Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Thread: BloodRAGE PCI-E and Bclk Mod

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by therager View Post
    Thanks. Could have done without the music though. LOL

Although I see no need to use extra solder. I've been pretty fortunate with things like this in using what is already available.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkItZo View Post
    Any worklog of the girl in your avatar?
    HEAT
    EBAY

Project Slumber Parties aka PSP Liquid Cooling Work Log

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Wonderful Tweazers my #$@!!!

Anyone know what the number is for that sucker from Radio Shack?
    I'm skimming the post to see if anyone lists it.
    HEAT
    EBAY

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Fox View Post
    OK, managed to pull this mod.
    This SMD resistor is so small !
    BTW its resistance is 100 Ohm and not 1K Ohm !

After the mod I could easily even go to 130 Mhz with PCI-E, too bad that after 120Mhz the Sata controller freaks out and my HDD was not recognized.
    So 120Mhz is somehow the safe/sane limit.

In terms of bclk, it seems that on H20, i could pull up to 231Mhz (with 12multy), even ran a SuperPi 1M ran.
    I could boot at 228Bclk from BIOS, very nice

I hope on cold it will get even better.

Here is a screenshot from Windows with 120Mhz PCI-E and 225.5Mhz bClk (afaik it was 226Mhz bClk from BIOS).
    Any change you know any more information about the dang little $#$$@$@

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk....dll?Selection

There are 990 different surface mount resistors that are 100OHM.

Damn why didn't I listen to myself and not use the freaking tweezers.
    HEAT
    EBAY

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scgt1 View Post
    Although I see no need to use extra solder.
    You should add some Pb-containing solder (like on the video) to lower melting temperature of mb Pb-free solder. Otherwise resistor removal is almost impossible with regular soldering-iron.
    Last edited by therager; 11-11-2010 at 01:11 AM.
    ASRock 990FX Extreme4|AMD FX-8320 w/water|OCZ3RPR1866C9LV4GK|XFX HD5850|WD6000HLHX|PC P&C Silencer 910W
    Foxconn BloodRAGE X58|Intel Core i7 920|G.Skill F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD|XFX HD5770|WD6000HLHX|PC P&C Silencer 750W

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ok it seems the only key value for this use is the 100 ohm. I've got an old hard drive laying around. I'm not the greatest with a voltage meter. I know red goes on the ohm plug and black to com. The settings I have are 20M, 2M, 200K, 20K, 2K->+, 200. Ideally I would think it needs to be on the 200. Although I've tried measuring others on the mobo around the mod area and I'm getting different values on many while some are measuring the same. So does anyone know what other resistors on the bloodrage are 100 ohm and their location so I can pull the same reading to see what it needs to say to test the hard drive resistors?

Another thing I don't know if my meter works properly which could cause a big problem with this. If I have it hooked up as above and set it on 200 I'm left with a 1 on the left of the screen then a small 200 off to the right at the bottom with a decimal right above it. Then if I touch the leads I'm left with 00.0 on the screen for a reading. Which ideally it should be 0 I think, but the decimal is off by one. Meaning I don't think there should be a decimal there.
    HEAT
    EBAY

Xtreme X.I.P.
    You should add some Pb-containing solder (like on the video) to lower melting temperature of mb Pb-free solder. Otherwise resistor removal is almost impossible with regular soldering-iron.
    hmmm depends on the iron, isnt the melting point of ROHS solder only ~10C higher?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    hmmm depends on the iron, isnt the melting point of ROHS solder only ~10C higher?
    I used some $20 Radioshack special and have done xbox work and inverter board fuses on a viewsonic monitor. I had no problem just heating up the solder and using the pick to remove the resistor.

Just those damn tweezers that have so far screwed me out of a bloodrage.
    HEAT
    EBAY

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    Depends on the solder type mainly, but the typical difference is about 50-60*C :
    http://www.empf.org/empfasis/jan05/lfaudit.htm

Hand soldering processes
    Even for hand soldering, the processing differences between tin lead and lead free must be considered. The solder tip must be adjusted to the higher temperatures required. For lead free solders, the EMPF found that the solder tip temperature needed to be set between 343°C / 650°F and 371°C / 700°F as opposed to 315°C / 599°F for tin lead solders. Temperatures higher than 398°C / 750°F were considered unnecessary for most hand soldering applications.
    Also if someone uses uncontrollable soldering-iron, the only way to lower melting temperature is to add Pb-containing solder .
    Last edited by therager; 11-12-2010 at 02:34 AM.
    ASRock 990FX Extreme4|AMD FX-8320 w/water|OCZ3RPR1866C9LV4GK|XFX HD5850|WD6000HLHX|PC P&C Silencer 910W
    Foxconn BloodRAGE X58|Intel Core i7 920|G.Skill F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD|XFX HD5770|WD6000HLHX|PC P&C Silencer 750W

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Depends on the solder type mainly, but the typical difference is about 50-60*C :
    http://www.empf.org/empfasis/jan05/lfaudit.htm

Also if someone uses uncontrollable soldering-iron, the only way to lower melting temperature is to add Pb-containing solder .
    depends what you solder with
    ive been using a 25W iron for a few mods heheheh

Xtreme Member
    I've done the mod on my board today.

Was able to boot into windows with pci frequency set at 114mhz, didn't bother trying any higher because that's all i've ever needed for 250bclks on my other boards.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678