Thread: Thoughts on mid-priced X58 boards?

Xtreme Enthusiast

Thoughts on mid-priced X58 boards?

I've been researching i7 builds for the past 7 months, and I've come down to crunch time... I'm torn between 3 boards essentially, the Biostar TPOWERx58, Foxconn Renaissance, and the MSI X58 platinum board.
    Of these 3, I'm leaning towards the Foxconn, because it's cheap(under 200$ even), but my price range is just around 200-240$... I was originally going to get a P6T Deluxe, but the wallet hasn't been happy with me lately, and those plans had to be canceled.

Anyways, that being said, which board of the 3 would be recommended for solid overclocking and no crashing/compatability issues? I've had enough of cheap motherboards(last one I had was the M2N Deluxe) not being compatable with my components, namely my X-Fi card, hit or miss sometimes booting up would not have sound, other times it would work... I know it's considered an xtremesystems sin to utter this word, but I put the card in my old dell computer and it worked fine, no problems.

I have in mind some medium overclocking(3.6-4.0ghz on the 920, 200bclk) and as such, I would like some people who own the board/have more experience than me to give me a little help.

Edit:
    D'oh it's renaissance, I always thought it was reconnaissance LOL
    Last edited by rpg711; 07-01-2009 at 05:56 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Although I haven't had a chance to do too much overclocking with mine yet, the Biostar seems to be a really stable, easy to work with board. The BIOS is alright, the layout is pretty good, it sleeps correctly, and it was one of the first strong-overclocking X58 boards.

I really have no complaints.
    Gaming Box

Ryzen R7 1700X * ASUS PRIME X370-Pro * 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 * XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB * Corsair HX620 * 250GB Crucial BX100 * 1TB Seagate 7200.11

EK Supremacy MX * Swiftech MCR320 * 3x Fractal Venture HP-12 * EK D5 PWM

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Any others?
    I looked based on this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...7,2252-20.html article that the renaissance is the best of the 3, because 2000mhz memory doesn't matter to me.

Any thoughts on the vanilla P6T?
    Last edited by rpg711; 07-02-2009 at 11:44 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Anyone? P6T SE, good for 4ghz stable/longterm?

Live Long And Overclock
    Use the force (P55), Luke !!

Perkam