Thread: Adding mosfets to n2u400-a

Xtreme Member

Adding mosfets to n2u400-a

I've been looking at my ecs n2u400-a, and it has place to solder 2 more mosfets. The pads are conected to the other 2 mosfets existing there.

I will be adding caps in parallel in the bottom of the board, and tought of getting mosfets equal to those existing there, for maybe cooler mosfets and stable voltages.

Currently running 2650@2v, and must have a fan blowing to the mosfets, wich are already heatsinked, or the board will reboot due to very high temp of the most top mosfet.

Is it possible to add the mosfets there?

Xtreme Member
    Anyone?

IT Engineer in the making
    Perhaps it helps, but perhaps it totally screws up your board. I'd rather get a decent board like an Abit NF7 or a DFI. But that's just my opinion. If you wanna risk it, go ahead and try it.
    Quote from one of our professors:
    "Reality is hiding in the imaginary part."

XS_THE_MACHINE
    I've always wanted to try this, but havent had much time with school. What I wanted to do though was add mosfets in parallel like you, but I was going to piggy-back them. I couldnt find a reason it wouldnt work, and alot of other people couldnt either. I have been to busy with school to try this. How do you plan to add mosfets to the underside of the board.
    "Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting"

clicks to save kids

XS Intel News & DČOL enhanced
    you cant piggy-back them. gate resistance ect will change and the mosfet driver wont be able to drive the mosfets properly.

IT Engineer in the making
    Quote Originally Posted by moddolicous
    I've always wanted to try this, but havent had much time with school. What I wanted to do though was add mosfets in parallel like you, but I was going to piggy-back them. I couldnt find a reason it wouldnt work, and alot of other people couldnt either. I have been to busy with school to try this. How do you plan to add mosfets to the underside of the board.
    You didn't understand!!! He wants to add mosfets to solder beds that are already there on the board, but elitegroup decided to leave them bare without mosfets. And he only wants to add CAPs in parallel.
    Quote from one of our professors:
    "Reality is hiding in the imaginary part."

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by celemine1Gig
    You didn't understand!!! He wants to add mosfets to solder beds that are already there on the board, but elitegroup decided to leave them bare without mosfets. And he only wants to add CAPs in parallel.
    That's it. Ecs left soldering pads for mosfets without anything, they do this in many boards.
    The caps, i was planning to put them in parallel, on the underside of the board, like LostViking did to it's DFI.

And no i don't want any NF7 or DFI(sucks for cpu overclocking), had them, didn't like them. Or i liked the dfi, till 2 died on me.

Champion
    First of all, you might need an aditional driving stage for those 2 mosfets you want to add. What is the voltage regulating IC on that motherboard? Also, where are you gong to get another coil for the extra phase you are adding ? It needs to be identical with the ones on the other phases.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eversor
    That's it. Ecs left soldering pads for mosfets without anything, they do this in many boards.
    The caps, i was planning to put them in parallel, on the underside of the board, like LostViking did to it's DFI.

And no i don't want any NF7 or DFI(sucks for cpu overclocking), had them, didn't like them. Or i liked the dfi, till 2 died on me.
    I don't think i'm adding a phase! Am I?

The two spots left for soldering are conected to 2 of the mosfets, while the other 2 dont connect to the soldering spot.
    So i'm just adding more mosfets to one of the phases right?

c[_]
    correct Eversor.

You need to look at them and ones near them to see if you need to add any SMD resistors or capacitors also.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Eversor
    I don't think i'm adding a phase! Am I?

The two spots left for soldering are conected to 2 of the mosfets, while the other 2 dont connect to the soldering spot.
    So i'm just adding more mosfets to one of the phases right?
    Yeah you're not adding a phase, i read your post in a hurry and i must've skipped some parts. Theoretically you can add the fets, but make sure they are the same type as the ones already used on the motherboard. It would be interesting to know what is the voltage regulating chip on that motherboard, i'm guessing it's the L6916/7 as that's the only one i know that has an application with 3 transistors per phase in the datasheet.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Micutzu
    Yeah you're not adding a phase, i read your post in a hurry and i must've skipped some parts. Theoretically you can add the fets, but make sure they are the same type as the ones already used on the motherboard. It would be interesting to know what is the voltage regulating chip on that motherboard, i'm guessing it's the L6916/7 as that's the only one i know that has an application with 3 transistors per phase in the datasheet.
    It's an realtek RT9241B, it's only 2 phase.