Thread: "upside down" rad question

Xtreme Member

"upside down" rad question

Probably a dumb question.. and I think I know the answer.. but..

Is there any noticeable performance difference by mounting a radiator vertically, with the in/outlets on the bottom instead of the top?

I think for my MMA build I turn the radiators upside down so I can run the tubing to the floor of the case and then to the rads instead of having it "dangling" in mid air.

Xtreme Member
    no, just make sure you get the air out.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeyes1995 View Post

Is there any noticeable performance difference by mounting a radiator vertically, with the in/outlets on the bottom instead of the top?

I think for my MMA build I turn the radiators upside down so I can run the tubing to the floor of the case and then to the rads instead of having it "dangling" in mid air.

you can even place it diagonally (if possible), but it boils down to the amount of cool air intake determines the 'noticeable' performance

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I don't think that you even have to worry about the bubbles inside of it, since they would go to the top and by carried by the current in both configuration anyway. If anything, when you mount and leak test, do it flat (and shake 'em!) and then when you're satisfied that everything is empty of air, you mount it in your case.

my rad is mounted horizontally but initially I had the inlet at the upper barb and the outlet at the lower barb. made bleeding a real pain in the butt, so i swapped and now it more or less bleeds itself. my worry with mounting vertically 'upside down' would be that you'd get an air cavity at the top of the radiator...though whether this matters that much i couldn't say.

I went with the feser 360s for my rads and will be mounting them upside down, they have a bleed screw at the top so I should be able to check and make sure there is not an air pocket
    New Rig in Development
    Current Rig: i7 950 (HK 3.0 CU Block) : ASUS WS (Koolance Blocks) : eVGA 295 GTX CO-OP (Swiftech Full card Block) : 6GB Corsair Dominator XMP memory : Highpoint 4320 raid card : 4x 128Gb SuperTalent MasterDrive SX's (Raid 0) - OS : 2x 300GB WD Raptors (Raid 0) - Caching Drive : D5 pump with Bitpower top running to 360 rad for CPU & MB : MCP355 with XPSC Res Top to 120mm rad for GPU

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by antiacid View Post
    I don't think that you even have to worry about the bubbles inside of it, since they would go to the top and by carried by the current in both configuration anyway. If anything, when you mount and leak test, do it flat (and shake 'em!) and then when you're satisfied that everything is empty of air, you mount it in your case.
    Your kidding right?
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by antiacid View Post
    Then put in the oven for at 350F for 20minutes. Let it cool, and enjoy.
    upgrading...

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeyes1995 View Post

Upside down rads are a pain. No performance difference as long as it is bled, but all the air in your loop will want to collect there. You'll have to bleed it, mounted, in different orientations.

(don't put it in the oven)
    upgrading...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Conumdrum View Post
    Your kidding right?
    Hey the bleed screw is just there for looks

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zeroibis View Post
    Hey the bleed screw is just there for looks
    isnt it?

I have been able to use the bleed screw many times. long as the inlet is on the other side of the bleed scew, you just need to turn on the pump and make sure you have it tilted so the bleed scew is at the highest point. As you unscrew it any ai gets forced out and then you should get the water to start coming out from the pumps pressure. Just tighten and you are done.

Biggest mistake I have seen is that once its done everyone forgets about the micro bubbles that are in the loop, so once the system has been running for a while the bubbles can settle at the highest point so it is always a good idea to check a couple times to make sure you don't have an air pocket sitting at the top of the radiator or other highpoint in the loop.
    New Rig in Development
    Current Rig: i7 950 (HK 3.0 CU Block) : ASUS WS (Koolance Blocks) : eVGA 295 GTX CO-OP (Swiftech Full card Block) : 6GB Corsair Dominator XMP memory : Highpoint 4320 raid card : 4x 128Gb SuperTalent MasterDrive SX's (Raid 0) - OS : 2x 300GB WD Raptors (Raid 0) - Caching Drive : D5 pump with Bitpower top running to 360 rad for CPU & MB : MCP355 with XPSC Res Top to 120mm rad for GPU