Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Eternal Thermochill Flushing

Xtreme Enthusiast

Eternal Thermochill Flushing

Ok, so I've been flushing my PA 120.3's for over a week now by filling them with hot tap water and leaving them for about a day or so, followed up with a good shaking and emptying.

When I do this I get a lot of white coloured water coming out of the rads so I'm assuming the flux is being dissolved into the water.

However, I've done this seven times now and I'm still getting the same amount of flux coming out.

I've read all the posts about the endless flushing of these rads but does this sound right still?
    [Project] : Altair | A Lian-Li PC-P80, dual loop, all internal build. Written as a tutorial for any newcomers

Hardware
    Core i7 920 D0 | 12GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz CL8 RAM | 2x EVGA GTX 285 SLI | ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 | ASUS Xonar D2X
    2x Intel X-25M SSD | Corsair HX-1000W | Lian-Li PC-P80 | Dell 3008WFP 30"

Watercooling Gear (Dual Loop)
    Koolance 350AT (CPU Loop) | 2x Koolance VID-NX285 (GPU Loop) | 2x Laing DDC 3.2 / XSPC Acrylic top Rev. 3 | 2x EK Multioption 150 Res Ver. 2 | 2x Thermochill PA 120.3 |
    6x Scythe S-Flex 1200 RPM Fans | 7/16" Primochill Pro Green LRT | 7/16" Primochill Pro Blue LRT | B.P. Silver Shiny 1\2" Barbs | Alphacool Ball Valve / B.P. M-M Rotary fill-port / drain | Bitspower Black Freezer AIX58NS NB/SB (GPU Loop)| Black Freezer MOS AMOSII POM Version (GPU Loop)| Bitspower Black Freezer MOS AMOSIII POM Version (GPU Loop)

Xtreme Member
    Some people use vinegar to help with the flushing. Maybe putting in some vinegar and letting it sit for about 30 minutes will help

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Instead of vinegar which is questionable, try boiling water adding it to the rad, shake and repeat. Make sure to flush with distilled....

Xtreme Addict
    Sadly, it sounds pretty normal. It took twelve rinses (with a quick 30 minutes vinegar treatment half-way through) before my own PA120.3's were flushed.
    i7 2600K | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | GTX Titan | Corsair DDR3-2133

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by hotdun View Post
    Instead of vinegar which is questionable, try boiling water adding it to the rad, shake and repeat. Make sure to flush with distilled....
    You mean to flush with distilled before it goes in your loop or after every normal-water flush?

The water I add is like mega hot as I stick it in the microwave for 15mins.

It seems to get more flux out if you leave it to stand for 12/24 hours rather than flushing/shaking within an hour.

I'm a little weary of using vinegar :S
    [Project] : Altair | A Lian-Li PC-P80, dual loop, all internal build. Written as a tutorial for any newcomers

Hardware
    Core i7 920 D0 | 12GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz CL8 RAM | 2x EVGA GTX 285 SLI | ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 | ASUS Xonar D2X

Koolance 350AT (CPU Loop) | 2x Koolance VID-NX285 (GPU Loop) | 2x Laing DDC 3.2 / XSPC Acrylic top Rev. 3 | 2x EK Multioption 150 Res Ver. 2 | 2x Thermochill PA 120.3 |
    6x Scythe S-Flex 1200 RPM Fans | 7/16" Primochill Pro Green LRT | 7/16" Primochill Pro Blue LRT | B.P. Silver Shiny 1\2" Barbs | Alphacool Ball Valve / B.P. M-M Rotary fill-port / drain | Bitspower Black Freezer AIX58NS NB/SB (GPU Loop)| Black Freezer MOS AMOSII POM Version (GPU Loop)| Bitspower Black Freezer MOS AMOSIII POM Version (GPU Loop)

Xtreme Member
    I gave up and just used it after flushing as much as possible out...

Check out this little thread from me
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=197539

There's still some of the flux in the loop now even after using for months and then cleaning and refilling...
    Quote Originally Posted by HaCKs View Post
    Thanks for the info crazy asian guy with interesting hair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    There are alot of great testers in these forums and my one wish is for people to quit the bickering and post trolling and start testing and sharing of information.

Water cooling is supposed to be recreational, it's not mandatory, and it's not a perfect science.

Xtreme Member
    Been using Vinegar on my rads for over 2yrs now. Works like a charm...Just make sure you flush it out good afterwards..
    Asus Rampage 3 Extreme
    920@4400 1.34(Thanks UTnorris)
    3x2g Gskill Perfect Storm @2000mhz
    2x Asus Gtx480
    300g WD Raptor
    1tb WD Sata 3 Backup
    MMUFO/120.3x3/HK 3.0/EK Nb/sb
    Dell 27"

Xtreme Member
    Don't be wary of vinegar. It's perfectly fine to use it as long as you're not leaving it in the rad for extended periods of time and you make sure to flush it afterward.
    Gaming Box

Ryzen R7 1700X * ASUS PRIME X370-Pro * 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 * XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB * Corsair HX620 * 250GB Crucial BX100 * 1TB Seagate 7200.11

EK Supremacy MX * Swiftech MCR320 * 3x Fractal Venture HP-12 * EK D5 PWM

I am Xtreme
    If you have a pre-RoHS rad, vinegar is fine in short term usage (30 min at a time tops). Post RoHS rad shouldn't see vinegar at all. The flux is a totally different kind of flux and is water soluble, hot water is all you should use.

To figure out which you have, there should be a sticker or some type of documentation stating it is a RoHS compliant product. Everything made by TC these days is RoHS compliant from my understanding.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    If you have a pre-RoHS rad, vinegar is fine in short term usage (30 min at a time tops). Post RoHS rad shouldn't see vinegar at all. The flux is a totally different kind of flux and is water soluble, hot water is all you should use.

To figure out which you have, there should be a sticker or some type of documentation stating it is a RoHS compliant product. Everything made by TC these days is RoHS compliant from my understanding.
    It's definitely the water based flux.

I was lucky enough to get one of the "Limited Edition" PA120.3's that were only around for a month or so early this year.

I'm talking about the ones with the 24.5mm spacing and no bleed screw which in my opinion is the best combination you could ask for. :P

Hardware

Xtreme Enthusiast
    only ran hot tapwater thru mine and shook it, did it 3-4 times and its been up for about 2 weeks, no problems... swiffy rad ftw
    SYSTEM
    i5-3750K @ 4.6ghz - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 - 16GB Samsung DDR3 - Sapphire R7 370 Nitro 4GB
    Water Cooling
    EK Supremecy - DDC-3.2 w/XSPC Top -Swiftech MCR320-QP - EK Multioption 150

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I filled mine up 3 times, left it for a few mins, then shook it to death. Another option someone ways saying on here was to take it to a mechanic and ask them to flush it.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by eponymous View Post
    It's definitely the water based flux.

I was lucky enough to get one of the "Limited Edition" PA120.3's that were only around for a month or so early this year.

I'm talking about the ones with the 24.5mm spacing and no bleed screw which in my opinion is the best combination you could ask for. :P
    I'm sorry but you know nothing about them being limited edition, and there was'nt, i don't know who told you it, but who ever did, needs to learn a few things.

the so called "limited edition" you are saying, was just made to clear back logs in the uk, as all reaming of the normal original style not the new 15mm went state side in the thousands .

And For the question, hot water leaving it in for a day, dos'nt do much. It would turn cold after 20 ish minutes, Try Hot water put it in shake, leave for 10 mins, shake, rinse, shake, then repeat if needed.

Xtreme Member
    Is this something you have to do with all TC radiators?
    I'm thinking of buying an TC 120.4 but now I'm not so sure anymore if it's worth the hazzle.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bentleya View Post
    I'm sorry but you know nothing about them being limited edition, and there was'nt, i don't know who told you it, but who ever did, needs to learn a few things.

the so called "limited edition" you are saying, was just made to clear back logs in the uk, as all reaming of the normal original style not the new 15mm went state side in the thousands .
    Gee you think? :P

No-one told me "you're buying a limited edition". I know they're not actually called "Limited Edition" but they are by the very definition of the word, "limited" as there wasn't many made. This is my own wording. They were made as a bridge between the classic version and the new-spacing version. nothing you've said negates my original point.

I wanted no bleed screw and classic spacing, that's what I got; it's the best of both worlds.

Please read my posts more carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by bentleya View Post
    IAnd For the question, hot water leaving it in for a day, dos'nt do much. It would turn cold after 20 ish minutes, Try Hot water put it in shake, leave for 10 mins, shake, rinse, shake, then repeat if needed
    I have to disagree with this entirely. I've tried the method you mentioned and nothing comes out of the radiator.
    If you leave the rads to "soak" as it were, it seems to dissolve the flux and a little shake after 12 hours gets rid of an absolute load of flux.

My problem is, is that there seems to be a never-ending supply of flux.
    Last edited by eponymous; 07-02-2009 at 09:41 AM.

Hardware

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeMaan View Post
    Is this something you have to do with all TC radiators?
    I'm thinking of buying an TC 120.4 but now I'm not so sure anymore if it's worth the hazzle.
    Definitely worth the hassle. These rads are great performers and are full of character :P.

Hardware

Xtreme Member
    Definitely worth the hassle. These rads are great performers and are full of character :P.
    Wich would you say is better at low speed fans (400-1500), XSPC RX480 or Thermochill 120.4?
    Perhaps someone got a test where they are compared?

Xtreme Addict
    Wich would you say is better at low speed fans (400-1500), XSPC RX480 or Thermochill 120.4?
    Those are such drastic differences in pressure. 400 RPM is REALLY low speed and 1500RPM is Medium speed.

I haven't seen a comparison of them yet or even a review, but the XSPC RX360 is better than the old TC at low fan speeds. I'm not sure how much the old TC differs from the new, but it seems significant.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I've not had either so couldn't say.

The new TC rads are totally different so I'm not sure how they'd perform.

Hardware

Visitor
    I just did what their FAQ suggested:

Flushing / Prepwork
    All Thermochill radiators are flushed at the factory, however there may still be some residues within the system. Thermochill only use water-based soldering flux... as such it is recommended that the radiator is flushed by recirculating hot water for an hour. This should be more than enough to break down any flux residue. The radiator should then be flushed with room temperature distilled water for 15 minutes.
    I ran mine through a hot tap for about an hour. Temp of the rad maxed out at 65C. Then flushed it with distilled. Everything was fine. Just be careful that you don't run the full water pressure or it could damage the rad (I think).

Xtreme Member
    Prestone makes products specifically for cleaning out rads. Available at pretty much any auto parts store.

http://www.prestone.com/products/coo...Treatments.php

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ok, so 11 flushes later and still flux in those rads

I tried boiling some water in the kettle and adding boiling water to the rads to break down the flux last night. Anyone else used boiling water? Is it ok to use?

Hardware

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Navanod View Post
    I gave up and just used it after flushing as much as possible out...

Check out this little thread from me
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=197539

There's still some of the flux in the loop now even after using for months and then cleaning and refilling...
    I am running three 120.3's. Two never gave me a problem. The third, after a year of use and more flushing then I can count still deposits flux all over everything.

Ok, so 11 flushes later and still flux in those rads

I tried boiling some water in the kettle and adding boiling water to the rads to break down the flux last night. Anyone else used boiling water? Is it ok to use?
    Yes boiling water is what I always use. No problems. Still has not gotten the flux out of the third one though.

Banned
    Are you sure it's flux in the water and not something else? Are you using tap water or distilled when you leave it to soak? Something doesn't seem right, if this is what you have to go through before using it I am glad I dont own one

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bluehaze View Post
    Are you sure it's flux in the water and not something else? Are you using tap water or distilled when you leave it to soak? Something doesn't seem right, if this is what you have to go through before using it I am glad I dont own one
    I'm not sure what else it could be. The water in this area isn't that hard by the looks of the inside of my kettle.

I'm using tap water when I leave it to soak though.

The water seems to be a little clearer now though I must admit.

These rads are notorious for taking many flushes, but I wouldn't buy any other. :P

Hardware

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast