Thread: More Folders should Crunch too....

Xtreme Legend

More Folders should Crunch too....

So, you had a go at Folding and lets face it, at times it can be a real pain in the butt to get/keep things going....

Crunching seems to have thought of us guys that donate, thought about our needs too......Today, for example, my Yoggie hung so I've been about 8 hours without internet and what happened? Folding stopped with no work to do. Crunching on the other hand had given me enough work for everything to continue without a hitch.

I've yet to look at their forums but I can't help feeling that, with such a small detail already resolved to the benefit of all, it will be a nicer place to visit than FaH.....

So from me...Well done to the guys who do such work....certainly appreciated here

I guess I'd like to say thanks to Hotwaxisbad for his guide.. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=224817 Old gits like me need all the help they can get and this is one VERY good guide!! If I can do it anyone can!!

Will I continue folding? you betcha!! because Folding GPU and Crunching CPU works so well together I can have the best of both worlds

The Idea behind this thread, http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=225955 , is a good one so All you folders out there...take a look....give it a try.....it's a breath of fresh air

This post is, in part, duplicated in WCG

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

_
    This is what I do, run WCG on the cpu and F@H on the gpu.

I am Addicted!
    Same here!

Da Goose
    I believe many of us do...We are extreme.

i7-860 Farm with nVidia GPU's

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by DAK1640 View Post
    I believe many of us do...We are extreme.
    Judging by your 24 hr average

YOU are VERY extreme
    mike

ROADTRIP For my DAD 09-11-07 and MA 10-28-11

comhar a neartú agus a leathnú

Attack Dachshund
    Quote Originally Posted by mike047 View Post
    Judging by your 24 hr average

YOU are VERY extreme
    Dak is in the Top Alcohol Bracket... which means he burns a performance mixture of alcohol fuel (generally 40% methanol) instead of the more readily available octane 87 gas.

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    I would, but ATi cards all the way here
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

_
    Ati cards can be folded on too. They're just a bit slower that Nvidia though.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulsCollective View Post
    im MilkyWay, ever gets off thier ass and finishes up the new gpu crunching site, your ati cards will have tons of work. unless you can write a script to pound the servers for work. a 4870 will do over 50,000 ppd if you can get the servers to give you that much work.
    Its not overkill if it works.

(o.O)
    word to OldChap
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield @ 3.2GHz | Asus P5Q Deluxe mobo | 2x OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) | Sapphire 4870x2 | Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 10k RPM | Intel 120GB SSD | Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB 7200 RPM | Hitachi 2TB 7200 RPM | PCP&C 750W Power Supply |Cooler Master HAF932 | Windows 7 64-bit | Dell ULTRASHARP 2408WFP 24-inch Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor

Join Us in the XS World Community Grid Forum & Help Fight Cancer and Other Diseases

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulsCollective View Post
    One of the cards I fold on is a 4850. Does ok with a crash every once in awhile.

I should add that while your ATI will not produce as many points as an Nvidia you will climb thru the charts pretty fast as we have alot of inactive members. I only do 7k a day average and am in the top 20 producers. I also have a gtx 260.
    Last edited by PoppaGeek; 06-11-2009 at 02:28 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yup - I'm in - I was inspired by the threads and kinda tired of the F@H SMP bull...

"[crunching is] a minor service to humanity as a side effect of our collective hardware fetish" - Blauhung

Xtreme Cruncher
    Oddly I've been having good luck with F@H smps lately.
    Cooler Master HAF 942
    Sabertooth X79
    Win7 64
    3960X @ 4805 1.376 v-core
    32GB DDR3 1866 G.SKILL Ripjaws Z
    OCZ RevoDrive 3 series RVD3-FHPX4-120G PCI-E 120GB
    3 X 6T Raid 0 Hitachi Storage
    Themaltake Tough Power 1200
    1 HD 7970

F@H badge by xoqolat

_
    Welcome to the team Coo-Coo!

Xtreme Cruncher
    wfo you got your smp runing in linux correct my smps ran good in ubuntu no problems till i started playing with things in the manager then im in trouble i need to learn to leave things alone.

WCG Cruncher
    I just got my gtx280 started on folding. another good purpose, nice graphics, looking forward to geeking out on stats. Stuck on crunching wcg too

Distributed Computing: Making the world a better place, one work-unit at a time.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/index.jsp

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowwind View Post
    wfo you got your smp runing in linux correct my smps ran good in ubuntu no problems till i started playing with things in the manager then im in trouble i need to learn to leave things alone.
    LOL.. TLI ( Too little Info) Ya, I gave up on Win SMP long ago! It's a total POS!!! My last experience with it was uhmm... the Halloween race. Since I'm too lazy to figure out the Wine GPU setup I run Doz for GPUs and Linux in Vmware for SMPs. My bad for not clarifying the issue.
    Cooler Master HAF 942
    Sabertooth X79
    Win7 64
    3960X @ 4805 1.376 v-core
    32GB DDR3 1866 G.SKILL Ripjaws Z
    OCZ RevoDrive 3 series RVD3-FHPX4-120G PCI-E 120GB
    3 X 6T Raid 0 Hitachi Storage
    Themaltake Tough Power 1200
    1 HD 7970

F@H badge by xoqolat

Xtreme Cruncher
    i got my gpu s folding in wine how i got them to work i dont know but its working and i dont play with it lol. i thank shadowtester for the tips. i got one card folding in win7 for now im happy will be happier when my other cards come back and i can put up some good numbers.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by hotwaxisbad View Post
    Welcome to the team Coo-Coo!
    Thanks HWIB! It actually feels pretty good to spread the "love" around little bit instead of all my eggs in the same basket.

"[crunching is] a minor service to humanity as a side effect of our collective hardware fetish" - Blauhung

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by coo-coo-clocker View Post
    Thanks HWIB! It actually feels pretty good to spread the "love" around little bit instead of all my eggs in the same basket.