Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Six-core Nehalem coming to LGA 1366 this year

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    the problem is not developers not multi-threading games. Its that graphics hardware is so far behind CPU hardware the NO game is ever CPU limited unless you are playing at less than 1680x1050 on very powerful graphics hardware. This is true of even a dual core.
    Strategy games tend to be a lot more CPU intensive.

If I create enough units, I can easily lag even Red Alert 2 and Age of Empires 2 on my rig... Which is where I'd like to see them multithread.
    Main Machine:
    AMD FX8350 @ stock --- 16 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz --- Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 --- 2.0 TB Seagate

Miscellaneous Workstations for Code-Testing:
    Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- 32 GB DDR3 @ 1866 MHz --- Asus Z87-Plus --- 1.5 TB (boot) --- 4 x 1 TB + 4 x 2 TB (swap)

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by poke349 View Post
    Strategy games tend to be a lot more CPU intensive.

If I create enough units, I can easily Red Alert 2 and Age of Empires 2 to lag on 3.2GHz Core 2's... Which is where I'd like to see them multithread.
    well, lets revise it to not many games I was thinking in terms of graphically intensive games

Xtreme Enthusiast
    well, lets revise it to not many games I was thinking in terms of graphically intensive games
    Good call... Yes, even Crysis barely puts any load on the CPU when compared to an old strategy games with like 5000 units on the field...

And don't ask me why I'll have 5000+ units out at a time... Everyone has their ways of entertaining themselves.
    Main Machine:
    AMD FX8350 @ stock --- 16 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz --- Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 --- 2.0 TB Seagate

Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- 32 GB DDR3 @ 1866 MHz --- Asus Z87-Plus --- 1.5 TB (boot) --- 4 x 1 TB + 4 x 2 TB (swap)

Engineering The Xtreme
    Good call... Yes, even Crysis barely puts any load on the CPU when compared to an old strategy games with like 5000 units on the field...

And don't ask me why I'll have 5000+ units out at a time... Everyone has their ways of entertaining themselves.
    Its like when you use the cheat commands to spawn 8 boomers, smokers, hunters, and tanks at the same time right?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Its like when you use the cheat commands to spawn 8 boomers, smokers, hunters, and tanks at the same time right?

naaah.... That's WAAAAAAYYYYY TOOOOOOO SLOOOOWW...

Custom maps with triggers is a MUCH better way...

This is one of the reasons why I was swayed away from Starcraft and it's annoying 1640 unit limit...
    Main Machine:

Xtreme Enthusiast
    massively cpu limited game and awesome potential for huge mothaf-in armies...

Supreme Commander

totally epic game

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Clairvoyant129 View Post

Stick with your little dual cores and games, other people have better things to do.
    He specifically mentions he wants faster Quads and you then go and make snide comments about him advocating for Dual cores, what kind of behaviour is this?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by CraptacularOne View Post
    Yeah, six cores, 12 threads, 32nm...... and 2 games that will make any use of it....lol
    dont blame intel for making faster cpu's, blame games for being crap
    DFI P965-S/core 2 quad q6600@3.2ghz/4gb gskill ddr2 @ 800mhz cas 4/xfx gtx 260/ silverstone op650/thermaltake xaser 3 case/razer lachesis

Banned
    warcraft 3 puts my cpu on 100% load (p4) and lags in footman frenzy custom game while other games the gpu is on more load

as long as i see a affordable 1 i going to go buy to upgrade my i7 after summer

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    You guys know I don't game but last night for sheets and giggles I gave 3DMark06 a shot on the gainestown rig.
    Single 192 shader GTX260 and max I went was 670/1240 on the card..
    great graphics running at well over 100FPS so I'd guess this will game also..
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Banned
    Just to chime in on the whole 6 core 4 crunchers union or whatever it is but you cannot expect people to not raise an eyebrow when people who we all respect say stuff like,
    Quote Originally Posted by jcool View Post
    To all of you who don't need more cores and are happy with Dualies, fine - just keep out of people's way that are trying to make a difference by crunching.
    That is the nicest put down I've ever read lol.

So what am I getting to? Don't prod people and then be surprised when they react. [=

Now back to this 6 core beast - if a lot of people are crying with high temps on their 920s so I fear how hot these guys will be with a high oc.

Regarding games, Supreme Commander makes my computer scream in pain with a high unit cap. The computer will build 200 troops and then steamroll them through your base . . . . totally destroying my cpu.

Banned
    momi the temps probably will be more crazy leading too people going farther then Ln2 to get 1-4 kelvins to OC them, but of course most people wont

Xtreme Addict

i'm with you there!

i'm excited about this six-core, i've been waiting for this processor to make the transition to lga1366. but, if i had to throw a dart at the callander for a release date, i'd be aiming for november. i'm willing to bet that intel will want to work the kinks out of the 32mn process with this processor because there will be far less volume than the duel core + graphics cpu.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    You guys know I don't game but last night for sheets and giggles I gave 3DMark06 a shot on the gainestown rig.
    Single 192 shader GTX260 and max I went was 670/1240 on the card..
    great graphics running at well over 100FPS so I'd guess this will game also..
    Of course it will.

My dual-harpers with a 9800 GTX+ runs Crysis fine on high. (not max though...)
    Your dual X5560s with a 260 is better in every single aspect... except for memory quantity... which doesn't matter in this case.
    Main Machine:

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Of course it will.

My dual-harpers with a 9800 GTX+ runs Crysis fine on high. (not max though...)
    Your dual X5560s with a 260 is better in every single aspect... except for memory quantity... which doesn't matter in this case.
    My best at 06 on the gainestown with a single GTX260
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Addict
    Let me throw one interesting tidbit out there for those who know the world is still 1 and 2 threaded... Lynnfield has far improved scaling in turbo modes with fewer cores. It doesn't take much to think that if you put 6 cores @ 3.33 on 32nm with a 130w TDP imagine if you could scale that down to 2 or 3 cores running at 4.0+ when the threads get reduced.

That said, let me highlight what a dirty PC world we live in now. Your GAME might run on 2 threads, but your sound, video driver, and background tasks can all get cores if they are available. Gone are the days where the only background app was a single antivirus program. Modern PC's might have a dozen or more apps sitting the background for chat, firewall, printer utilities, wireless, bluetooth, FRAPS, and so forth. Even high end USB parts, gaming mice, and such, use some cycles. I don't see this trend slowing down. Now imagine what such a chip would be like 2 years from now.

So just some food for thought before thinking there are zero uses for 6 core machines.

As for availability, since EE chips tend to sell in low quantities anyway, it's not impossible to imagine that the EE Gulftown shows up in a few months and the lower end 920/950 replacements come sometime next year.

$.02

ps: Also allow for the potential that the memory controller might have been refined somewhat. Would be funny if the EE's could do 1600 natively eh?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    My best at 06 on the gainestown with a single GTX260

I'd run the same bench right now to see how they'd compare with yours... but my rig is in the middle of a week-long code-testing session @ 100% cpu and 95% ram...
    And it won't be done until Friday...
    Main Machine:

Quote Originally Posted by jcool View Post
    To all of you who don't need more cores and are happy with Dualies, fine - just keep out of people's way that are trying to make a difference by crunching.
    Sort of ironic that unless your computer(s) is solar powered, you'd be making our world a better place by turning your stuff off when it isn't used, instead of running it at full blast. Keep telling yourself you're doing us a benevolent service by burning more coal or using more uranium to run your systems for a trivial cause that's yielded no appreciable benefit to society.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmore View Post
    Why would you even consider the 950 if you already have a 920?
    For no objective reason. Subjective reasons are that it has a better stepping(D0, instead of C0/C1) and it OCs more than my 920 although I would not notice any difference between my current 24/7 4.2GHz and 4.6GHz with the 950.

Sounds good, but knowing Intel they would charge an arm and leg for this. And hopefully AMD will release one soon after as well, since they already have a 6 core server CPU they will most likely make a desktop variant as well.
    AMD Threadripper 12 core 1920x CPU OC at 4Ghz | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM | Gigabyte 11GB GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme GPU | SilverStone Strider Platinum 1000W Power Supply | Crucial 1050GB MX300 SSD | 4TB Western Digital HDD | 60" Samsung JU7000 4K UHD TV at 3840x2160

Life's Replay
    Quote Originally Posted by chris.c View Post
    Sort of ironic that unless your computer(s) is solar powered, you'd be making our world a better place by turning your stuff off when it isn't used, instead of running it at full blast. Keep telling yourself you're doing us a benevolent service by burning more coal or using more uranium to run your systems for a trivial cause that's yielded no appreciable benefit to society.
    When half your family has died of cancer, you stop caring so much about the environment.
    Self-proclaimed and convincing.

Intel i5 760 | Prolimatech Genesis CPU Cooler | EVGA GTX 480 | Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme Plus II GPU Cooler | Corsair Vengeance 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600 | Crucial C300 64GB SSD | 5 TB+ of storage | Corsair Obsidian 550d | Corsair HX850

13" Macbook Pro

Nikon D90 | Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR | Nikon 35mm f/1.8G | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 Macro HSM | Nikon SB-900 | Braun 5000

Twitter | Life's Replay

Back from the Dead
    Quote Originally Posted by inCore View Post
    When half your family has died of cancer, you stop caring so much about the environment.
    Yeah... still, I am working to set up some solar panels that can power the rigs. And if I ever build a home for myself it will have huge solar power capacity, a basement for all the rigs with valves to dump their heat into the heating system, and no conventional central heating based on burning oil or gas
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Xtreme Addict
    +1

People don't care too much about the enviroment when playing games with CF/SLI (sucking power like mad). Here is new slogan: "Reduce FSAA/AF - save trees"
    Last edited by kl0012; 06-11-2009 at 03:56 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I have had 5 people dying of cancer. Including my mother. However alot of people die of cancer due to smoking, particles from cars and coal/petro power plants etc.

So for me the environment comes before. Also due to changes in the environment kills even more. However we still need to cure cancer or find some vaccine.

The 32nm 6 Core should also take less space and use same or less power than a 45nm i7. So its a bonus all the way around. Nomatter if you fold or not.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Xtreme Member
    Seriously... I don't believe bit.tech anymore in regards to i7 news.

That's just trash-rumors just to improve click-counter.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast