Page 1 of 70 12341151 ... LastLast

Thread: Can anyone rate the primochill Typhoon III?

Xtreme Member

Can anyone rate the primochill Typhoon III?

Can anyone who has seen or rated the Primochill Tyhoon III Reservoir system with D5 pump give any advice?
    It looks great but as you know, advertisments can be deceiving.

I am Xtreme
    Testing results will probably be out soon . . . .let's just say two loops and you will not be sorry. Can't say more but T3 uber alles and nothing will come close at the moment
    "Thing is, I no longer consider you a member but, rather a parasite...one that should be expunged."

Never go full retard
    I am racing to finish the test results, the dual loop configuration involves quite a bit of testing so its taking a bit longer than I expected.

DB has it dead on, the dual loop configuration of the T3 takes the efficiency curve of the D5 and exploits the crap out of it. When I started testing the dual loop, I had a hard time rationalizing the data. So I ran back upstairs and had Vapor be my second set of eyes to verify the early data. The single loop performance is on par with the Koolance COV-PMP450A, but the dual loop takes the Typhoon III into a different category, there is just nothing to compare it to head-to-head due to the unique design and configuration options.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks, that sounds great.
    I think I will go ahead and make my purchase.

I am Xtreme
    Geno has more stuff up his sleeve . . . .oh, you guys have NO idea.
    "Thing is, I no longer consider you a member but, rather a parasite...one that should be expunged."

Xtreme Mentor
    If it is two loops sharing the same res, doesn't that mean they share the same fluid and the system will equalize temperature wise, the same as if it was one single loop? Doesn't this fly in the face of 2 seperate loops being better than a single loop? And how is this any different than the XSPC other than the D5 vs. the MCP355? One more thing, looking at the pictures, it appears that the fill/drain port is on the face of the res, is it possible to fill it with it installed in the 5 /14" bay without tipping your system back?

I wouldn't mind having one of these, but those are my concerns, so any insight would be appreciated.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Waiting is not fun....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MV-G
    3770K 5.00
    7970 1200/1700
    GSkill 2400
    Seasonic Platinum 1000
    Silverstone TJ08-E
    - Koolance AC-370 - Swiftech MCP-35X - Phobya Xtreme 200mm Rad - Koolance VID-AR797 -
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USA National Debt

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Utnorris View Post
    If it is two loops sharing the same res, doesn't that mean they share the same fluid and the system will equalize temperature wise, the same as if it was one single loop? Doesn't this fly in the face of 2 seperate loops being better than a single loop? And how is this any different than the XSPC other than the D5 vs. the MCP355? One more thing, looking at the pictures, it appears that the fill/drain port is on the face of the res, is it possible to fill it with it installed in the 5 /14" bay without tipping your system back?

I wouldn't mind having one of these, but those are my concerns, so any insight would be appreciated.
    Two loops are better because each component gets fresh coolant from the radiator. Two loops with a T3 means the same thing but better flow. Way better. None of the other options can touch it. None.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i cant wait for the Dual DDC version to come out
    SYSTEM
    i5-3750K @ 4.6ghz - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 - 16GB Samsung DDR3 - Sapphire R7 370 Nitro 4GB
    Water Cooling
    EK Supremecy - DDC-3.2 w/XSPC Top -Swiftech MCR320-QP - EK Multioption 150

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthBeavis View Post
    Two loops are better because each component gets fresh coolant from the radiator. Two loops with a T3 means the same thing but better flow. Way better. None of the other options can touch it. None.
    Ok, so you are saying this is better than having two seperate loops? How does that work?

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Utnorris View Post
    Ok, so you are saying this is better than having two seperate loops? How does that work?
    How much does one D5 cost? That is how much better it is.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    you guys using mcp655-b ?? if not will it fit in a T3?

I got mine for two reasons.
    1. It provides a really neat place to mount my pump. My pump won't be all that easy to see. When I get it finished I think I'll have a clean set up.
    2. I'll only have to add a radiator and block to cool my video card.

The Typhoon III is an expensive reservoir. Initial investment, that is. I'll save, in the long run, when I expand.
    I saw another reservoir that can hold two D5s but it looks like they go on the bottom. That would take up another bay. (at least)

I do have a question about it though. It comes with 4 acrylic(?) washers. Do they go between the pump hold-down plate and the res body?

The only thing I would like better about it. I wish it had a top fill port that matched my HAFs fill port. I've managed to get it to be the top componant in my loop.
    Last edited by surfhick; 07-06-2009 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Sp

Xtreme Member
    Very interesting can't wait to see some numbers

Xtreme Mentor
    How much does one D5 cost? That is how much better it is.
    Ok, so it costs less, you stated better, how is it better than two seperate loops from a COOLING standpoint?

Desk Build

W/C System

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Fillports front and center is putting me off somewhat. I imagine you would have to tilt your case back 90deg to fill and bleed. That said it does look handy and sounds like it has performance to match. Where can I buy one? Seems like it's only available on Primochill's site.

Testing results will probably be out soon . . . .let's just say two loops and you will not be sorry. Can't say more but T3 uber alles and nothing will come close at the moment
    DB can you qualify this please: Nothing will come close at the moment meaning...better than two isolated loops with DDC? Two isolated loops with D5? Two loops with 1 DDC? Two loops with 1 D5? Dual DDC2...? Dual Iwakis.....?

Thanks.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Kibbler View Post
    DB can you qualify this please: Nothing will come close at the moment meaning...better than two isolated loops with DDC? Two isolated loops with D5? Two loops with 1 DDC? Two loops with 1 D5? Dual DDC2...? Dual Iwakis.....?

Thanks.
    A little patience it seems:

Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    I am racing to finish the test results, the dual loop configuration involves quite a bit of testing so its taking a bit longer than I expected.

DB has it dead on, the dual loop configuration of the T3 takes the efficiency curve of the D5 and exploits the crap out of it. When I started testing the dual loop, I had a hard time rationalizing the data. So I ran back upstairs and had Vapor be my second set of eyes to verify the early data. The single loop performance is on par with the Koolance COV-PMP450A, but the dual loop takes the Typhoon III into a different category, there is just nothing to compare it to head-to-head due to the unique design and configuration options.
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

I got mine at Moddersmart which I believe is the same company as Primochill.
    Tilting the case is the only way I see to fill/bleed mine.

I am Xtreme
    Two separate loops with two D5s will be close from my understanding. I am talking about D5s and the increased performance of a SINGLE D5 with this reservoir compared to ANY D5 top out now when the T3 is used in dual loop configuration. When you see the numbers you will see my point. This is an amazing break though.

Can't wait to see those reviews!
    My rig
    Asus P5q Pro
    Q6600@ 3.0GHz
    Corsair H50
    Sapphire Radeon HD 4890
    2x2gb G.Skill DDR2-1000
    120gb Intel 320 ssd
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm happy with mine

only 1 slight thing I don't like about it is the bonding between the 2 halves. And I wish it was tinted gray or something to match my black case.
    Desktop
    [Asus Rampage III Gene] [i7 920 D0] [12GB OCZ3B2000C9LV6GK] [HIS HD 5970] [SeaSonic X750 Gold ] [Windows 7 (64bit)] [OCZ Vertex 30GB x3 Raid0] [Koolance CPU 360] [XSPC Razer 5970] [TFC 360 rad, D5 w/ Koolance RP-450X2]
    HTPC
    [Origen AE S10V] [MSI H57M-ED65] [ i5-661 w/ Scythe Big Shuriken] [Kingston HyperX LoVo 4GB ] [ SeaSonic X650 Gold ] [ OCZ Vertex 30GB SSD ] [ SAMSUNG Spinpoint 640GB 7200 RPM 2.5"][Panasonic UJ-225 Blu-ray Slot Burner] [ Ceton InfiniTV4]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Two separate loops with two D5s will be close from my understanding. I am talking about D5s and the increased performance of a SINGLE D5 with this reservoir compared to ANY D5 top out now when the T3 is used in dual loop configuration. When you see the numbers you will see my point. This is an amazing break though.
    Thanks for the clarification, very promising.

Xtreme Addict
    If I had to guess, he is referring to the fact that the D5 shines in high flow applications... two parallel loops take further advantage of this, parallel making half the flow resistance + a well designed volute = uber flow through both loops and each loop has 1/2 the heat dump they would usually have but with nearly the same flow.
    Asus G73- i7-740QM, Mobility 5870, 6Gb DDR3-1333, OCZ Vertex II 90Gb

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by iandh View Post
    If I had to guess, he is referring to the fact that the D5 shines in high flow applications... two parallel loops take further advantage of this, parallel making half the flow resistance + a well designed volute = uber flow through both loops and each loop has 1/2 the heat dump they would usually have but with nearly the same flow.
    No, I just meant to say it makes a in sound. And if you add gogo juice it glows real purdylike

Admin
    It has to do with the efficiency curve of the D5 pump. It's most efficient between 2 and 3.5GPM...in fact, over that range, it's 50+% more efficient than it is at 1GPM. At face value that doesn't mean much, but it's the underlying key to why the Typhoon III ends up being such a step forward in design

What does that mean for the end user? Well, let's take a sample loop and play with it

Sample loop: a D5, two MCR320s, an HK3.0, and two MCW-60s. With this loop in serial, you get roughly 1.4GPM (at 4.1PSI of pressure drop)....which is good, but maybe a little lower than you want. Because the D5 is only running at 1.4GPM, it's efficiency is under 14%. The overall pumping power the water is being subjected to is 2.5W.

Add in the Typhoon III and you can arrange your loop (by default) in a parallel config....you split the restriction up evenly: an MCR320 and the HK in one portion, and an MCR320 and the two MCW60s in the other. Now you have a few things going on (mathematically) that I may not be describing 100% clearly or accurately, but hopefully I'll get the gist of it across.

1) When you go in parallel, the flowrate through the pump is the sum of the two subloops.
    2) When you go in parallel, roughly the average of the pressure drops of the subloops is the pressure drop across the entire loop (or across the pump, depends how you look at it). This means that at any given pumping power, flow increases.
    3) Because restriction is down overall (by a lot), flowrate increases. When flowrate increases to the 2.0 to 3.5GPM range (from the <1.5GPM range), efficiency increases noticeably...so you actually have more pumping power at work.

You throw all three of those into an equilibrium (such is fluid dynamics....the three variables have a lot of dependence and codependence) and you actually end up getting higher flowrates in each subloop than you would in one big loop! Back of the napkin math says roughly 1.5GPM through both loops

Loops that are naturally more restrictive (say 1.2GPM or lower in serial) benefit even more!

A 'fun' loop to demo this on could actually be something like the HK 3.0 + a pair of GTX rads + a pair of GPU blocks + a motherboard block. Whereas you'd get maybe 1GPM when arranged all in serial....you can put the HK in its own subloop (it's the only thing that cares about flow) and you'll end up getting really high flowrates through the HK and still get moderate flowrates through the everything-else loop.

Because of the nature of what we do (how everything we do tends toward an equilibrium), you'll see no thermal issues from even the wackiest of the loop divisions....if you want a semi-restrictive CPU block on its own subloop and want to put your radiators and GPU/board blocks into the other subloop, you'll get the same water delta performance, but you'll get higher flow where it matters (at the CPU block).

Where this won't work as well is with a VERY restrictive CPU block and a lack of other components in the loop. You have a good chance of actually lowering the flowrate through the block (where it matters most).

Cliffnotes version: running in parallel allows for a reduced pressure drop of the loop overall, because of the nature of the D5, this reduced pressure drop allows the pump to have increased flowrate through the pump. That increase in flowrate actually allows the pump to run more efficiently, leading to the pump actually being more "powerful" (from the liquid's perspective) and increases flowrates in equilibrium even further. The net result is that a well planned and balanced set of subloops will actually allow you to have HIGHER flowrates through each subloop (or a specific subloop) than you would if you arranged it in one serial loop.

Because the efficiency curve of a DDC peaks at lower GPM (and is narrower), I don't see this working with a DDC as effectively. Also note that this parallelization won't be effective on all loops, but there are certainly cases where it'd work well

Page 1 of 70 12341151 ... LastLast