Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Freezone Elite x2 Build

DySfunCtiOnal MeMbEr
    Testing..... Unfortunately one of my pumps failed during the initial test... Now everything's on the same loop and my temps are around 34C Idle & 56C under full load (i7 920 @ 3.35Ghz HT Activated)...

Now that I've tested most of my components it's time to take everything apart and spend some time rewiring it. Ooo and I have a few more modifications to make... Overall this build should only take another month or 2 to complete...

Windows 7 64 Bit
    BenQ FP241W Black 24" LCD
    Mountain Mod Case w/ Base
    Asus Rampage III Black Edition
    i9-990x @ 4.58GHz - 1.36v Temps (Idle 23C - Load 48C)
    12GB Corsiar Dominator GT (PC3 15000) @ 9-9-9-24 1T - 1.65v
    Sapphire 5870 x3 "OC" w/ EK Water Block Temps (25C-49C)
    EK-Supreme / 4 Alphacool Laing DDC-Pump Ultras + Extras
    Power Supply / 2x Silver Stone DX1000
    Western Digital 1.0TB x 3
    Crosair SSD 128GB x 2

World Community Grid!

Xtreme Cruncher
    impressive work.. gratz dude
    "Study hard my young friend"[/B].
    ---------------------------------------
    Woody: It's not a laser! It's a... [sighs in frustration]

DySfunCtiOnal MeMbEr
    Thanks but I’m not done yet… Time to clean up…

Case is almost ready for reinstall… Just need to touch up a few areas...

Cut out a few notches to make it easier to reroute the wires…

My new water blocks...

Windows 7 64 Bit
    Crosair SSD 128GB x 2

World Community Grid!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultrasonic2 View Post
    You are correct. Putting a rad inline completely defeats the point and any advantage you could possible get from having a TEC Chiller

Now the Guy from Coolit suggested putting a RAD in line because he knows their product is unable to cool a modern CPU effectively (sub ambient or = to it) So you can get lower temps with an inline rad because the fluid temp is already over ambient.
    Well, that's kind of the point. When I tried my FZE on an i7 940 at 4.2GHz I found that it was completely inadequate for cooling such a high OC. Runaway fluid temps were a big problem and FZE just could not cope with them in light of the heat dumped by the CPU. However, adding a dual rad into the loop to control the fluid temps allowed me to feed very cool fluid to the CPU as you can see here...ambient temperature at that time was about 17C.

http://www.coolitsystems.com/index.p...&start=30#3590

Anyway, for ~$400 CAD total it was not a bad setup at all. I had to take it down now because my main rig is with EVGA X58 Classified and that retarded stock NB sink gets in the way of the FZE, but while it was running it performed quite good and very quiet too.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dejanh View Post
    Well, that's kind of the point. When I tried my FZE on an i7 940 at 4.2GHz I found that it was completely inadequate for cooling such a high OC. Runaway fluid temps were a big problem and FZE just could not cope with them in light of the heat dumped by the CPU. However, adding a dual rad into the loop to control the fluid temps allowed me to feed very cool fluid to the CPU as you can see here...ambient temperature at that time was about 17C.

Oh this again … This is very misleading and has been brought up and tested before.

The theory this works on, is to get lower temps you reduce the flow rates so the water leaving the Chiller is colder, and therefore the water entering the CPU block is colder. People then believe their getting lower CPU LOAD temps because the water entering the Block is colder.

Now people can be forgiven for believing this, because it seem logical enough colder into the block must therefore mean colder load temps right ? NO

You see your reducing the flow rates to cool the water more because its spending more time in the chiller per RPM .. This Also means it’s spending more time in the CPU block being heated back up again … SO there is NO possible gain to be had. YOU may reduce the flow rates to drop the water leaving the chiller by 10c .. But that gain will be more than lost in the CPU block as it gets heated back up again

SOOOO reducing the flow rates looks good for Coolit cos the coolant temp they monitor is on the chiller and therefore the coolant temp reads lower. People therefore believe they must be getting lower LOAD temps because of it. But this doesn’t translate to lower CPU LOAD temps.

Now you might be saying “but people do get lower temps with the rad than without it” .. That’s true cos the rads is removing a large amount of heat from the loop.

EDIT It's also pretty Nineveh to trust Coolit's temps sensor, if you ask me. It's hardly going to be reporting the temps as to hot now is it.
    Last edited by Ultrasonic2; 08-05-2009 at 09:12 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultrasonic2 View Post
    Oh this again … This is very misleading and has been brought up and tested before.

The theory this works on, is to get lower temps you reduce the flow rates so the water leaving the Chiller is colder, and therefore the water entering the CPU block is colder. People then believe their getting lower CPU LOAD temps because the water entering the Block is colder.

Now people can be forgiven for believing this, because it seem logical enough colder into the block must therefore mean colder load temps right ? NO

You see your reducing the flow rates to cool the water more because its spending more time in the chiller per RPM .. This Also means it’s spending more time in the CPU block being heated back up again … SO there is NO possible gain to be had. YOU may reduce the flow rates to drop the water leaving the chiller by 10c .. But that gain will be more than lost in the CPU block as it gets heated back up again

SOOOO reducing the flow rates looks good for Coolit cos the coolant temp they monitor is on the chiller and therefore the coolant temp reads lower. People therefore believe they must be getting lower LOAD temps because of it. But this doesn’t translate to lower CPU LOAD temps.

Now you might be saying “but people do get lower temps with the rad than without it” .. That’s true cos the rads is removing a large amount of heat from the loop.
    While I may have thought what you are saying at one point in time I realize that this is not the case. I simply gave an example of when a rad is useful and that is when the heat output of the system components is too large for the chillers to handle. Hence the introduction of the rad. Also, I later found that increasing the flow had even more benefit on the temps.
    Last edited by dejanh; 08-05-2009 at 09:21 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dejanh View Post
    While I may have thought what you are saying at one point in time I realize that this is not the case. I simply gave an example of when a rad is useful and that is when the heat output of the system components is too large for the chillers to handle. Hence the introduction of the rad. Also, I later found that increasing the flow had even more benefit on the temps.
    yeah increasing the flow rates is better

DySfunCtiOnal MeMbEr
    dejanh - nice temps...

Update: The assembly begins… I'm not sure if I like the tubing (Clear or Black).... Probably going to make a few more changes before I cut any wires…

Sorry about the pictures… My cheap camera takes crappy pics..

Windows 7 64 Bit
    Crosair SSD 128GB x 2

World Community Grid!

DySfunCtiOnal MeMbEr
    Update: Quick test - The Coolit system is keeping my CPU nice cool (18-24C idle) but my other loop with the NB, SB and GPU's is kicking the 120's A$$ (58-60C)... Going to swop it out with my 360 tomorrow...
    Windows 7 64 Bit
    Crosair SSD 128GB x 2

World Community Grid!

Xtreme Addict
    Is that special evga EK block pretty restrictive? What kind of pump do you have on the NB loop? I know my EK Supreme is pretty restrictive so that's why I ask. Seems like a single 120 should cool better than 58C... Hell a small air cooler is better!

EDIT: I just noticed your video cards on that loop. You'll need about a PA 120.2 to keep them happy. 8800GTX's get friggen hot.
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

DySfunCtiOnal MeMbEr
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinas View Post
    Is that special evga EK block pretty restrictive? What kind of pump do you have on the NB loop? I know my EK Supreme is pretty restrictive so that's why I ask. Seems like a single 120 should cool better than 58C... Hell a small air cooler is better!

EDIT: I just noticed your video cards on that loop. You'll need about a PA 120.2 to keep them happy. 8800GTX's get friggen hot.
    I'm using the Laing DDC Ultra... According to manufactures specifications they should maintain a high flow... Also the Danger Den Water blocks shouldn't restrict the flow that much... I Added another fan to the 120 last night and the temps dropped to around 40-42C...
    Windows 7 64 Bit
    Crosair SSD 128GB x 2

World Community Grid!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by malkiewicz View Post
    I'm using the Laing DDC Ultra... According to manufactures specifications they should maintain a high flow... Also the Danger Den Water blocks shouldn't restrict the flow that much... I Added another fan to the 120 last night and the temps dropped to around 40-42C...
    Oh i have no problem with what your doing.. It's also looking good.

Dejanh and i are having an off topic discussion. Sorry about that i know it's bad.

Administrator
    That is looking very nice Malk

Those cases look huge

DySfunCtiOnal MeMbEr
    Yeah... The pictures make the case look big but it seems small when you're working on it... Hopefully the rest of my parts arrive soon... Tired of waiting.... Well at least I have time to play with the MB....

Overclocked the CPU to 3.8 with HT avtivated... Nice temps IMO.... Hoping to keep the same temps @ 4GHz

Last edited by malkiewicz; 08-07-2009 at 07:41 AM.
    Windows 7 64 Bit
    Crosair SSD 128GB x 2

World Community Grid!

Assistant Administrator systemviper's Avatar
    I'm just finishing up a build with that same case, but it's all air, but i have to say
    I love the case it's so sexy,

the only mod i did was to paint the outside/window side of the cd/dvd cage black to blend more with the color of the
    case, it stuck out to much but left the rest brushed alu....

very nice job your are doing, v/impressed!
    Last edited by systemviper; 08-07-2009 at 07:51 AM.
    HWbot - Team: XtremeSystems
    XS cruncher - Team: XtremeSystems
    OCN Feedback
    HEAT

*** Being kind is sometimes better then being right.

DySfunCtiOnal MeMbEr
    I agree... Out of all the cases I've seen or worked with - this is my overall favorite and I was disappointed when they redesigned it... Do you have any pictures of your case with the painted cage... I was thinking about doing that but I wasn't sure if it would look good...

Another Update: Running Stable @ 4.189Ghz..... Same voltage.... Same temps..... Still having problems with my GPU Temps (Second Loop - Rad Only) - they're running cool at idle but when I stress them out the temps go from 38C to 65C after about 30mins and the liquid stays around 40-42C.... Hopefully I'll have time to change out the radiator tomorrow...

Not a bad score IMO - Both 8800 Ultra GPU's are stock - haven't OC'ed them yet...

Last edited by malkiewicz; 08-07-2009 at 11:58 PM.
    Windows 7 64 Bit
    Crosair SSD 128GB x 2

World Community Grid!

Assistant Administrator systemviper's Avatar
    I agree... Out of all the cases I've seen or worked with - this is my overall favorite and I was disappointed when they redesigned it... Do you have any pictures of your case with the painted cage... I was thinking about doing that but I wasn't sure if it would look good...

Another Update: Running Stable @ 4Ghz..... Same voltage.... Same temps..... Still having problems with my GPU Temps - they're running cool at idle but when I stress them out the temps go from 38C to 65C after about 30mins and the liquid stays around 40-42C.... Hopefully I'll have time to change out the radiator tomorrow...

Not a bad score IMO - Both 8800 Ultra GPU's are stock - haven't OC'ed them yet...

I'll take some pictures tonight, I only painted one side that can be seen and left everything else brushed, i just felt that the brushed cage flat took the focus away from the motherboard and components and painting that one exposed part black made it blend and now it takes your eye directly to the motherboard which should be the focus...
    HWbot - Team: XtremeSystems
    XS cruncher - Team: XtremeSystems
    OCN Feedback
    HEAT

*** Being kind is sometimes better then being right.

Xtreme Member
    Wicked rig! I'm stunned and jealous

Those are some impressive temps.

DySfunCtiOnal MeMbEr
    Temps Still Okay... OC'ed to 4.4Ghz @ 1.425v............ For some reason Core 0 runs 5-6C hotter under Prime 95???? Tried higher OC's but the Coolit system just can't keep up with volts over 1.45... Prime hit the mid 70's after about an hour... 4.4GHz is good enough for me... Ooo and my computer overloads my 750 watt UPS system every time Prime95 starts... Looks like its time to upgrade...

Edit:\

Note: Removed the old 120 radiator and replaced it with my 360 - Temps on the second loop are back to normal...

Last edited by malkiewicz; 08-08-2009 at 10:54 PM.
    Windows 7 64 Bit
    Crosair SSD 128GB x 2

World Community Grid!

DySfunCtiOnal MeMbEr
    Update: Decided to insulate the TEC reservoirs... Used some Armaflex 2" tape and I couldn't be happier (Looks good IMO)... I wasn't expecting much but I was able to decrease my temps by 3-4C @ Idle & 2-3C under full load...

Temps @ Idle 4.2Ghz with HT Activated...

Last edited by malkiewicz; 08-17-2009 at 01:28 PM.
    Windows 7 64 Bit
    Crosair SSD 128GB x 2

World Community Grid!

Damn, I can't see any of these pictures at work. My job blocks picture hosting sites for some reason. Can't wait to get home and see this project.

DySfunCtiOnal MeMbEr
    Making a few more changes - Adding another Freezone Elite... I'm thinking about changing the direction of the top fans... I had them facing down originally with the freezone and it acted like an air conditioner... I couldn't believe how cool the case got plus 1 freezone should be more than enough to keep the NB/SB/GPU cool with the radiator in place performing like an air conditoner...

I'm also going to add some Enermax Twister fans... Very quiet and they push a decent amount of air..

Windows 7 64 Bit
    Crosair SSD 128GB x 2

World Community Grid!

Xtreme Member
    Update: Decided to insulate the TEC reservoirs... Used some Armaflex 2" tape and I couldn't be happier (Looks good IMO)... I wasn't expecting much but I was able to decrease my temps by 3-4C @ Idle & 2-3C under full load...

Temps @ Idle 4.2Ghz with HT Activated...

Pardon my ignorance, but can you explain why insulating the TEC's decreased your temps? I have a coolit boreas and am wondering if it will have the same effect for me. I happen to have that same exact insulation tape

DySfunCtiOnal MeMbEr
    Insulating the reservoirs keeps it cooler by reducing heat exposure (i.e. Heat sink, heat from other internal components to include warm air traveling past them).... Keep in mind "Do not cover the screws" they absorb allot of heat from the heat sink and cause your support brackets to heat up thus warming up your reservoir... The tape doesn't actually cover the TEC - Just the Blue Reservoirs and yes it should help reduce your overall internal coolant temps (Ooo and this helps to eliminates allot of condensation.)

Hope this helps...
    Windows 7 64 Bit
    Crosair SSD 128GB x 2

World Community Grid!

DySfunCtiOnal MeMbEr
    Try something a little different... Going to use 12 TEC on 1 Coolit Freezone Elite... This will be similar to the Boris project on this forum... The heat coils will be used to cool the lower side and a radiator for the top....

Please share your opinions............
    Windows 7 64 Bit
    Crosair SSD 128GB x 2

World Community Grid!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast