Thread: Pictures and ideas

Xtreme Addict

Thumbs up Pictures and ideas

I really like modified, transformed, rehashed, sprawling, low budget phase-change builds. In my view, building with all new components is somewhat clinical. You know it will work because all the numbers and specs are given. However building and fabricating parts adds innovation and an interesting and personalised angle into a build. An angle I appreciate.

For everybodies benfit please post pics and/or descriptions of fabricated parts, novel uses of materials, replacement materials, adaptors/fittings, fans setups, ghetto builds etc
    i.e. HX's, SLHX, tank adaptors, fan shrouds, accumlators, oil seperators, thread convertors, water cooled condensors, DIY vacuum pumps, charging hose setups etc etc

I want people to view this thread and be inspired and motivated in the knowledge that a basic phase-change is rig is very simple, that it need not be expensive and it is within reach.

Xtreme Addict
    A ghetto copper endcap and old copper shim (from early peltier overclocking days)

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SexyMF View Post
    I really like modified, transformed, rehashed, sprawling, low budget phase-change builds. In my view, building with all new components is somewhat clinical. You know it will work because all the numbers and specs are given. However building and fabricating parts adds innovation and an interesting and personalised angle into a build. An angle I appreciate.

For everybodies benfit please post pics and/or descriptions of fabricated parts, novel uses of materials, replacement materials, adaptors/fittings, fans setups, ghetto builds etc
    i.e. HX's, SLHX, tank adaptors, fan shrouds, accumlators, oil seperators, thread convertors, water cooled condensors, DIY vacuum pumps, charging hose setups etc etc

I want people to view this thread and be inspired and motivated in the knowledge that a basic phase-change is rig is very simple, that it need not be expensive and it is within reach.
    This entire sub-section of Xs is dedicated to all of which you just described There must be literally hundreds of build threads all unique in different way.

C-BuZz

Xtreme Addict
    LOL this is awesome ok if you have a metal scrap yard like we do here they have these older metal cabinets which have these cheap sheet metal drawers these draws can be cut up and used for shrouds or sides for custom condenser and the backing for a base plate.
    Old computer cases also some good metal there for shrouds.

Old air conditioners also have a metal base sometimes big enough for cascade, Rotary Compressors, Condenser.

Surplus store has all your switches power buttons and power cords

Ok see this box fan below yeah thats right can you say 10 bucks from Walmart.
    Perfect for condenser.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ozzfest05; 06-20-2009 at 06:02 PM.
    Case: Corsair 400R
    PSU: Corsair HX1000W
    mobo: Maximus IV Gene
    CPU: 2500K @ 4.2ghz 1.19 volts
    RAM: Gskill Ripjaws 1866mhz 2 x 4 gigs
    OS Drive: Kingston Hyper X ssd 120 gig
    Graphics: XFX HD5850
    Cooling: Corsair H100

Xtreme Mentor
    My gheto accumulators are 1 inch coipper pipe with endcaps and a coiled copper tube in the middle...

Heres a few examples:

ect....
    Last edited by sdumper; 06-20-2009 at 06:59 PM.
    Never empower an idiot with a response....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

Seller/Buyer Reputation:
    Heatware: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=50905
    Ebay: {Family Account} Kasyg3 http://myworld.ebay.com/kasyg3/
    Ebay: {My personal Account} Sdumper http://myworld.ebay.com/sdumper/

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Simple oil separator: 1" hard drawn copper pipe about 8-12 inches in length. 2 end caps. Drill into one end-cap two 1/4" holes and drill a 1/4" hole in the base of the other. Gas inlet and gaseous discharge go out of the top and oil outlet out of the bottom. Works great as a phase separator also, same principle. Cheap and effective enough for our purposes

Xtreme Addict
    Keep them coming, I know you people have a lot more tips'n'tricks

-150c Club Member
    After brazing an evaporator and its cooled, take a 4oz tube of arctic ceramique and put on some disposable gloves. Push the ACS onto your fingers and smother the 6" of suction from the evap with it. Especially with these flex's with ridges, fill the ridges. Then wrap the captube tight up the first 6". Or even just the first 3, then reapply onto the first set of captube and wrap it another go.
    The gains are good.
    To make it clean, after wrap it tight a few layers of electrical tape.

Here's another. Always leave a ~200cm of captube outside of insulation coiled nicely, makes chopping it down much easier.

HX's are easy if you don't go plate hx, 3/16 in 3/8 works great, super easy to bend. 1/4 in 1/2 works well too, but still a pain to bend.

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtreme Addict
    long time ago I made 8 condensers from one
    HOMEMADE CONDENSERS

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    HX's are easy if you don't go plate hx, 3/16 in 3/8 works great, super easy to bend. 1/4 in 1/2 works well too, but still a pain to bend.
    NoL where can I find 3/16" copper?
    I see nothing on ebay. None in Home Depot/Lowes. And refrigeration places wont sell to me
    Pentium D805 @ 3.4Ghz on GA-945P-S3
    2Gb OCZ Gold 800 with XP Professional SP3
    Ati X1800XT
    550W Antec TruPower in Antec Sonata II
    Core 2 Quad Q9550 on GA-EP45-UD3P
    4Gb Corsair Dominator 1066 with Vista Ultimate SP1
    Asus 4850 TOP
    750W PC Power & Cooling in ????

There is not enough electrical oulets in my room.
    Best TF2 Quote:
    "tomtom92 : wtf the enemy has a base IN our base"

-150c Club Member
    I order from ebay normally.

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for sharing this man...
    Music is my LIFE!!!

Xtreme Addict
    Come on people. Through in pics of your propane adaptors, your oil seperators, your former MAPP bottle expansion tanks......