Thread: TSMC Joins CEA-Leti Program on Multiple E-Beam Lithography

Xtreme Addict

TSMC Joins CEA-Leti Program on Multiple E-Beam Lithography

TSMC has signed an agreement with CEA-Leti, French semiconductor research institute, in which TSMC will join its industrial program IMAGINE, on maskless lithography for IC manufacturing.

This three-year program allows companies to assess a maskless lithography infrastructure for IC manufacturing and use Mapper technology as a solution towards high throughput. It covers a global approach, including tool assessment, patterning and process integration, data handling, prototyping and cost analysis.
    http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english...090707/172685/
    Crosshair IV Formula
    Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.7G
    6950~>6970 @ 900/1300
    4 x 2G Ballistix 1333 CL6
    C300 64G
    Corsair TX 850W
    CM HAF 932

Xtreme X.I.P.
    maskless huh? mhhhh how would that work?
    i thought without a mask you actually cant get as small structures onto the silicon as without it since the light acts as a wave to some degree and the mask acts somewhat as a lense?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    i thought without a mask you actually cant get as small structures onto the silicon as without it since the light acts as a wave to some degree and the mask acts somewhat as a lense?
    It only depends how "crude" your tools are. Thats why we use the masks today.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    It only depends how "crude" your tools are. Thats why we use the masks today.
    what do you mean with crude?
    and who is we? i dont use any masks at all

Xtreme Mentor
    I am also not sure how they can be done without masks but the effectiveness of the process is sure increased without a mask even if it means making the IC at a higher nm.

Xtreme Member
    The maskless part comes in by using a focused beam of electrons as the exposing energy (which hits a resist). This beam can be scanned across the wafer in the precious pattern wanted by using electronic pattern generators. The problem with ebeam litho since its conception is that since the beam is scanned to define the desired pattern, this is inherently a serial process and limits throughoutput massively compared to a Optical mask based litho where the entire pattern is exposed at once in a parallel fashion.

Ebeam litho however is still used extensively in the research and prototyping as its extremely quick to draw out a pattern in a CAD program and feed it into tool and have in-situ lithography done very quickly without the need to design a make an expensive mask set.

The article is about creating multi-beam systems that would add parallelism to the pattern writing process, and maybe increase the throughoutput to make this economically feasible in a production environment.
    Last edited by flutie98; 07-08-2009 at 09:30 AM.
    |Core i5 2500K @ 4.6GHz|ASUS P8P67 Pro|8.0GB G.skill DDR3 1600|MSI GTX 260|
    |OCZ Vertex SSD|HP LP2465 24" LCD|Antec P182|Seasonic X750 PSU|H2O Cooling|Windows 7 x64|

|Core 2 Duo E6420|Asus P5K-VM|4.0GB DDR2|AMD Radeon 3450|Antec Fusion V2|Westinghouse 42" 1080P LCD|

|ThinkPad X61 Tablet|Core 2 Duo L7500|4.0GB DDR2|OCZ Vertex SSD|Windows 7|

Audio: EMU 0404->Onkyo TX-SR500 ->Polk LSi7's + Velodyne VX10

Xtreme X.I.P.
    wow thanks a lot flutie98
    makes perfect sense... and it sounds really promising actually, since you can have a variable exposure on tiny parts of the whole design!
    im curious how big a problem it is though that the exposure to the photoreact is not happening at the same time for the whole wafer...

with electrons you can do a lot of cool stuff too that you cant do with light, theres already equippment that can shoot one electron at the time, the accuracy over light should be huge.

Xtreme Member
    wow thanks a lot flutie98
    makes perfect sense... and it sounds really promising actually, since you can have a variable exposure on tiny parts of the whole design!
    im curious how big a problem it is though that the exposure to the photoreact is not happening at the same time for the whole wafer...

with electrons you can do a lot of cool stuff too that you cant do with light, theres already equippment that can shoot one electron at the time, the accuracy over light should be huge.
    The amount of electrons you pump into the resist to expose it (per unit area) called the Dose can be controlled incredibly accurate over the entire wafer with a simple picoameter.

Also its not the accuracy thats the benefit as both techniques can be aligned incredibly well nowadays with sub 100nm overlay accuracy. Its the achievable wavelength of incident radiation is the limiting factor of resolution, current optical wavelengths used for litho is 193nm and tricks are played to reduce linewidths. A focused ebeam can have a spot size as small as <1nm. I currently work at a university using a new Ebeam litho tool in which we have successfully written 8nm lines in resist.
    Last edited by flutie98; 07-08-2009 at 10:06 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    dont they use electron beam lithography to make masks?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumbucket843 View Post
    dont they use electron beam lithography to make masks?
    Yes
    |OCZ Vertex SSD|HP LP2465 24" LCD|Antec P182|Seasonic X750 PSU|H2O Cooling|Windows 7 x64|

|Core 2 Duo E6420|Asus P5K-VM|4.0GB DDR2|AMD Radeon 3450|Antec Fusion V2|Westinghouse 42" 1080P LCD|

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by flutie98 View Post
    The amount of electrons you pump into the resist to expose it (per unit area) called the Dose can be controlled incredibly accurate over the entire wafer with a simple picoameter.

Also its not the accuracy thats the benefit as both techniques can be aligned incredibly well nowadays with sub 100nm overlay accuracy. Its the achievable wavelength of incident radiation is the limiting factor of resolution, current optical wavelengths used for litho is 193nm and tricks are played to reduce linewidths. A focused ebeam can have a spot size as small as <1nm. I currently work at a university using a new Ebeam litho tool in which we have successfully written 8nm lines in resist.
    very interesting...

is it still a problem that the beam spreads out and isnt fully focussed?
    since its electrons, couldnt you use a really strong magnetic ring to bundle them until they hit the photoreact and prevent them from spreading?

its too bad there is no photoreact that requires a critical mass of exposure to react and as long as its not reached it doesnt react at all... that would be another way to get rid of all the unfocussed particle noise around the beam center...

this stuff is really interesting...
    and there people go saying we wont be able to shrink circuits below 12nm

Xtreme Member
    very interesting...

is it still a problem that the beam spreads out and isnt fully focussed?
    since its electrons, couldnt you use a really strong magnetic ring to bundle them until they hit the photoreact and prevent them from spreading?

its too bad there is no photoreact that requires a critical mass of exposure to react and as long as its not reached it doesnt react at all... that would be another way to get rid of all the unfocussed particle noise around the beam center...

this stuff is really interesting...
    and there people go saying we wont be able to shrink circuits below 12nm
    Well a final magnetic lens does focus them together as tightly as can be, but remember you are now fundamentally limited by the amount of coulomb repulsion from such a high density of same sign charge. So decrease the density you say? Well thats true, however now your decreasing the dose, and increasing exposure times.... Life is always a trade off

Edit: Also just because we have written 8nm lines, doesn't mean the rest of the Si processing steps needed to make a working transistor are able to work with 8nm precision. <12nm is still going to be a massive hurtle

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by flutie98 View Post
    Well a final magnetic lens does focus them together as tightly as can be, but remember you are now fundamentally limited by the amount of coulomb repulsion from such a high density of same sign charge. So decrease the density you say? Well thats true, however now your decreasing the dose, and increasing exposure times.... Life is always a trade off

Edit: Also just because we have written 8nm lines, doesn't mean the rest of the Si processing steps needed to make a working transistor are able to work with 8nm precision. <12nm is still going to be a massive hurtle
    ok, longer exposure time is a trade off, but thats something you can live with... if you parallelize the exposure well enough that shouldnt be a problem at all...
    sure, its expensive and coomplicated and takes time... im just laughing at people who say it cant be done... ever... at all...

why is the hurdle at 12nm? what exactly is the limitation there?

Xtreme Member
    ok, longer exposure time is a trade off, but thats something you can live with... if you parallelize the exposure well enough that shouldnt be a problem at all...
    sure, its expensive and coomplicated and takes time... im just laughing at people who say it cant be done... ever... at all...

why is the hurdle at 12nm? what exactly is the limitation there?
    As far as I know 12nm is not a magic number, but as we get close to the 10nm mark we are talking about gate lengths and other dimensions that are just a couple hundred atoms, Im not sure current Si cmos fabrication can be pushed that far. It is however on the ITRS roadmap for 2020, but only time will tell. My money is on a drastic shift from endless scaling of Si to a new material that is made larger, but can be used much faster.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    We are reaching the end of Si and need a new material. The one that are out there being used have there own problems like Germanium, Germanium strained on SI, Si strained with SI, Gallium arsenide, Gallium arsenide strained on SI with leakage. One of the new materials that might work out is Carbon (plastics).