X

    Subscribe to New Ads!

    Receive weekly ads in your inbox!



Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: HDD Probz

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    33

    HDD Probz

    Hey guys. i know this isnt a troubleshooting website. But i trust you guys for advice more than on other websites.

    i recently went to Respawn LAN V12 (big aussie LAN convention). And packed my computer full of media. Somewhere along the way i used somebody's memory stick for a patch of RA3 for a comp, and of course i got a worm.

    Long story short i reloaded to get rid of it. But now one of my non-OS Hard drives isnt working. Its a 1.5TB Seagate (ST31500341AS), and well basically after lots of investigating i figured out it had overheated somewhere along the way. (after running tests with the Seagate diagnostics tool).

    The sum total of my access to the hard drive is that it:
    - shows up in my computer
    - if i wait for a minute or so, i can view most directories on the drive and if im patient i can navigate through folders.
    - files can occasionally be opened. not very often though.

    its almost a full drive, so it would be croppy if i had to backup onto my other 750 gig drive.

    From the vast amount of experience that you guys have on XS. What would be the best way of saving the data, and if possible the hard drive too?

    Thanks in advance guys.

  2. #2
    I am Xtreme zanzabar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    SF bay area, CA
    Posts
    15,781
    put it in the freezer then back up what u can affter it gets chilled for a few hours.

    and what temp did it get to
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    put it in the freezer then back up what u can affter it gets chilled for a few hours.

    and what temp did it get to
    haha. i couldnt get a log open, the only thing i could find out was in the diagnostic it said the HDD had gone above 70 degrees (celcius) at some point. Which i assume to be the problem.

    does anyone know of a way to repair the drive without reformatting (if that would even work)? The official Seagate diagnostic/repair tool couldnt do it.

  4. #4
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    put it in the freezer then back up what u can affter it gets chilled for a few hours.

    and what temp did it get to
    Doesn't sound like a mechanical issue to me, so I don't think the freezer trick will do him any good (it's usually a "click of death" fix).

    Have you tried a straight backup, yet?
    Gaming Box

    Ryzen R7 1700X * ASUS PRIME X370-Pro * 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 * XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB * Corsair HX620 * 250GB Crucial BX100 * 1TB Seagate 7200.11

    EK Supremacy MX * Swiftech MCR320 * 3x Fractal Venture HP-12 * EK D5 PWM

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Doesn't sound like a mechanical issue to me, so I don't think the freezer trick will do him any good (it's usually a "click of death" fix).

    Have you tried a straight backup, yet?
    Oh he was serious? that actually works? lol i thought he was joking.

    I tried directly copying files off there. But it simply struggles for a few seconds then says 'directory cannot be found' or 'directory cannot be accessed' or something along those lines. I've been googling around, but nobody has had a worknig solution to this yet apparently. I've played with a few windows-settings, but it doesnt help at all really.

    If i can get my friend to cooperate with his new beest. Which has plenty of room for my files. I could attempt a 'GetDataBack' program ive used before, it worked with a wrecked HDD i found. Im not sure if it will work on a fried one though.

    Anyone got any neat little tricks to say... reset the firmware without wiping the HDD? (the Seagate firmware updates state that if i have the 'CC' firmware, which i do, then updating firmware will wipe data). Or maybe some program that can fix the formatting of the hard drive, allowing me to access them properly.

    Thanks for the help so far guys. I appreciate it
    Last edited by Aldur_wm; 07-07-2009 at 04:58 AM.

  6. #6
    I am Xtreme zanzabar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    SF bay area, CA
    Posts
    15,781
    if u get active partition recovery u might be able to salvage the drive, but once it goes bad u cant really fix it.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    33
    yeh thats what i was afraid of. Im attempting this at the moment. if it doesnt work im all out of ideas.

    has anyone got any other methods for obtaining files from an overheated drive? regardless of how complex.

  8. #8
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    161
    bad luck brooooo.

    I got over 1TB space left so come use if it needed

    PS. My ssd's are f*cked LOL

  9. #9
    I am Xtreme
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Australia! :)
    Posts
    6,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldur_wm View Post
    Oh he was serious? that actually works? lol i thought he was joking.

    I tried directly copying files off there. But it simply struggles for a few seconds then says 'directory cannot be found' or 'directory cannot be accessed' or something along those lines. I've been googling around, but nobody has had a worknig solution to this yet apparently. I've played with a few windows-settings, but it doesnt help at all really.

    If i can get my friend to cooperate with his new beest. Which has plenty of room for my files. I could attempt a 'GetDataBack' program ive used before, it worked with a wrecked HDD i found. Im not sure if it will work on a fried one though.

    Anyone got any neat little tricks to say... reset the firmware without wiping the HDD? (the Seagate firmware updates state that if i have the 'CC' firmware, which i do, then updating firmware will wipe data). Or maybe some program that can fix the formatting of the hard drive, allowing me to access them properly.

    Thanks for the help so far guys. I appreciate it
    did u try that GetBackData prog? I use it, works well

    Quote Originally Posted by Aldur_wm View Post
    yeh thats what i was afraid of. Im attempting this at the moment. if it doesnt work im all out of ideas.

    has anyone got any other methods for obtaining files from an overheated drive? regardless of how complex.
    since heat is the prob, have u tried running it & actively cooling it? (dunno how tho )
    Last edited by tiro_uspsss; 07-09-2009 at 05:30 AM.
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

    heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

  10. #10
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,545
    Am I the only one that feels like 70C shouldn't have killed a HDD? I guess it is a Seagate though. Maybe I just don't know how hot HDDs should get.

    When you say "diagnostic," do you mean SeaTools?

    If you've not tried it, go download a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD, and run SeaTools; See what you can turn up that way.
    Sandy Bridge Build:
    • Intel Core i5-2500K at 4.0GHz (Corsair H80)
    • PNY NVIDIA GTX 570 1280MB
    • Mushkin Silverline 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333 RAM
    • OCZ Vertex 60GB & WD Caviar Black 1.5TB HDD
    • 1920x1080 21.5" IPS display (LG IPS226V)
    • MSI P67A-G45 B3 Motherboard
    • Corsair Professional Series HX650W 650W PSU
    • Fractal Design Define R3 (Silver Arrow)

    HP Envy 14:
    • Intel Core i5-450M at 2.4GHz
    • ATI Mobility Radeon 5650 1GB & Intel GMA
    • 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1066 RAM
    • Seagate Momentus 500GB 7200RPM HDD
    • 1600x900 14.5" display

  11. #11
    I am Xtreme
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Australia! :)
    Posts
    6,099
    Quote Originally Posted by ExodusC View Post
    Am I the only one that feels like 70C shouldn't have killed a HDD? I guess it is a Seagate though. Maybe I just don't know how hot HDDs should get.
    each HDD manufacturer is diff, but I've never seen one that states that 60c is max operating temp
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

    heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    33
    Ive more or less given up. I had a little luck with Stellar Data Recovery. It was the only program i found that could actually read the hard drive with any result. But it couldnt recover files.

    Yes i used SeaTools as the diagnostics program. It would start a 'short test' and say something like 'error, perform long test for further diagnostics' so i would run the long test, and it would say 'error in sector x' a zillion times. So i reckon its just completely fried.

    Thanks for the help guys, ill hit up MSY and see if i can get a free replacement . Next lan i go to ill get most of the data back anyway i guess.

    cheers!

    PS: The diagnostics said that the hard drive had reached ABOVE 70C at some point. So it could have been much hotter.

  13. #13
    I am Xtreme
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Australia! :)
    Posts
    6,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldur_wm View Post
    PS: The diagnostics said that the hard drive had reached ABOVE 70C at some point. So it could have been much hotter.
    I would love to know exactly what happened.. the only thing I can think of is: wherever there is moving parts there is heat.. some moving part must have resisted so-to-speak & that created a butt-load of heat... or something fried!
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

    heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

  14. #14
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Suddenly, Minneapolis...again
    Posts
    1,399
    Thats why I subscribe to the multiple, redundant, backups method. I have everything important on 3 drives IN my machine as well as on my older drives that are on the shelf. Anything less than a total and catastrophic fire that burns the house to the foundation and I should be able to recover all but the latest pictures of my kids.
    Boy that info was old. As am I. Currently my kids have taken over my desktops. They are both sporting matching GTX1080's. Last Christmas I got everyone Oculuses and thus GTX1080's. My eldest is some sort of CSGO champion gold label something or other. Me I work and shoot real guns. Build Comps as needed.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •