Thread: Would this work?

Question Would this work?

I'm trying to figure out whether a centrifugal flow compressor (like the type used on early turbojets) which has only one main moving part be suitable for use in a phase-change cooler? If not that, how about an axial flow compressor (as used in modern turbojets)? I'm thinking it might provide some advantages over reciprocating or scroll compressors, mainly in reducing vibration severity. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Afaik a scroll has just one moving part....
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon th MG Pony View Post
    ....and avoid being a total venting loser!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hi Quixy, welcome to XS

several problems...
    there are no centrifugal or axial flow compressors small enough, although i suppose you could argue that you could take a turbo and somehow seal it and make it hermetic and spin it slowly?? many thousands of dollars of effort, when a hermetic piston compressor is cheap.

centrifugal compressor stages are limited to a compression ratio of ~4, axial stages are ~1.4 (It's been a long time since I had gas turbines in college) Typical compression ratio you need for a single stage is ~16, so you need many many stages of axial and just a few centrifugal. Same story though, for that much effort you should get a turbine engine out of the project.

Centrifugal compressors are used for refrigeration, but only when they can be large enough to justify the significant cost.
    You see what you did there? You got between me and the coffee, now this creates a SITUATION!

I am Xtreme
    Actually I thought of that too. You can get ~12 to ~14 compression ratio but that would need 3 or 4 stages as DetriotAC eluded too. IIRC some of the turoprop and jets I flew operated at those compression ratios. I could be wrong on that.

since building axial flow high rpm (20,000 to 60,000++ rpm) turbines it technically very difficult,blades design,balance & just operating at high rpm's, I had idea.

Now They make small fuel powered turbines for RC planes,not sure how many stages they are. But if the compression ratio could be achieved,remove the fuel system and connect the innnerstage via shaft to a variable speed high rpm DC motor. it in turn drives the high bypass outer stages. It could all be put inside a hermetic enclosure.

I'm sure a axial flow compressor can be built. But there would be a lot of technical challenges and you better have real real deep pockets.

Seems like the scale of model turbines would be correct ?(of course this is just a guess with no engineering data on those little turbines)

Any other Thoughts DetriotAC or anybody?
    Last edited by wdrzal; 06-25-2009 at 02:46 AM.
    The Laws of Thermodynamics say:

Zeroth Law: "You must play the game."
    First Law: "You can't win."
    Second Law: "You can't break even."
    Third Law: "You can't quit the game."

Do you wanna Play Thermodynamics ???????? I forgot "you must"

sorry for the long delay before my reply

My reasoning behind the concept of a turbine based compressor is that unlike reciprocating, rotary, or scroll compressors, they'd allow a continuously variable cooling capacity. I may have worded that wrong. The other reason was an interest in minimizing the number of moving parts. Looks like it's not feasible though. Thanks for the advice, I'll look to other methods for my goal.

HVAC/R Engineer
    anyone tried a craftsman vacume cleaner?? simple air pump...

I have a 2.2 CFM 3PH 208V Carlyle (About 2 hp) smallest one I have ever seen.

Lightbulb Ooh!

Hadn't thought of that. Might be worth experimenting with that idea. If it could operate as a refrigerant compressor you might be onto something there, Chilly1. I'm flattered to have one of the best phase-change cooling gurus take my idea seriously, especially when I was just taking a wild shot in the dark.