Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Google Plans to Introduce a PC Operating System

Xtreme Member
    Scary or not this is GONNA BE GOOD. At last something to end mocosoft monopoly, at least in the ultra low end

Cheap ass ARM based notebooks with chrome in it will rule the world! Why buy an atom-windows based netbook when a half size, half cost, no OS cost netbook can deliver the same or better performance ? after all netbooks are for internet and stuff, not for gaming.

Good read 1 and good read 2

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJohn View Post
    Scary or not this is GONNA BE GOOD. At last something to end mocosoft monopoly, at least in the ultra low end

Cheap ass ARM based notebooks with chrome in it will rule the world! Why buy an atom-windows based netbook when a half size, half cost, no OS cost netbook can deliver the same or better performance ? after all netbooks are for internet and stuff, not for gaming.
    at least, after all that's been said, especially in the Linux communities, Windows might be this evil dominant OS that we know, but it does'nt call home like Chrome OS will (attempt to) continuously. Agreed for the ultra low-end, in every possible way you can imagine. Google is not a company able to build an operating system. I've said it before in this thread, Chrome OS is going to be a Google centered Linux distro, not a new Operating System made by Google. This will never happen. They just don't have the skills nor the knowledge for this.
    Last edited by Logos; 07-10-2009 at 11:53 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Live Long And Overclock
    Quote Originally Posted by Thread
    Google Plans to Introduce a PC Operating System
    ...which will be in Beta for most of its life.

Perkam

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    at least, after all that's been said, especially in the Linux communities, Windows might be this evil dominant OS that we know, but it does'nt call home like Chrome OS will (attempt to) continuously. Agreed for the ultra low-end, in every possible way you can imagine. Google is not a company able to build an operating system. I've said it before in this thread, Chrome OS is going to be a Google centered Linux distro, not a new Operating System made by Google. This will never happen. They just don't have the skills nor the knowledge for this.
    Every linux distro is an operating system. The fact that they are all based on linux kernel doesn't make them any less OS than Windows or OSX.

It doesn't matter what kind of company is behind the OS, Google surely has people in-house who are contributing to many open source projects found in most linux based OS', hence they surely have knowledge in-house, not to mention resources.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Calmatory View Post
    Every linux distro is an operating system. The fact that they are all based on linux kernel doesn't make them any less OS than Windows or OSX.

It doesn't matter what kind of company is behind the OS, Google surely has people in-house who are contributing to many open source projects found in most linux based OS', hence they surely have knowledge in-house, not to mention resources.
    you misunderstood me I think: I don't deny to Linux the fact that each distro is an OS, but I deny the fact that each distro would be "another" operating system, compared to other distros, or compared to Windows and MAC. All distros are just (and that's not meant to make it sound restrictive) multiple customized versions of one Operating System: Linux + KDE/Gnome etc...+ different ways to manage repositories, to package software... And that's what Chrome OS will be about, another distro, powered by Google, and probably with their own GUI...and Chrome browser with web apps in the middle of it. They already said they wanted to make it as simple as possible (the GUI)... So, on a side note, we've seen what "simple" meant with Gnome...I know there's a public need for this (Ubuntu )

I agree they certainly have in the company OSS devs ready to give the best of themselves to achieve this goal, talented devs I mean, but you can't call this goal a "new" Operating System. Of course it's gonna be an OS, what else, but not one that Google has ever invented or will ever invent. Linux is the basis, and it's been there for almost twenty years now. If they want to join the Linux community, let them say it clearly. But hey that's not what they want. They want to use Linux; it's their damned right, the code is free and Open Source, but this doesn't grant them the right to try to fool people. A Linux based OS will never compete seriously with Windows. And I doubt that Google would change now what others have never been able to change in Linux for years and years, unless they (Google) have been secretly on it for a long long time ...standards, security, encryption etc...stuff that explains why Microsoft Windows has a 90% market share ...yeah...just thinking their web apps will be their "new standards"; let's wait an see how it evolves and how it's like when it's there So far web apps have been less than competitive when compared to locally installed software...hey, compare Picasa to it's web friend, Picasa web albums...pure Google stuff, I use it and I like it...and now compare what you can do with PC based Picasa to web Picasa (I know they're meant to communicate with each other, but that's not my point)...a million more things on the local hard disk version

ps: just to relativise my rant against Gnome and Ubuntu...and upcoming Chrome OS, don't get me wrong, I've been a Linux user, and there are other things that I liked and respected in Linux, but that's not the topic here. Look, may be Chrome OS will surprise us all but just one thing: the way Google made the announcement, with half a line of text in it to say that Chrome OS was based on the Linux kernel tells much about their opportunist orientations That's Google.
    Last edited by Logos; 07-10-2009 at 04:26 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    Why not just call it android? They think the "Chrome" brand is stronger than Android?
    Mojo stands for Compute Power!
    No need for powerfull CPUs or GPUs anymore. All you need is Mojo!

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    THATS WHAT THEY WANT YOU TO THINK

CAPS DO NOT WORK
    or do they?
    took 3 edits
    i7 2700k 4.60ghz -- Z68XP-UD4 F6F -- Ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz -- 560 Ti 448 stock!? -- Liquid Cooling Apogee XT -- Claro+ ATH-M50s -- U2711 2560x1440
    Majestouch 87 Blue -- Choc Mini Brown -- Poker Red -- MX11900 -- G9

YouTube Addict
    Let us hope they are smart enough to realize if they make the kernel API independent, then they can port the APIs of any operating system over to it and automatically get the software from those platforms behind their product. Its not an easy task and it will come with an associated 3% performance hit but it'll be worth it in reduce maintenance costs and several orders of magnitude less code to maintain.
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Addict
    true, the link about Google ways to treat their employees doesn't tell anything about their business intentions. Careful with risky confusions
    Last edited by Logos; 07-11-2009 at 12:07 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    Last edited by Logos; 07-11-2009 at 05:02 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    I wonder if it will be anything like chrome, where development of a proper adblock is nonexistant.
    Phenom 9950BE @ 3.24Ghz| ASUS M3A78-T | ASUS 4870 | 4gb G.SKILL DDR2-1000 |Silverstone Strider 600w ST60F| XFI Xtremegamer | Seagate 7200.10 320gb | Maxtor 200gb 7200rpm 16mb | Samsung 206BW | MCP655 | MCR320 | Apogee | MCW60 | MM U2-UFO |

A64 3800+ X2 AM2 @3.2Ghz| Biostar TF560 A2+ | 2gb Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 | Sapphire 3870 512mb | Aircooled inside a White MM-UFO Horizon |

Current Phenom overclock

Max Phenom overclock

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    you misunderstood me I think: I don't deny to Linux the fact that each distro is an OS, but I deny the fact that each distro would be "another" operating system, compared to other distros, or compared to Windows and MAC. All distros are just (and that's not meant to make it sound restrictive) multiple customized versions of one Operating System: Linux + KDE/Gnome etc...+ different ways to manage repositories, to package software... And that's what Chrome OS will be about, another distro, powered by Google, and probably with their own GUI...and Chrome browser with web apps in the middle of it. They already said they wanted to make it as simple as possible (the GUI)... So, on a side note, we've seen what "simple" meant with Gnome...I know there's a public need for this (Ubuntu )

I agree they certainly have in the company OSS devs ready to give the best of themselves to achieve this goal, talented devs I mean, but you can't call this goal a "new" Operating System. Of course it's gonna be an OS, what else, but not one that Google has ever invented or will ever invent. Linux is the basis, and it's been there for almost twenty years now. If they want to join the Linux community, let them say it clearly. But hey that's not what they want. They want to use Linux; it's their damned right, the code is free and Open Source, but this doesn't grant them the right to try to fool people. A Linux based OS will never compete seriously with Windows. And I doubt that Google would change now what others have never been able to change in Linux for years and years, unless they (Google) have been secretly on it for a long long time ...standards, security, encryption etc...stuff that explains why Microsoft Windows has a 90% market share ...yeah...just thinking their web apps will be their "new standards"; let's wait an see how it evolves and how it's like when it's there So far web apps have been less than competitive when compared to locally installed software...hey, compare Picasa to it's web friend, Picasa web albums...pure Google stuff, I use it and I like it...and now compare what you can do with PC based Picasa to web Picasa (I know they're meant to communicate with each other, but that's not my point)...a million more things on the local hard disk version

ps: just to relativise my rant against Gnome and Ubuntu...and upcoming Chrome OS, don't get me wrong, I've been a Linux user, and there are other things that I liked and respected in Linux, but that's not the topic here. Look, may be Chrome OS will surprise us all but just one thing: the way Google made the announcement, with half a line of text in it to say that Chrome OS was based on the Linux kernel tells much about their opportunist orientations That's Google.
    Google itself has made it pretty clear that the OS is going to be based on open-source code and work done for Android. Whether or not the popular media is carrying that through in their coverage is not Google's fault. I don't think they are trying to steal credit for all of the code by any means; the credit is for the design of the GUI and interface, and the ease of use. What do you want? "Oh, we are working with a bunch of open-source code and creating our own linux distro. Oh, and we might be putting a little bit of work into the GUi"? I mean, of course they are going to market it differently, but I don't think that they are "stealing" code by doing that; they are giving due credit.

Xtreme Addict
    Windows 7 has a keylogger and nobody's complaining about that crap.It's the same thing as Google phone home.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Hell Hound View Post
    Windows 7 has a keylogger and nobody's complaining about that crap.It's the same thing as Google phone home.
    For a release candidate therefore you can see how crashes were caused, it's not a key logger persay, but more of a "tracker". Great for BETA testing and finding out what causes crashes "in the field" yet not in labs..

Google is far more sinister than that...
    Stop looking at the walls, look out the window

Admin
    Bam!

Now to clean/warn/ban/(reopen).

EDIT: forget reopening, this thread lived its life.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234