Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to build a LN2 Withdrawl Device?

Administrator
    It you are talking about that one in the link, it might burst from sudden pressure expansions and being frozen very fast. LN2 expands very fast when it evaperates.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    Haha I wasn't suggesting that equipment, more so that a similar design in better material.
    Oh and Iandh, I've got a low temp solenoid on the way, we'll have to see how mine plus a PID compares to yours
    I think some autocontrol is in the works.
    That should be quite swanky... I've daydreamed about an automated dispensation system before. That would be quite handy if you could adjust it to just dribble into the pot and use only what you needed, and you could just concentrate on benching and nothing else.

My design is about one thing only... cheap cheap cheap; that's what I keep hearing repeated about liquid withdrawl devices, how the cost is too high. I do not think that my design is the best way to do it, but I am fairly sure it is the best cheap way to do it.
    Asus G73- i7-740QM, Mobility 5870, 6Gb DDR3-1333, OCZ Vertex II 90Gb

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    It you are talking about that one in the link, it might burst from sudden pressure expansions and being frozen very fast. LN2 expands very fast when it evaperates.
    One volume of liquid nitrogen will expand to produce 696.5 equivalent volumes of gas.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuchnit View Post
    Why do you always have to bring two sockets into everything?
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Because a one socket system is only 1/2 a system..
    You got two balls don't you?
    I rest my case!

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    One volume of liquid nitrogen will expand to produce 696.5 equivalent volumes of gas.
    LOL yes GS, thats why I said that plastic thing could burst.

-150c Club Member
    My design is about one thing only... cheap cheap cheap; that's what I keep hearing repeated about liquid withdrawl devices, how the cost is too high. I do not think that my design is the best way to do it, but I am fairly sure it is the best cheap way to do it.
    Might not be that expensive my way either. $100 or so in parts + milling time? $200 product with full automation. Could be half that without automation.

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    keep going Nol, i started building my own dewar and a withdrawl device will be nice!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKarmakazi View Post
    Should have mine here in about 4 days we'll see how it does! Awesome find though even if it doesnt work
    And what about if we replace the plastic tubes by another metal tubes?

Maybe works with some mods

-150c Club Member
    Naw, I doubt you can replace it all. We'll see, maybe he'll get a run out of it for $4.
    I'm trying to work out a pretty universal way to mount the top. It has to be able to withstand 10psi or so, clamp on, and not bolt in.

-150c Club Member
    In the spirit of today (invention people! tesla's birthday! come on!)

A low temperature solenoid valve, all metal seals.
    Now I just need to pickup a dewar to build a top for.

Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    In the spirit of today (invention people! tesla's birthday! come on!)

A low temperature solenoid valve, all metal seals.
    Now I just need to pickup a dewar to build a top for.

Someone asked me to add to this thread, a simple withdrawl device can be made provided you can find all the parts . I was lucky to get a rubber stopper and tightening nut for it to start with, the rest are just bs parts like the center manifold, 10psi pressure reliefe valve, pressure discharge valve, needle valve for discharge and some stainless flanged tubing.
    Most needle valves will work fine for liquid withdrawl device. I have used ones not rated for cryogenic use and they work fine. 40-60.00 range Parker needle valves. Also chart industries used to carry most of the components to make a withdrawl device incuding the rubber stopper, but I havent checked in a few years.

noob, I got a killer 50l cryofab at my shop the has a pressure bulider (for maintaining pressure during LONG periods of valves staying in open postition) and dual parker cryo solenoids with a nice 3/8th 5ft vacuum insulated line coming off from each solenoid for liquid delivery. It's so tight dude
    If you want to do any significant benching (multi- component) using valves with an automated or even manual system, you need to have a pressure buliding dewar or one with a busted vacuum seal, the latter actually works awesome but can be VERY DANGEROUS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12