Thread: X-Fi bit-depth

Question X-Fi bit-depth

What is the officially rated output bitdepth for an X-Fi series card? I'm running an Xtreme Music and i've just fallen into another Foobar2000 tweaking binge.

The options I have are 16bit/24/bit/32bit. I used to use 24bit but now i'm finding a lot of conflicting opinions on the web and none at all from Creative sites.

In the Foobar config there is an option to configure ASIO devices which states Creative ASIO will output at 32Bit from all of my speakers, and I have begun to use ASIO as the Output method over Direct Sound: Speakers and X-Fi: Speakers due to there being no crackling/popping etc which I'm assuming is a problem related to Vista/7 handling of hardware sound (and due to Creative drivers being absolute ass).

I'm incredibly anal about this stuff and looking in places like Hydrogen Audio Forums just leads to more questions than answers from those audiophiles.
    AMD Phenom II x4 940 3.8Ghz/G.SKill DDR2 PC8500 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15
    Gigabyte GA MA790X-UD4/Radeon HD4890 1Gb @ 950/1120
    3x 640Gb Western Digital Caviar Black/1x 250Gb Seagate Barracuda
    Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music/5.1

SLC
    There is no difference.

Xtreme Addict
    Said differently, if it's games that interest you, no game soundtrack is ever high enough bit depth to create any sonic difference. You'd have to be recording sound to notice really.