Thread: Plan for 2nd loop. Sound good?

Plan for 2nd loop. Sound good?

So, the eye-candy that is the EK Classified full board block has me planning out a second loop for my system and I wanted to run some ideas by you guys to see what you all think.

Currently, I have a HK CPU block for my i7 920, a triple rad, single 140 rad, MCP655, and gtx285 in a loop (specifics in my sig). I have a 2nd gtx 285 that I'll be adding in because it had no compatible blocks for a while (damn EVGA) and the Classified block.

Because it's getting to be a pretty hefty amount of things to cool, I wanted to separate them into 2 loops. I know I'll probably end up getting another double or triple rad, still deciding which would fit. Thus, here come my questions:

1) Would I be better off putting the board block in a loop with my GPUs, thus isolating the heat the inferno that is the i7?

2) Is there a significant difference in running the GPU blocks in parallel vs. series?

3) Depending on 1 and 2, which pump would fit my needs best for pressure and flow? I was currently considering a 2nd 655.

4) If I was to use some bling connectors for both the SLI and 45-degree connectors, which would be best?

5) Anything else I'm forgetting?

I appreciate any/all feedback!

Thanks!
    CT
    Hardware: Intel Core i7 920 || EVGA Classified X58 || BFG Tech GTX 285 || 6GB OCZ DDR3 1600 RAM || Corsair 850W PSU || WD Black 1TB HDD || Cooler Master HAF 932 || T-balancer big

Cooling: Swiftech MCP655 || Watercool Heatkiller Rev 3 || Koolance VID-NX285 || MCR320 Triple Rad || Black IceŽ GTS Gen Two Xtreme 140 || EK-Multioption RES 100 Rev 2 || 7/16" Primochill UV Red Tubing

1) I'd probably put the board block on the GPU loop and test it out that way. If you have a triple for your SLI GPUs, you'll probably be okay with the block on there (Caveat, I don't know if the EK block is particularly restrictive).

2) I haven't seen definitive evidence either way, so I'd just set it up however you want. Not sure if it makes any difference if you have the board block in the loop, but I doubt it.

3) You should be fine with a second 655 pump.

4) The Bitspower 45 degree fittings are nice. Not sure what the best SLI fitting is for two cards - check out Koolance, Danger Den, Bitspower ... (some one will come along and give you an answer)

5) Do you have drain lines set up so it's easy to empty/change out your setup?

Have fun. You'll probably get several different suggestions. I think the best way to check things out is just to give it a go. You can always change it later.
    Last edited by shazza; 07-01-2009 at 09:01 AM.

I don't have any drain lines setup. I usually just detach from my res and let it flow into a bottle
    Hardware: Intel Core i7 920 || EVGA Classified X58 || BFG Tech GTX 285 || 6GB OCZ DDR3 1600 RAM || Corsair 850W PSU || WD Black 1TB HDD || Cooler Master HAF 932 || T-balancer big

Cooling: Swiftech MCP655 || Watercool Heatkiller Rev 3 || Koolance VID-NX285 || MCR320 Triple Rad || Black IceŽ GTS Gen Two Xtreme 140 || EK-Multioption RES 100 Rev 2 || 7/16" Primochill UV Red Tubing

Quote Originally Posted by ctsoccer13 View Post
    I don't have any drain lines setup. I usually just detach from my res and let it flow into a bottle
    If that works for you, than that's fine. I always seem to end up wearing the coolant when I try to do it that way

Xtreme Member
    +1 to seperating the CPU into its own loop.
    the Borg Cube:
    Case - Lian Li PC-343B
    Mobo - EVGA X58 Classified (759)
    CPU - i7 920 (D0 stepping), watercooled w/Enzotech Luna Rev.A block
    RAM - Corsair Dominator GT 2000 (8-8-8-24) w/fan
    GPU - EVGA GTX295 quad-SLI, water cooled w/Koolance NX295 blocks
    PSU - Corsair HX1000
    O/S - Windows 7 RC build 7127

Xtreme Member
    What are your temps on the i7 and GTX285? Are they overclocked?
    What fans do you have, and what speed?

I'm currently just running stock clocks and settings. I know, I know... it's pretty weak, but I wanted to get my cooling system figured out before I crank it.

However, just simply with stock settings, I'm seeing about 40C idle CPU, 50 C GPU. On load, around 50C CPU, 60 GPU.

As for fans, I have 3x Scythe "Slip Stream" Medium speed fans (1600 RPM) running on a bigNG for the triple rad and a 140mm stock case fan that came with my HAF932 on the 140mm rad.

Not that I don't trust shazza, but no other opinions?

Maybe I should use Feser pre-mix with PT Nuke? I think I may put my res right after my pump in my loop. If not, I'll put my radiators in front of my blocks at least... it DEFINITELY reduces temperatures in a closed loop. Fittings are too restrictive. Computers are pointless as a whole.

EDIT: Added redundant topics to generate discussion
    Last edited by ctsoccer13; 07-02-2009 at 03:52 AM.

I am Xtreme
    Do NOT mix Fester premix with anything, it's supposed to have everything in it that you need.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    Do NOT mix Fester premix with anything, it's supposed to have everything in it that you need.
    Lol, you victim to my trap. Now comment on the questions above

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsoccer13 View Post
    Lol, you victim to my trap. Now comment on the questions above
    No
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!