Thread: Review ~ Mountain Mods ~ H2gO

Review ~ Mountain Mods ~ H2gO

Today I have a Mountain Mods H2gO case up for review.

There are 6 different models in the H2gO case, the one here is the Anodized black, with clear windows. (H2gOab) This case alone has 6 different options for the windows.

To start this off, a few basic stats on the case itself, as seen on their website.
    Specifications:
    Material - Aluminum 5052
    Thickness - 1.65mm-3.25mm
    Dimensions - 17 x 12.75 x 13.5 inches
    Finish - Brushed, Powder Coat, or Anodized
    HD Bay - One set of 120mm HD racks
    Hard Drives - Holds 3 out of box (6 with additional 120mm rack set)
    5.25 Devices - Holds 3
    MB Tray Form Factors - mATX/ATX
    Fan Mounts - 6-120mm
    Empty Weight - 11 lbs.

A couple of images of their packaging.

As you can see in these two images, the packaging was stellar. I had an image of the outside before opening, but it seems as if the camera ate it. O_o
    In these next 2 pictures, it shows the wrapping used directly around the case itself. Between this and the rest of the foam and cardboard packaging, I’d say it was set up rather well for safe shipping.

In this image, you can see the backside of the case, where there is room for the power supply and 3 x 120mm fans. Or as some of us like, radiator spaces! ^_^
    The case is designed with the Thermochill rads in mind.
    Beside the case, the 3.5 HD racks, motherboard stand-offs and 5.25” bay, holders? Working on figuring out how these actually hold them in place. Odds are this is just my ignorance showing. -_-

A front/angled view of the top, front and window side.

As you can see in these next 2 images, Mountain Mods has the case divided into 2 sections, as is typical of their cases. There is room on the top front for a Thermochill PA 120.2, as well as on the back, if mounted externally. They have made that rather easy to do with the holes placed on the backside for tubing up to 7/8” OD. There are several different locations on the motherboard tray to run tubing and/or wiring through. The tray is made of cast acrylic and is simply stunning in my humble opinion. The pictures just don’t do it justice.

In this image you can see the holes for the tubing, which they have covered by cast acrylic. (This is easily removed with 2 screws.) The power supply is placed directly under the motherboard on the lower half of the case. This design will prevent the use of some slightly older power supplies, that shouldn’t be a problem with any recently made.

A shot of the lower half. The power supply would be in the back left corner from this shot and the 5.25” bays in the front right.
    You can see the clarity of the cast acrylic tray that divides the case as well. Did some pretty nice work on this.

Here you can see the top half. On the front (right) there is the spacing for the Thermochill PA 120.2 I mentioned earlier. Notice as well the 3 different holes in the cast acrylic motherboard tray/divider for running tubing and/or any wiring if/where needed.

A little note that I wanted to point out, Ben from Mountain Mods informed me of this, so I thought I should spread it as well.
    “This unit has the 25mm Thermochill spacing as all H2gO’s had. Newer revisions will be 15mm as Thermochill is changing so will we. “
    So a little heads up on that little detail. ^_^
    I’ve been looking over this case rather thoroughly, upwards, downwards, forwards and back working over how I am going to put everything in. Well maybe how isn’t the right word, where would be better suited!
    This case is well designed with plenty of different possible options for placement on nearly anything you might have. The only 3 things that are stuck as to their placement, the power supply, motherboard (obviously) and the 5.25” drives. Everything else can be positioned pretty much anywhere you might want it. Internal water-cooling, external, air cooling is not an unlikely option with this case. It being a divided case leaves it open for nice air flow. Not to mention the 6 different locations for 120mm fans.
    Easy, breezy, cove… oh wait, that’s a commercial for something else… O_o

Without a doubt this is one of the best cases I’ve seen to date. The space it provides while still remaining a relatively small case is astounding. The simplicity of the layout is fabulous. The removal of 2 panels and you have all the room you might need to run anything and everything you would need.

I would like to thank Ben @ Mountain Mods for the opportunity to review and show this case off to everyone. Head over and check out their site, a great group of folk and some very nice hardware.
    Last edited by IFMU; 07-02-2009 at 09:34 PM.

Xtreme Member
    nice
    • i7 920 D0
    • Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
    • Corsair Dominator 12GB
    • MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition OC 2GB
    • OCZ Vertex 4 128GB
    • WD1002FAEX 1TB
    • Corsair HX850W
    • CaseLabs Magnum TH10
    • Dell UltraSharp U2410
    • Logitech G500
    • SteelSeries QcK Mass
    • Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX

Xtreme Addict
    Thank you so much for this review. I have a first generation MM-UFO and I love it. However, it is simply too big for me as I don't do water cooling. This case looks just great and with the horizontal mobo tray placement, I don't have to worry about my TRUE Copper bending my mobo. I assume the mobo tray is removable, right?

I do believe it is removable with a simple 4 screws.
    Might be one or two more, but am pretty sure it just takes 4.

Thanks ^_^

Xtreme Addict
    Have you been able to figure out how the 5.25" bay holders work? I am seriously thinking of purchasing this case.

Not yet no. I dont have a system to put into it yet. I'm waiting on parts for it. Once those come in, it might be a bit easier to figure out.
    Sorry,,,

all outta gum
    Nice, but could you go a bit easier on the compression? 30-40 kB for a picture is very little, I think you can make them around 100 kB each.
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Very nice..Thanks for the review!
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Addict
    Ok. I just ordered one (Solid anodized black as I hate windows and lights and other fancy stuff). Looking forward to moving my system from UFO to this one.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by SamHughe View Post
    Have you been able to figure out how the 5.25" bay holders work? I am seriously thinking of purchasing this case.
    If you're talking about the small black plates shown in the picture, it's really easy. You screw them on a 120mm fan, and that's it ( 1 on each side ). Not only it's extremely ingenious, you also get direct cooling on your hard drives.
    I use this a lot in my ufo opti, it holds now 6 hard drives, 4 of which using this method
    2x Harpers 5492, 8GB DDR2-800 FBDIMM, SuperMicro X7DWA-N, Raptors in Raid0, 1TB Storage, Dual Watercooling loop, U2UFO, Enermax 1000W
    Some nice LianLi case, i7 965 Extreme, FoxConn BloodRage, 3x2GB OCZ Blade 2000, Zotac GTX260, Enermax 700W

I have always been a huge fan of mountain mods. Thanks for the pics.
    ASUS P6T Deluxe :: INTEL i7 920 :: XFX GTX260 :: Corsair 1600 6gb :: Corsair 750TX :: TRUE 120 :: Samsung T240 24" :: Win7 Ultimate X64

Love the case, hate the pricetag. One day..

Xtreme Member
    For those interested -

On the 5.25 bays they mount the same as the Bob Slay.
    You receive 4 long 3mm threaded screws that will allow mounting from underneath the chassis into the lowest device. It must be a device with bottom mounting holes - most CDR/DVD devices have these bottom mounts as it is a standard.

See Bob slay pages 4/5 for information on the assembly of the 5.25 bays. Its much the same just with an additional device.

http://www.mountainmods.com/images/bobslay.pdf

Nice job.
    If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants.? -Isaac Newton

Xtreme Member
    From the outside the case looks great like it was from one part, but the interior sux for me.

its a shame we cant easly get these in the UK. shipping etc just makes them that little bit to expensive.
    c2d e8500 q822a536
    x38-t2r LT bios 10/2
    ocz blade 9200 2x 2Gb
    4890 sapphire catalyst 9.7
    3x samsung spinpoint p120 250Gb 2xraid0 stripe 16k
    pioneer dvr216
    850w silverstone st85f
    akasa omega
    swift storm
    swift mcw-30
    1x 240mm thermochill & 1x 120mm rads
    mcp-655 pump