!

¿
    I like your style, well done M8

-100c Club Member
    smart job kenny

where do mount the k prob
    1. The first rule of Bench Club is, you do not talk about Bench Club
    2. The second rule of Bench Club is, you do not talk about Bench Club
    3. If someone says stop, goes limp, taps out, the the benching is over
    4. No bummers in the batcave, apart from unkie dave
    5. One Bench at a time
    6. No air, no water
    7. Benching will go on as long as they have to
    8. If this is your first night at Bench Club, you have to Bench

Thanks Baz

Jason pre-drilled for a probe 2.5mm from surface, at the middle of one side
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Guru
    that arma tape is great stuff for insulating gpu pots, even though if you want to take it off afterward it leaves that glue gunk on the surface of what ever it has been used on.. its not really a problem it can be easily dealt with acetone.
    Evga X58 sli under cascade
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=219788
    Evga X58 Sli ultimate overclocking/ overview/ discussion thread
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=221082

proud owner of E8600 Q822A435

Yea. Im liking buckeyes idea of using a layer of tape first. Easier to remove.

I struggled a bit cleaning up the pots with acetone. Jason used petrol which is apparently much better for the job
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Great insulation job Kenny, will work well.

Xtreme Member
    well done K404, very nice photos

Nice guide! Can you add some pics of insulating PCIe by vaseline or something like that? :-)

Xtreme Member
    REALLY tidy work there Kenny, something I need to focus on more in all aspects of insulation. thanks for this guide.

Quote Originally Posted by BAGR_001 View Post
    Nice guide! Can you add some pics of insulating PCIe by vaseline or something like that? :-)
    If you really want to see pictures of my fingers covered in vaseline....ok then bro!

Thaks for the comments guys
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Xtreme Member
    Very good idea...

I am Xtreme
    @k404

what is this pot? looks insanely heavy unless theres not much copper inside lol

Hey bro! It's a MousePot Rev4. The internals are made by a single, simple bore hole. I still have the pot and it's still using the same insulation as the guide Still in great condition too
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Thats perdy, good job!