Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Six-core Nehalem coming to LGA 1366 this year

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by SNiiPE_DoGG View Post
    Does anyone think its possible intel will put a strangle on the retail channels of the xeon to keep them out of consumer hands??
    No....
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Back from the Dead
    Hehe, I have been saving a spot in my budget for Gulftowns for months now - I guess early ES will be out sooner rather than later

To all of you who don't need more cores and are happy with Dualies, fine - just keep out of people's way that are trying to make a difference by crunching.
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by perkam View Post
    Friends, Romans, Countrymen, I have not come to praise Phenom, but to bury him

Perkam
    How is a high end part going to bury Phenom(which is already dead, I presume you mean PhII)?

Intel will do far more damage to AMD with Lynnfield and non-Hex 32nm variants.

Live Long And Overclock
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Boga View Post
    How is a high end part going to bury Phenom(which is already dead, I presume you mean PhII)?

Intel will do far more damage to AMD with Lynnfield and non-Hex 32nm variants.
    Fixed in the original quote

Perkam

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Ugh. Buy a 975 now and have it obsolete by Christmas. This hobby is getting to be too expensive

Engineering The Xtreme
    sell 975 at Christmas and get new EE for 200-300 dollars more investment....

Banned
    How many cores will vantage scale with?

Live Long And Overclock
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    Ugh. Buy a 975 now and have it obsolete by Christmas. This hobby is getting to be too expensive
    If MM hears you say that he'll come get ya

Imagine going from Dual X54 Harpertowns to dual W55 Nehalems and onwards to Dual Gulftown

Perkam

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It will be funny to see on many benchmarks(particularly gaming) this 6 core won't be any faster than the i975, let alone the Quad they could have brought out instead.
    Are you aware that 32nm + turbo mode will give appreciable gains in single/2-threaded applications? It will be definitely quite a bit faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by freecableguy
    the idiots out number us 10,000:1

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacky View Post
    Are you aware that 32nm + turbo mode will give appreciable gains in single/2-threaded applications? It will be definitely quite a bit faster.
    I wasn't thinking of Turbo mode at the time, but you will notice but 3 posts later in this thread I brought it up.

However what is a Hex core Westmere likely to come out at? I suspect 3Ghz give or take 133Mhz, so unless the Turbo mode is even more aggressive than Lynnefield(and I suspect it won't be), then you still are not going to see much if any gain.

Clearly a higher clocked Westmere Quad would deliver notably better performance for 90%+ of desktop users, but I guess this is a server/workstation product, so desktop users can eat shat for now.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Gulftown exists..
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

I am Xtreme
    Wonder if it's going to offer much higher overclocks, since it's 32nm after all.
    6 cores under 100% load produce roughly 50% more heat than 4 cores (obviously), so doesn't look like these chips are going to produce less heat. And i7 requires very serious cooling already. Not much point to get more than 2 cores for an average user / gamer nowadays. Going over 4 is nearly pointless...

Quote Originally Posted by inCore View Post
    Once I started crunching and photo editing, things changed.
    Not using Photoshop CS4 I guess? GPU acceleration is really sweet. Probably gives bigger benefit than additional cores.
    Last edited by zalbard; 06-10-2009 at 08:12 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Wonder if it's going to offer much higher overclocks, since it's 32nm after all.
    6 cores under 100% load produce roughly 50% more heat than 4 cores (obviously), so doesn't look like these chips are going to produce less heat. And i7 requires very serious cooling already. Not much point to get more than 2 cores for an average user / gamer nowadays. Going over 4 is nearly pointless...
    50% more cores doesn't mean 50% more power consumption. Number of mem/CSI channels was not increased and uncore is about 30% of core size.
    Second - 32 nm. should reduce power consumption so it is possible that 6-core 32 nm. Nehalem will consume the same as 4-core 45 nm. Nehalem (or even less).

Not using Photoshop CS4 I guess? GPU acceleration is really sweet. Probably gives bigger benefit than additional cores.
    As I know gpu acceleration in CS4 is limited to resize/rotate and some 3D functions.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    xeons are also way more expensive then their comparative consumer part... like 3 times as much...

Xtreme Addict
    When they first come out will they be 45nm or 32nm?
    EVGA X58 Classified
    Intel i7 965
    Corsair Dominator 1600mhz 3x2gb
    Nvidia GTX 295

V3 Xeons coming soon!

yes, due to 32nm process
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaskar View Post
    When they first come out will they be 45nm or 32nm?
    32nm
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Gulftown exists..
    Do you have one?

Xtreme Addict
    However what is a Hex core Westmere likely to come out at? I suspect 3Ghz give or take 133Mhz, so unless the Turbo mode is even more aggressive than Lynnefield(and I suspect it won't be), then you still are not going to see much if any gain.
    I wouldn't be surprise if Gulftown came at higher clocks than current Bloomfield chips in the same 130 Watt TDP.

Quote Originally Posted by orangekiwii View Post
    xeons are also way more expensive then their comparative consumer part... like 3 times as much...
    That's not true, just look at the single socket Xeon version of the Core i7 920, it's only about 10% more expensive at most.

Gulftown exists..
    What are you hinting at?

Do you have one?
    Was wondering the same thing . I'm sure they already exist, but can Intel mass produce them already?
    "When in doubt, C-4!" -- Jamie Hyneman

Silverstone TJ-09 Case | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Intel Core i5 750 CPU | ASUS P7P55D PRO Mobo | OCZ 4GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon 5850 GPU | Intel X-25M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB HDD | Windows 7 x64 | NEC EA23WMi 23" Monitor |Auzentech X-Fi Forte Soundcard | Creative T3 2.1 Speakers | AudioTechnica AD900 Headphone |

I am Xtreme
    UP xeons cost exactly the same as normal desktop versions, maybe a little premium -> i7 920 ~235€, Xeon UP W3320 ~255€ (last week they where the same, guess the low dollar pays of again )

I am Xtreme
    Xeon w5580 (3.2 GHz) - > $1600;
    Xeon x5570 (2.93 GHz) - > $1386;
    Xeon x5560 (2.8 GHz) - > $1172;
    Xeon x5550 (2.66 GHz) - > $958;
    Xeon 5540 (2.53 GHz) - > $744;
    Xeon e5530 (2.4 GHz) - > $530;
    Xeon e5520 (2.26 GHz) - > $373;
    Xeon e5506 (2.13 GHz) - > $266;
    Xeon e5504 (2.0 GHz) - > $224;
    Xeon e5502 - > $188.

The Last processor, Xeon e5502, have only two cores, and rest include four physical cores. For the single-processor systems will be proposed the following versions :

Xeon w3570 (3.2 GHz) - > $999;
    Xeon 3540 (2.93 GHz) - > $562;
    Xeon w3520 (2.66 GHz) - > $284.

The only X58's worth their prices LOL!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813182186

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131378

Stays sold out from so many folks buying them!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819117182

In stock.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819117184

Next model up not worth the price for 133MHz more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    UP xeons cost exactly the same as normal desktop versions, maybe a little premium -> i7 920 ~235€, Xeon UP W3320 ~255€ (last week they where the same, guess the low dollar pays of again )
    Is that not a contradiction? Oh and that little premium is ~8%.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Do you have one?
    no, but lets say I'm looking forward to july this year..

I am Xtreme
    Hehehe!
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Addict
    Tell us more, you meanie . Will you be seeing an ES by then or what can we expect in July?
    "When in doubt, C-4!" -- Jamie Hyneman

Silverstone TJ-09 Case | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Intel Core i5 750 CPU | ASUS P7P55D PRO Mobo | OCZ 4GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon 5850 GPU | Intel X-25M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB HDD | Windows 7 x64 | NEC EA23WMi 23" Monitor |Auzentech X-Fi Forte Soundcard | Creative T3 2.1 Speakers | AudioTechnica AD900 Headphone |

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] riptide View Post
    Is that not a contradiction? Oh and that little premium is ~8%.
    no cause last week they where cheaper then 920s.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast