Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I go with 4 10's or 1 18" sub?

c[_]

Should I go with 4 10's or 1 18" sub?

Either 4 Kicker 10" L7's or a single MA Audio HardKore 18".

Going into a 1996 Chevy 2500 extended cab and will be powered by a Lanzar Opti2000D.

Decisions decisions

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Do you want a A LOT of bass in the mid-bass range, say 30-40Hz and up? Then go with the 10"

If you want some real deep bone shaking lows, say, sub 20Hz or so, then go for the 18".

Optimally for a well balanced system, you would probably want both an 18" and a 10" to compliment your mids and highs, but judging by the fact you said 4 10" subs, you probably aren't exactly looking for a well balanced system
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Lead Head View Post
    Do you want a A LOT of bass in the mid-bass range, say 30-40Hz and up? Then go with the 10"

If you want some real deep bone shaking lows, say, sub 20Hz or so, then go for the 18".

Optimally for a well balanced system, you would probably want both an 18" and a 10" to compliment your mids and highs, but judging by the fact you said 4 10" subs, you probably aren't exactly looking for a well balanced system
    A sub is a sub and cone area/driver mass (leaving box out of the equation to keep things simple...) dictate what frequency response will be, not the physical size of the sub.

The 4 L7's will have more cone area (slightly more given they are square rather than round) and cone mass than the 18 as well as more motor surface area (voice coil surface area/cone mass ratio will probably end up near the same). They should be able to hit a bit higher but will also hit just as low as the 18 (leaving box design out of the equation).

My actual intention is to maximize cone area to produce the lowest frequency reproduction I can achieve while maintaining passenger space (ie: not removing rear seat entirely). At average to moderate listening volumes the 10's should sound as good as any single sub but will not run out of output as fast should I choose to go louder

The only problem with the 10's is i'd need to find another pair lol :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7R16ryu6vc

Xtreme Enthusiast
    a 10 2 12's and a 15
    Last edited by trance565; 07-10-2009 at 11:13 PM.
    emptiness

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by trance565 View Post
    a 10 2 12's and a 15
    Funnily enough I was talking to someone a couple weeks ago that was doing that in a nearly identical vehicle.

I just laughed at him.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    4 L7īs ? I hope you got some serious amps, proper batteries and caps.

You really need a lot of juice to handle 4 L7īs. I tried 2 L7īs, and holy crap it was more than enough.
    In my experience the speakers are not so important. Whats important is beeing able to provide enough power.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    why would you laugh?

10's get your 20-1000hz range, 12's your 20-150, and your 15's would hit your 20-150's with the lowers hitting even harder, although if you have a proper 12, the 15 wouldnt be needed
    emptiness

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by Formann View Post
    4 L7īs ? I hope you got some serious amps, proper batteries and caps.

You really need a lot of juice to handle 4 L7īs. I tried 2 L7īs, and holy crap it was more than enough.
    In my experience the speakers are not so important. Whats important is beeing able to provide enough power.
    Lanzar Opti2000D. 2KW RMS @ 0.5 ohms. I used to run a pair of L7's from a Clarion DPX1000.1, worked awesome.

why would you laugh?

10's get your 20-1000hz range, 12's your 20-150, and your 15's would hit your 20-150's with the lowers hitting even harder, although if you have a proper 12, the 15 wouldnt be needed
    Because a decent driver would hit all of those frequencies well enough that you dont need to have a multitude of.. crap. Besides that I dont like hearing voices through the subwoofer (1000hz? are you nuts?). Subwoofers are for low frequency extension, too many people forget that and thats why there are so many poorly tuned systems out there..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    assuming this is for SPL competitions... whichever has highest sensativity and cone area and xmax...

i've got a pair of 10's in my mustang and it doesnt extend low enough for my likings, either 2 12's for a single 15 would have been better, then again im used to 4-8" woofers and a 12" sub w/ my home stereo...
    SYSTEM
    i5-3750K @ 4.6ghz - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 - 16GB Samsung DDR3 - Sapphire R7 370 Nitro 4GB
    Water Cooling
    EK Supremecy - DDC-3.2 w/XSPC Top -Swiftech MCR320-QP - EK Multioption 150

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    Lanzar Opti2000D. 2KW RMS @ 0.5 ohms. I used to run a pair of L7's from a Clarion DPX1000.1, worked awesome.

Because a decent driver would hit all of those frequencies well enough that you dont need to have a multitude of.. crap. Besides that I dont like hearing voices through the subwoofer (1000hz? are you nuts?). Subwoofers are for low frequency extension, too many people forget that and thats why there are so many poorly tuned systems out there..
    so you put a 300hz cross over on it

try this one

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-W8102SPL.html

20 lb of magnet mmmm
    Last edited by trance565; 07-11-2009 at 09:27 PM.
    emptiness

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadconeTuning View Post
    assuming this is for SPL competitions... whichever has highest sensativity and cone area and xmax...

i've got a pair of 10's in my mustang and it doesnt extend low enough for my likings, either 2 12's for a single 15 would have been better, then again im used to 4-8" woofers and a 12" sub w/ my home stereo...
    Not for SPL really, just want to extend into sub-sonic frequencies as much as possible

so you put a 300hz cross over on it

try this one

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-W8102SPL.html

20 lb of magnet mmmm
    No, i'll just stay away from tuning the subs and system that high to begin with.

No thanks, already have an 18" that will make that one cry

http://www.shopping.com/xPF-Ma-Audio-Kore-18
    Last edited by STEvil; 07-11-2009 at 09:58 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    lol, i've got a total of ... about 2500 watts max from my amps, pulling like ~100 amps, and my alternator cant keep up, a 10k watt amp would kill me lol. and i would have that sub going all the way to 500hz like it's supposed to, 5.25inch woofers suck for lows damn lexus
    emptiness

c[_]
    Gonna run the 18 for now but i'm building the box with a removable plate where the sub(s) can be installed. Really tight fit back there to get 5 cubic feet of box space and still be able to fit 2 passengers...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    that's alot of box
    emptiness

PI in the face
    that's alot of box
    thats what he said
    Quote Originally Posted by L0ud View Post
    So many opinions and so few screenshots

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'd run the 4-10's. Personally I like 2- 12's. I would never get an 18.
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Kayin View Post
    Should the RIAA ever target me, I will immediately forfeit US citizenship and move back to reservation, which has no extradition policy and would probably tell Whitey to get bent or we'll scalp you and take your women...
    Free Omastar!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Mentor
    I think 18s take out too much space. Maybe 2 15s? Have you considered that? 2 CVXs 12"s would pound really hard and save you some space.

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by slim142 View Post
    I think 18s take out too much space. Maybe 2 15s? Have you considered that? 2 CVXs 12"s would pound really hard and save you some space.
    CVX's suck. Would pick up Type R's or Premiers way before I touched one of those. RE's would be my top pick actually. Guy who designs their stuff used to work for RF.

Either way a single 18 still uses less space (if you want it to) than a pair of 15's, costs less, and has near the same output.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    CVX's suck. Would pick up Type R's or Premiers way before I touched one of those. RE's would be my top pick actually. Guy who designs their stuff used to work for RF.

Either way a single 18 still uses less space (if you want it to) than a pair of 15's, costs less, and has near the same output.
    Can I ask why do CVXs suck? Arent type Rs just 500 watts? and why premiers? What is special about them two that beats the CVX?

I have no idea what you mean by RE's. Sorry if I sound noob, still learning a lot of this sub brands

Xtreme Addict
    If you have a 10 with a frequency response of 30Hz+, putting 3 more wont make its response go lower as they are rated. If you want sub sonic, find one that will do below 20Hz.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Can I ask why do CVXs suck? Arent type Rs just 500 watts? and why premiers? What is special about them two that beats the CVX?

I have no idea what you mean by RE's. Sorry if I sound noob, still learning a lot of this sub brands
    sound quality.

look at the pictures of the cvx, and look at the pics of the premiers, just looking at them you can tell which one will sound better. max wattage doesn't really matter either, the RMS is what's important.
    emptiness

Xtreme Mentor
    sound quality.

look at the pictures of the cvx, and look at the pics of the premiers, just looking at them you can tell which one will sound better. max wattage doesn't really matter either, the RMS is what's important.
    Well, all kickers have those "designs", dont know how effective OR ineffective the designs are, but even with square subs, they still hit hard or else they wouldnt have such a good reputation right?

Now, I dont know about other people, but when I talk about wattage, I always talk about the RMS. I really hate to talk in terms of peak power cause thats just retarded no need to explain.

Now, I had a Type R which sounded good but couldnt go full potential because of the box. They are 500watts (RMS). Right now, I have a CVR which is 400watts (RMS) and it smells like burning when I put it too loud since its receiving 900watts (RMS) from my amplifier. The reason why Im leaning towards the CVX is because the CVX is basically an improved CVR (even when its the same as an L7, is still better according to some people) that works up to 750watts (RMS) and keeps the round shape to save some space (works on boxes designed for CVRs).

Now, when I play my sub loud, it sounds good, when I think about what a CVX would do in my car (350watts more power), I just wish I had the money to buy it. Besides I would get rid of that stupid burning smell.

c[_]
    Premiers are not much better than CVR's or CVX's but will hit "lower" than them easier due to better suspension design.

Resonant Engineering. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UNlCJSDahw

Quote Originally Posted by jas420221 View Post
    If you have a 10 with a frequency response of 30Hz+, putting 3 more wont make its response go lower as they are rated. If you want sub sonic, find one that will do below 20Hz.
    Displacement volume.

Well, all kickers have those "designs", dont know how effective OR ineffective the designs are, but even with square subs, they still hit hard or else they wouldnt have such a good reputation right?
    What designs? The plastic support on the cone? Its just to look cool, doesnt do anything (they'd make them out of carbon fiber if they wanted to do something with them).

Now, I dont know about other people, but when I talk about wattage, I always talk about the RMS. I really hate to talk in terms of peak power cause thats just retarded no need to explain.

Now, I had a Type R which sounded good but couldnt go full potential because of the box. They are 500watts (RMS). Right now, I have a CVR which is 400watts (RMS) and it smells like burning when I put it too loud since its receiving 900watts (RMS) from my amplifier. The reason why Im leaning towards the CVX is because the CVX is basically an improved CVR (even when its the same as an L7, is still better according to some people) that works up to 750watts (RMS) and keeps the round shape to save some space (works on boxes designed for CVRs).

Now, when I play my sub loud, it sounds good, when I think about what a CVX would do in my car (350watts more power), I just wish I had the money to buy it. Besides I would get rid of that stupid burning smell.
    How can a CVX be "still the same" as an L7? Square vs circle and the motor/suspension design of each is way different.

Either way your voice coils are dieing.

edit - This is what I really want. There are some good vids on youtube of these things. http://www.audiopulse.com/products/s...ers/lms-ultra/
    Last edited by STEvil; 07-21-2009 at 10:43 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Hey Stevil

So one question before spending the cash. Would the TS-W3002D4 be better than the CVX? Besides the fact that it is 1000RMS and you are saying it hits lower notes, will it be better than the cvx?

Comparing both 12" @ 2Ohms

c[_]
    What vehicle are you putting it in and where will the box be, and what amp will you be using? In general yes.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast