Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jiggy's WC long log (TJ07)

Xtreme Member
    Updates

Was woken up at 7.30 this morning (on my day off after going to bed at 4.00 in the morning) by some person at FedEx saying they have a really large amounts of books and could i come and collect them. I hadn't ordered any books, but... well went off down, when i got there i just saw my Tj07 case and was pleasantly surprised. God knows how they thought it was books.. But o well, it weighed a ton

Here is the size of the box

In the box came,

-Tj07 case
    -Swiftech 360 rad
    -Some compression fittings and 90c fittings
    -LED's (Blue and UV)
    -3 x 120mm yate fans
    -UV cathodes
    -More sleaving and heatshrink
    -PSU modding kit (fail)
    -Few more bits and bobs i cant think of off the top of my head

In the Tj07 box came a 24pin ATX extender, so i decided to sleave that instead of doing my PSU (don't want to break my 100w corsair )

Didn't like the modding kit, was useless and it they broke, waste of $25. Getting two pins do the job 100% better

I couldn't find a proper guide around so i thought i would have a got at showing how to do this simple but nice mod.

Before

Steps

After

Here are some pron shots of my Tj07, i think my neighbors thought i was a bit weird by taking pics of my PC case by the pool but o well

(A bit to much adding contrast on that one soz)

Once i finished my photo shoot, i started to take it to pieces and mark where i need to cut holes tomorrow.

For the cables to run behind the MOBO tray

So i can fit my cables from the PSU to the rest of the PC out of site

I ordered 50cm SATA cables not 75cm (another blond moment) so i decided would be easier to cut a hole there and root them directly to my HDD, SSD and DVD drives (will explain my storage drives are going later and the layout)

A naked Tj07

All the parts ready for cutting and spraying

A pic of erm... fans guards lol

My Computer

Parts:
    CPU: Q9450 @ 3.6Ghz(OC'd)1800Mhz FSB
    Mobo: EVGA 780i
    GPU: HD 5870 (I have two but only got one in at the moment)
    PSU: 1000w Corsair
    Ram: 4GB Corsair dominator DDR2 1066Mhz
    Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2
    Monitor: Samsumg 226BW 22" and secondary 17" LCD
    Speakers: logitech Z5400
    Case: Tj07 fully sleeved wires

Water cooling:
    Loop 1: Mobo NB & Mofset with Zalman resorator
    Loop 2: CPU (Ek supreme) with MCP 355 XSPC acrylic top 360 & 240 mm rad

A bit about me

My Worklog

Xtreme Member
    I want to hide that drive bay and get rid of the large holes in the bottom of by Tj07, so i have designed these, going to take it down to the metal works shop tomorrow see what they can do for me

Behind the cut out will be some 92mm blue LED fans, the reason i had to do this is this is where my HDD and SSD will go and it needs some ventilation (even though there will be a 120mm inside there circulating air)

Grill size (will do this if it is possible to get it machined but not sure if i have that sort of facilities in Cyprus )

My Computer

Parts:

Water cooling:

A bit about me

My Worklog

Xtreme Guru
    looking good jiggy
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Member
    Looking nice man. I like your drive bay cover idea. Also, thanks for providing the sketchUp drawings with dimensions.
    Agenda: I have 0 projects prioritized for the year, 0 in progress this month, 0 this week, and 0 as of this moment.

Current primary function: traveling.

(o.O)
    great pictures, and good wire sleeving guide!
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield @ 3.2GHz | Asus P5Q Deluxe mobo | 2x OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) | Sapphire 4870x2 | Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 10k RPM | Intel 120GB SSD | Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB 7200 RPM | Hitachi 2TB 7200 RPM | PCP&C 750W Power Supply |Cooler Master HAF932 | Windows 7 64-bit | Dell ULTRASHARP 2408WFP 24-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor

Join Us in the XS World Community Grid Forum & Help Fight Cancer and Other Diseases

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Great photos jiggy, looks like a good start, look forward to seeing more progress

Comments about sleeving.
    AC ryan or whoever actually make a decent ATX pin remover that's flexible. The process is still a PITA but at least it won't break on ya within 2 pins.

Step 3 is brilliant, so far I've been cutting 1 piece to length and using that as a template for the rest. Your idea is way better!

Step 4 + 5, you can get better results using slightly smaller-diameter sleeve (I use 1/8" for 16 to 22 awg wire) and heatshrink (also 1/8", glue lined). Also, it's nicer to heatshrink the heatshrink (ok that sounds stupid) BEFORE clicking in the pin. I line up the end of the heatshrink to the end of the pin, shrink it there, then tuck it into the connector. It's perfect, doesn't expose any wire, and no bunching. Your results may vary depending on what diameter sleeve/heatshrink you're using (e.g. Shazza, I think she leaves a small gap between the pin and the heatshrink).

Step 6, I also use a lighter. The trick is to use a large flame (lighter on max setting) and flick it back and forth quickly width-wise for about 30 seconds. Rotate the wire if you see any areas still looking a bit "loose." Shrinks nice and tight without melting the sleeve. Hairdryers usually are not hot enough to fully shrink the heatshrink.

(I hate using heatshrink, shrinking, heating as interchangeable nouns and verbs. There must be better words out there...)

Good luck!
    Last edited by Kibbler; 07-07-2009 at 07:17 PM.

Xtreme Member
    looking good jiggy
    Cheers

Looking nice man. I like your drive bay cover idea. Also, thanks for providing the sketchUp drawings with dimensions.
    No problem, good to share ideas

great pictures, and good wire sleeving guide!
    Thanks, i am to please

Step 4 + 5, you can get better results using slightly smaller-diameter sleeve (I use 1/8" for 16 to 22 awg wire) and heatshrink (also 1/8", glue lined). Also, it's nicer to heatshrink the heatshrink (ok that sounds stupid) BEFORE clicking in the pin. I line up the end of the heatshrink to the end of the pin, shrink it there, then tuck it into the connector. It's perfect, doesn't expose any wire, and no bunching. Your results may vary depending on what diameter sleeve/heatshrink you're using (e.g. Shazza, I think she leaves a small gap between the pin and the heatshrink).
    In all honesty i ordered the wrong size heatshrink again, i picked one of every size on the site (LOL!) and non of them were perfect so just had to make do and nice to know about the glued one

Ok today has been a busy day (even though it doesn't look like much). I got up early and printed off my sketch up drawings and went off in search (with my dad driving, 3 months until i can take my test ) for someone who would be able to cut my custom driver bay cover, after going to about 4 -5 metal shops and non of them having any aluminum in stock and them looking a bit confused when they asked what will this be used for i finally found a place that sold sheets of aluminum, but... at 31 euro for a 2m x 1m sheet and me only needing 60cm x 30cm i thought it was a bit of a waste. I saw next door was a sign making company (you know the big billboard) to see if they cud cut aluminum if i was to buy the mother of all sheets of aluminum. There answer.... "No" only PVC. So as we left i saw in the scrap metal pile a 70cm x 40cm piece of aluminum So i went into the shop and asked kindly if i could have it and they gave it me for free, i walked out through the workshop and saw a machine that bent metal so i asked the bloke working the press if he could bend my sheet at 90 degrees and he did, so.. All in all got it for free, not bad i think. Went to the DIY store and picked up a dremmel (i broke it lol) some spray paint going to pick two more cans of black up tomorrow and some sand paper

Once i got home i covered my shiny aluminum drive bay cover in masking tape and started to mark out where i want the grills to go.. i changed from the original design slightly, i think it looked better?

Close up

I had a look see what it would look like in the case, not to bad i think, once its all done.

Then went down to the garage, and started cutting holes in my MOBO tray, and other places, i found the dremmel wasn't to useful, i broke all the bits for it and then in turn burnt out the dremmel :p.. so i went back to using the jigsaw (as the (as the 6" grinder was out of action and a 9" one was a bit to much :P)

Primed and holed...

Then came the spraying black, i am doing it very carefully as not to have any drips, but it uses so much paint for such a small area =o well the rest of the parts had there 1st coat but i finished the MOBO tray just so i could show you lot

Then i turned to the rowter (spelling?) and with some help cut out the grills,

Cut and sanded

Primed

Finished with fans, i had thought of putting in blue LED fans but the one i have are only 80mm not 92mm so i will see if i can find any at a PC store tomorrow

but when having a shower a had a brain wave (as you do )

i thought of having the grill but with a BLUE piece of lit acrylic behind it, what you think (i only had red at hand at the time but you get the picture..)

Hope you are all enjoying so far, i sure am
    Last edited by jiggyghallam; 07-08-2009 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Comments :D
    My Computer

Parts:

Water cooling:

A bit about me

My Worklog

Xtreme Member
    Looking good...

I like how the drive bay cover turned out with the plexi and lighting

Xtreme Member
    Looking REAL good mate

And before i see it with blue acrylic, i'll say red is nicer :P

Xtreme Guru
    That cover is sweet. You might want to wet sand it though and clear it. It will look really good then

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Member
    Looking good...

I like how the drive bay cover turned out with the plexi and lighting
    cheers, going to get the best of both worlds now, Blue LED fans

Looking REAL good mate

And before i see it with blue acrylic, i'll say red is nicer :P
    Thanks, i wanted to get a red and black PC, but.. decided against it.. for now

That cover is sweet. You might want to wet sand it though and clear it. It will look really good then
    its all sanded now, just needs another coat of paint, to finish it off

ok acrylic is out the window lol, back to the fan idea how does this look? Looks good in the case i think

My Computer

Parts:

Water cooling:

A bit about me

My Worklog

Xtreme Guru
    i like the Jiggy in there. You could always just use black fans and led the name. I think that would look really cool

Xtreme Member
    You could always just use black fans and led the name. I think that would look really cool
    I would love to be able to do that, but in Cyprus we just don't have the CNC machines around local and i doubt they would but it for me anyway =/

I think the blue LED fans and then have "Jiggy" in white and out of site above it but a UV cathode so it shines

What you think?
    My Computer

Parts:

Water cooling:

A bit about me

My Worklog

Xtreme Guru
    I was think about that too. That other idea came to me, but seeing you don't have what you need to do it. I would go with the blue fans and white jiggy. It will still look cool

Xtreme Member
    Ok another busy day

Once i got all the spray paint i got back to work and put the benches in a different place today as yesterday sawdust got over my freshly painted parts

I cut out the bottom piece today, was all happy with it until i realized were i cut the holes for the tubes to go is were the rad will be so back aluminum hunting again for me

so i put all the case together braided some more wires and got a fan controller

and my fave picture of the day

will probably have more pictures tomorrow as i took these as the sun was going down
    My Computer

Parts:

Water cooling:

A bit about me

My Worklog

Xtreme Member
    Due to the base not working successfully, as the whole i made for the WC tubes to run through were blocked by the rad i had to redo the design, so i need more aluminum so the work will have to start again on Monday when i can get my hands on some more

heres what it should look like and with the tubes in aswell... think its ok?

My Computer

Parts:

Water cooling:

A bit about me

My Worklog

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggyghallam View Post
    Due to the base not working successfully, as the whole i made for the WC tubes to run through were blocked by the rad i had to redo the design, so i need more aluminum so the work will have to start again on Monday when i can get my hands on some more

heres what it should look like and with the tubes in aswell... think its ok?
    Looking good... I would layout the hardware first to see where you need to make the holes on the divider.

That what you know exactly where the holes should be in relation to your waterblocks/motherboard.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by jpm804 View Post
    Looking good... I would layout the hardware first to see where you need to make the holes on the divider.

That what you know exactly where the holes should be in relation to your waterblocks/motherboard.
    +1, that way no more

Xtreme Member
    Ok i cant straight connect the tube to the GPU due to rad being in the way so it will have to be bent like this and the other one (to the right) will have to be bent to the right to go onto the 250 tube res. (i didn't do that as my sketch up tools are so dam limited :p)

My Computer

Parts:

Water cooling:

A bit about me

My Worklog

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Amazing work Jiggy!

Really impressive design and execution of the front drivebay mod, outstanding!

I too think you should perhaps mock-up your loops and then determine hole locations for hoses through the midplate.

Looking forward to your next update!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggyghallam View Post
    Nice stuff. I've always liked the idea of paneling up all that stuff in the drive bays.

sidenote: nice landscaping From the limited viewpoint, I bet the rest of the yard is fun to live in.

Xtreme Member
    Amazing work Jiggy!

Really impressive design and execution of the front drivebay mod, outstanding!

I too think you should perhaps mock-up your loops and then determine hole locations for hoses through the midplate.

Looking forward to your next update!

Wow thanks charles_h i have seen all of your amazing build and you inspired me

i have done the mock up as you say and it should all be ok, i just need to think how i will route the tubing to look nice it might have to be

Pump > 360 rad > 240 rad > GPU > CPU > res
    Pump > rad > mofset > NB > res (zalman reserator 1 v2 loop)

Nice stuff. I've always liked the idea of paneling up all that stuff in the drive bays.

sidenote: nice landscaping From the limited viewpoint, I bet the rest of the yard is fun to live in.

Thank you

heh its ok, to be honest because its so hot here (i live in Cyprus) palm trees and large grasses grown naturally
    My Computer

Parts:

Water cooling:

A bit about me

My Worklog

Xtreme Member
    Just had an idea for a HDD holder, make it on sketch up, if i get some more aluminum today i might have a shot at trying to make it

what you think?

Edit: Ok re-worked it a bit and i think this will look alot better

Sized inc.

Last edited by jiggyghallam; 07-12-2009 at 07:10 PM.
    My Computer

Parts:

Water cooling:

A bit about me

My Worklog

looking good mate,got come see it in person soon XD
    MAIN RIG:
    Core i5 750 @ 4.0ghz
    Gigabyte-ud3r P55
    4GB OCZ obsidian DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    Asus GTX 285
    Corsair H-50 cooler
    4x1tb hdds 2x160 hdds

40" samsung 1080p+19 viewsonic monitors
    Pioneer A-209R amp +Microlab 100wat bookshelf pure cone speakers

Xtreme Member
    Another mini update, today has been a busy day but not much to show for it

Started off by cutting a jig out of MDF for the router to run round, i got bored waiting for paint to dry so took a picture of the blade

once cut they needed sanding

smooth HDD holder

Painting

Primed HDD holder

And here are the pics of it completed, not to bad i don't think, they are not going to be seen, but was fun making them

The compulsory close up

I re-made the mid plate and painted it black

Then i went on to replace the front of my DVD drive, after 20 mins of trying to think of ways i can get it to eject with having a full cover on (was thinking of rewiring to switch and putting it on the top ) my dad walked past and in 30 seconds said i should extend the little switch and because i will be using spongy double sided sticky tape, make it in to a simple push switch. And voila it worked, very happy with it, cant wait to see it installed.

Drive + faceplate

Drive with faceplate on (bad pic)

The extra-super-complex push mechanism

Ok so everything is prepared, tomorrow is the big day, taking my old PC apart, cleaning everything, and putting it in the new case, should be done within two days as i still need to do sleeving tubing and other bits. So ye, lots of pics tomorrow and the house house will probably look like a bomb has hit as PC parts will be everywhere
    My Computer

Parts:

Water cooling:

A bit about me

My Worklog

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast