Thread: Designing a custom TEC chiller

Post Designing a custom TEC chiller

Hey, I started a new thread as suggested. Currently I am in the middle of an i7 build consisting of dual GTX 285 graphic cards which I had from my last rig. I am water cooling the cpu, gpu's, and motherboard chipsets and v regs (EVGA X58 classified). I was looking into making my own custom chiller using the 437 watt peltiers from frozen cpu. I am avoiding phase at all cost due to noise space constraints and bad past experience with unreliability with these units.
    I work as a lab tech with access to solidworks and some co workers with machining facilities that help me out on the final design. Ive over clocked with AMD in the past and this is my first Intel build. Im not too familiar with tec's, but I get the ideal and the principles behind there operation. I've already ordered my power supply which is an ultra X3 1600. It is a single 12V rail unit capable of 117 amps (1404 watts) on the 12V rail alone. My current rig used no more than 50 to 60 amps on the 12V rail measured with a fluke ammeter at full load. I was wondering if the 12V rail could support a tec since it is no where close to being fully utilized? Ive already started drawing up the designs of the chiller on solid works.
    I need as much feedback as possible such as peltier suggestions, amount of pelts, and design suggestions, etc. . Also suggestions on a secondary supply if really needed would be appreciated. Ive read thrugh almost every thread on peltier cooling. Any of your experience with pelts would be appreciated greatly. Final goal is to have dual loop system using a chiller that is pulse width modulated that will regulate the cold side of the loop. I have a designs in place for the controller. Im trying to keep the design as compact and neat as possible. I will post some pictures when I have the drawing done. Thanks

-150c Club Member
    You will not want to use the same powersupply, supplying high enough gauge wires is a pain, but you can very easily harm your computer this way.
    Meanwell's can be procurred rather cheaply as well.
    The more peltiers the better, as this increases the surface area of cooling and increases efficiency. You will want to run them underpowered as well. Thus a large amount of 50mm peltiers would be a good idea.

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Yeah i was thinking 5 or 6 60 mm 475 pelts underpowered.

-150c Club Member
    Could work pretty well.
    If you have access to CNC milling, a "wave" pattern is very good.

Since im probably going to end up using a separate PSU for the pelts, id probably be better off returning the 1600 and use my Ultra X3 1000 I already own for the pc. I think 1600 watts is overkill for an sli rig on an i7 or am i wrong?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The best results will be achieved with the biggest Chiller possible using the lowest powered TEC's to obtain your required combined QMAX. This is because the load is spread across a larger surface area which will reduce conduction losses significantly.

you'd want at least 2000 watts of REAL Qmax. It will probably be pulling 1kw of power, though that would depend on what delta you run them at.

Really wish you'd stop wasting your time with PC PSU's and go get a meanwell

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrasonic2 View Post
    The best results will be achieved with the biggest Chiller possible using the lowest powered TEC's to obtain your required combined QMAX. This is because the load is spread across a larger surface area which will reduce conduction losses significantly.

you'd want at least 2000 watts of REAL Qmax. It will probably be pulling 1kw of power, though that would depend on what delta you run them at.

Really wish you'd stop wasting your time with PC PSU's and go get a meanwell
    I am not planning on using the pc power supply to power the tec. What i was asking was since im was not using the pc power supply to run the pc and the pelts, would the ultra x3 1000 be able to support the pc alone instead of using the 1600? I brought the 1600 intending to use it to run the tec. Since this is not the case anymore I think it would be overkill haveing a 1600 watt psu for the pc alone.

-150c Club Member
    The PC will only consume what it needs, the extra headroom is always good.