Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: OCZ announces Vertex Turbo SSD series

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    Another problem is alligning partitions and selecting another than default allocation size cant be done without a running Windows OS. In short, you need to conf and setup the drive in Windows before you install Windows on it.
    Errr, not according to the 30s browse I took on OCZs forum. I thought you could just use the Windows install disc (or even download the recovery disc) and do the whole diskpart thing at the command prompt? Or am I confusing things here? (wouldn't be the first time )

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by RazzleUltra View Post
    Errr, not according to the 30s browse I took on OCZs forum. I thought you could just use the Windows install disc (or even download the recovery disc) and do the whole diskpart thing at the command prompt? Or am I confusing things here? (wouldn't be the first time )
    You mean this?

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=55238

Or do you mean the repair option in Vista/Win7?
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Xtreme Addict
    Another problem is alligning partitions and selecting another than default allocation size cant be done without a running Windows OS. In short, you need to conf and setup the drive in Windows before you install Windows on it.

Not to talk about all the registry edits and disabling of anything from hibernation and pagefiles to services while disabling prefetchers, change cache sizes, disable certain NTFS naming features, running 3rd party advanced defrag utility (no its not TRIM) etc to get a working product. For me this aint tweaking and performance tuning. Its hotfixing.
    I think the aligning thing is a non issue with Vista and up, but the rest still have to be manually done, and then back to the raid thing again, even with windows 7 if using a raid array it cant tell that your using SSD's and you gotta do all the tweaks manually (now that I think about it, im not even positive about the aligning with a raid since it doesnt know its a SSD there either)

Its new Technology and I am fully aware if the limitations, but the limitations with raid shouldn't be dismissed, since if your int he market for high end SSD's or WD Raptor drives, there is a good chance your also going to be using raid, so the limitations with that setup shouldn't be dismissed because there is work arounds for the lower performance single setup.
    Last edited by Zaskar; 07-09-2009 at 06:22 AM.
    EVGA X58 Classified
    Intel i7 965
    Corsair Dominator 1600mhz 3x2gb
    Nvidia GTX 295

SSD faster than your HDD
    You guys are confusing recommendations with requirements. Also.. change the default allocation size? Where did you pick that up?

I have 2 vertexs running here on Win 7. Disabled nothing but the Auto Defrag.

All the posts about prefetcher, etc etc etc are for the older Gen drives. Can you point me to where we tell everyone that they MUST do this or that on their Vertex drives or they will not work right?

Stop spreading fud about the Vertex drives please, they work just fine without disabling 10 services, etc.

BTW.. alignment of the partition on XP, even improves performance slightly on a rotational hard drive, so I don't see the harm in recommending that at all. Try it on your "other" hard drive.. performance just might go up.

Xtreme Cruncher
    You mean this?

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=55238

Or do you mean the repair option in Vista/Win7?
    I meant this:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=53756

(so yes, the 'repair' then 'command-prompt' method)

This seems simpler to me, as if you were installing Vista/Win7 you'd have the setup disc, and it's just a single extra step.

EDIT: Did some replies below mine just disappear?
    Last edited by XS_Rich; 07-09-2009 at 06:25 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I meant this:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=53756

(so yes, the 'repair' then 'command-prompt' method)

This seems simpler to me, as if you were installing Vista/Win7 you'd have the setup disc, and it's just a single extra step.
    But what about RAID? And why do I have to do it? I dont have to do such things on a Samsung or Intel SSD.

Xtreme Cruncher
    But what about RAID? And why do I have to do it? I dont have to do such things on a Samsung or Intel SSD.
    I've no idea about RAID.

Am I right in thinking that this doesn't need doing under Win7?

If so, isn't this just a case of needing a newer OS to take advantage / automatically deal with newer hardware?

Yes Intel & Samsung do it automatically, but they also carry quite a price premium. I'd be hard pressed to justify paying the extra to avoid having to diskpart the drive first.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I've no idea about RAID.

Am I right in thinking that this doesn't need doing under Win7?

If so, isn't this just a case of needing a newer OS to take advantage / automatically deal with newer hardware?

Yes Intel & Samsung do it automatically, but they also carry quite a price premium. I'd be hard pressed to justify paying the extra to avoid having to diskpart the drive first.
    Its the same for any OS. The only thing Win7 adds is TRIM basicly. Besides disabling scheduled defrag for SSDs.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Its the same for any OS. The only thing Win7 adds is TRIM basicly. Besides disabling scheduled defrag for SSDs.
    I'd probably best bow out as I'm clearly just playing catch-up with everyone else

On a personal note though, the necessity (or lack of) to align it first isn't going to put me off when I come round to upgrading to an SSD.

Xtreme Addict
    You don't have to do it in OCZ ones either...

Just because Samsung and Intel don't have forums where they post tweaks for how you can get some free extra performance makes ocz inferior?
    I just can't agree with that, besides, if you go to the ocz forums and look at the tweaks, most of them are just for Win Xp anyway.
    And you can't blame ocz if raid controllers are not designed for SSDs.

SLC
    Quote Originally Posted by RyderOCZ View Post
    BTW.. alignment of the partition on XP, even improves performance slightly on a rotational hard drive
    No it doesn't.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by naokaji View Post
    And you can't blame ocz if raid controllers are not designed for SSDs.
    No you cant, but you also cant dismiss the fact that TRIM doesn't work at all currently on RAID(and isn't even known if current motherboards or raid controllers will even be able to at all, depends if its firmware or driver support that's needed) and RAID is what the high end systems use for extra performance.

So when making a product for the enthusiast, you cant dismiss how it performs in the kinds of setups most of them will be using them in. Saying that TRIM wasn't used in the comparison to a normal HD is all fine and good, but for most of us looking to see how they will perform in a high end setup (RAID) this is the kind of thing we need to see, since the fact that you can use TRIM in lower end single drive setups is irrelevant to us.
    EVGA X58 Classified
    Intel i7 965
    Corsair Dominator 1600mhz 3x2gb
    Nvidia GTX 295

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaskar View Post
    No you cant, but you also cant dismiss the fact that TRIM doesn't work at all currently on RAID(and isn't even known if current motherboards or raid controllers will even be able to at all, depends if its firmware or driver support that's needed) and RAID is what the high end systems use for extra performance.
    You are right that the lack of TRIM when using raid is a problem, but my post was aimed at Shintai who tried to spin it into a argument against OCZ while forgetting that most other SSD manufacturers don't even give you TRIM on single drives.

Xtreme Mentor
    So which is better, use a single 60Gb drive for the OS or go with 2 x 30Gb drives in a RAID 0? I know with RAID you lose the capability of TRIM, but how necessary is that? I know Hardforum did a RAID scaling on W7 just recently and it looked like it is worth doing RAID, even if you do lose the capability of TRIM. Can't you just Clone the RAID array over to another drive, TRIM them and put the Clone back on?
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Utnorris View Post
    So which is better, use a single 60Gb drive for the OS or go with 2 x 30Gb drives in a RAID 0? I know with RAID you lose the capability of TRIM, but how necessary is that? I know Hardforum did a RAID scaling on W7 just recently and it looked like it is worth doing RAID, even if you do lose the capability of TRIM. Can't you just Clone the RAID array over to another drive, TRIM them and put the Clone back on?
    That makes no sense. You wouldnt need TRIM there since you could simply erase the drives. TRIM is essentially not needed at all. Its a minor enhancement. It marks the blocks for erase each time you delete a file etc. So to use it you would need it running always.

Banned
    Friendos...question

From what I read the OCZ Summit has some sort of auto TRIM when the drives are in idle for a while, so would that mean that a RAID 0 array with Summits could theoretically stay fresh and not degrade?

the jedi master
    Quote Originally Posted by One_Hertz View Post
    No it doesn't.
    can do and does massively in raid.

unaligned extra IO used.
    Got a problem with your OCZ product....?
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Tuning PC's for speed...Run whats fast, not what you think is fast

the jedi master
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron_Davis View Post
    Friendos...question

From what I read the OCZ Summit has some sort of auto TRIM when the drives are in idle for a while, so would that mean that a RAID 0 array with Summits could theoretically stay fresh and not degrade?
    Idle time garbage collection, FW18C and 1901, anything prior does not have it.
    Also
    vertex FW 1.3 has it
    Agility FW 1.3 has it
    EX FW 1.20 has it

this only restores drives to 80% tops, TRIM brings them to 95%.

So listening to shintai you will be losing 15% performance for nothing
    Got a problem with your OCZ product....?
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Tuning PC's for speed...Run whats fast, not what you think is fast

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Will win 7 properly allign a SSD if it is a non-member raid on ICH10?
    2600k @ 5ghz / z68 Pro / 8gb Ripjaws X / GTX 580 SLi
    2x Inferno raid 0 / WD 1TB Black / Thermaltake 1200w
    Dell 3008 WFP / Dual Loop WC MM UFO

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofander View Post
    Will win 7 properly allign a SSD if it is a non-member raid on ICH10?
    Yes, it should do so just fine. Windows 7 queries the drive for rotational speed, SSDs will report back 0, and Windows 7 will flag it as a SSD and enable the tweaks needed (disable defrag, align partition properly, etc).

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ExodusC View Post
    Yes, it should do so just fine. Windows 7 queries the drive for rotational speed, SSDs will report back 0, and Windows 7 will flag it as a SSD and enable the tweaks needed (disable defrag, align partition properly, etc).
    I just did a win7 install on my vertex as a nonmember raid and defrag was not disabled by default. I think it sees the ICH10 and not the drive when the mobo is set to raid

here comes a re-install

Xtreme Addict
    I just did a win7 install on my vertex as a nonmember raid and defrag was not disabled by default. I think it sees the ICH10 and not the drive when the mobo is set to raid

here comes a re-install
    Why would you reinstall. The alignment is going to be correct regardless.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Are you sure? Seems that win7 wasn't able to identify my drive as an SSD...

Xtreme Addict

here comes a re-install
    Do you have any hard drives in the system? Windows 7 may have enabled defrag to defragment those hard drives, if so. I've not installed using a SSD as a non-member when in a RAID system.

Quote Originally Posted by Praz View Post
    Why would you reinstall. The alignment is going to be correct regardless.
    This. Have you used a tool to check your alignment? There is information on the OCZ forums on how to do so. Windows 7 should have aligned it properly.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Tool link?

I have my ICH10 set to raid with 2 vraps in raid 0 for working storage and my vertex as my os/apps drive.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast