Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Google Plans to Introduce a PC Operating System

Royal Administrator

Google Plans to Introduce a PC Operating System

SAN FRANCISCO — In a direct challenge to Microsoft, Google is expected to announce on Wednesday that it is developing an operating system for a personal computer based on its Chrome browser, according to two people briefed on Google’s plans.

The details of the technology could not be learned, but Google plans to make the announcement on a company blog on Wednesday afternoon, this person said.

Google did not immediately return calls and e-mail messages seeking comment.

The move would sharpen the already intense competition between Google and Microsoft, whose Windows operating system controls the basic functions of the vast majority of personal computers.

Google could well be hoping to capitalize on the rise of netbooks, the compact, low-cost computers that have turned the PC world on its head.

Google already has already developed an operating system called Android, that is used for mobile phones. The software is also being built into lightweight PCs called netbooks by several manufacturers.

Google has not encouraged netbook makers to use Android as an operating system, and the Chrome-based operating system appears to be the company’s preferred software for operating netbooks.

Google has also long promoted a vision of computing in which applications delivered over the Web play an increasingly central role, replacing software programs that run on the desktop. In that world, applications run directly inside an Internet browser, rather than atop an operating system, the traditional software that controls most of the operations of a PC.

Last year, the company released the Chrome browser, which it described as a tool for users to interact with increasingly powerful Web programs, like Gmail, Google Docs and online applications created by other companies. Since then, Google has been adding capabilities to Chrome, like the ability to allow it to run applications even when a user is not connected to the Internet.

It is not clear how much work it would take for Google to turn Chrome into the central part of a full fledged operating system. But in a recent interview, Marc Andreessen, who developed the first commercial browser and co-founded Netscape, compared Chrome into an operating system

“Chrome is basically a modern operating system,” Mr. Andreessen said.

Google has also long customized a version of the Linux operating system for use internally.

The rise of netbooks has started to challenge some of Microsoft’s dominance in personal computing software. The first wave of netbooks relied on various versions of the open-source Linux operating system, and major PC makers like Hewlett-Packard and Dell have backed the Linux software.

In an unusual move, Intel, the world’s largest chip maker, has worked on developing a Linux-based operating system called Moblin as well.

The company has aimed the software at netbooks and smart phones in a bid to spur interest for its mobile device chip sold under the Atom brand.

To combat these efforts, Microsoft began offering its older Windows XP operating system for use on netbooks at a low price. In addition, the company has vowed that is upcoming Windows 7 software, due out this fall, will run well on the tiny laptops.

Netbooks have stood out as the brightest part of the PC market during the global economic downturn. Overall, PC sales have plummeted, while netbooks sales have surged.
    Source: New York Times

Xtreme X.I.P.
    not really news, theyve been at it for years and said they do this...
    they said all along they would develop a web based os, which basically runs in your browser.
    back then, years ago, it was clear to everybody with a few linked braincells to guess that google would create their own browser
    and google apps no longer beeing beta from today on sounds like they are close to getting it ready.... i wonder if its already finished and in closed beta now...

Xtreme Addict
    It was only a matter of time. I can't see why nobody is concerned about Google but everyone thinks M$ are a monopoly. Google are far more dangerous, because they look like the good guys out to make your life better to Joe Average. Soon Google will have their hand in everything including our kitchen sinks.

If you remember the April fools joke from a few years ago, they already own our toilets.
    Last edited by randomizer; 07-07-2009 at 09:04 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    this will be interesting, i was hoping they would use linux to build thier os, that would give linux an awesome boost into the limelight. any word on whether this will be open sauce?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

Xtreme Cruncher
    It will probably be something similar to EyeOS
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Cruncher
    Guessing this will be a linux kernel based. Hopefully it will be a cool little OS. I may try it out if it ever comes out. I am sure it will be a beta OS for many years LOL just like gmail has been
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Banned
    This is just Google being the puppets they are and executing orders. Bit by bit, all information will belong to one central world government. Sad thing is, 99% of Google employees doesn't know about this. They're too stupid and brainwashed to see the bigger picture. They're just glad to live at Google, where they can eat, sleep and maybe have children. Such a great place to work!! Yeah, go Google! 80 hour work weeks! Wooo!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Google ain't slowing down on their innovation run huh, I was under the impression that they are busy studying bing right now. LOL.

I wonder how this pans out, anyway I'm thinking positive for this.
    [[Daily R!G]]
    Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0GHz w/ 1.325 vcore.
    Rampage II Gene||CM HAF 932||HX850||MSI GTX 660ti PE OC||Corsair H50||G.Skill Phoenix 3 240GB||G.Skill NQ 6x2GB||Samsung 2333SW

flickr

Xtreme Guru
    You know what, i welcome this with open arms. Its about time we get a choice between what OS we wanna use on a PC. Linux didnt hit it off with the mainstream and its not going to because of the lack of advertising, Google is a huge company, they will have a different approach on marketing.

Xtreme Addict
    Is this the cloud computer OS, where you can log in to your basically remote desktop, and google does all the processing for you etc? Or is that built in..http://kottke.org/04/04/google-operating-system

These old rumours...
    " Business is Binary, your either a 1 or a 0, alive or dead." - Gary Winston ^^

Asus rampage III formula,i7 980xm, H70, Silverstone Ft02, Gigabyte Windforce 580 GTX SLI, Corsair AX1200, intel x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb, hp zr30w, 12gb corsair vengeance

Rig 2
    i7 980x ,h70, Antec Lanboy Air, Samsung md230x3 ,Saphhire 6970 Xfired, Antec ax1200w, x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb,12gb Corsair Vengence MSI Big Bang Xpower

Xtreme X.I.P.
    http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/...chrome-os.html

Google Chrome OS is an open source, lightweight operating system that will initially be targeted at netbooks. Later this year we will open-source its code, and netbooks running Google Chrome OS will be available for consumers in the second half of 2010. Because we're already talking to partners about the project, and we'll soon be working with the open source community, we wanted to share our vision now so everyone understands what we are trying to achieve.

right from the horses mouth.

check out "XS REVIEWS"

Want me to believe your hardware review? Show me a receipt

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAWS View Post
    http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/...chrome-os.html

Google Chrome OS is an open source, lightweight operating system that will initially be targeted at netbooks. Later this year we will open-source its code, and netbooks running Google Chrome OS will be available for consumers in the second half of 2010. Because we're already talking to partners about the project, and we'll soon be working with the open source community, we wanted to share our vision now so everyone understands what we are trying to achieve.

right from the horses mouth.
    Thankyou very much.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    Ah as I suspected, targetted at netbooks meaning this isnt' meant to be a full-on replacement for a Windows or Mac OS X (yet)

Smells more like a beefed up Android but that's not a bad thing at all

edit: I think this is a bigger threat to Mac OS X, which advertises itself as a unix-based mainstream OS as the alternative to Windows, and Google has a huge hype machine around it all in itself to take on Apple
    Last edited by zerazax; 07-07-2009 at 11:55 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Unless Google change their current concept on the long road. Then a Google OS would just scare me.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron_Davis View Post
    This is just Google being the puppets they are and executing orders. Bit by bit, all information will belong to one central world government. Sad thing is, 99% of Google employees doesn't know about this. They're too stupid and brainwashed to see the bigger picture. They're just glad to live at Google, where they can eat, sleep and maybe have children. Such a great place to work!! Yeah, go Google! 80 hour work weeks! Wooo!
    lol at NWO conspiracy theorists. Its funny how there are so many differnt variations on it, and ALL of the people who follow each SWEAR each as FACT. hmmmmm............yeah.
    himynameisfrank
    Flickr

i7 2600K @ 4.4Ghz
    Corsair Hydro H80
    MSI Z68A-GD80
    EVGA GTX580 x 2 SLi
    Corsair XMS3 1600 12Gb
    Corsair HX850w
    OCZ Agility 3 SSD x 3 RAID 0
    Creative X-Fi Titanium / Astro A40 Audio System
    Corsair Graphite 600T SE White
    DELL U2410 24" IPS Panel

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by AC3421 View Post
    lol at NWO conspiracy theorists. Its funny how there are so many differnt variations on it, and ALL of the people who follow each SWEAR each as FACT. hmmmmm............yeah.
    Kind of like religion I am no NWO conspiracy theorist, but I have zero trust in a multi-billion-dollar corporation that has a share in just about everything we use our computers for. What does Google have so far?

Google search engine
    Google Maps
    Google Earth
    Google Calendar
    Google Translate
    Google Chrome
    Gmail
    Android
    A modified Ubuntu with a Google label on it
    Google Docs
    Google videos
    Youtube
    Google news
    Google groups

etc, etc. They do practically everything.

Xtreme Member
    A lightweight OS for netbooks is most welcome. You shouldn't need something as big as XP for browsing the interwebz and opening powerpoint files.

Generalizations are, in general, wrong.

Xtreme Addict
    Google should just buy out the whole Linux thing and make it user-friendly, standardizing it with driver support from all hardware manufacturers, etc.. then, ta-da boom!

--two awesome rigs, wildly customized with
    5.1 Sony speakers, Stereo 3D, UV Tourmaline Confexia, Flame Bl00dr4g3 Fatal1ty
    --SONY GDM-FW900 24" widescreen CRT, overclocked to:
    2560x1600 resolution at 68Hz!(from 2304x1440@80Hz)

Updated List of Video Card GPU Voodoopower Ratings!!!!!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Fox View Post
    Google should just buy out the whole Linux thing and make it user-friendly, standardizing it with driver support from all hardware manufacturers, etc.. then, ta-da boom!
    So we'd have another Windows on the market...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by randomizer View Post
    So we'd have another Windows on the market...
    or Google OSX capable of running on all kinds of hardware.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Addict
    There's always one e-comedian.
    Workstation:
    3960X | 32GB G.Skill 2133 | Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    3*EVGA GTX580 HC2 3GB | 3*Dell U3011
    4*Crucial M4 256GB R0 | 6*3TB WD Green R6
    Areca 1680ix-24 + 4GB | 2*Pioneer BDR-205 | Enermax Plat 1500W
    Internal W/C | PC-P80 | G19 | G700 | G27
    Destop Audio:
    Squeezebox Duet | Beresford TC-7520 Caiman modded | NAD M3 | MA RX8 | HD650 | ATH-ES7
    Man Cave:
    PT-AT5000E | TXP65VT30 | PR-SC5509 | PA-MC5500 | MA GX300*2, GXFX*4, GXC350 | 2*BK Monolith+
    Gaming on the go:
    Alienware M18x
    i7 2920XM | 16GB DDR3 1600
    2*6990 | WLED 1080P
    2*Crucial M4 256GB | BD-RW
    BT 375 | Intel 6300 | 330W PSU

2011 Audi R8 V10 Ibis White ABT Tuned - 600HP

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It'll probably be beta until about 2050

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltZ View Post
    YES
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned
    If it gets the publicity and users, which it probably will, this bit could change things around in the computer world:

Google Chrome OS will run on both x86 as well as ARM chips

Xtreme Member
    This is just Google being the [censored by Google for our bright future] puppets they are and executing orders. Bit by bit, all information will belong to one central world government. Sad thing is, 99% of Google employees doesn't know [censored by Google - all hail Google] about this. They're too stupid and brainwashed to see the bigger picture. They're just glad to live at Google, where they can eat, sleep and maybe have children. Such a great place to work!! Yeah, go Google! 80 hour work weeks! Wooo!
    Thanks God there are Internet Men who will stop their terror with posts like this and online petitions

Quote Originally Posted by DeltZ View Post
    And yet more functional and stable than most "ready" systems that you can buy

E6550 2,33GHz @ 3,5 GHz || HD4850 714/1104 || 2x1GB OCZ PC-8500 @ 1000MHz
    Abit IP-35-e || Amacrox 450W PSU
    || Max. sig. size is 500x250 pix, isn't yours bigger?
    Cooled by: Apogee GT || MCW-60 || MCP655 || BW Extreme 123 rev. 2 || MCres

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast