Thread: Disappointed with condition of DD blocks

Xtreme Member

Unhappy Disappointed with condition of DD blocks

(Cross-posted at ABXZone...)

After hearing so many good comments about DD blocks, I was surprised (in a bad way) by the condition of both the Maze4 GPU and 875P Z-chip blocks that I ordered recently.

The DD site states "Machined Lapped to 600 grit Final Lap to 1200 grit," but it's apparent from visual inspection that neither block was ever lapped with 1200-grit abrasive. (Perhaps they substituted with 12 passes of 100-grit? ) Both blocks have numerous scratches that can be felt with a fingernail, and neither is suitable for mounting without substantial additional lapping. In contrast, the block I ordered from D-Tek arrived in perfect condition, and with a much better finish than I anticipated.

Definitely not what I expected from Danger Den, and I probably will not order from them again.

Anyone else have similar experience, or am I just really lucky?

Xtreme Addict
    My Maze 3-1 was in excellent condition, I would have expected your experiences with D-tek and DD to be opposite of what you got.

I am Xtreme
    I was pissed when I got my maze 4. It seemed cheap and flimsey to begin with and the base was far from prefect. I ordered my chiller blocks from dtek and I was quite happy with them. Other than leaking from my CPU AND NB block barbs because they werent tight enough they were great. Clean lapped base (not anymore ) and a nice stury professional looking block. I'd deffenitly buy from them over DD again.
    Phenom II 940 BE / ASUS M4A79 / HD5770 Crossfire
    3770mhz CPU 2600mhz NB | DDR1040 5-5-5-15 | 900/1250

Xtreme Member
    So I'd heard, which was part of the surprise. Of course, I can lap the blocks myself, but I'm really cheesed at paying for stuff and not getting what was promised. DD stuff is not cheap, either...

Originally posted by sandman
    My Maze 3-1 was in excellent condition, I would have expected your experiences with D-tek and DD to be opposite of what you got.

Xtreme Member
    If I had an AMD board, I probably would've bought the same blocks as you, but I think the DD mounting works a bit better on the 875/865 boards than does the D-Tek (two-point) mounting. The D-Tek guys told me that their 875 mount is not ready yet. As for the DD GPU block, I just ordered that when I ordered the NB block.

BTW, I sent DD a pre-order question on 18 DEC and still have not received a reply. OTOH, D-Tek answered a bunch of questions promptly. Definitely better service, IMO.

Originally posted by afireinside
    I was pissed when I got my maze 4. It seemed cheap and flimsey to begin with and the base was far from prefect. I ordered my chiller blocks from dtek and I was quite happy with them. Other than leaking from my CPU AND NB block barbs because they werent tight enough they were great. Clean lapped base (not anymore ) and a nice stury professional looking block. I'd deffenitly buy from them over DD again.

Xtreme Member
    Mine looked like a Scotchbrite pad was taken to it. I lapped it on my own, and now it looks nice and shiny. Chances are good, though, that the lapping on it is good enough.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Originally posted by sandman
    why would you say this. what does dtek do wrong? I am just curious, as I have always found Danny and DTek to be class acts. Both my tc-4 and Spiral were some of the best blocks I have owned, second only to my Cascade. Plus their customer service is top rate. I try to order from them whenever I can. Basically it's DTek or Cooltechnica.
    | MSI K8N Diamond Plus | WaterCooled A64X2 4200+ | 2x1024 PC4000 EB Plat | 2x BFG 7800GT | Maxtor DMax 10 SATA 250gb 16mb cache & 200gb 8 mb cache| OCZ 700watt GamerXtreme PSU | Plextor 716SA DL DVDRW

HeatWare

Xtreme Mentor
    Originally posted by LikwidKool
    why would you say this. what does dtek do wrong?
    Dtek was getting some bad press regarding LRWW blocks, being poorly finished, and some uneven, or warped. I believe it was some time in December, they even posted in the little news area on there site that they had refined the lapping process on the WW. They seem to have done just that, as current blocks are pretty decent again.

As for DD, I agree, I cannot see how they could possibly be lapped @ 600 grit, let alone 1200. My Maze4GPU's were pretty much in same condition as Mike Donatello's. I will also comment that the interior Anodization process on my Maze4's is poorly done with spots of bare aluminum showing. I do still like the blocks though.

Possibly if they get enough complaints they'll be forced to "REFINE" there lapping process as well.

Here is a picture taken from FrozenCPU's site, this is pretty representative to what you can expect from DD for a finish, not apparent on the photos, but those visible scratches can be quite deep.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ex-blc-65_2.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	7211  

Xtreme Member
    Karnivore, that's what mine looks like! Fugly! The closest that got to 1200 grit was in someone's head.

I didn't even think about problems with anodization. Now you have me wondering whether I should disassemble and check it out?!?

BTW, Danny was fantastic at answering my noob questions.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Originally posted by Karnivore
    Dtek was getting some bad press regarding LRWW blocks, being poorly finished, and some uneven, or warped. I believe it was some time in December, they even posted in the little news area on there site that they had refined the lapping process on the WW. They seem to have done just that, as current blocks are pretty decent again.
    Your right. I forgot about that. It must be why Sandman said about their lapping. Thing is companies will have problems. It's whether or not they choose to listen to us and fix it. DTek is a company I have faith in, that they will always make sure the customer is satisfied.
    | MSI K8N Diamond Plus | WaterCooled A64X2 4200+ | 2x1024 PC4000 EB Plat | 2x BFG 7800GT | Maxtor DMax 10 SATA 250gb 16mb cache & 200gb 8 mb cache| OCZ 700watt GamerXtreme PSU | Plextor 716SA DL DVDRW

HeatWare

Xtreme Mentor
    Originally posted by Mike Donatello
    Karnivore, that's what mine looks like! Fugly! The closest that got to 1200 grit was in someone's head.

I didn't even think about problems with anodization. Now you have me wondering whether I should disassemble and check it out?!?

BTW, Danny was fantastic at answering my noob questions.

My Blocks have one bare spot each, I guess its not a good thing to mix the metals but I'm not going to wait a week or more for an exchange, plus pay shipping on them, I'll just run them the way they are. Guess I'll find out just how long it takes for the detrimental effects to show.

Likwidkool I do agree with you, but misreprenstation sucks, these guys obviously see quite clearly the finish on these blocks. To advertise as lapped @600 then Final @1200 grit is simply not true. I guess they just rely on customers either being noobs, and not caring, or vets that will just lap it themselves. Until it effects business it seems they don't care.

And your right thats what seperates caring about customers, and caring about dollars.

Xtreme Member
    Well, no bare spots on my Maze 4 GPU that I could see; maybe one the size of a pin:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:, but I'm not going to die over that. And, as far as returning the block for that tiny spot, I don't think I'll bother. One of the barbs was only finger tight. I'm sure most people would check that, but it still gets me mad.

I know I'm picky but if I did my job like that I wouldn't have one...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Originally posted by Karnivore

Likwidkool I do agree with you, but misreprenstation sucks, these guys obviously see quite clearly the finish on these blocks. To advertise as lapped @600 then Final @1200 grit is simply not true. I guess they just rely on customers either being noobs, and not caring, or vets that will just lap it themselves. Until it effects business it seems they don't care.

And your right thats what seperates caring about customers, and caring about dollars.
    I do agree about the misrepresentaion bit. I had thought the same thing when I had my Maze3 and Z block. There was no way they were lapped to 1200 grit. I guess like you said they rely on people's ignorance.

HeatWare

Xtreme Enthusiast
    hmm, i certainly agree that DD needs to improve lapping skills, but my DD maze 4-1 gets great temps and is nothing but the highest quality. Just pick up some of ur own sandpaper and smooth it down. You wont be so dissappointed with the performance.
    20026 01 <-- 9500 NP (on air) CPU TEC Cooled.

Originally posted by FUGGER
    Just the live video sex chat girls come to mind, not that I know anything about that
    With detail settings maxed, full PS and VS support, and highest resolution available, my life runs at 60FPS solid.

Xtreme Mentor
    Originally posted by Slickthellama
    hmm, i certainly agree that DD needs to improve lapping skills, but my DD maze 4-1 gets great temps and is nothing but the highest quality. Just pick up some of ur own sandpaper and smooth it down. You wont be so dissappointed with the performance.

The above is the exact reason DD gets away with the false claim of 1200 grit finish. I certainly don't disagree with you, but really, why claim 1200 grit finish, and provide what they do? Simple, its a selling point, and quite honestly its kind of annoying when you have to spend an hour or two, maybe more to correct the surface when its an advertised selling point.

Xtreme Addict
    I just ordered an A64 top for my Maze 3-1, and I forgot to check what fittings I want installed, so i E-mailed them right away because I noticed it. They got back to me within a day, and said they could install the barbs no problem.

IRC Operative
    recieved mine yesterday, its in piss poor condition, i mean VERY bad, will take pics before and after lapping

CPU:
    Intel i5 750 @ 4200mhz 200x21 1.344v
    Cooling:
    Corsair H50
    Mobo:
    Gigabyte P55-US3L
    Memory:
    4GB Corsair XMS3 9-9-9-24
    GFX:
    ASUS HD5850 850/1200 1GB

XIP - can sit on his hair
    Have just mailed DD regarding this to see what they say or can do about it...

¿
    My DD M4 was not only unfinished, but had a warped base that took about 1hour to correct.

Lamers

Xtreme Member
    I wanted to let everyone know that Teri at Danger Den saw the negative comments that I posted on ResellerRatings.com and sent me an apology by email. She offered to exchange both blocks and cover shipping charges in both directions (i.e., so I would not have to pay for any additional shipping). I'm happy to report that I took her up on the offer and that the replacement blocks look much better.

Granted, I would've preferred perfect blocks in the first place, but it's hard to argue with a company that's so eager to correct its mistakes. Kudos to Teri and DD for making me a happy customer!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Dangerden has the best service i know. When u ask nicely, allmost everything it possible.

Probably a mistake, because all the block i have from dangerden (seen 30 or so ) are perfectly flat without any scratches. Because the do not cover the blocks with varnish (like most copper coolers!!) the underside isn't shiny copper. But it IS perfectly flat. When put on a glas plate, it sticks to it when pulling off. With just 1 drop of water, u can pick up a LARGE glas plate.
    Pifast:
    Socket 754 3700+ Clawhammer action:
    39.64sec 11*285 2.5-3-3-7
    Now Pifast @ 3306MHZ !!! 37.72sec World record!
    Now SuperPi 1M @ 3306mhz 26.922sec World record!

Ministry of Overclocking Contests

Xtreme Gamer
    i got my DD z-chip, and seemed rough, but i screwed up even more on the bottom (and chipped my P4P800 chipset ....but still works), cuz it doesnt mount properly on it. (there is a resistor in the way). its easily scrathed too.
    Intel i7 930 @ 4.2Ghz 24/7
    Asus Rampage 3 Extreme
    Asus Radeon HD 6990
    Corsair Dominator GT 6GB
    Corsair AX1200, 600T
    Intel X25-M 160GB
    Dell U3011 30" Monitor

Xtreme Mentor
    Originally posted by Epsilon
    Probably a mistake, because all the block i have from dangerden (seen 30 or so ) are perfectly flat without any scratches.

Recently had a chance to visit a friend who has an online shop, while visiting our conversation wandered to computers (no idea why ) . Well I got to peruse some new goodies he just got in, picked up a few waterblocks, in the process I was able to sort through 70 RBX for the best, unfortunately they were all the same rough finish described throughout this thread, if a mistake, it is on a large scale. Sorry to say I doubt very much 100 blocks could slip through QC in the same condition.