Thread: VGA insulation

VGA insulation

Hi, I started benching VGA under LN2 iwth my own POT (single VGA). Everything was OK, I put eraser around all PCB. PCIe slot I insulated with plastic eraser, electrical tape and paper napkins. I benched VGA (GTX 260) for 5h on Rampage extreme without problem. PCIe slot was dry. But troubles started when I wanted bench 3-way SLI of GTX 260 under LN2 (Rampage II extreme). I insulated VGAs same as single card. After 1h of benching my system was crashing in 3DM 06 on default! I uninstalled VGAs from MB. PCIe slots was full of water! when I dried them, system runs OK, but after hour i had the same problem with system :-( Can you tell me please how to insulate PCIe slots and VGAs. How to prevent these problems? Thanks.

PS: Excuse my mess please.

Xtreme Guru
    the card insulation looks just fine to me.. i've heard that guys use dielectric grease in the pci-e socket sometimes if the weather is really humid.
    Evga X58 sli under cascade
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=219788
    Evga X58 Sli ultimate overclocking/ overview/ discussion thread
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=221082

proud owner of E8600 Q822A435

Quote Originally Posted by Solarfall View Post
    the card insulation looks just fine to me.. i've heard that guys use dielectric grease in the pci-e socket sometimes if the weather is really humid.
    Can you send me link for that dielectric grease? If you apply it on PCIe, can you clean it after session? I wanted insulate slot using a silicon, but it is uncleanable and it dries for a long time :-(

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Vaseline works also, and no, it isn't easily removed after the session. Not a huge issue for a benching board though

NooB MOD
    OT: Which PSU is that? The wiring is very neat.
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Quote Originally Posted by Oj101 View Post
    OT: Which PSU is that? The wiring is very neat.
    PSU is Corsair HX 1000W

Xtreme Legend
    use LOTS of vaseline in the PCIe slots
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    Vaseline works also, and no, it isn't easily removed after the session. Not a huge issue for a benching board though
    Yes, I can apply vaseline to benching board and IŽll have 100% guarantee of waterproof. But iŽm looking for something to donŽt "destroy" the board. If something that exist...

Administrator
    Hey there Bagr

Nice work with you setup and prepping !

Just a few days ago I prepped my EVGA 280gtx for LN2 and had pretty good results with how I did it.

Thanks Punx/Shannon from EVGA for the tip on how to do this.

I have not used many GPU's for LN2 as I only have a few cards to setup with and I really was not all that excited about taking a chance on messing one of my cards up with a bad prep. I also did not want to put it in a state where it would be a nightmare to clean up.

So Punx suggested I use Liquid Electrical Tape and man that stuff worked very nice. It just paints on and covers very nice, does smell a bit bad tho. while painting it on. Plus it will peel off very easly when you are done so you can put your card back in its orgional state with stock air cooler.

I have seen Liquid Electrical Tape used before but never tried it until now, I really like it.

Wanna look under my kilt?
    Because the PCI-E slot to leaf-out is in an awkward place and quite a large surface area, dielectric grease is the only real way to do it right. Sure, it *might* affect the resale value but its better than the pennies you'll get for a dead board.....

I have neop cutouts for either side of a PCI-E slot for GPU benching. Nearby caps are a pain though.

Also have a thick sheet for the back of the slot
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Addict
    I have used die-electric in my cpu socket and after i killed the mobo i took the cpu out and re-used it in a new mobo.
    It still had/has die-electric on the cpu, i didnt bother trying to clean it. Just slapped the cpu in the new mobo.
    Its still working.

Going to have to give vasolene a try with my idea of using my SS phase
    to cool my water set-up. If i get any condensation.
    ^^^^^All shaken, (from the earthquake) not stirred^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    There's a lot less voodoo in watercooling than is assumed
    The only thing future proof in electronics, is the electricity itself.

Any one who relies on only one source of information is a fool.

Wanna look under my kilt?
    oh yea- things work fine even if they have dielec on them. It moves out the way of sprung pins without any bother.

Having dielec on a component harms RMA success aor if ya sell it on the new owner might get an uneasy feeling about the gear...like something BAD has happened to it
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Ok, realy thanks. Now I see, the dielec is the only way, how to perfect insulate PCIe slot.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    oh yea- things work fine even if they have dielec on them. It moves out the way of sprung pins without any bother.

Having dielec on a component harms RMA success aor if ya sell it on the new owner might get an uneasy feeling about the gear...like something BAD has happened to it
    when i used that stuff to insulate my boards in the past it was fairly easy to clean the mess off with somesort of a alcohol based stuff like acetone or thinner.

Quote Originally Posted by BAGR_001 View Post
    Ok, realy thanks. Now I see, the dielec is the only way, how to perfect insulate PCIe slot.
    also white Vaseline is something you should look into, i've used it in the past and it does a great job in protecting your gear from condensation. you can find it from your local pharmacy
    Evga X58 sli under cascade
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=219788
    Evga X58 Sli ultimate overclocking/ overview/ discussion thread
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=221082

proud owner of E8600 Q822A435

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Is it not possible to put some eraser on the pci-e slot after the card is in place? I can only imagine that this would create a seal and prevent moisture from entering.

Quote Originally Posted by DFI pit bull View Post
    Is it not possible to put some eraser on the pci-e slot after the card is in place? I can only imagine that this would create a seal and prevent moisture from entering.
    Thanks. I was thinking about that before, but you can do that easily ony if you have single card. If you have multi cards system, applying rubber on VGAs and PCIes is much difficult. IŽll try it too on next LN2 session.

Xtreme Member
    @TS : Where to buy LN2 VGA pot ?