Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Official Launch" AMD's Six-Core Server CPUs

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    There is a little thing called Amdahls law. So for things like games I would say the upper core count (With or without HT) is around 12-16. Beyond that the reward is so extremely small.

Intels turbomode is also a result of that, besides the "legacy" support.
    My prediction is core count will likely scale in the future similarly to how RAM scales today.

Ryzen 3800X @ 4.4Ghz
    MSI X570 Unify
    32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz CL14
    Sapphire Nitro Vega 64
    OCZ Gold 850W ZX Series
    Thermaltake LV10

I am Xtreme
    there are 3 main factors that go into performance, speed and # of cores are the most important that people look at. but theres also the complexity per clock that can give an easy 20% bonus between chips and manufacturers. back 7-10 years ago we had the mhz/ghz war, in the last 2-3 years, and probably the next 5 years, its gonna be the multitasking war. but after that, i think its gonna go back to the ghz war again once things cant be threaded any more. and poor old IPC will be left alone and no one will still care about him.

Xtreme Addict
    Doesn't matter how good these processors are. You are still limited to the socket F and that means DDR2 667 or 800. So, I agree, these are not good for gamers.

Xtreme Cruncher
    ca´t imagine how many diseases this monster could possibly cure ..
    "Study hard my young friend"[/B].
    ---------------------------------------
    Woody: It's not a laser! It's a... [sighs in frustration]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What would be good was if they increased the speed between CPU and GPU.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by gosh View Post
    What would be good is if "they" would create GPU's that use up the current level of bandwidth so that there was a need to increase the speed between the CPU and GPU...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by xVeinx View Post
    What would be good is if "they" would create GPU's that use up the current level of bandwidth so that there was a need to increase the speed between the CPU and GPU...
    I meant total speed (including latency). If that was fast you wouldn't need memory on the gpu

Xtreme Addict
    i7 did that, look at how much better CF & SLi scale on X58 systems. The next big leap may be an optical FSB.
    Intel i7 920 C0 @ 3.67GHz
    ASUS 6T Deluxe
    Powercolor 7970 @ 1050/1475
    12GB GSkill Ripjaws
    Antec 850W TruePower Quattro
    50" Full HD PDP
    Red Cosmos 1000

Xtreme Cruncher
    I meant total speed (including latency). If that was fast you wouldn't need memory on the gpu
    Latency isn't all that high currently, and yes, you would still need memory.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by xVeinx View Post
    Latency isn't all that high currently, and yes, you would still need memory.
    How high/low is it?

It is high, very much of GPU programming is done to minimize calls to GPU and send as much data as you can in each call to avoid latency.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    snip
    and poor old IPC will be left alone and no one will still care about him.
    Not sure about that, I mean just look at IPC difference from P4 to I7, sure 2009 and 2010 are all about increasing cores and clocks, but then it will be Sandy bridge time and I bet IPC will be center of attention once again.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Assuming you could massively increase the bandwidth for memory on the CPUs...

IGPs dont need memory. And its not a latency issue or speed issue of the connection. Its simply the total memory speed issue on the CPU.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by naokaji View Post
    Not sure about that, I mean just look at IPC difference from P4 to I7, sure 2009 and 2010 are all about increasing cores and clocks, but then it will be Sandy bridge time and I bet IPC will be center of attention once again.
    the biggest problem with IPC, is that advertising it to the average person is really tough to do. back in the first days of athlon, we had the "2500+" equivalents, people needed to hear what they were equal too, inorder to figure out why they should buy something thats 700mhz less than the old chip. for IPC to really take over, companies would probably have to advertise synthetic benchmarks, like "total cpu now does 1.2 giga-flozers, 20% more than than the old chip". but even that would still be scaling much quicker just from speed and core count. and in real life that number probably would mean nothing. as nice as having good IPC is, you really need to beat the opponent hard for it to mean anything, and translate it so average joe gets it.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    Assuming you could massively increase the bandwidth for memory on the CPUs...

IGPs dont need memory. And its not a latency issue or speed issue of the connection. Its simply the total memory speed issue on the CPU.
    For the type of work gpu is doing today (graphics) it needs massive bandwidth (and that is what they are good at). But if you take it one step further it needs to improve latency. Physics is one area that will get much help if latency was lower.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    For the type of work gpu is doing today (graphics) it needs massive bandwidth (and that is what they are good at). But if you take it one step further it needs to improve latency. Physics is one area that will get much help if latency was lower.
    Don't say the word physics. Talonman will be all over this thread.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123