Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD to release core unlock blocking microcode - Gigabyte fights back!

Muslim Overclocker

AMD to release core unlock blocking microcode - Gigabyte fights back!

Sorry about the title

While meeting with Gigabyte at Computex, we were let in on a little bit of information regarding AMD's unlock-block for new Phenom II CPUs.

As many already know, it's possible to unlock the disabled cores on recent Phenom II processors, allowing you to get up to 4 cores working. Many who have tried this say that they gain some considerable speed, but there's a risk. The cores are disabled for a reason: they don't work properly. Because of this, AMD will, for example, sell a 4-core processor at 2-cores, for a much cheaper price.

AMD announced that it would release new microcode for motherboard BIOS updates that will disable the core-unlocking feature, preventing people from going to 4-cores if they purchased say a dual-core Phenom II.

The solution is not to upgrade your motherboard's BIOS if you have a board that can unlock cores.

But what if your motherboard maker releases BIOS updates that add or fix features? You would have to choose. Do you want fixes and improvements or do you want to stick with the ability to unlock CPU cores?

Gigabyte says you don't have to on its motherboards with Dual-BIOS technology.

Essentially, Gigabyte said that it will store the old microcode in the secondary BIOS chip, and allow you to do normal BIOS updates on the primary chip. Does this mean that you can't have a backup firmware of your latest BIOS should the first chip corrupt? Gigabyte told us no. The company has upgraded its BIOS chips to be able to store extra information.

The secondary BIOS chip will still backup your BIOS as usual, but have room for the old AMD microcode. When you update your BIOS, your system will boot using the new BIOS code but it will be injected with the old AMD microcode, allowing you to continue to unlock your CPU cores.

Kudos to Gigabyte for this feature.
    Tomshardware

My watercooling experience

Water
    Scythe Gentle Typhoons 120mm 1850RPM
    Thermochill PA120.3 Radiator
    Enzotech Sapphire Rev.A CPU Block
    Laing DDC 3.2
    XSPC Dual Pump Reservoir
    Primochill Pro LRT Red 1/2"
    Bitspower fittings + water temp sensor

Rig
    E8400 | 4GB HyperX PC8500 | Corsair HX620W | ATI HD4870 512MB

I see what I see, and you see what you see. I can't make you see what I see, but I can tell you what I see is not what you see. Truth is, we see what we want to see, and what we want to see is what those around us see. And what we don't see is... well, conspiracies.

Tyler Durden
    AMD is gonna be pissed.
    Formerly XIP, now just P.

Xtreme CCIE
    Sweet.

That's a feather in Gigabyte's hat.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

I am Xtreme
    i think amd may be more scared about cpuz reading them as legit quadcores, and less scared about gigabyte keeping it real with the consumer. if i were gonna try and sell a pc as a legit quadcore (even though its duel), would it be worth the hassle to use gigabytes solution for that extra few bucks?

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Oh wow.. that is engineering awesomeness and at the same time a slap in the face to AMD.

Xtreme Addict
    I keep telling myself my next board will be a Gigabyte, I think this just sealed the deal.
    i3 2100, MSI H61M-E33. 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws.
    MSI GTX 460 Twin Frozr II. 1TB Caviar Blue.
    Corsair HX 620, CM 690, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Xtreme Addict
    Very Nice... Gigabyte it is then Especially since there isn't an or choice
    " Business is Binary, your either a 1 or a 0, alive or dead." - Gary Winston ^^

Asus rampage III formula,i7 980xm, H70, Silverstone Ft02, Gigabyte Windforce 580 GTX SLI, Corsair AX1200, intel x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb, hp zr30w, 12gb corsair vengeance

Rig 2
    i7 980x ,h70, Antec Lanboy Air, Samsung md230x3 ,Saphhire 6970 Xfired, Antec ax1200w, x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb,12gb Corsair Vengence MSI Big Bang Xpower

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by EnJoY View Post
    AMD is gonna be pissed.
    Don't think so, sales of the CPUs went up quite a bit when people heard about the posibility of unlocking the CPU, great way to gain or keep market share.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Although I only used the feature once to test, I very much appreciate having the option that Gigabyte has put in their latest BIOS versions,.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by metro.cl View Post
    Don't think so, sales of the CPUs went up quite a bit when people heard about the posibility of unlocking the CPU, great way to gain or keep market share.
    It's marketing genius. At this point what do they have to lose. You want a higher OC guaranteed for 4 cores you pay for it. If not take a roll of the dice and if you get something that unlocks or not either way you got it at a good price. I think they just want to gain some more of the ground they lost more than anything.
    i3 2100, MSI H61M-E33. 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws.
    MSI GTX 460 Twin Frozr II. 1TB Caviar Blue.
    Corsair HX 620, CM 690, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Tyler Durden
    Quote Originally Posted by metro.cl View Post
    I agree with you, but clearly, by them releasing the micro code to block it, they don't want people to be doing this for one reason or another.
    Formerly XIP, now just P.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    soon, there will be a lot of company follow dual bios suite
    lolz
    Main Rig:
    Processor & Motherboard:AMD Ryzen5 1400 ' Gigabyte B450M-DS3H
    Random Access Memory Module:Adata XPG DDR4 3000 MHz 2x8GB
    Graphic Card:XFX RX 580 4GB
    Power Supply Unit:FSP AURUM 92+ Series PT-650M
    Storage Unit:Crucial MX 500 240GB SATA III SSD
    Processor Heatsink Fan:AMD Wraith Spire RGB
    Chasis:Thermaltake Level 10GTS Black

Xtreme Member
    Hmm... so AMD doesn't want the cores to be unlocked?

Actually, there are a lot of people think that's their secret marketing.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    AMD shouldn't be playing hard to get, they've got an inferior product speedwise in the CPU desktop segment at the moment, should try to grab as much market share as they can, to make sure when they have better chips to fight competitor offerings, they have a solid ground to work on.

Xtreme Addict
    AMD has an amazing products....

Enthusiasts LOVES Phenom II x2/x3 due to unlocking, people are buying several of these for tweaking and unlocking. This is actually giving AMD marketshares, even if its not much.

They shouldn't do this But I can't say I don't understand AMDs point of view...
    SweClockers.com

CPU: Phenom II X4 955BE
    Clock: 4200MHz 1.4375v
    Memory: Dominator GT 2x2GB 1600MHz 6-6-6-20 1.65v
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
    GPU: HD 5770

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartidiot89 View Post
    AMD has an amazing products....

Enthusiasts LOVES Phenom II x2/x3 due to unlocking, people are buying several of these for tweaking and unlocking. This is actually giving AMD marketshares, even if its not much.

They shouldn't do this But I can't say I don't understand AMDs point of view...
    This isn't for the enthusiast but the person who want a quad on the cheap. Go to places like slickdeals, redflagdeals, and they all want more performance for nothing and are talking about this unlocking cores thing.

E.g a quad core system for 500 dollars is not possible without some method like this. They are the type of people willing to get a crap power supply, crap motherboards if they can get higher end main components like videocard and cpu.

People who are heavy overclockers, know that having a possible defect in a core is going to limit them way way too much. Also what the point in having a 70 dollar CPU cooler when your cpu might run into the defect and have a crap overclock or none entirely.

There are some enthusiast who of course like these chip because they are so cheap and if they ruin them during an overclock, no big deal. But anyone going for a record is going to get something with the best binning possible. Also i imagine they are going to overclock them at the none unlock settings, since they want the mhz.

i understand AMD fully on this issue. Their margins are paper thin as it is. They want as many people as possible buying the more expensive processor, not the cheaper salvaged chip that they barely make any money on.

Xtreme Addict
    gigabyte earned some brownie points in my book. sure all the other guys will probably follow now and all will be the same. and sure i might not get a gigabyte if i were to build one of these guys (assuming the others followed suit). but bottom line is as long as core2 is king, it's what i'm stickin with.

e6400 from 3 years ago at 3.6ghz still beats out new rollouts that are merely rehashes? hell yeah
    E8400 8x500=4000 | ABIT IP35-E
    2x2GB Tracer PC2-6400 1:1 500MHz 5-5-5-15 2.0V
    Galaxy 8800GT 800/2000/1100 1.3V | 80GB X25-M G2 + 1.5TB 7200.11 | XFiXG
    Fuzion | MCW60 | DDC2+Petra | Coolrad22T+BIP1

Merom 13x133=1733 1MB L2 0.950V

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by EnJoY View Post
    AMD is gonna be pissed.
    lol by the sounds of it .... I'd say it doesnt make much difference what they think lol heheh

nice feature for sure but unfortunately many people expecting fully working quads will be disappointed as there is a reason why they are locking cores guys

good luck though....there is nothing better in this world then freebies
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    lol by the sounds of it .... I'd say it doesnt make much difference what they think lol heheh

nice feature for sure but unfortunately many people expecting fully working quads will be disappointed as there is a reason why they are locking cores guys

good luck though....there is nothing better in this world then freebies
    Plus it's only right to push everything you can out of your purchased hardware :P

You will probably find most of the CPU's will be unstable, otherwise why would
    they bother making them into Duals.

Then again, you might find loads of them great, in which case, excellent
    you just got two free cores.

Great idea by gigabyte though.

all outta gum
    This is old news, Gigabyte has had dual microcode selectable in BIOS for quite some time already (on MA770T-UD3P and other AM3 motherbords).
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

Xtreme Addict
    I'm not touching Giagabyte again even if they can turn dualcore into hexacore.
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

Xtreme Legend
    if amd really wanted this to stop they would (and can) force their partners to use this.

but why would they? they sell a dual core cpu at the price of a dual core, they get rid of their broken inventory, they get marketing value, their sales numbers increase
    they do lose some people buying unlocked cpu instead of quad core, i doubt that's a lot of people

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by W1zzard View Post
    if amd really wanted this to stop they would (and can) force their partners to use this.

but why would they? they sell a dual core cpu at the price of a dual core, they get rid of their broken inventory, they get marketing value, their sales numbers increase
    they do lose some people buying unlocked cpu instead of quad core, i doubt that's a lot of people
    I would say that if amd really wanted this to stop they would cut broken cores in a way that it can't be unlocked at all. (As Intel does). Especially after X3 got publicity...

Xtreme Addict
    I'm not sure how much more time and cost would be involved to laser lock the defective cores but they must have their reason for not doing so. This reminds me of the whole x800gto thing
    Feedanator 7.0
    CASE:R5|PSU:850G2|CPU:i7 6850K|MB:x99 Ultra|RAM:8x4 2666|GPU:980TI|SSD:BPX256/Evo500|SOUND:2i4/HS8
    LCD:XB271HU|OS:Win10|INPUT:G900/K70 |HS/F:H115i

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by haylui View Post
    soon, there will be a lot of company follow dual bios suite
    lolz
    Certainly hope so, regardless of unlocking cores, dual bios is probably one of the best ideas any mainboard manufacturer ever had (that actually made it into retail products).

AMD can't say it's fine if you unlock cores for a very obvious reason, they want people to buy a more expensive chip, besides, I'm sure they are aware that the attention they get over the whole unlock drama is pretty much free advertising.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast