Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using Swiftech rads on an OCed i7?

Xtreme Member

Anyone using Swiftech rads on an OCed i7?

Hello All,
    Just curious if anyone out there is using Swiftech radiators on their overclocked i7. What version are you using and what temps are you guys getting @ what overclock on what voltages? Any help is appreciated. Oh and also what blocks you are using on the CPU.

Thanks,
    Eddie

I'm also very interested in finding out this info. Especially, the difference in performance between Swiftech and some of the other rads.
    New Build
    EVGA 760 Classified / i7 920 D0 / 3x1GB DDR3-2000 Dominator / 2x4890 XFX Radeon 1GB / 74GB-150GB Raptor & 3-1TB Hitachi / LG BLU-RAY Writer 8x / WC (coming) / Corsair HX1000W / Dell UltraSharp 3008WFP

BlackColossus
    DFI Expert / Opteron 170 / 2800 MHz @ 1.45v / 2x1GB DDR-500 Ballistix / 2xXFX GeForce 9800GT 512MB / SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme / 1TB Hitachi / Plextor Dual Layer SATA / Zalman CNPS9500 / Thermaltake Fan controller / OCZ GameXStream 700W / Thermaltake Armor

Xtreme Addict
    I am. This is kind of pointless a pointless thread as there will be such a massive difference in each of the setups there is no way you could compare them. It is much better to look at radiator tests. On average you will see about 5-10% difference in temps when compared to a thick rad depending on the fans. That translates to 2-5C.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by faster3200 View Post
    I am. This is kind of pointless a pointless thread as there will be such a massive difference in each of the setups there is no way you could compare them. It is much better to look at radiator tests. On average you will see about 5-10% difference in temps when compared to a thick rad depending on the fans. That translates to 2-5C.
    10% on an i7 is more like 7-8c.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    I don't care, I'm running out of popcorn waiting for the results..

Xtreme Member
    I am just really curious if anyone is using them on a i7. I have read a few posts that say a swiftech (even the mcr-320) couldn't handle a overclocked i7. I am planning on using 2 mcr-220's, and I think these should be more than enough.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Camaroz06 View Post
    I am just really curious if anyone is using them on a i7. I have read a few posts that say a swiftech (even the mcr-320) couldn't handle a overclocked i7. I am planning on using 2 mcr-220's, and I think these should be more than enough.
    I'm sure tons of people are using swiftech rads on their i7's and your pair of 220's should work well.

Xtreme Member
    MCR220, Fuzion v2, fans that come with kit @ 7v, mcp655 @ max. 1,35v 4.3ghz, +-65c fully loaded

Without ht. Forgot that.
    Last edited by I34z1k; 06-09-2009 at 05:50 PM.
    920 c0
    6gig Mushkin 1600 6-7-6-18 (Many thanks to TheGoatEater)
    285gtx
    Dfi x58 t3eh6

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Camaroz06 View Post
    Where ever you read that is wrong. Unless you are using some really wimpy fans an MCR320 will be more than enough.

From Martin's tests:

An OCed i7 is around 250W, usually less, unless you are really pushing it. That means using a single MCR320 with the weakest fans on that graph you would still have above average (10C delta) performance.

Quote Originally Posted by hellcamino View Post
    10% on an i7 is more like 7-8c.
    To correct myself it is actually 6-14% when compared to a PA 120.3. That is actually a comparable difference between using a shroud and not using one.
    Last edited by faster3200; 06-09-2009 at 02:38 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by I34z1k View Post
    MCR220, Fuzion v2, fans that come with kit @ 7v, mcp655 @ max. 1,35v 4.3ghz, +-65c fully loaded
    You must either have the coolest running i7 on the planet or are using Firefox as a load.

Xtreme Addict
    It really depends on what your OC aim is, and how lucky you get in vcore requirement and TDP variance chip per chip on i7.

I have a PA 120.3 with 6 fans in push/pull with shroud at 1500 rpms (scythe sflex F on rheo which is loudest fan I will accept), and my i7 is prime 13 hrs stable at 4.4Ghz with 1.34 vcore, I can easily run it at 4.5 or 4.6 with better cooling, but there is also diminishing returns with rads.

At 4.5 ghz and 1.39 vcore or 4.6 with 1.43, where I would like to be, according to everest TDP read from chip at load is 242W and 277W respectively, which coincides with load/idle kill-o-watt meter reading diff. My delta is 6.7C from air intake to water at 4.5ghz load settings with ambient 25C, water temp is 31.7, but because of extruding air to bottom, ambients increase to 27+ and water to 33.7+ over time. Load temps at 4.5ghz are 90+C, and 4.6 near 100C and not acceptable. So I settle for 4.4ghz loading at 84C max after 13 hrs of load.

So for me if I got a quad 120 rad or quad 140 for next build, so with same fans, I could get temp delta air to water down to ~4C and that is 2-3C lower. Also need a case that allows cool air to be taken in one side, and expelled out other, and does not increase local ambients (which I can prevent in my room with correct case), and drop my ambients to continuous 25C and gain another 2C. Better heatblock another 2C.....bottom line, little gains add up. Then i could run at 4.5ghz, as my cpu will do.

So I am not even happy with 120.3 on my core i7, that will be relegated to vid cards, and will get a quad rad ? 140 quad or 120...so again, it really depends on what you are aiming for and how tolerant you are to fan noise. But if I had to do over I would aim for ~4C with an i7, though if you are going to overclock to 4.2 or less, then 6-8C delta air to water might not bother you.

As far as I am concerned, i would use martins graphs, which is very close to what I get, and plan on delta from their. Once you get down to 3-4C delta air to water, you start getting into diminishing returns and loud fans.

But 2 x 220's you would be fine with, until you get up around 4.3 and higher, and even then it will depend on whether you get a hot chip like my i950 that uses 15% more watts for same load/settings and corresponding higher temps than i940.

Banned
    You see, this is where people totally fail in their logic department.

Thicker rads beat skinny rads. Rad surface area significantly [spanks multiple times] a thicker rad. The difference with a 500W load with 1600rpm fans between a 120.3 and a MCR320 was about 2-3C. Now I can't remember which test I got these numbers from but I think it was an earlier HES test.

So a MCR320 is fine, heck with 2000rpm fans a MCR220 would do the job. This of course is completely subjective. I think 65C load is fine. Others think 45C is the utter maximum. People have also totally exaggerated the heat produced by i7. We talk about doubling rads but the air cooling guys didn't double the amount of fins and heatpipes did they.

EDIT I found the graphs I was referring to. Now all 120.3 and Feser 360 owners will dispute this but you'll see your rads doing wonders with even bigger heat loads.

2.5C difference at 1600rpm. [573.1W load]
    Last edited by MomijiTMO; 06-09-2009 at 05:07 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    I havent seen many OCed i7's at 4.3ghz and beyond running at 65C. But here is mine at 4500 running at 88C after just 5 mins, with linx it runs 95+C, on PA 120.3 with 6 1500 rpm fans.

Xtreme Addict
    I wonder how many people who doubt the worth/value of the thicker and generally more expensive radiators have ever actually owned one? I own thermochil, swiftech and feser radiators and the only one not in use is my MCR220 as I haven't sold it yet, the MCR320 I sold some time ago.

FWIW I cool my 920 at it's current 4.4ghz using a tfc 480 with 4 Panaflo ultra high speeds at 5v on a cpu only loop, my loaded temps run up to about 74c.

Banned
    That's hot hot hot lol.

Then again, with SMT you get psycho heat loads.

Xtreme Member
    You must either have the coolest running i7 on the planet or are using Firefox as a load.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...rchid=14549199

I recognized your nick. The first 6 posts there are all rude, blunt and downright childish.

Anyway, sorry guys! I'm quite off the ball today. Been doped up on meds. I forgot to include HT was disabled. My bad
    920 c0
    285gtx
    Dfi x58 t3eh6

Xtreme Addict

I recognized your nick. The first 6 posts there are all rude, blunt and downright childish.

Anyway, sorry guys! I'm quite off the ball today. Been doped up on meds. I forgot to include HT was disabled. My bad
    I see you ran up to edit your previous post to include the fact that you have HT off huh?

That's a little more like it although I don't understand what the point is of buying an i7 and overclocking it only to cripple half of it's power.

Xtreme Member
    Everyone can see I editted. I also included that I forgot to. Layoff.

I'm sure you could start a thread like that in the Intel section, but this is the liquid cooling subforum.
    920 c0
    285gtx
    Dfi x58 t3eh6

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by MomijiTMO View Post
    SNIP!
    Yes, thank you. It seems like every now and then this forum just decides to revert back to the old logic of thickness = way better. This is not the case and has been disproven time and time again. Thicker rads are better, but not significantly so (depending on your definition). For price/performance you can't beat a Swiftech rad.

I wonder how many people who doubt the worth/value of the thicker and generally more expensive radiators have ever actually owned one? I own thermochil, swiftech and feser radiators and the only one not in use is my MCR220 as I haven't sold it yet, the MCR320 I sold some time ago.

FWIW I cool my 920 at it's current 4.4ghz using a tfc 480 with 4 Panaflo ultra high speeds at 5v on a cpu only loop, my loaded temps run up to about 74c.
    I do and have owned thicker rads, but I don't see how this is relevant. All you need to do is look at the testing results to see just how closely they compare. The problem with your temps isn't that you don't have enough rad power, but that the fans you are using are super low RPM @5V and thus low pressure. The Feser rads also have a higher fpi than other low CFM fans and thus perform worse at that RPM than most would.
    Last edited by faster3200; 06-09-2009 at 06:03 PM.

Banned
    Everyone can see I editted. I also included that I forgot to. Layoff.

I'm sure you could start a thread like that in the Intel section, but this is the liquid cooling subforum.
    Don't let him get to ya .

Quote Originally Posted by faster3200 View Post
    For price/performance you can't beat a Swiftech rad.
    Or just buy 2 or even 3 [around same price as Feser] and I'm fairly sure you would have better performance BUT no where to put your rads lol.

Xtreme Member
    @MomijiTMO - I'm all good.

And man, that's why you put your pc underneath your desk, so you can daisy chain your loop to rads all around the sides!
    920 c0
    285gtx
    Dfi x58 t3eh6

Xtreme Addict

That link doesn't go anywhere for me and I would really like to see your results. Also, don't worry about HT. Most people disable it since it actually decreases performance in the majority of games.

Or just buy 2 or even 3 [around same price as Feser] and I'm fairly sure you would have better performance BUT no where to put your rads lol.
    That is what modding is for . I have an MCR320 + 2 MCR 220s in my rig currently. I will add a BI I just bought as soon as I can figure out what to do with my HDs.

Banned
    What's in your rig? Is that just a cpu loop?

Xtreme Member
    I will be able to screen some results in about a week? Came home from varsity and my rig's up there. I can say ambient was around 10c. But for certain, @ 4.3ghz (205x21) temps didn't go over 65c loaded.
    920 c0
    285gtx
    Dfi x58 t3eh6

Xtreme Addict
    What's in your rig? Is that just a cpu loop?
    Yes, it is currently a CPU only loop since my last block broke and I have college and art habits to feed. I guess it also doesn't help that I spend >$200/month on parking. If/when I can afford a block and have nothing better to do with the money it will become a CPU+GPU loop. All rads have 3000RPM UK and Deltas .

I will be able to screen some results in about a week? Came home from varsity and my rig's up there. I can say ambient was around 10c. But for certain, @ 4.3ghz (205x21) temps didn't go over 65c loaded.
    10C ambient? In Africa? I live in Washington State (right next to Canada) and my ambient at night with my Window open is >20C.

EDIT/Update to Momiji post below me:
    D=

Talk about overkill cpu loop lol.
    I do what I gots to do for a 2C delta. Also, I just had them lying around so why wouldn't I use them?
    Last edited by faster3200; 06-09-2009 at 06:18 PM.

Banned
    D=

Talk about overkill cpu loop lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast