Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Xtremesystems Einstein@Home team and member rank

Xtreme Cruncher
    Well gents it has been a lot of fun seeing us rocket up through the ranks on this project and while I never did catch Paladin (cheers to you ) I did reach my personal goal of 500k and I feel it is time for me to move on. I will be switching over to WCG as part of the "Super Computer" challenge. We have already started to see some really impressive results and I hope in the end we can keep some of the new crunchers on board.

Any thoughts on projects we can crash after that?

Best regards,
    Steve

Xtreme Cruncher
    have a good one snow, although i thought you were going to try and catch me

im with you though, in the next week or so, ill be moving everything ive got over to the wcg guys, for the supercomputer race they have going on/

that should be a fun race to see how everyone stacks up against each other on one project.
    Its not overkill if it works.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'll be switching everything for Movieman's WCG challenge too. Still have to keep my eye on Glenn in GPUgrid, though.
    DeXter::2xXeon2.4@3200, GF6800, PC-DL, 1gb Centon, IWT+panaflo air, Win7
    Quad::Q6600(g0)@3400(1.30V), GTX275, 965P-DS3, 4gb HyperX, Asus SilentSquare (air), Win7_64U
    NuQuad::Q9400@3300(1.24V), 8800GT, G31M-ES2L, 2gb Patriot, stock air (bigger Q6600 one), WinXP64
    Crunch::E4300@2400, onboard, GF7100PVT-M3, 2gb Patriot CL5, stock air, Vista64U

Xtreme Cruncher
    Is there any interest in this project here? I have 6 cores and 2 GPUs on E@H on another team. Would move here if there was interest.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Anyone else feel like going for a run

I'm coming back to run my first 1M for this project up the flag pole

There have been some interesting developements over at the project with a new version of their CUDA app now capable of putting a real load on Nvidia GPUs and returning much better runtimes.

I've been dialing in on tweaks for best OC / runtimes ... any thoughts on posting up the deets in this thread or should we start a new one titled
    "Einstein has CUDA "
    or
    "Einstein - Team XS below rank 200 "

Any takers?

Xtreme Cruncher
    How much do the CUDA apps produce?
    Team XS: xs4s.org

Xtreme Cruncher
    From a raw points perspective they are not so hot ... my calcs so far tell me that at max OC my GTX480 will do about 21K per day. In general, I think points are nice but that's not the only part of crunching that makes me tick

Xtreme Cruncher
    I've been executing 3 WUs at a time on my GTX480 and 2 on each GPU of my GTX295 ... I should top out at about 50K PPD.

I noticed there are some regular crunchers on this project (and a few parttimers) who, while may not be posting here, have seen the team uptick and have started putting a few more resources onto this project

Tomorrow I think we'll take overall team position 200

<smak>
    Paladin, Narmacil, glennpat ... consider yourselves on notice ... I WILL be passing you all very shortly ... do your best, make it difficult for me
    skycrane ... you might be safe for now but who knows, I might change my mind and decide you need to go down also
    </smak>

Thanks to Cesinge of creeping up and making me take this serious again

Xtreme Cruncher
    I added my 8800GT back to E@H. Did not like loosing 2 CPU WCG threads to E@H but looks like it will now use just GPU if set in preferences. Even if I am reading it wrong I am running 8 more threads than I did before so I can afford 2 I guess.

Xtreme Cruncher
    back poppa.
    You got it right ... you can run just GPU and it is much more efficient that before!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Anyone else getting errors? I got 6 and have never had any before. Some were errors for wingman as well but a few were not. Cleaned out the dust from heatsink, hope 8800GT is not going bad on me.

Xtreme Cruncher
    hmmm .... I have found this project to be "easy" on my GPUs ... even running multiple instances (which I don't think your 8800GT has enough memeory for) usage and temps are fairly low so I can push max OC higher than GPUGrid. In fact, I can push high enough that my PC starts to lag and that's a sure indictor that I am leaning over the edge of the card's capabilities no matter how much V I try to give it. Of course the project is down right now so I can;t check to see what my error rate has been ... I do remember seeing a couple a few days ago but because it's a dedicated cruncher I don;t get to *see* it very much. On more than one project I have suspected that another project has *interferred* somehow, causing GPU instability (maybe not properly releasing resources?) and then a couple of crashes. Once I reboot and run only one project on my GPU (always running WCG on CPU) I almost never have issues. That's all observational and I have done nothing to try and make it happen nor have I kept any notes.

Xtreme Cruncher
    It was 6 WUs all in one day. The wingman results were all different, some also errored, some the all GOU wus did and CPU did not, 2 I errored out and other 3 did not. But none since so I guess it was the batch of WUs.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Sounds like you nailed it ... bad batch.

Thanks to everyones contributions we've been getting some nice team stats lately ... made it to 193.
    I'll be mostly off line for the next 5-6 days ... should be a huge points dump as I'll leave the rigs working ... they do better when I'm not around anyway

Xtreme Cruncher

It is with great pleasure that I can announce that after a concerted, sustained effort, POPPAGEEK has not only acheived his 300K milestone but on the very same day he has smashed through the crust on the all time team XS pie for Eintein!!!

Congrats and happy crunching,
    Steve

Xtreme Cruncher
    Thanks SC. Was watching the daily numbers and did not even notice. Planning on being around awhile so we shall see where I end up.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I see Gamekiller putting up some points.

of the Strawhat crew.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoppaGeek View Post
    I see Gamekiller putting up some points.
    I was wondering if anyone would notice!

Thanks! Though, my GTX 295 seems to be taking an hour longer per WU than my 9800GT and my friend's GTX 460. The 460 I could understand but should the 9800GT smoking my card? lol

This is with 1 WU per gpu. I've tried with SLI on and off. Same result.

Just checked the results and the rig with my 295 is taking 3,000-4,000 seconds more of GPU time and 1-3k more seconds of cpu time in some cases. Yes this is my main rig but I haven't been doing anything on it lately.

Sorry for the off topic!!

XtremeSystems BF3 Platoon - Any XS member is welcome.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I have gone thru the computer list of many E@H crunchers looking to see how different GPUs do and was left totaly confused. My 8800GT does better than some cards that are much more powerful and the same as like a GTX260. Since some of these were on accounts with more than 2 crunchers active I am assuming the differences are not full-time to part-time comparisons. I really do not understand why there is such differences.

So I am not surprised by your expierence as you don't seem to be alone.
    Last edited by PoppaGeek; 03-03-2011 at 12:36 AM.

of the Strawhat crew.
    I see. Well, I'll just let it do it's thing! Thanks again for the welcome. I plan to stay until I get in to the top 10-15 unless that proves impossible.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I just ordered another GTX460 for GPUGrid and going to move a GTX260 to E@H. We'll see how it does compared to my 8800GT.

I edited earlier post. Had do and meant don't.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Gamekiller

One of my rigs has an old 2 card 295 on Win7 x64 and getting some very good results. Let's see what we can do to get you the best possible runs

You can run 2 WUs at a time on each GPU so a total of 4 "running" when you look at BOINC Manager. With a bit of OC it takes about 1 hour 45 minutes per WU. The best I could get it to was 1 hour 36 minutes but then again that is with overvolting, overclocking and fans at 100%

Operating system makes a difference but this is also fairly dependant on CPU so the faster you OC the CPU the better. I am running the 295 on a rig with an i7-920, HT on @ 3.8 GHz

of the Strawhat crew.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow Crash View Post
    Gamekiller
    Thanks!

One of my rigs has an old 2 card 295 on Win7 x64 and getting some very good results.
    I have the 2 card version running on Win7 as well.

Let's see what we can do to get you the best possible runs
    Thanks! Though now that I think about it.. it could be my card. I know this same card throws errors in gpugrid on the 2nd gpu (no overclock). I wonder if my card is semi dead.

You can run 2 WUs at a time on each GPU so a total of 4 "running" when you look at BOINC Manager.
    Tried this as soon as I started this project the other day. It was being limited by the vram and made my computer laggy. Could have been because I have SLI on and something to do with the shared vRam.

With a bit of OC it takes about 1 hour 45 minutes per WU. The best I could get it to was 1 hour 36 minutes but then again that is with overvolting, overclocking and fans at 100%
    That's a good bit faster than mine.. *WOW* just went and looked at my BOINC while typing this.. one is 2:30 hours in at 76% with almost an hour estimated to be left.

Operating system makes a difference but this is also fairly dependant on CPU so the faster you OC the CPU the better. I am running the 295 on a rig with an i7-920, HT on @ 3.8 GHz
    My friend and I are both running Q6600s but he's running a GTX 460 getting a little over an hour per WU when I'm getting twice that much or more longer run times.

My first water cooling stuff ever is heading this way (cpu only though) so maybe I'll be able to clock up my CPU again to test! (that is if I don't fry it all with water )

Thanks for the help. Snow Crash!

Hi,
    I think you must disable SLI on the 295. Best is to look with MSI Afterburner after the gpu utilization. When I turn SLI on on my 9800GX2 it crunches 2 wus @ 45% gpu load. When disabling SLI the gpu load is @ 70%.
    My Q6600@3.6GHz with 9800GX2 needs 7000s for one wu. The same gpu in my sandy bridge rig (2600K@4.6GHz) needs 4600s (HT on) or 4100s (HT off). So for the old gpus you need a lot of horse power.
    work:
    abit IP35-Pro
    Q6600 @ 3.6GHz 9x400 1.55V)
    Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme
    G.Skill 2x2GB @ DDR2 800 4-4-4-12
    2x9800GX2
    Corsair HX750

play:
    abit IP35-Pro
    E8400 @ 3.6 GHz
    Corsair H50
    G.Skill 2x1GB @ DDR 800 4-4-3-5
    Gigabyte 460GTX
    Seasonic S12II 380

Xtreme Cruncher
    @Gamekiller
    I never have SLI on as there were projects in the past that would simply crash ... that was likely the issue you were having with GPUGrid.
    Leaving one core free also helps quite a bit.
    @JuliM - do you crunch for XS?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast