Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Elpida Hyper Graveyard

Xtreme Member
    Kingston HyperX cl8 DDR3-2000 bought 2 kits from Newegg in April,

Running 12GB 2 kits one died

1.) How did the memory die?
    not sure, started getting random memory related blue screens

2.) What exactly happened?
    booted one day and blue screens started.
    ran memtest on each found bad stick immediately.

3.) What board, pcb rev and bios version did you use?
    Classified 760

4.) What speed and timings did you run the memory at when it died?
    12gb DDR3-1975, 7-8-7-20

5.) what speed and timings did you run the memory at most of the time?
    same as above

6.) What vtt did you run when the memory died?

7.) what vtt did you run the memory at most of the time?

Rma to Kingston got a new pair back in 4 days.So far so good running 12gb again.
    "Behold, I am Funkadelic. I am not of your world. But fear me not, I will do you no harm. Loan me your funky mind and I shall play with it. For nothing is good unless you play with it. And all that is good, is nasty!"
    ("What Is Soul," Funkadelic, 1969)

Xtreme Member
    Corsair Dominator GT 3x2 2000 7-8-7 Kit died 10 weeks after purchase.

1&2) Don't remember if i was browsing or gaming but definitely not OC testing. Crashed with blue screen.

3) BloodRage I think P06

4) Running 5:1 211bclk 2100 7-8-7 1t for 10 weeks.

5) This was my stable OC for everyday use.

6) VTT 1.54 on a C0 chip, 1.72vdimm max. I think this may be significant. D0 chip requires much less vtt as everyone is aware.

7) 1.54 was everday vtt.

I have evidence that at least 1 stick had chip degradation before failing completely. When the blue screen first appeared, I lowered the freq to 4:1 1688 @211 bclk and the board operated normally for 1 week at those settings. It would not boot at my former settings. I lowered the vtt slightly but can't remember how much.
    After 1 week the board would not boot at any settings. I tried the sticks in 2 Classifieds and DFI board with the same result.

New kit should be here in a couple of days. I plan on using them @5:1 but with 1.35 vtt with a D0 and see how they do.
    tripgood

Big hardware pile

Xtreme Member
    Kingston HyperX 3GB DDR3 2000 KHX16000D3ULT1K3/3GX

1. Dunno why or how it happened.
    2. One month of ownership and 1 of the 3 sticks shat itself. I turned my computer off working and went on vacation for 5 days to Vegas & Grand Canyon, came back and turned on my computer just for it to keep BSOD'ing on the Windows boot screen. Ran Memtest and the one stick threw more errors than I have ever seen a stick thrown.
    3. DFI UT X58-T3eH8 - rev 1 - 5/08
    4. 1600 CL6 7-6-18 1T
    5. 1600 CL6 7-6-18 1T to 2000 CL7 8-7-20 1T
    6. 1.23v
    7. 1.23v to 1.39v. 1.23v everyday cruising with a 4ghz CPU clock up to 1.39v benching.

Ordered some Mushkin Ascent DDR3 2000's last week. Going to give them a run for their money.

xtreme energy
    saaya owns so many graveyards, you must like this business

On the topic, is there any Elpida hyper that has survived more than 2 weeks and is still running fine daily?

Memory Addict
    Kiwi, my Corsair GT 2000C7 >3-4 months still going strong

Quote Originally Posted by TheKarmakazi View Post
    I have a set of kingston 2000 c8's from the first batch newegg sold (when everyone thought it was a pricing error).

Set arrived "half dead" meaning 2 of 3 sticks worked perfectly (1050+ c7) but the third wouldnt even do 2000c7 (at normal voltages <1.7vdimm, <1.4vtt). After giving them 1.8vdimm/1.45vtt @ 2000c7 benching the "half dead" stick completely died.

Tested on REX48 (found the half dead stick), and classified (doing the benching that killed it).

Cpuz detects 6GB/3 sticks, but windows/etc only sees 4GB/2 sticks. Will be RMA'ing soon
    FYI, my 6GB Kingston are from same first newegg.com batch as it was part of the massive purchase Andre made when they came up at that very cheap price on newegg.com.
    ---

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eva2000 View Post
    Kiwi, my Corsair GT 2000C7 >3-4 months still going strong

FYI, my 6GB Kingston are from same first newegg.com batch as it was part of the massive purchase Andre made when they came up at that very cheap price on newegg.com.
    Yeah those kits were either golden or garbage, too bad we got the latter

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    There seem to be at least half a dozen cases of dead elpida hyper based sticks that died nowhere near the known danger zone north of 2v but at a measly 1.65-1.75v... if you are one of the poor b4stards who had one of those sweet sticks roll over and die, please post as many details about it in this thread so we can find out whats causing it, and hopefully prevent it from happening in future

If this happened to you with samsung based memory or any other memory chip or you are not sure what chips your sticks use, but they also died at low vdimm, please post your experience here as well, it might not be an elpida hyper problem after all...

please answer as many of the questions below, ideally all of them:
    Just quote this post and then add your reply under each question

1.) How did the memory die? Idle, load, reboot?
    2.) What exactly happened? freeze, errors, crash, system turned off, system rebooted, blue screen, black screen
    CORSAIR TR3X6G1866C7GTF kit

1) How did the memory died?
    Stress testing with linx max mem usage.
    2) What exactly happened?
    The system rebooted.
    3) What board, pcb rev and bios version did you use?
    ASUS P5T DELUXE V2, bios v.0502
    4) What speed and timings did you run the memory at when it died?
    @1866, 7-8-7-20-2T 1.64v
    5) What speed and timings did you run the memory at most of the time?
    @1866, 7-8-7-20-2T 1.64v
    6) What vtt did you run when the memory died?
    @ 1.475v (auto)
    7) what vtt did you run the memory at most of the time?
    @ 1.475v (auto)

The kit worked fine for the first 4 days, then started rebooting randomly. While stress testing with linx I lost one memory module, the system recognized only 4 GB of the six installed. After that it stopped booting. I discovered that it was due to one dead memory module. It didn't work no matter in which memory slot I put it. The other two modules worked just fine. I used DOA and now I'm working with a new kit. So far no problems.
    Intel Core i7 980X @ 4.53 GHz 6C-12T / Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P / CORSAIR CMG6GX3M3A1866C7 / Ati Radeon Sapphire 5870 1GB DDR5 / CORSAIR CMFSSD-128GBG2D / LG CH08LS10 / Creative X-FI Titanium Fatality /Corsair CMPSU-850HXEU PSU (850W) / Silverstone Temjin SST-TJ07B Case / SAMSUNG SYNCMASTER P2350

Watercool HK CPU LGA1366 Rev. 3.0 LT / DD-CPX-Pro 12V Pump / Swiftech MCR320 360mm / EK-Multioption RES 250 Rev.2 - EK-ANTI-Cyclone / Scythe S-FLEX Fan SFF21G.

ENZOTECH SCW1 vs APOGEE GT

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post

On the topic, is there any Elpida hyper that has survived more than 2 weeks and is still running fine daily?
    My OCZ Blade 3x2 2000 7-8-7 kit is running strong 8 weeks.
    tripgood

Big hardware pile

Brilliant Idiot
    Kingtons 3x1g first set dead after some memtest.

Second set 3x1g works fine I believe msimax has them up for sale now as we can attain the same speeds binning cheap D9 GTR/S in 2x1g variants....

3x2g kit on the way will update at a later time.....
    Last edited by chew*; 06-15-2009 at 08:09 AM.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinto View Post
    My Gskill was dead on arrival but my Blade and GT kits died after 2 months 24/24 Saaya.
    what vdimm?
    did you stress test them a lot with memtest or play games for a long time?

if yes, then its bad news that they failed after 2 months... so that means even sticks that seem good for months can fail randomly... mhhh

Quote Originally Posted by fredyama View Post
    I cannot remember the details of each incident but ONE stick is either half-dead (POST ok at bclock 133MHz only) or dead on Classified mobo @1.78 - 1.87Vdimm within a couple days.

2 kits of Corsair GT C7 3x2G (half dead): 1st set right after the first LN2 benching & 2nd set arrived half-dead

1 kit of OCZ Blade 3x2G (dead): Right after the first LN2 benching

2 kits of SanMax CL9 3x2G (half dead): during air testing for both kits
    wow... sorry for all your losses fredyama-sensei!
    damn thats a lot of sticks... and whats up with all those DOAs?
    it seems that over the past year the amount of memory DOAs has skyrocketed... could it be that shops just put refurbished kits back on the shelves? makes sense, its probably a lot of hassle to test all kits or rma them to the manufacturer and wait for them to come back, plus it costs shipping and takes time... but geez, its almost like you have to buy two kits now to be 100% sure you got a working set of 3 sticks from what im hearing here...

so when benching with high vdimm it seems the sticks fail very fast and almost instantly, but even at low vdimm they degrade or fail after some time... sounds like serious chip issues at elpida...

Quote Originally Posted by cdawall View Post
    really good thread i have a kit on elpida non-hypers die on me no idea if those count
    are those the same chips and just binned diferently?
    if yes, then it seems you have the same issue...
    im actually a bit out of the loop about the latest chips...

Bootsy, wow, 12gb at near 2k cas7, thats sweet!
    so after how much time did the stick go belly up? around 1-2 months?
    did you torture it a lot with memtest or benching or gaming?

tripgood, you got 2 classifieds and a dfi and a br? daymmmm man!

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post

heheh, actually this is only the third, and well, nobody else seems to start any graveyard topics... personally i think this is the most important information we need to exchange about hardware, when and how does it die... to me thats more important than how high some parts clock... cause whats the point if it dies a week after setting a new record?

im really surprised and actually a bit worried over how this thread exploded in half a day to two pages with some people losing several sticks... i didnt know things were that bad... plus all the doa stuff... though i suspect the doa is people having a dead stick and just sending it back to newegg instead of rmaing it, and newegg puts it back on the shelf instead of rmaing it...

anyhow, i think tomorrow i will collect the lifetime of the sticks, i hope that theres a certain time that, once the sticks surivive past that, you can be pretty sure they are fine, at least most likely...

thanks for all the feedback everybody!

Xtreme Addict
    @saaya i believe they are just binned differently and i posted what happened with mine in the 1st post now

Xtreme Addict
    Wow, this stuff sounds more fragile than Micron RevD DDR2 ICs.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    yes, sounds exactly like the problems micron d9gmh/gkx had, but this is much much worse apparently...
    the failure rates seem much higher with the elpida chips, especially the most recent batches apparently

Banned

Bored at work so....

I figured this thread needed some cheering up after so many of us have lost good mem kits

EDIT: My photochop skillz are so ub3r 1337!

Xtreme Member
    yes, sounds exactly like the problems micron d9gmh/gkx had, but this is much much worse apparently...
    the failure rates seem much higher with the elpida chips, especially the most recent batches apparently
    I would like to see the difference in failures with people who were using C0 chips as opposed to D0 when their kits failed. IMC functions much better with D0 chip @ less vtt IMO.
    tripgood

Big hardware pile

Xtreme Member
    what vdimm?
    did you stress test them a lot with memtest or play games for a long time?

if yes, then its bad news that they failed after 2 months... so that means even sticks that seem good for months can fail randomly... mhhh
    Lot of games and few max memory tests, never use more than 1.75v and 1.6v for daily/game use.
    i7 3960X@5ghz, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, 8gb Gskill RipjawsZ PC19200C8, Corsair force GT 240go, 2XGTX Titan, MM Ascension, Seasonic X-serie Gold 1250W, Watercooling

i7 3930K@5ghz, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, 8gb Gskill RipjawsZ PC17000C9, OCZ Vertex 3 120go, GTX670 DCU2 Top, MM Pinnacle, Corsair AX850, Watercooling

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by tripgood View Post
    I would like to see the difference in failures with people who were using C0 chips as opposed to D0 when their kits failed. IMC functions much better with D0 chip @ less vtt IMO.
    I fail to see your point......I don't even use intel and we had a failure during memtest....I doubt its the IMC's to blame.
    heatware chew*

Champion
    1. Adata EE 1800 3x2 8-8-8-24 1.65-1.85v Elpida Hyper (I took off HS)

One stick dead, no boot at all. Some tests on Rampage II Gene if I remember correctly. VTT ~ 1.4v max, VDIMM ~ 1.65-1.8v. Died during overclocking all on AC.

no boot
    Please refer above
    Rampage II Gene, bios 0809
    1600 8-8-8-24 because GENE doesn't like Elpida Hyper and does not clock it well
    New set, never tested, but other sticks in Dual Channel on Rampage II Extreme do 2000 7-8-7-21 @ 1.85v
    1.375-1.4v
    I can't say because it's only review sample

Kingston HyperX 2000 CAS8 3x2 Elpida Hyper

One stick died after 10 minutes during installing OS. Booted at 1333 1.5v 9-9-9-24. But before installing OS on SmackOver DX58SO I put it into DFI X58 UT and ran at 1333 CAS9 1.5v and VTT default.

no boot
    Please refer above
    SmackOver DX58SO, BIOS SO4014P
    1333 CAS9 1.5v and VTT default.
    New set, never tested, but other sticks in Dual Channel on Rampage II Extreme do 2000 7-8-7-21 @ 1.8v
    1.1-1.2v default

I can't say because it's only review sample

has anybody tried to revive his dead stick by putting it into the freezer?
    this helps with most dead micron sticks, at least temporarily.... if that helps with the elpida chips as well then its most likely a silicon bonding/packaging problem...
    I tried, put ADATA and Kingston into DICE and it didn't help.

Corsair DOM GT 1866 CAS7 3x2 directly from Bachus are working 4 months or more without any issue on the same motherboards: SmackOver, R2E, R2 GENE, EVGA X58 SLI, DFI X58 UT, Gigabyte X58 UD5... with voltages VTT 1.2-1.8v, VMEM 1.5v - 1.95v
    Last edited by Xtreme Addict; 06-15-2009 at 09:47 AM.
    MSI MOA 2009 POLAND #3
    Gigabyte GOOC 2010 POLAND #2
    MSI MOA 2010 POLAND - NOT ORGANISED
    ASUS Polish Overclocking Championship 2010 #1
    MSI MOA 2011 POLAND - NOT INVITED
    HWBOT Country Cup 2011 - POLAND! #1
    MSI MOA 2012 EMEA - #1
    MSI MOA 2012 WW FINALS - #7
    ASUS Open Overclocking Cup AOOC 2012 - #1
    HWBOT Country Cup 2012 - POLAND! #2
    MSI MOA 2013 EMEA Qualifier - #2
    ASUS Open Overclocking Cup AOOC 2013 - #?
    MSI MOA 2013 WW FINALS - #?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    I fail to see your point......I don't even use intel and we had a failure during memtest....I doubt its the IMC's to blame.
    I doubt the imc is to blame also the more i think of it. I don't think a correlation between C0 and D0 user mem failures is relevant since early Elpida Hypers were with C0 only. Random failures would seem to point to a failed binning process at some point in the manufacturing process.
    tripgood

Big hardware pile

Corsair Dominator GT 2000 8-8-8-24

Playing 3D games like Crysis/GRID

Bluescreen. Rebooted and only 2GB was recognized. Tested each stick individually found two sticks dead.

Foxconn Bloodrage bios G25

1530 6-6-6-16 2T 1.5v

1530 6-6-6-16 2T 1.5v - 2000MHz 8-8-8-20 1.65v

~1.3v

1.3 - 1.52v

Xtreme Member
    i have bought kingston hyper 2000 3gb 8-8-8 kit
    only one day was Ok with stock settings and 1.65Vdimm/1.35VTT

after that only 11-11-10 boots

boot but with very bad timings
    nothing espacial
    DFI X58 UT
    2000 8-8-8-24
    stock speed and once 2280 7-8-7 1.75V
    1.375-1.4v
    1.38-1.5

Kingston HyperX 2000 CAS8 3x1 Elpida Hyper
    Last edited by westsider; 06-15-2009 at 10:15 AM.
    My DDR2 Results:
    Cellshock GMH 8500 2GB-1508MHz 2.74v vldt
    Cellshock GMH 8500 2GB-1398MHz 4-4-4-12 2.74v vldt
    Cellshock GMH 8500 2GB-973MHz 3-2-2-1 2.74v vldt
    Cellshock GMH 8500 2GB-1000MHz 3-4-3-5 3.25v SP1M
    Mushkin XP 8500 GMH 2GB-1300MHz 2.45v vldt
    OCZ Reaper 1200MHz PSC-1406MHz 2.28v vldt
    Dominator 8500 GKX 2GB-840MHz 3-2-2-1 2.5v vldt

Xtreme Addict
    Seems they usually die in some stress testing.. which indicates manufacturing problems. Simply, they are badly made.. Other tough, it seems that G.Skills survive longer than others, so they either have better batches, or PCB is made with taking fragilty of this chips in mind.

I wouldn't like being in Elpida skin or some ram company, which must now RMA like every second kit with those chips..

Micron FTW. (anyone killed D9GTR yet?)
    i7 930 D0 - 4,2 GHz + Megashadow
    3x4GB Crucial 1600MHz CL8
    Foxconn Bloodrage rev. 1.1 - P09
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    SeaGate ES.2 1TB + 1TB External SeaGate
    Corsair HX 850W (its GOLD man!)
    ASUS STX + Sennheiser HD 555 (tape mod)

Old-new camera so some new pics will be there.. My Flickr My 500px.com My Tumblr

Xtreme Member
    Has anyone had any Mushkin kits die? (I didnt just wondering)

Also have most of you bought them from newegg? Some seem to think many of these kits were abused and then returned back to newegg and then bought again by other people which could lead to dead chips if the last owner was running much higher voltage.
    Last edited by Star_Hunter; 06-15-2009 at 11:00 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Star_Hunter View Post
    Has anyone had any Mushkin kits die? (I didnt just wondering)

Also have most of you bought them from newegg? Some seem to think many of these kits were abused and then returned back to newegg and then bought again by other people which could lead to dead chips if the last owner was running much higher voltage.
    I kinda doubt, that newegg would do such a thing.. that would damage their reputation badly.

I haven't seen anyone with Mushkin based on Elpida so far.. Which is interesting, cause they are quite good and cheap. At least, I haven't problems with Mushkins.
    i7 930 D0 - 4,2 GHz + Megashadow
    3x4GB Crucial 1600MHz CL8
    Foxconn Bloodrage rev. 1.1 - P09
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    SeaGate ES.2 1TB + 1TB External SeaGate
    Corsair HX 850W (its GOLD man!)
    ASUS STX + Sennheiser HD 555 (tape mod)

Old-new camera so some new pics will be there.. My Flickr My 500px.com My Tumblr

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by Mescalamba View Post
    Micron FTW. (anyone killed D9GTR yet?)
    Micron is tricky......but the most important factor is micron d9 gtr can not do these speeds in 2gig modules.

If your fancy is running tight like me 1720 6-6-5-15-11, your not gonna do so at reasonable volts.....not even after binning 3 sets of some of the best stuff out there....and they will degrade.

My set used to pull 6-5-5 but bsod'd while running 32m PI and never ran 6-5-5 again.

Lets not mention that I can get anyway with alot more voltage than most of the intel guys can for extended periods of time.....

Best bet is GTR/GTS 1g modules for 2d and elpida is really the only game in town for 2gig modules and 3d benching, if attemtping to run tight latencies at rather tight timings....
    heatware chew*

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast