Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will My Power Supplys Run on 220v?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Got all the breakers today, a new A/C unit 24,500 BTU and the materials to run a new line in for a 220v plug for the A/C. By time we made a few stops and got back it was the hottest part of the day and I was not getting in the attic and my buddy had some other things to take care of. Maybe we will get them changed out tomorrow...

Xtreme Cruncher
    i got 2 wood lathes in my cellar that are 220v are you using any special plug for your psu s im wanting to go 220v also. hey if i can save 5 bucks a month and put it in my pocket its all the better for me my lathes are going to my shop out back the electric bill is normally 1500 hundred a month but that is all 3 phase power. its not your normal wood working equipment.

Xtreme Legend
    Ok then lets talk safety...110 and 240 volts are what are used in uk normally and 415v when it's industrial.

110v is normally used on building sites and that is not what you might call Full on 110v but comes from a centre tapped transformer with centre as earth so you might say the potential is max + or - 50v rms. Why? because it is the voltage potential that overcomes the resistance of the body to cause a shock. so standing in a puddle in this instance there is only 50v to earth so the shock if you get one should be less severe.

You guys who have 100v or thereabouts (we all get slightly higher or lower depending on how much load is on the grid) will get between supply and neutral the same as the above tansformer but you will also get that potential to earth....remember it is the potential that overcomes the body's resistance.

moving on up to the 200-240 volt range this potential starts to become lethal more often even when all othervariables have not changed (hot day person sweats and lowers resistance of body contact) I don't know how you derive this voltage (is it across 2 phases?) there but here 220-240v is one phase so again either between line and neutral or line and earth the voltage potential is the same

Our 3 phase is typically 415v derived as the description from 3 240v phases 120deg out of phase for us that means phase to earth is 240v phase to phase is 415v.

I've had a 415v shock and let me tell you you really REALLY Don't want to go there.

The last consideration about getting shocked by ac voltage is that the alternating current can have a detrimental effect to your muscles making them expand and contract rapidly which can mean you cannot control them or let go ...oh and remember your heart is a muscle.

AND for those that think it is the current that kills.....Forget about the fact we have been talking alternating current for a moment and pick a number at random to be the resistance of the human body then, using the formula v=I*R or V/R =I you can say YES I was right......and at the same time ask yourself Which voltage you would prefer to be shocked by!!

Have a nice day....and be careful with the electric string ......it can get you good

You will find better and more technical explanations if you look but I think I've mostly covered it

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Cruncher
    OC i got a 2 phase converter in the cellar i started my business down in the cellar about 15 years ago every thing is ground fault wired if that helps any i got
    a master electrician coming in next week to put in a overhead bus stop and a drop line installed for a new cnc machining center out in the shop so i will wait
    for him and see what he thinks and yes 420 does hurt if it wasnt for the wrench i had in my hand i would be dead i think it threw me 6 ft backwards at my fathers old machine shop i was 15 years old then and i will never forget it.
    Last edited by shadowwind; 06-11-2009 at 09:59 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12