Thread: How to remove Pushpins?

Xtreme Addict

How to remove Pushpins?

How would one remove pushpins off of the motherboard for mounting heatsinks on the sb? Everytime I try to do it, I break the motherboard and the push pin (thank god it was an old dead mobo) I'd like to replace the mounting system of the sb heatsink on my ip-35-e but I don't want to break it

Does anyone know how? Posting a guide would be nice.

Xtreme Mentor
    squeeze back side with pliers where the tabs stick out, push.
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

pressing the pin on the other side of the motherboard and...

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    They're a female dog to remove.

You need to not only be squeezing the tabs together with a pair of pliers from one side, but also pulling hard on the other - which means you pretty much need either a third hand or something to hold the board steady while you're working.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

IT Engineer in the making
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulsCollective View Post
    They're a female dog to remove.

You need to not only be squeezing the tabs together with a pair of pliers from one side, but also pulling hard on the other - which means you pretty much need either a third hand or something to hold the board steady while you're working.
    I don't know what you did when you "need either a third hand or something" to assist you. And I didn't need much force either the many times that I removed those little push-pins.

Just flip the board over, lay it on your lap and take the pliers in one hand. Then use the other hand to gently pull on the push-pin while squeezing it together on the other side of the board. You should neither need force, nor a third hand.
    The only thing you need to be really careful about is not to scratch any traces while squeezing the push-pins's end together, using the pliers.
    Quote from one of our professors:
    "Reality is hiding in the imaginary part."

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by celemine1Gig View Post
    I don't know what you did when you "need either a third hand or something" to assist you. And I didn't need much force either the many times that I removed those little push-pins.

Just flip the board over, lay it on your lap and take the pliers in one hand. Then use the other hand to gently pull on the push-pin while squeezing it together on the other side of the board. You should neither need force, nor a third hand.
    The only thing you need to be really careful about is not to scratch any traces while squeezing the push-pins's end together, using the pliers.
    That would be one way. The other would be to use the pliers to squeeze the tab together and push it through from the back. Once you get it past the prong part that opens up, you can simply just push it out with a thumb.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

IT Engineer in the making
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    That would be one way. The other would be to use the pliers to squeeze the tab together and push it through from the back. Once you get it past the prong part that opens up, you can simply just push it out with a thumb.
    Yep, that's right. Or a combination of both methods. Depends on preference, I guess. BUT, don't use much force by any means. You'll risk serious damage to the board if you use excessive force. One slip with too much force and you'll cut some traces. And if you're not used to it, fixing those small traces is no fun at all.
    Quote from one of our professors:
    "Reality is hiding in the imaginary part."

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks guys =)

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Quote Originally Posted by celemine1Gig View Post

You've obviously never had the pleasure of dealing with some of the push-pins I've had to work with Those things can feel like they're soldered in there.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Xtreme Addict
    sometimes you have to use pliers while applying downforce on said cooler being attached by pushpins.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Banned
    I find normal push pins to be easy to remove and I get a lot of satification hearing the sound of it popping out

The stock intel fan . .. dear god, I destroyed it because it did not want to come out.

Xtreme Member
    Its easy actually well for me it is.U just need to have 1mm of nails so the dont bend when u push the pin.Just push it from the main side just a little bit so it doesnt touch the mobo,card etc and then while pushing just squeeze the end of the pin and at that moment pull from the other side.
    Sounds difficult but its not.Just for the first time.Just remember:1mm nails or u ll fail for sure!

-

How I can editing my posts in this forum

This is true

please can someone give me tools or a way to removed ATA password on hard disk seagate and thank you so much before that