Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: New Formula One Overclocking Competition Announced

Xtreme Member

Thumbs up New Formula One Overclocking Competition Announced

Time to put this 'out there'. We intend to start this soon. Here's what we have so far. What do you think?

It has become apparent that there is a new generation of elite overclockers who now have early access to cutting-edge hardware that has lifted them beyond the realms of traditional overclocking competition.

This idea has been discussed over the past several months but is now in a position to go ahead. It will be in addition to existing competitions and completely separate from them. It will be run by The Overclocker magazine, XS and HWBot.

We have been speaking to the industry over the past few months already but at Computex I visited virtually every manufacture who would be directly involved and got overwhelming support for it.

The Overclocker intends to create a Formula One style overclocking competition.

The purpose of this competition would be to drive computer technology forward by pushing its limits through overclocking. It will also naturally promote overclockers. It should also capture the imagination of all tech enthusiasts (not just overclockers) who will clearly benefit from seeing which hardware provides the very best performance. The manufacturers we have spoken to have all instantly recognised the halo effect of this: the manufacturer of the best products will sell more lower-end products too. This has been true to automotive racing for years.

We can discuss it to death if we’re not careful so hopefully the following will be clear, concise and not require major tweaking. This competition should start at the beginning of August.

1) For season one, there will be no limits whatsoever. Any limits that need implementing in future seasons will be reactionary to problems that may have occurred in previous seasons. One such example would be if the field finished in the exact order of processor power... we’d need to limit GHz the following season.

2) There will be two groups of teams: manufacturers and guest teams. For season 1 all teams will be invitational only. Manufacturer’s teams will be safe from relegation. However, the three, lowest-performing guest teams will be relegated. They will be replaced by the best three teams in an open qualifying competition. The relegated teams can compete in this.

3) At the beginning of each month an overclocking task will be set. Overclocking scores (with the usual validations) must be submitted by the end of the month according to the International Date Line. HWBot will hopefully manage this. We’re discussing the details.

4) The overclocking tasks used will be highly varied in order to cover as much hardware as possible and test the all-round skill of the overclockers.

5) The initial guest teams selected are done so according to perceived skill and influence on global overclocking. We naturally can’t include everyone and top overclockers will naturally be left out. The intention is that after three seasons we have a highly-competitive field which genuinely reflects the best of the best in terms of hardware and overclockers.

6) All kit used must be on sale by the beginning of the month of the task. If another team wants to buy it, it must be available. We do not want specially-manufactured components which have been built purely to win a race... unless it’s fully available to the public.

7) The first season will run for five months (with five tasks) and will start at the beginning of August.

Benchmarks

The first five benchmarks will be...

SuperPi 32M
    SuperPi 8M (on an AMD platform)
    3DMark Vantage
    3DMark 06 on motherboard integrated graphics
    Highest FSB

Season 1 Teams

Most of these have been agreed already. The limit is 14 teams to avoid lists getting too unwieldy. There are obviously going to be good people left out – contact The Overclocker or a team leader to claim an empty spot at one of the teams if you’re interested. This is purely invitational to avoid griping about who should be involved. Everyone can be involved down the line. Just not yet. If you want to fill vacancies in any of the below teams let us know quick!

Manufacturer Teams
    Team Asus – TBC – TBC
    Team Gigabyte – Hicookie – DeDaL
    Team EVGA – k|ngp|n – Andre Yang
    Team Biostar – pt1t – Bobelmagnifique
    Team DFI – Massman – over@locker886
    Team MSI – Bustah – Barron_Greenback

Guest Teams
    Team Australia – dinos22 – Youngpro
    Team USA – FUGGER – mikeguava
    Team Greece – hipro5 – gprhellas
    Team Finland – Sampsa – SF3D
    Team Tom’s Hardware – TBC – TBC
    Team China – Artkobe - Victorwang
    Team Indonesia – Benny – Ekky
    Team Russia – NeoForce - pofigist

Sponsorship

Each team is free to organise its own sponsorship. At present Corsair and Kingston are prepared to supply top-quality RAM to anyone that needs it. Power Supplies have also been promised by Antec, Corsair and Cooler Master. Galaxy is happy to supply graphics cards. All motherboard makers who make graphics cards should also help out. Contact Nick at the overclocker if you want to be put in touch with these people. We actively encourage competitors to get money for sponsoring their teams. For season two we should be able to provide agents for helping with this.

This has not been finalised and some people named may still be unaware of it. But we can't wait for everyone at this stage.

What do you all think?

Who should be in Team USA!?
    Last edited by The_Overclocker; 06-17-2009 at 03:01 PM.

Banned Movieman...
    this is a good idea. i would talk to chew about team usa.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Overclocker View Post
    Team MSI – Miahallen
    start calling you 'bigtime' now.
    PC-A04 | Z68MA-ED55 | 2500k | 2200+ XPG | 7970 | 180g 520 | 2x1t Black | X3 1000w

Brilliant Idiot
    Ehh I would be of little Use on the intel side of things.....I could cover the AMD side of things though and already have the necessary connections on that side of the fence.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Xtreme Addict
    Some big names.
    -

"Language cuts the grooves in which our thoughts must move" | Frank Herbert, The Santaroga Barrier
    2600K | GTX 580 SLI | Asus MIV Gene-Z | 16GB @ 1600 | Silverstone Strider 1200W Gold | Crucial C300 64 | Crucial M4 64 | Intel X25-M 160 G2 | OCZ Vertex 60 | Hitachi 2TB | WD 320

Banned Movieman...
    Quote Originally Posted by CedricFP View Post
    Some big names.
    some very big names

c[_]
    Highest FSB is more an achievement than a benchmark. How will image-altering techniques (LOD, MIPMAP/PICMIP, SoftAA, etc) tweaks be handled?

As to handling time, I think this (GMT) would work well: http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Engineering The Xtreme
    I take it Fugger and Vapor declined to participate? otherwise, team USA found

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    that's what we're all hoping

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    FUGGER knows all about it but declined to compete because of time constraints. He's been afk much of last week (I was discussing it with him at Computex).

There's quite a few people who could viably go for Team USA - I think he should decide, but please discuss it here.

For Team China, Speedtime will decide.

Am still waiting for other slots to be finalised. So tell us if you're interested.

And yes... there's some VERY big names

Champion
    have fun there and good luck all.....

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ekky View Post
    have fun there and good luck all.....
    Benny has nominated you, mate... get ready

Xtreme Member
    MovieMan for team USA.

Xtreme Addict
    this seems to be well structured and thought out, i'm looking forward to round 1.

Vapor? team USA?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

Xtreme Legend
    Please edit Team Nordic Hardware to Team Finland, thank you. Looking forward to this competition
    Favourite game: 3DMark
    Work: Muropaketti.com - Finnish hardware site
    Views and opinions about IT industry: Twitter: sampsa_kurri

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sampsa View Post
    Please edit Team Nordic Hardware to Team Finland, thank you. Looking forward to this competition
    No worries!

Xtreme Member
    OK, it looks like feedback and private messages suggest there should be a vote on who makes up Team USA.

Miahallen, Gautam and others are all getting mentioned. What other names and we'll run a poll in a few days?

Xtreme Addict
    This all sounds so damn epic reading, so far I am still a Air-nooblet
    SweClockers.com

CPU: Phenom II X4 955BE
    Clock: 4200MHz 1.4375v
    Memory: Dominator GT 2x2GB 1600MHz 6-6-6-20 1.65v
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
    GPU: HD 5770

Mhhh, should be better if we are only Team Germany and not Team Tom's Hardware

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Team Greece – hipro5 – GPRHellas/Aristidis ?

I think in team Germany could be No_Name.
    Schedule of Live Extreme Overclocking - info Thread

Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    "My Backup is bigger than Your Backup"

I did not decline, I have been away for the past week and back to work now.

We need to discuss this a lot more and I made a copy for the XIP section.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Xtreme Enthusiast
    No Team UK?

Xtreme Legend
    To clarify; I have not signed for this since I dont have time at this point. Sorry.
    Last edited by Kinc; 06-12-2009 at 01:05 AM.

no sleep, always tired TheGoat Eater's Avatar
    hmm... team USA - Charles, Titon, chew*, Gomeler, Capt. Planet, Gautam, and sno.lcn are just some of the few people I can think of

EDIT- Can I be TEAM Iowa lol

Double Edit - Donations for Team USA possible??? ( as well as other Guest Teams?)
    Last edited by TheGoat Eater; 06-12-2009 at 01:46 AM.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Hot damn that is an interesting concept. Talk about a grueling 5 months though, that is several hundred hours of benching on top of the normal schedule.

Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast