Thread: Antec P180 Mini w/Asus Rampage Extreme II Gene?

Xtreme Member

Question Antec P180 Mini w/Asus Rampage Extreme II Gene?

Just curious if anyone out there has an Antec P180 Mini with an Asus Rampage Extreme II Gene motherboard? If possible I'd like to see photographs showing the inside of the system, drives, PSU area, etc.

I'm thinking of building a system using these parts but unsure if I'll have enough space for all my drives and Prolimatech Megahalems heatsink and so on. I researched this online and didn't find too many links with these parts.

If anyone could provide some photographs, it would help me out by giving me an idea of how it all fits together.

Thanks.

Assistant Administrator systemviper's Avatar
    I just got a order for that exact build,

Antec P180mini
    Asus Gene
    i7 920 DO
    GTX285

so i am excited to put it together, I should have everything by early next week and then i start building,
    It's a air build, so i am debating on which cooler t use....
    HWbot - Team: XtremeSystems
    XS cruncher - Team: XtremeSystems
    OCN Feedback
    HEAT

*** Being kind is sometimes better then being right.

Xtreme Member
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ight=gene+p180

No pix but maybe PM the OP to see if he will oblige.

ASUS Rampage II Ex 1504
    Intel i7 920 D0 3850A795
    Sapphire HD5970 EK FC 1Ghz/1150Mhz 1.237v
    OS Intel X25-M RAID0
    Data 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200/32Mb
    OCZ Reaper 6GB/1800/C8
    BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 1200w
    1X 18w DDC3.2 w/XSPC Res Top
    1X 18w DDC3.25 w/XSPC Res Top
    1X XSPC Submersible Pump/Res w/RS120mm
    HW Labs GTX480 4x120mm
    TFC Monsta 6x140mm
    EK Supreme LT 3/8" Feser Tubing
    EK IOH/SB and Mosfet Blocks
    Lian Li V2110 w/EX-34
    26" Iiyama Prolite

Xtreme Cable Management Freak
    I'll be building the same computer soon, here is a link of someone on the forums who also did the same: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=225898
    Project: HeadShot
    Intel i7 3770k | Corsair H100
    EVGA GTX-590 Classified | XSPC GTX 590 Waterblock
    Gigabyte G1.Sniper 2 MotherBoard | Swiftech MCR-320 Res/Rad/Pump
    16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile Ram
    Crucial M4 128GB / Intel X25-M 160GB / WD 1TB Black
    Corsair AX850W PSU
    27" Apple Cinema Display (2560x1440)
    Corsair 600t White
    Picture

You best be Crunching and Folding/GPUgrid'ing!

There are some pics from this kind of setup here: http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=305

If you use long graphics cards, you have to remove the lower removable drive cage (which houses 2 removable 3.5" drive trays). This leaves 3x 3.5" and an optional 3.5" in 5.25" bay (tray is included, for either hdd or ext 3.5" use).

I am building a similar setup, but still waiting on some parts.

I don't think you will have any issues with the Megahalems at least so far as the case is concerned. PSU area can get tight if you put a cd rom on the bottom 5.25" with a long PSU, but it can be done.
    lupy is as lupy does

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the links, people, most useful. I did PM a couple of users to ask if they'd be so kind to provide system build photographs.

I'm not so concerned about my ATI 4870 X2 card fitting, as I'm going to remove the lower hard-drive cage and put a 103 CFM Panaflo fan in there. I AM worried about fitting my Prolimatech heatsink in there, and it hitting a Panaflo 38mm fan which I want to install on the rear of the case. That is the chief concern I have. I like the 38mm fans, lots of air and low noise. Of course, I already know my Corsair Dominator GT RAM cooler won't fit, due to the fact that the Rampage II Gene doesn't have memory clips on one side.

My suggested "plan" is this:

* Pioneer DVD burner at the top
    * Two WD drives in the upper drive cage
    * Remove the lower drive cage and place a Panaflo 120x120x38 high-speed fan
    * Panaflo 120x120x38 low-speed fan at the rear
    * Prolimatech Megahalems CPU heatsink with Panaflo 120x120x38 low-speed fan
    * Seasonic M12D 850 watt PSU on the bottom (with fan facing downwards to the cables are on the same side as the motherboard tray)
    * Keep the 200mm Antec fan on top, shorten and sleeve the cable as will do with all the other fans.

That's what I'd like, but confirming whether all of this will fit and work the way I want isn't easy, with it being an SFF motherboard and case. It's not easy finding photographs of this combination, case and motherboard. If I can't get enough answers to my concerns, I'll just run with the Rampage II Extreme board, fit that in my Lian-Li A17B.

Thanks.
    Last edited by aln688; 06-28-2009 at 09:04 PM.

Xtreme Member
    reconsider the pioneer. My one hits the top fan so that it sticks out of the front of the case a little bit. I know samsung drives fit. I also use the Rampage II gene and the ATX 24 pin connector is smack bang next to the divider for the top and bottom hard drive cages. Its a pain in the ass to cable manage and doesnt look too pretty. Another problem with this case is if you have long video cards or even shorter ones that have the 6pin pci-e connectors to the side, u will not be able to get the bottom cage in. Also if you route the 24 pin cable through the top hole you will not be able to get the top HDD cage in.
    Last edited by nzbleach; 06-29-2009 at 03:30 AM.
    i7 920 | Asus Rampage II gene | 6GB ocz Blade | 4870x2

I would consider aftermarket cooling for the NB of the GENE if you plan to OC. Everything I have read points to it running hot and being the weak link of the board.

I am replacing the stock NB/Mosfet cooling with Thermalright HR-05/IFX and HR-09 S Type 2. The slant version of the HR-09 should allow for Megahalems, but not entirely sure (note that the HR-09 must be modded to mount to this board). Many people go with a simpler solution (which they say works quite well), which is to put the Zalman ZM-NBF47 on the NB leaving the heatpipe to mosfet cooler in place. You may want to get the board first then look to see what kind of cooling solution will work best for you. Another option is just to put a fan over the NB to actively cool it.

I can second the idea that you will want to look for a short CD/DVD-ROM drive for this case, as well as going for the shortest PSU that gets you the quality and power you need. Personally, I chose the Corsair 750HX. Which is long at 7.09", but a little shorter than many of the 7-800+ PSU's at 7.8"+ in length.
    lupy is as lupy does

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canislupy View Post
    I would consider aftermarket cooling for the NB of the GENE if you plan to OC. Everything I have read points to it running hot and being the weak link of the board.
    I have been reading that, yes. I read on the review for this board on Hardware Canucks that they think the NB doesn't need replaced, and that the yellow thermal compound seems to do its job. I will say, logically if the NB gets hot, that would indicate the NB heatsink from Asus *is* doing its job, transferring heat, it's just that the heat doesn't have anywhere far to travel. If the NB wasn't hot, I would think heat transfer wasn't good.

I am replacing the stock NB/Mosfet cooling with Thermalright HR-05/IFX and HR-09 S Type 2. The slant version of the HR-09 should allow for Megahalems, but not entirely sure (note that the HR-09 must be modded to mount to this board). Many people go with a simpler solution (which they say works quite well), which is to put the Zalman ZM-NBF47 on the NB leaving the heatpipe to mosfet cooler in place. You may want to get the board first then look to see what kind of cooling solution will work best for you. Another option is just to put a fan over the NB to actively cool it.
    Your last idea was my suggestion. I bought an Antec Spot Cool for this job, and plan on screwing the fan into the right middle screw on the board, leaving the fan on medium pointing directly over the NB area. I found plenty of 40mm fans, just no real good way to attach them, so the Spot Cool fan from Antec seems a good idea.

I can second the idea that you will want to look for a short CD/DVD-ROM drive for this case, as well as going for the shortest PSU that gets you the quality and power you need. Personally, I chose the Corsair 750HX. Which is long at 7.09", but a little shorter than many of the 7-800+ PSU's at 7.8"+ in length.
    It looks like I'm looking for a new DVD burner then! I have the Pioneer DVR-216DBK, great burner. However, if it doesn't fit, out it goes. My Seasonic M12D 850watt (160mm) is a short PSU, shorter than the new Corsair HX850 (180mm), yet it's just as good quality if not better. Good thing is, it's modular as well. I don't like the fact Seasonic puts an old-style 4-pin CPU power cable on it that's fixed, but that's life, full of compromise.

I'm looking to get 4.0 GHz out of this board, using a 920 D0 stepping CPU. I built an Asus P6T Deluxe V2 for a friend that gets 4.0 GHz easily, with a maximum temperature of 72 C with HT off. I'm looking to get similar with this board.
    Last edited by aln688; 07-01-2009 at 09:35 PM.

Well, your Pio should be fine in one of the two bottom 5.25" bays, just not gonna work in the top.
    lupy is as lupy does

Xtreme Member

After looking at this board and the parts, I'm going to take the top off of the stock Asus heatsink and put a Noctua U6 on there, then blow air over the entire area with an Antec Spot Cool fan. I'd like to remove the entire Asus heatsink, but I can't find a suitable "install from the box" MOSFET heatsink. Yes, I'm aware the HR-09S Type 1 or 2 will fit if you cut the retention clips, but I want something that'll install as-is. Do you have any pictures of your setup? It would be good to see and give me an idea of what works. Thanks.

I'm going to sell my Pioneer which won't fit and get a Plextor PX-850SA, I know that'll fit as the stated dimensions are 170mm in length.