Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Silverstone TJ07, X58 Classified, Dominator GT, i7 920 D0 (3849B041)

Xtreme Member

Silverstone TJ07, X58 Classified, Dominator GT, i7 920 D0 (3849B041)

Hello! I've owned AMD since my Intel 450MHz of many years back, but I guess it was time to return to them with the new 920 i7. I have never kept a worklog before, so I'll do my best to take lots of pics and stuff. I hope you enjoy~

The last of my parts just arrived, and I have already started some work on my case. I aim to have a lot of this project done over this weekend, but I can't really complete it as both my waterblocks will not arrive until Monday, and I ordered the wrong Compression Fittings so I will have to send them back and get the right ones!

Silverstone TJ07:

X58 Classified:

Dominator GT:

Parts List:

And here is a bit of the prep-work I have done so far to get things ready, and a layout test of sorts. The camera for these pics was my cellphone, I have a better camera on the way so I can take some better quality pictures:

Suggestions are always welcome!
    Last edited by Kuntz; 02-04-2012 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Updated all image links

subbed, yo, but you should definitely get a new camera dude! those pics are so blured, that i can barely see anything o.o, but anyways nice set
    Last edited by kvadzio; 06-19-2009 at 04:14 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Those are some nice components

subscribed

Xtreme Guru
    What GPU are you using? Are you WC that too?

You say you have no tools? You must have something to make those notches for the cable management
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime359 View Post
    What GPU are you using? Are you WC that too?

You say you have no tools? You must have something to make those notches for the cable management
    Right now an air cooled 3870 Toxic will be acting as a GPU until ATI's 5870's come out in a month or two, and then I will buy those along with waterblocks for each.

I have a screw driver and a 250-piece set Mastercraft Dremel Knockoff I bought for 75% off at Canadian Tire ($34). The Dremel was used for the notching, and that is about all I can use it for haha. Maybe I should put it on Craigslist now.

And I have a better camera, so no more blurry pics from me. I just need to buy/find a mini-USB cable so I can charge it and connect it to my computer.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Welcome to XS Kuntz, looks like you are in the right place
    Wish you good luck with your build and keep us updated
    System #1:
    i7 975 for bench, W3540 @ 4,4 Ghz HT On, Asus P6X58 Premium, 3x2048 Corsair Dominator 2000CL7, Sapphire 5970 @ stock, Corsair HX1000, 1xOCZ Vertex2 120GB, 3x1TB WD Green
    Cooled by:
    Loop 1: Watercool HK rev 3.0, Laing Ultra 18W /w XSPC Res Top, Thermochill PA120.3 /w Phobya Fans @ 5V Pull
    Loop 2: EK 5970 Nickle, Laing Ultra 18W /w XSPC Res Top, Thermochill PA120.3 /w Phobya Fans @ 5V Pull
    Loop 3: EK Asus NB/SB, Mips Asus Mosfet 1 + 2, Laing Ultra 18W /w XSPC Res Top, Thermochill PA120.2 /w Phobya Fans @ 5V Pull

4,6Ghz (21x220) 1,42Vcore with Single Stage (HT enabled)
    http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/1251/83962063.jpg

AMD @ testing
    X4 955, Asus Crosshair III, same Rams as on Intel Setup, Sapphire 4870X2 @ Stock, PC Power&Cooling 910W

Banned
    I like the way you enhanced the pictures with text. Very nice.

Xtreme Member
    Alright, so my camera doesn't work, so I'll be hunting down a replacement on Sunday. For now, more cellphone! My uncle is a photographer, so we're guaranteed at least some nice finished-product pictures.

I wasn't able to get over to my cousins house to build the wood floor, so it was another day of not being able to do much.

I mostly got the mobo tray ready, and the mobo itself as well:

Last edited by Kuntz; 02-04-2012 at 12:37 PM.

Xtreme Guru
    McDonald's Napkins

Way to use what you have there Kuntz

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

To cover edges use a seal or something like that. Using tape and glue is a little bit crazy.
    This will bi interesting rig.
    C2Q DFI ATI5870
    Liquid Cooling by RN, EK, Bits and others
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    haha napkins and spit to clean
    My Computer

Parts:
    CPU: Q9450 @ 3.6Ghz(OC'd)1800Mhz FSB
    Mobo: EVGA 780i
    GPU: HD 5870 (I have two but only got one in at the moment)
    PSU: 1000w Corsair
    Ram: 4GB Corsair dominator DDR2 1066Mhz
    Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2
    Monitor: Samsumg 226BW 22" and secondary 17" LCD
    Speakers: logitech Z5400
    Case: Tj07 fully sleeved wires

Water cooling:
    Loop 1: Mobo NB & Mofset with Zalman resorator
    Loop 2: CPU (Ek supreme) with MCP 355 XSPC acrylic top 360 & 240 mm rad

A bit about me

My Worklog

Xtreme Member
    Alright, so I still haven't finished my basement due to lack of tools + lumber, but I will have this issue solved soon. The compression fittings have been ordered and should be here Wednesday.

Tonight I tested my system components out and ran MemTest86+ on all 6GB's of RAM. Everything passed so that is good enough for me to strip components off the motherboard and install all the waterblocks. I ran into a few issues, but figured them out eventually. The chipset sink from Koolance was designed for a 759 (special) revision motherboard, which has a few minor differences than the 760 motherboard a normal consumer gets. All in all it went pretty smooth, and was a lot of fun for how nerdy it is.

Edit-Note: I forgot to mention how absolutely amazed I am at Contact Lens Solution's ability to remove TIM. I did some experimenting with it tonight on the stock Intel cooler, and the stuff literally annihilates TIM. So if you wear Contacts and have some of this kicking around, give it a shot!

Last edited by Kuntz; 02-04-2012 at 12:38 PM.

Xtreme Guru
    Looking good so far.

I think it was the McDonald napkins that really did it for removing the TIM.

I just ordered some of the Arctic Silver TIM cleaner and that stuff is amazing.

I hope you don't have a roommate in that dorm room. It looks like you barely have room to walk in there

Xtreme Addict
    Looks like you have the pieces neccesary for a nice machine, good choice on the ram too! I have the same kit and it does up to about 2100 at cas 8 on 1.6v in my UD5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    I don't care, I'm running out of popcorn waiting for the results..

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hellcamino View Post
    Looks like you have the pieces neccesary for a nice machine, good choice on the ram too! I have the same kit and it does up to about 2100 at cas 8 on 1.6v in my UD5.
    I literally bought it because the colors match the motherboard hahaha. I was going to get some 1600 stuff, but then I also realized I'll probably be sporting a 230~ bclk if I am lucky, so faster RAM would benefit me greatly. But the main reason was that color combo, good job Corsair, you know your paints!
    Last edited by Kuntz; 06-23-2009 at 12:21 PM. Reason: typo!

Xtreme Member
    Alright, good news! My fittings came today and are the correct ones. I'm also going to my cousins tomorrow (Thursday) to build the basement of the case and get the rad + pump + hdd-cage screwed down. So I should have it all up and running tomorrow night! I wont have high quality pictures for you guys that soon though, as I will need to do some detailing work on it before getting my uncle to stop by and photograph it all.

Today I finished up the last of the odd-jobs and little things. A lot of the parts in the basement, like the Noctua fans and silver metal parts, showed through the lower black screen, and I didn't like the look of that at all. So I used some cheap paint on them in the visible parts, and now you can't see anything at all.

I also came up with a nice plan for my 5.25" bay bars. I am going to cut up the felt Corsair PSU bag into a rectangle and place it across the opening on the inside. I was originally going to paint these black, but then I thought hanging a black curtain of sorts across it would better hide that area of my case. And then I saw this bag and I came up with this new plan. I think it's a creative use of the felt bag, you can never have too much Corsair logo, and hopefully it looks good too!

Last edited by Kuntz; 02-04-2012 at 12:39 PM.

Xtreme Guru
    Yea, I wish that fan makers would stop doing these odd ugly colors. It is getting harder to find a good solid black fan anymore

Good job on the paint btw. You should watch S_D's build log, it seems he has figured out how to paint fan blades

This is an awesome log! The build is pretty good, but the log is awesome! Thanks for keeping it entertaining! I'll definitely be watching this one.
    "We are the music makers. We are the dreamers of the dreams."

Xtreme Member
    Production is halted until Saturday as I have changed some of my plans for the build and need to pick up a few more supplies from the store tomorrow. So far so good though, I've burned through the last two complete days working on this and have had a lot of fun!

You'll also note my loop setup will be:

-Reservoir
    -Gravity fed into Radiator
    -Pump
    -CPU Block
    -Chipset Block
    -Back into the Reservoir

Hopefully this doesn't lead to feeding problems when trying to add coolant. I am confident that the Res being so high up from the Rad/Pump, gravity will easily keep the Pump with enough coolant.

I bring you 8 more pictures to keep you interested though! Enjoy~

Last edited by Kuntz; 02-04-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Xtreme Guru
    KY and McDonald's napkins sounds like one hell of a party

You should be ok with that loop. I was looking at your photos and I see why you are doing it that way. I don't see a way to get the res directly in front of the pump and not have a ton of tubing going every where.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Looks good.

Especially the printscreen of your NCIX shopping cart :p
    Please note: I am not here to provide any kind of official NCIX support on these forums.

For faster (and official) service please contact me at Linus@ncix.com, or please contact our customer care team at wvvw.NCIX.com (Canada) or wvvw.NCIXUS.com (America)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647

Xtreme Member
    Mid-day update:

Last edited by Kuntz; 02-04-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Royal Administrator
    Haha, I love this log! Keep up the good work.

Xtreme Member
    great parts you got there..
    but why you didnt use the new EK's classfield waterblock?
    keep up the good work!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

EVGA SR-2 , 2X Intel Xeon 5620, 12X2GB Corsair Domminator 1600 MHZ CL7
    3X GTX580, Corsair AX1200, Lian Li PC-Z70
    3X Dell U2311H, Liliput 7" touchscreen monitor

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast