Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I go with 4 10's or 1 18" sub?

Xtreme Mentor
    Do I see a Solo X in there?

Why didnt you just go for 2 subs? It does look pretty small for 4...

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by slim142 View Post
    Do I see a Solo X in there?

Why didnt you just go for 2 subs? It does look pretty small for 4...
    I wish they were solo-x. Just two 2001 L7's (black ones) and 2 2005 L5's (silver ones).

Because I have 4

Stage 2 will be removing the rear seat and installing a seat on each side of the box with a pillar in the center for more box volume plus a port. Should end up near 8 cubes hopefully.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    I wish they were solo-x. Just two 2001 L7's (black ones) and 2 2005 L5's (silver ones).

Because I have 4

Stage 2 will be removing the rear seat and installing a seat on each side of the box with a pillar in the center for more box volume plus a port. Should end up near 8 cubes hopefully.
    That sounds killer
    How long will it take for that mod to be done?
    One question, why are you mixing different subs?
    And I thought you said you would go for Pionners or Alpines before kicker, or is it because you had those already?

c[_]
    Will be a while before I get to it.

Because its hard to find 2001 L7's to match what I had.

I said before CVX's or CVR's. L7's and L5's are better

Box and subs in. Tweeter sitting on top of the box... need to mount those somewhere

edit - yes the protection frame thing on the L7 is broken... the box fell off its stand while we were mounting the subs and it landed on the frame breaking it. No damage to anything else though so thats good.

Last edited by STEvil; 08-10-2009 at 06:22 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Will be a while before I get to it.

Because its hard to find 2001 L7's to match what I had.

I said before CVX's or CVR's. L7's and L5's are better

Box and subs in. Tweeter sitting on top of the box... need to mount those somewhere

edit - yes the protection frame thing on the L7 is broken... the box fell off its stand while we were mounting the subs and it landed on the frame breaking it. No damage to anything else though so thats good.
    Do old kickers have something that new ones dont have or something? Sometimes I see people leaning towards the older models for some reason.

Isnt CVXs better than L7s? Even though they are "the same", I heard in a couple of forums they were better in quality I believe.

Wow man, your car is full of bass. Is it recommended to have the subs as low as possible or is it just personal taste?

c[_]
    Newer are probably better but not a big deal really

CVR's and CVX's suck compared to L7's. L5's its a toss-up if you start getting overboard with the power (L5's will burn up easier).

As low as possible? Its that or no seat pretty much.

Xtreme Mentor
    Newer are probably better but not a big deal really

CVR's and CVX's suck compared to L7's. L5's its a toss-up if you start getting overboard with the power (L5's will burn up easier).

As low as possible? Its that or no seat pretty much.
    I see, so Kicker is still a good option if we talk about L5 or L7.

About the position, you know some people like to put it in the trunk pointing up and usually they put it somewhat high. Some other people put it on top of the seat. Me personally because I have no space, but I dont know if there is any advantage if its lower or higher or if its just personal taste.

c[_]
    If you put them in the trunk the best place is against the rear seat facing the rear of the trunk.

I own a truck therefor I do not have a trunk.

If you have a hatchback the best position is against the rear seat facing up towards the hatch (usually means angled backwards about 15-30 degrees). Camaro's will hammer insanely with that kind of setup.

Height will depend on the setup but on average its not something to worry about as long as you are placing the subs in the optimal direction and placement.

Xtreme Mentor
    Thx for the tip

Remember to put pics when u get that pillar done

Xtreme Mentor
    STEvil

Two things. First, what happened to the pictures?

Second, How does the low pass filter work? I have it on 75Hz, does that mean anything above 75Hz gets blocked or anything below gets blocked?

c[_]
    moved them to a different directory: http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/c...e%2010%20box1/

edit - low pass cuts out high frequency (not exact at 75hz as for given example, will have a "roll-off")

Xtreme Mentor
    Oh I see
    What about sub sonic? Is it good to have it lower or higher? I believe mine is in 25Hz
    Wouldnt it damage the sub if its too low?

c[_]
    depends how your system is configured.

I dont use a subsonic filter unless I have to..

Xtreme Mentor
    I see, Ill leave my system where it is then

Btw, I did buy the Pioneer Premier PRO TS-W3002D4 which I will set up @ 2ohms.

With 1000watts RMS, will I be able to set off alarms? Will it be really loud? A lot of bass?

Remember Im coming from a 400watt CVR

1000 rms will bump pretty deep I am running only 500rms and I annoy my neighbor with it( sometimes he asks me turn it down), guys I would recommend zero 0 gauge power wire, this last time I installed my system I did this and I have had zero problems with my amp getting hot. Some guys will tell you it doesnt matter but it does I got some zero on ebay for a good deal.
    Threadripper X1950
    MSI X399 GAMING PRO CARBON
    PCPOWER&COOLING 950@one solid rail.
    NOCTUA
    Windows 10
    CRUNCHIN'EM FOR XS

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister1st View Post
    1000 rms will bump pretty deep I am running only 500rms and I annoy my neighbor with it( sometimes he asks me turn it down), guys I would recommend zero 0 gauge power wire, this last time I installed my system I did this and I have had zero problems with my amp getting hot. Some guys will tell you it doesnt matter but it does I got some zero on ebay for a good deal.
    Hmmm, the thing with you is that you can continuously run 500rms at high volume (I suppose right?). me, since my amp is 900 and sub is 400, I burn my coils whenever I play it too loud thats why Im upgrading.

I have 4 gauge cables. I might go for zero gauge once I get another car. Do you recommend the cables you bought? is eBay reliable for amp cables and stuff?
    Wouldnt like to buy and then blow something just by saving money.

Type in metra 0 gauge via ebay they have kits that are the best bang for the buck imo. I bought a metra kit just for that thick power wire I have had no dead battery or flickering lights and my amp doesnt overheat better for your alternator also.

http://cgi.ebay.com/METRA-1-0-GAUGE-...d=p3286.c0.m14

Monster cable will sell u a kit like that one for more money.
    Threadripper X1950
    NOCTUA
    Windows 10
    CRUNCHIN'EM FOR XS

Xtreme Mentor
    Interesting

I will definitely try those whenever I decide to upgrade my 1k rms sub. If you could post later on if everything went good it would be great.

c[_]
    I run 4 guage for 2500RMS. No amps getting hot here.

Your amps get hot because of poor cooling, poor design, or just pure inefficiency.

Besides that go look at what size your speaker cable and tinsel leads are (let alone if you have push terminals..).

I run 4 guage for 2500RMS. No amps getting hot here.

Your amps get hot because of poor cooling, poor design, or just pure inefficiency.

Besides that go look at what size your speaker cable and tinsel leads are (let alone if you have push terminals..).
    No push terminals and I only use the 0 gauge for my power wire. But the metra kit has plenty of extras. I have wired many many systems and have seen people use to small of a power wire 2 many times. 4 gauge power= no no imo. Your setup is nice but i dont like the square speakers. IM sure that beast setup will make ur throat sink in. 6-700 rms is all I need.

slim I have already installed with this kit and it rocks, i dont remember exactly wich metra kit it was but one of them off ebay with 0 gauge. I sent u link upthere. The only thing I didnt like in the kit was the rcas they looked cheap but they still are working fine for me and its been over a year. It makes me sick when i was a youngster and I had a install shop do my stuff with there little thin 4 or 2 gauge then every year I had to change there cheap little fuse then finally a new harness next was to throw that trash out and get better wire back then i had 2 12 inch memphis in a banpass(haha i know) and big mempis amp (when memphis was hot}

but now I have a modest setup in my caddy and it bumps got the 0 gauge doing throw the firewall and under carpet and no letdowns whatsoever besides me blowing out the front stocks. ESPECAILLY NO HEAT cause my wires AND amp arent begging for MOAAR POWER. FROM MY BATTERY.
    Threadripper X1950
    NOCTUA
    Windows 10
    CRUNCHIN'EM FOR XS

Xtreme Mentor
    slim I have already installed with this kit and it rocks, i dont remember exactly wich metra kit it was but one of them off ebay with 0 gauge. I sent u link upthere. The only thing I didnt like in the kit was the rcas they looked cheap but they still are working fine for me and its been over a year. It makes me sick when i was a youngster and I had a install shop do my stuff with there little thin 4 or 2 gauge then every year I had to change there cheap little fuse then finally a new harness next was to throw that trash out and get better wire back then i had 2 12 inch memphis in a banpass(haha i know) and big mempis amp (when memphis was hot}

but now I have a modest setup in my caddy and it bumps got the 0 gauge doing throw the firewall and under carpet and no letdowns whatsoever besides me blowing out the front stocks. ESPECAILLY NO HEAT cause my wires AND amp arent begging for MOAAR POWER. FROM MY BATTERY.
    Well yeah, a lot of people (wont say all) are telling me that going from 400 to 1000 will be a HUGE jump. We will find out in a week. But is true, most people are happy with 600rms thats what i heard.

One question, does it matter whether it is a branded cable kit or not?
    I dont want to make mistakes again and buying rockford kits which cost an eye and a leg (JUST FOR CABLES).

Quote Originally Posted by slim142 View Post
    Well yeah, a lot of people (wont say all) are telling me that going from 400 to 1000 will be a HUGE jump. We will find out in a week. But is true, most people are happy with 600rms thats what i heard.

One question, does it matter whether it is a branded cable kit or not?
    I dont want to make mistakes again and buying rockford kits which cost an eye and a leg (JUST FOR CABLES).

All playing aside, it is to each his own my friends. If you want to use 4 gauger go ahead but from my past experienced I have had nothing but problems. I would say if you did go with 4 gauger make sure u have a nice extra big harness and fuse, Branded you mean as in monster cable? It doesnt matter thats why I went with metra, they make alot of face kits for GM cars and have superior cable (thicker for less money). I think the power cable included in mine was about 17-19feet 0g superior. 400 to 1000 rms is a huge jump were talking the police giving you a ticket in traffic

sTevils install looks clean just like a clean install is supposed to be.
    Threadripper X1950
    NOCTUA
    Windows 10
    CRUNCHIN'EM FOR XS

Xtreme Mentor
    All playing aside, it is to each his own my friends. If you want to use 4 gauger go ahead but from my past experienced I have had nothing but problems. I would say if you did go with 4 gauger make sure u have a nice extra big harness and fuse, Branded you mean as in monster cable? It doesnt matter thats why I went with metra, they make alot of face kits for GM cars and have superior cable (thicker for less money). I think the power cable included in mine was about 17-19feet 0g superior. 400 to 1000 rms is a huge jump were talking the police giving you a ticket in traffic

sTevils install looks clean just like a clean install is supposed to be.
    Im currently using 4 gauge Rockford cables. Dont know how good they are but I havent had any problems. Just one time I played music with the car off for 3 hours and the battery died lol hahaha.

I will definitely try those Metra cables next time. I want to make sure I will be 3500rms READY

I think Im gonna go to the police department, have a little conversation to see if they are such @ssholes to put tickets because of little-too-loud subwoofers. Cmon, its Miami man, Loud music is everywhere

On the serious note, what are the costs of those noise tickets?
    I guess Im also gonna have to go to an empty parking lot with a friend to see where to limit my volume bar lol

But I also ask myself, why am I worrying so much when we have people like Stevil with more than 2000rms? LOL

c[_]
    I've never had a noise violation ticket or warning, but I turn my stuff down if i'm in a place where it might annoy people.

swapped to the 18 now btw.

Xtreme Mentor
    I've never had a noise violation ticket or warning, but I turn my stuff down if i'm in a place where it might annoy people.

swapped to the 18 now btw.
    Oh definitely, in a small plaza or by a church I wouldnt mind lowering the volume.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast