Thread: Kingpin F1 Dark Preview

Xtreme Enthusiast

Kingpin F1 Dark Preview

You might have seen this elsewhere already. I'm posting in multiple places because this thing is so darn good looking. Anyway, I had the "photo shoot" of this beast last night and can't help but share a few. It's just a great looking piece of hardware. The review will be written after I have a chance to drive it cold.

If you have never taken photos of something that shiny and that dark, it is difficult to say the least. These were some of the best I could come up with, hope you like them!

You'll have to wait until the review for the rest. Barring unforeseen complication I plan on livestreaming with it during the day on Monday, January 16th on Sandy Bridge-E to test control and (time and LN2 allowing) Bulldozer to test balls-to-the-wall full pot action! Hope to start ~9am.
    [XC] gomeler - Public note: If you PM me to tell me that I am disrespectful at least have space in your PM box so I can tell you I don't care.

[XC] gomeler - I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.

I heart gomeler!

Yeah its a sexy pot - a few of us @ team OCAU are using them.......its a shame we need to cover such nice work with inso.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'lll be benching LIVE, Monday, January 16th @ ~9:30AM EST

Sub-zero benching tomorrow starting with Intel’s Sandy Bridge-E platform and (time & LN2 allowing) AMD’s FX platform after that.

Tune in to Overclockers Live! at ~9:30 a.m. EST (plus or minus 15 minutes)for some overclocking with liquid nitrogen (LN2).
    ... Return to article to continue reading.
    [XC] gomeler - Public note: If you PM me to tell me that I am disrespectful at least have space in your PM box so I can tell you I don't care.

I heart gomeler!

Xtreme Enthusiast

I heart gomeler!

I am Xtreme
    if you want live action.....this is it

sorry no :banana::banana::banana::banana: if you thought of that...

its still live...i mean the chip and the bencher...and the stream

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Today was a very fun if only partially productive day. The 3960X was a massive fail on cold. Its 5.1GHz brick wall on water didn't move one MHz on LN2. So I just ran the Mini-Forum Wars benches and tore it down.

(htpp = hardware team power points & ugp = user global points)

3960X Benches

SuperPi 1M: 7.375s - 2.1 htpp
    UC Bench: 1831.2 - 2.4 htpp
    WPrime 1024M - 100.999s - 2.0 htpp / 3.8 ugp

3D Bonus Benches

3DMark03: 158711 - 2.2 htpp / 16.7 ugp
    Heaven DX9: 4944.39 - 3.6 htpp

Then I tortured the hell out of the FX-8150. I mean that quite literally. It wouldn't get above 7651MHz for validation. So I ran all the benches at the highest I could.....then made it scream. It was going to give me some more megahurtz or it was going to die trying.

FX-8150 Benches

SuperPi 1M: 11.468s - 5.4 htpp
    SuperPi 32M: 11:54.813 - 5.5 htpp
    PiFast: 21.36s - 6.1 htpp
    UC Bench: 1670 - 6.3 htpp
    WPrime 32M: 4.765s - 2.9 htpp / 9.3 ugp
    WPrime 1024M: 151.172s - 2.6 htpp
    CPUz: 7651.2MHz - 3.6 htpp / 18.9 ugp

.....it died trying at 2.3V. RIP.

Now pictures!

3960X light freezing.

FX-8150 all kinds of frozen.

Cool frost formation.

All in all a very fun day. Thanks to everyone that stopped by and watched!
    Last edited by hokiealumnus; 01-16-2012 at 08:20 PM.

I heart gomeler!

I am Xtreme
    whats that heatgun? looks good for our pots

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Cheap Wagner from Home Depot. It worked quite nicely for quick post-Intel-disappointment teardown. As a bonus, it's easier to work with than a torch, if not quite as fast. It's also safer with a kid in the house.

I heart gomeler!

I am Xtreme
    i'll check that out at Hdepot - thanks

lol @ "post-Intel-disappointment teardown"

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Review is up!

Overclockers have always been a bit extreme – we take hardware many people are perfectly satisfied with and then push every last MHz we can out of it within our cooling limits. Some choose air cooling, some choose water cooling. Then there are the crazy people.
    ... Return to article to continue reading.

It even comes complete with a quick tutorial on how I insulate.

Of course I'm still subscribed if anyone has questions or comments.
    Last edited by hokiealumnus; 01-29-2012 at 09:43 PM.

I heart gomeler!

Nice effort Hokie, look forward to more from you and that in the future..
    My comments..
    "Dark pot is for all the guys that liked the heavy feel and super easy control of the EE so much.
    Your review seems to point that out This new Dark pot like its predecessor (EE) is optimized for cpus with coldbugs where temperature control and minimized swing from pours (up and down) is key. Sandy and Sandy-E are good examples of this. For FULL pot benching such as AMD cpus or in the past INTEL K processors and where lighting fast pulldown is needed, the Gemini pot (with rocket base) is more suited for that kind of benching. Its why I sell both pots now, they are both REALLY great at what they were designed to do."

Xtreme Guru
    any vids on youtube?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Regretfully no. The livestream was told to save, but unfortunately did not do so. Sometime in March (or April) I'm going to do a live demo'ish thing at CompUSA and hopefully that one will save.

I heart gomeler!

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiealumnus View Post
    Regretfully no. The livestream was told to save, but unfortunately did not do so. Sometime in March (or April) I'm going to do a live demo'ish thing at CompUSA and hopefully that one will save.

we can't wait that long man.

http://youtu.be/iLoEVWgPW6Q

it ends a little abruptly I just wanted to get the word out there on the airwaves that vince has some fresh aces up his sleeve.
    I'll do a follow up vid later on.

Great job vinnie and hokie for the footage. Huge thanks to Chrysler for loaning us the 1994 Lebaron for the vid and the patient gal at microsoft activation.
    Last edited by trans am; 02-07-2012 at 09:00 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hahahaha....well allrighty then.

I heart gomeler!