Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review: Rampage II Extreme waterblocks: Bitspower vs. Koolance

Xtreme Enthusiast

Lightbulb Review: Rampage II Extreme waterblocks: Bitspower vs. Koolance

Here's a rather unusal test report (for me at least): Instead of the usual CPU blocks or radiator, I decided to do a small comparison of the Bitspower and Koolance mainboard blocks for the Rampage II Extreme.

Externals

The BP-top is made of black nickel plated brass, while the KL-top consists of two layers: One thin acrylic sheet and a polished stainless steel cover. Both surfaces are highly reflective and also very prone to getting smudged up by fingerprints.

BP

KL

The bases of the two blocks are very similar. On the one hand, they both need to have the same "topography" of course, since they need to fit the same mainboard. But they are also both made from black nickel plated copper.

These surfaces are also highly reflective and it's almost a bit of a pity that you'll never see them once the blocks are installed:

Internals

Let's have a look inside these blocks:

The BP-Block has it's channels in the top as well as the bottom part. This will probably benefit flow.

The KL-Block has a rough pin structure above the SB and the typical red o-ring.
    Here you can see the three layers (well, you can clearly see two of them, at least) the KL block consists of:

More Blocks

Since the Rampage II Extreme has a so called QPI-DRAM power card that is elevated above the rest of the mainboard, the manufacturers needed to find a way to cool components on two different layers. Here are the QPI-DRAM blocks:

The Bitspower version has a POM-top while the Koolance one is made from the same materials as the main Koolance block.
    koolance uses a special bridgeing fitting to connect the two blocks, Bitspower provides a D-Plug fitting. Both methods work equally well.

Here are the Bitspower Mosfet blocks:

They also have POM-tops and are engraved with the BP-Dragon, which I think is a very nice detail.
    I couldn't get a hold of Koolance Mosfet-blocks but I got some made by MIPS instead:

Being MIPS blocks, they are, naturally, f***ing gorgeous (pic doesn't do them justice).

Blemishes

Unfortunately, both main blocks were slightly blemished:

Of course, this doesn't mean that they are all going to be blemished. But still, one would hope that something like this just doesn't happen when shelling out the cash necessary for these blocks. If you aren't a perfectionist, you may not even mind.

Installation

The installation for both sets was "easy". I write that in quotation marks because installing a complete mainboard waterblock set isn't exactly hassle-free in any case. It's a lot more work than installing a CPU-block, for example. But the installation is still easy in the sense that both blocks are well thought out and they don't have any weaknesses that would make the installation process more difficult than it already is.
    For installation instructions, check out my Video.

Both sets look great once installed on the mainboard:

(Fittings not included with either set)

Testing

I did a relatively simple test with these blocks, since in my opinion, mainboard temperatures aren't as sensitive or as important to most people as CPU temperatures. So I didn't do multiple mounts and that kind of thing. Instead, I set up a simple little loop consisting of the blocks and:

- Laing DDC with EK X-Res top
    - 13/10 (3/8") Masterkleer-Tubing
    - HWLabs Black Ice GTS 140 Radiator
    - 1x Sharkoon System Fan Power @ 12V
    - 4x analogue temperature probes measuring water temperature
    - 3x digital temperature probes measuring ambient temperature
    - GMR flowmeter
    - T-Balancer bigNG plus Sensorhub

No other blocks except the MB-blocks were in this loop. I tested by running Prime95 small FFT for 45 minutes and then noting water, ambient and NB as well as SB temperatures. I also logged and noted the flowrates achieved.
    Let's get to the results.

Flow

I tested the Koolance set with the MIPS blocks as well as the Bitspower blocks. This shows that the main block combination by Koolance is more restrictive than that by Bitspower and it also shows that the mosfet-blocks by MIPS are also more restrictive than those by Bitspower.

Temperature

To measure a waterblocks relevant performance, the temperature of the component (here the SB or NB) is substracted from the water temperature. This shows the cooling potential of each block:

As we can see, for both the NB and SB temperatures, the Bitspower block performs a bit better. This is partially due to the fact that the BP blocks come with Arctic Silver 5 as their thermal grease, while the KL blocks use "generic" thermal grease. I tested each block with it's respective grease, though in retrospect, I guess I should have tested them with using the same stuff.
    Anyway, the differences are pretty marginal compared to what you get with the stock cooling.
    At 24° C ambient temperature, on an open test-bench, NB and SB temps would reach 61° C and 60° C respectively with the stock heatsinks.
    The temperatures with either the Koolance or the Bitspower set will be vastly better than this unless your water is scorching hot (> 50° C). So ultimately, both sets get the job more than done.

Conclusion

Concerning flow and cooling performance, the Bitspower block definitely wins this one, albeit by a small margin.
    For me personally, looks are just as important as performance for MB blocks. I am not going to use the RIIE for myself but if I were, I mus say I'd be hard pressed to choose between the two sets. They are very different, but I like the design of either one. Both are well-made and both make the RIIE look really nice. Ultimately, if performance and flow are very important to you, I recommend the Bitspower blocks. If performance is secondary, simply follow your gut and get the blocks that appeal to you most.

I hope you enjoyed this small test-report. For some more pics, check out the original, German article on DeXgo.com.
    Also, you can see my installation video in English here on DeXgo or here in my Youtube-Channel.

Cheers,
    Shane

Visitor
    Gut! Very nice video as well.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    My koolance block also has the burns - thin stainless steel + hot laser cutting. Perhaps they need to change to waterjet... Or that awesome dissolving process!
    sigh

Xtreme Mentor
    Nice review

but i think Koolance is more sexy!!!
    Intel Core i5 6600K + ASRock Z170 OC Formula + Galax HOF 4000 (8GBx2) + Antec 1200W OC Version
    EK SupremeHF + BlackIce GTX360 + Swiftech 655 + XSPC ResTop
    Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (i7 2760QM + HD 6770M)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) , Huawei Nexus 6P
    [history system]80286 80386 80486 Cyrix K5 Pentium133 Pentium II Duron1G Athlon1G E2180 E3300 E5300 E7200 E8200 E8400 E8500 E8600 Q9550 QX6800 X3-720BE i7-920 i3-530 i5-750 Semp140@x2 955BE X4-B55 Q6600 i5-2500K i7-2600K X4-B60 X6-1055T FX-8120 i7-4790K

I am Xtreme
    great review! I agree you should use the same TIM though.
    "Thing is, I no longer consider you a member but, rather a parasite...one that should be expunged."

Xtreme Enthusiast
    grate test Shane thanks

Xtreme Addict
    Thank you for this
    Computer: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Asus P8P67 Evo | Corsair LP 16gb 1600CL9 | Silver Arrow | Essence STX | Crucial m4 128gb | Silverstone Raven 3|

Video: 2x Sapphire 6950 Toxic 2gb @ 6970 Switch @ 880 / 1350 | Asus VG248QE |

Audio: ODAC+O2 => JH|13 Pro | STX => ATH-AD700X / Audioengine A5

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks, guys.
    I have another mainboard waterblock test coming up. I'll use identical thermal paste for each set of blocks there.

There's a semi-unfair bias towards the Bitspower block in the test above. But it's only semi-unfair because the fact that the BP blocks come with AS5 is a real advantage. It's just problematic because I have two variables in one test...
    Anyway, I noticed this mistake too late and don't want to hold up other reviews by retesting everything.

Xtreme Member
    I have the same laser burning on my X58 Classfied chip-block from Koolance as well. It's noticeable when you are looking for it, but once your mobo is in the case and your head is no longer a foot away, you can't see it anymore!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HESmelaugh View Post
    Thanks, guys.
    I have another mainboard waterblock test coming up.
    Is this another R2E block test?
    I was looking at the EK model, just wondering if you might be testing it by any chance?

Helpful review, thanks.

ASUS Rampage II Ex 1504
    Intel i7 920 D0 3850A795
    Sapphire HD5970 EK FC 1Ghz/1150Mhz 1.237v
    OS Intel X25-M RAID0
    Data 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200/32Mb
    OCZ Reaper 6GB/1800/C8
    BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 1200w
    1X 18w DDC3.2 w/XSPC Res Top
    1X 18w DDC3.25 w/XSPC Res Top
    1X XSPC Submersible Pump/Res w/RS120mm
    HW Labs GTX480 4x120mm
    TFC Monsta 6x140mm
    EK Supreme LT 3/8" Feser Tubing
    EK IOH/SB and Mosfet Blocks
    Lian Li V2110 w/EX-34
    26" Iiyama Prolite

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by affiliate13 View Post
    Is this another R2E block test?
    I was looking at the EK model, just wondering if you might be testing it by any chance?

Helpful review, thanks.
    THX FOR SHARING, SHANE!

+1 but for Classified model?
    WAITING FOR SOMETHING...
    FULL LIQUID BY YBRIS
    Ybris A.C.S. FULL CHROME Limited Edition N°058 | Ybris A.C.S.-G FULL CHROME Limited Edition N°058 | SANSO PDH-054 12V A.F. | Feser Xchanger Q.R. 480 with Feser Xtender blue\Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000rpm | Tecnofront Bay Trap | Tygon R-3606 3\8" 1\2"

Xtreme Addict
    EK blocks to complete the test

I am Xtreme-ly Unemployed
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntz View Post
    I have the same laser burning on my X58 Classfied chip-block from Koolance as well. It's noticeable when you are looking for it, but once your mobo is in the case and your head is no longer a foot away, you can't see it anymore!
    I think the burn marks look kinda cool...
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive...

Banned
    Thanks for the test, seems like Koolance blocks are always more restrictive than the competitors. Wonder why this is? You wouldn't think there would be a difference with NB blocks. Now you have me wondering about the EK block.

Also that board looks awesome with the waterblocks on it!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HESmelaugh View Post
    Let's just say: One of you is right.
    ...Tease...

Quote Originally Posted by Malik View Post
    EK blocks to complete the test

ASUS Rampage II Ex 1504
    Intel i7 920 D0 3850A795
    Sapphire HD5970 EK FC 1Ghz/1150Mhz 1.237v
    OS Intel X25-M RAID0
    Data 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200/32Mb
    OCZ Reaper 6GB/1800/C8
    BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 1200w
    1X 18w DDC3.2 w/XSPC Res Top
    1X 18w DDC3.25 w/XSPC Res Top
    1X XSPC Submersible Pump/Res w/RS120mm
    HW Labs GTX480 4x120mm
    TFC Monsta 6x140mm
    EK Supreme LT 3/8" Feser Tubing
    EK IOH/SB and Mosfet Blocks
    Lian Li V2110 w/EX-34
    26" Iiyama Prolite

Xtreme Addict
    Any news on this theme ?

Xtreme Addict
    Oh man, this poor thread got butchered alive. I hadn't realized the B*P censorship was retroactive.
    i7 2600K | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | GTX Titan | Corsair DDR3-2133

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by MpG View Post
    Oh man, this poor thread got butchered alive. I hadn't realized the B*P censorship was retroactive.
    Yea, I hope Fugger lifts it really soon
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by MpG View Post
    Neither did I!

Xtreme Addict
    I have EK Waterblocks set for this mobo, but im waiting for me custom made backplates. When i will have everything i can show it and tell how this set works

Xtreme Member
    Nice review and i like the charts also. The banan's was getting my eyes crossed though. What did you use to make the charts with?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Why did this censorship occur!?

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamaxx View Post
    Why did this censorship occur!?
    Read here. It didn't fully explain it and there is some garbage to weed through, but will give you a pretty good idea.

edit: B P of Bits power is how to avoid the ban. We are all pleading with Fugger to lift it soon so no one has to re edit their posts and build logs.
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast