Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Note for those running heavy oc'ed Quadfire 4890

Back from the Dead
    Quote Originally Posted by Theorw View Post
    But high end mobos today ignore these ways of extra power...
    Well, not all of them

See http://nx.i4memory.com/reviewimages/.../dfix58_v1.jpg

What do you see?
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Quote Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
    I would not mod on the PSU 24 pin because you are still sending all that current through just the 2 pins of the port. (Which is where it burns up if I understand correctly).

Make sure your traces can handle the load as mentioned earlier in the thread. Do not want to just move the damage further along the line...

there is no different between plug on the 24 socket or main board

if u plug on the main board the it connect to 24 pin power

if u plug on the power 24 it connect to main board to!!

can u say what is different between this?!?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcool View Post
    Well, not all of them

See http://nx.i4memory.com/reviewimages/.../dfix58_v1.jpg

What do you see?
    Well u are right about this board...
    But its the exception on the rule...
    And of course its DFI AGAIN!

Back from the Dead
    Yeah.. it's also my favourite of all X58's TBH. The classified may OC higher, but what you get for your money with the DFI UT is awesome.
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

PI in the face
    ^ people running quadfire want to clock higher as they are either benching to the tits or are stupid for thinking it would be good for gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by L0ud View Post
    So many opinions and so few screenshots

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by G81 View Post
    there is no different between plug on the 24 socket or main board

if u plug on the main board the it connect to 24 pin power

if u plug on the power 24 it connect to main board to!!

can u say what is different between this?!?
    The proper way to do the mod is to add it to the board (either to the PCI-E slots directly or the backside of the 24pin ATX connector). Adding the current capacity to the 24pin connector of the PSU will limit you to the electrical efficiency of the pins which connect the PSU to the motherboard.

Ever seen a burned molex connector?

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member

I don't get it?

I have a 759 Classified and I'm planning on getting a few nv300s when they come out. But I was wondering if I don't do this mod will my board melt down? I thought this board could handle three to four way sli? I mean why the F did I pay 5 bills for this board? Feel kind of let down by Evga here if this is true?

Not only that I'm hearing reports on the Evga forums that the latest 191.07 drivers and win 7 is burning out the pci-e lanes for some people. Maybe Evga should come out with a 24 pin adapter that goes in between the plug and the psu with supplemented grounding and power without having to solder your board? I'm not good with soldering.

This news bites it hard!
    Motherboard: EVGA Classified 759
    CPU: Intel 920 D0 2.66 @ 3.8ghz
    Ram: 6gb 1600 DDR3 7-7-7-20 Corsair Dominators
    PSU: PC Power Cooling 1200 ESA
    Audio: SB X-Fi Titanium
    Video: Trifire XFX 6970
    Harddrives: WD3000HLFSx2+ OCZ 120G Vertex SSD
    Cooling: HK 3.0 - XPSC360 Rad - MCP655 pump

Xtreme Legend
    this issue should be only for ATI multi cards. NV multi cards doesn't need to mod.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shammy View Post
    No Saying, but Showing

Xtreme Member

What's the real issue?

Quote Originally Posted by AndreYang View Post
    this issue should be only for ATI multi cards. NV multi cards doesn't need to mod.
    Seems like the issue is with the motherboard not the videocards! Anyhow can someone please explain what the issue is specifically?

Thank you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by davidm71 View Post
    Seems like the issue is with the motherboard not the videocards! Anyhow can someone please explain what the issue is specifically?

Thank you.
    Just read the thread.... its all explained

Xtreme Cruncher
    Seems like when designing it they would have put molex connectors on the board next to the PCIE slots for the slots...

Xtreme Member

I can't believe my eyes

Quote Originally Posted by TheKarmakazi View Post
    Just read the thread.... its all explained
    I read the thread and from what I can gather the problem is that the Classified 759 has a power problem with more than 2 cards. You say doesn't affect nvidia cards but from what I've read on the Evga forums that isn't necesarily true. What's going to happen when nv300 comes out? I just would like someone to say don't worry not a real issue. It's kind of upsetting news.

Xtreme Addict
    It is because when you run with 4 ait cards they draw to much amp tru the atx connector så the 12v wires vil get warm an maybe short circut
    The man with the littel Barebone!
    And proud Crew of!!!
    Octeamdenmark.com
    Shuttle SX38P2Pro Barebone E8600cpu and HD4870X2 gfx and 2gig Crusial Ballistix PC8500 Cl5 and 2x150gig Raptor in raid 0 and 1x750 gig seagate
    Msi 790FX-GD70 Mobo Amd 955-965 PHII cpus and 2gig Crucial value PC10600@800mhz 7-5-5-15 1T
    And 4x500GB Seagate 7200.12 in raid0
    4xHD5770 in CFQ.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member

High Voltage Warning

Quote Originally Posted by Riska View Post
    It is because when you run with 4 ait cards they draw to much amp tru the atx connector så the 12v wires vil get warm an maybe short circut
    What about three way SLI and a physX card? What I would really like to know what is the max wattage the Classified 759 can handle? Anyhow since the release of the Ati 5870 line, nVidia cards now draw more power than ATI cards especially in Windows 7...

Thanks.

What about three way SLI and a physX card? What I would really like to know what is the max wattage the Classified 759 can handle? Anyhow since the release of the Ati 5870 line, nVidia cards now draw more power than ATI cards especially in Windows 7...

Thanks.
    It's already been said a couple of times, this only applies to 3 and 4 card ATI set ups, it does not apply to Nvidia no matter the configurations SLI, Tri SLI, Tri SLI w/physx card
    Quote Originally Posted by chuchnit View Post
    Why do you always have to bring two sockets into everything?
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Because a one socket system is only 1/2 a system..
    You got two balls don't you?
    I rest my case!

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Xtreme Member

Want to believe ...

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    It's already been said a couple of times, this only applies to 3 and 4 card ATI set ups, it does not apply to Nvidia no matter the configurations SLI, Tri SLI, Tri SLI w/physx card
    I'm sorry but I don't believe it. Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it won't eventually. I've studied the power consumption of both nVidia and Ati cards and most of the time nVidia cards suck more juice though I'm not sure about through the pci-e slot. What I do know is that there have been reports about Win 7 cranking up the power consumption through the video cards more than before and that some people with the 759 Classified and the latest 191.07 WHQL nvidia drivers have done near permanent damage to their motherboards. Though I'm only speculating and have no concrete evidence of what is going nor has it happened to me, I just would like to have all the facts before I plug away three - four video cards. Hopefully the next generation of 40nm nv300 cards will be more power efficient. Until then I'm going to play it safe.

Thanks.

I'm sorry but I don't believe it. Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it won't eventually. I've studied the power consumption of both nVidia and Ati cards and most of the time nVidia cards suck more juice though I'm not sure about through the pci-e slot. What I do know is that there have been reports about Win 7 cranking up the power consumption through the video cards more than before and that some people with the 759 Classified and the latest 191.07 WHQL nvidia drivers have done near permanent damage to their motherboards. Though I'm only speculating and have no concrete evidence of what is going nor has it happened to me, I just would like to have all the facts before I plug away three - four video cards. Hopefully the next generation of 40nm nv300 cards will be more power efficient. Until then I'm going to play it safe.

Thanks.
    You're absolutely right about this. I've just burned up two pins of my PSU's 24 pin connector in my e760 with SLI GTX480's.... stock. This happened on two different PSU's now a, 1200w Silverstone and a 800W Tagan. I'll be doing this mod shortly. /gravedigger
    i7 920 D0 @ 4.7+HT | Classified E760 | 2 x GTX 480 | 3 x 2GB DDR2000 GSkill Trident 9-9-9-24
    Heatkiller 3.0 Acetal CPU Block + 2x Swiftec MCW60 + 4x120 BIX Rad | 2x 128GB C300 SSDs

c[_]
    Burned pins is an issue with the connector, not the board.

Thats not to say adding the mod wont help the board of course.

That doesn't make sense really. Because I've been running this board and PSU combination for MONTHS with no issue. Suddenly when two high power draw GPUs get attached, pins start melting... I don't think it's a 'connector issue'. If it were, then I'd have had melting pins long ago, either with the two 5870s or with the 5870/5970 combination it handled before.

The power draw is way out of the connector spec, which is a power management issue between the mobo and GPU (where are the two pulling their power from).
    i7 920 D0 @ 4.7+HT | Classified E760 | 2 x GTX 480 | 3 x 2GB DDR2000 GSkill Trident 9-9-9-24
    Heatkiller 3.0 Acetal CPU Block + 2x Swiftec MCW60 + 4x120 BIX Rad | 2x 128GB C300 SSDs

c[_]
    You added more power draw through the pins by adding the high power GPU's. The pins have an effective contact area and pressure. If you draw too much power through the (rather poor) connection then heat builds up due to resistance and poor contact area/pressure.

If you had that problem in the board (which is what this thread is about) it would be catching fire or burning traces rather than pins.

You know what I wish PC's (motherboards, video cards, PSU's) had? Screw type terminals like this, or like you find on a lot of car audio amplifiers:

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post

You know what I wish PC's (motherboards, video cards, PSU's) had? Screw type terminals like this, or like you find on a lot of car audio amplifiers:

I actually did something similar years back when they'd just started adding external power supplies to some agp boards - my card at the time didn't have one and would occasionally fall over due to burning a pin or two in the AGP slot - I drilled in from the side behind the problem contacts using an endmill in a dremel (flat end to help prevent drilling through the contact itself), and then tapped them all for allen headed grub screws - seemed to prevent the burning problem, and you can add more power by bringing a feed from a molex down over the grubscrew with a ring terminal and securing with a nut. (or just use a normal bolt/cap head instead of a grubscrew, but I didn't have one handy).

If it's only a couple of traces like mine was then thumbscrews/old mobo standoffs would be faster for fitting/removing the card.
    Those with better soldering kit than my clunky old 30w soldering iron with an end the size of your thumb could probably solder straight to the pin?
    Last edited by Rippthrough; 07-29-2010 at 07:32 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    So this is not from the same problem?? http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=536713 The man was using 3 480s i believe.
    Running now, http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=693435

Intel 3960 @ 5Ghz
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    QuadFire 7970
    X-Fi Sound Card
    16GB G.Skill 2133Mhz DDR3 Quad Channel Ram 9,11,10 @ 1.65v.
    3 Acer 23" 3D Ready LCDs
    2x Ultra X4 1600 WATT P/S 's
    MM Extension Ascention UFO Case W/ Top of the line Water cooling. Dream build!

c[_]
    no, its a poor connection at the 24pin connector. It is not a problem of the PSU not able to provide enough power or the board not able to transport the power through its power plane to the PCI-E slots.

Xtreme Member
    So basically you are saying that the 24 pin connector was never designed to handle this amount of power draw on the 12v lines?

Is that why more modern tri and quad gpu (7+ slots) boards have now come out with extra molex connectors and specifically saying in the product description that the reason they have added extra molex connections is for high end multi gpu setups.

I know for sure that problem isn't restricted to EVGA products, Asus products like the P6T7 have the same problem with melting 24pin connectors.
    | Completed: Project "Simples" | Custom TJ07 | P67A-UD3 | 2600K | GTX460 | MCR320+MCR220 | DDC 18W+XSPC Res |
    | In progress: Project "Weebeastie" | A70B | P6T7 WS | i7-970 | 4xGTX470 | PA120.3+RX240+TFC120 | XSPC Dual-Pump-BayRes |
    | In progress: Project "Gemini" | PC-P80B | EVGA SR-2 | 2xX5650 | 7100GS | PA140.3 | EK DCP-4.0 |

c[_]
    basically

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast