Thread: Super-Pi crash help

Xtreme Member

Angry Super-Pi crash help

Hi,

Got a issue with Super-Pi 1.5 mod XS. Seems it just random crashes at different points running 16meg and the 32meg benchmark. Kinda weird since everything is stock on my pc. And this is the only two that i can't run.

Here is the error code i get after it crashes.
    Faulting application super_pi_mod.exe, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x624c1f35, faulting module super_pi_mod.exe, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x624c1f35, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0007324d, process id 0x167c, application start time 0x01c9e7fbfd4c6600.
    Perhaps someone else has had this happen and knows why. I've dropped the ram speed down and turned off turbo still get crashes at random.

Specs:
    Asus Rampage 2 Extreme
    I7 920 @ 2.66 with turbo on
    Kingston HyperX T1 2,000mhz tri-channel 6gig
    Vista Ultimate 64bit with Sp2

I've tried turning off "turbo" didn't help. Tried going down on the memory from 2,000mhz to 1,866mhz, to 1,333mhz and nothing helped. Tried using the two x.m.p. settings still crashed. So i am out of ideas at this point. I guess it is more annoying then anything now.

So perhaps someone has some info to help me along. Or know what is causing the crash with the log.

Good Day

Xtreme Member
    I think it is just a problem with Vista 64 and SuperPi. I haven't ever been able to run SuperPi on Vista 64 or Windows 7 without it crashing. I have tried it on several different hardware setups and it would never work on Vista or 7 but it would work on XP.

Xtreme Member
    Well i wonder why all the rest of the test runs great all the way up to 16meg and no issues. But last two just random crashes. Well as long as i know it isn't something on my end then i'm fine. Just needed to double check on it. Got 16meg to run took about 3 retries and 32meg i just forgot about it. Perhaps a new version will fix this since XS took it over maybe we will get it fixed.

Good Day

Xtreme Addict
    Easy fix.

When you start your pi run, select the size, and when you get the start message, drag it off of the screen so only half of it is visible then clock "OK"

Don't ask me hwy it happens, but it works
    GB 790XTA UD4
    GSkill Pi Black 2000 Cas9
    ASUS 4870
    Enermax Revolution 1050+

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=67661

Xtreme Member
    Just noticed on my friends pc AMD Phenom it runs fine on all the test. Must be a Intel thing then. I will try the half on and off thing and see what happens.

Good Day

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMaynard View Post
    Easy fix.

When you start your pi run, select the size, and when you get the start message, drag it off of the screen so only half of it is visible then clock "OK"

I think this may be because you need to wait for the "beep" sound to stop before you press OK, you don't have to necessarily drag the box until it's half-off the screen. That just happens to usually give the sound enough time to stop Silly i know.

I found that out myself by accident some time last year.
    TJ07 | Corsair HX1000W | Gigabyte EX58 Extreme | i7 930 @ 4ghz | Ek Supreme | Thermochill PA 120.3 | Laing DDC 12v w/ mod plexi top | 3x2gb Corsair 1600mhz | GTX 680 | Raid 0 300gb Velociraptor x 2 | Razer Lachesis & Lycosa | Win7 HP x64 | fluffy dice.

I recommend reading this: click

Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    You can never have enough D9's.

Xtreme Addict
    Vista sucks for 1m, but the OK box drag works with everyone that I've recommended it to and it takes 1 second to do

Xello - I never get a "beep" sound....I can wait 20 minutes for it and it'll still crash lol.
    GB 790XTA UD4
    GSkill Pi Black 2000 Cas9
    ASUS 4870
    Enermax Revolution 1050+

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=67661

Xtreme Member
    Well mine still crashes, so maybe i just have bad luck. But i did notice doing that half drag makes it use more of the core now when it runs.

Good Day
    Last edited by KILLER_K; 06-08-2009 at 11:33 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Easy fix.

When you click size you get a plus symbol with arrows but as soon as you click calculate that goes away. Then you say drag the box that pops up half way below the taskbar correct? If so mine still crashes.

And i have no idea what the beep sound is that was referred to.

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Dan View Post
    I recommend reading this: click
    This doesn't work. I also said i have sp2 installed but still my friends amd system same os same sp2 works fine 100% on all test. Is there going to be a new lease anytime soon?

As it would be nice for a full working 100% test. Since not everyone still uses xp as a os anymore.

Good Day
    Last edited by KILLER_K; 06-09-2009 at 12:19 PM.

I don't think there will be a new "official" release anytime soon, SPi 1.5 has been around for quite a while now.

Maybe you could test W1zzard's new 1.6 release, though I'm not sure if you will be allowed to post to hwbot with this version.

Xtreme Legend
    Maybe you could test W1zzard's new 1.6 release, though I'm not sure if you will be allowed to post to hwbot with this version.
    it's not available to the public yet .. actually, let me look into that right now.

edit: http://www.techpowerup.com/wizzard/super_pi_mod.exe
    please test
    Last edited by W1zzard; 06-21-2009 at 07:41 AM.

You changed the font?!

Xtreme Legend
    You changed the font?!
    not that i know of ? do you have a side by side screenshot?

Sorry, I was mistaken, it's the same font, just slightly bigger.

Xtreme Legend
    interesting .. small difference in your image indeed. on my system old and new superpi look exactly the same. are you maybe starting from a shortcut/as admin/in compat mode?

Xtreme Legend
    download updated, same link as before

Looking good now!

Edit:
    Last edited by Don_Dan; 06-21-2009 at 11:49 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Xello - I never get a "beep" sound....I can wait 20 minutes for it and it'll still crash lol.
    Must have been some glitch in my system then, someone suggested to me the "drag box half off screen then click ok" which worked fine, but i couldn't just sit and do that as it made no sense to me that the box had to be half off the screen for it to work so i quickly figured out the sound was the issue heh.
    TJ07 | Corsair HX1000W | Gigabyte EX58 Extreme | i7 930 @ 4ghz | Ek Supreme | Thermochill PA 120.3 | Laing DDC 12v w/ mod plexi top | 3x2gb Corsair 1600mhz | GTX 680 | Raid 0 300gb Velociraptor x 2 | Razer Lachesis & Lycosa | Win7 HP x64 | fluffy dice.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks "W1zzard" i just downloaded it and will try it out. And when i get done i will let you know what happened.

EDIT: Still crashed, i guess super-pi just doesn't like me...................

Good Day
    Last edited by KILLER_K; 06-21-2009 at 12:49 PM.

Xtreme Legend
    hmmm can you try the original superpi 1.1e ?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    My SuperPI does the same. I have found a way in which it works all the time with no problems. Instead of dragging the window off screen, just wait 5-6-7 seconds when it appears prior to pressing "OK". It works all the time with me.
    ASUS Sabertooth P67B3· nVidia GTX580 1536MB PhysX · Intel Core i7 2600K 4.5GHz · Corsair TX850W · Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
    8GB GSKill Sniper PC3-16000 7-8-7 · OCZ Agility3 SSD 240GB + Intel 320 SSD 160GB + Samsung F3 2TB + WD 640AAKS 640GB · Corsair 650D · DELL U2711 27"

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by NaMcO View Post
    My SuperPI does the same. I have found a way in which it works all the time with no problems. Instead of dragging the window off screen, just wait 5-6-7 seconds when it appears prior to pressing "OK". It works all the time with me.
    have you tried with my version?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by W1zzard View Post
    hmmm can you try the original superpi 1.1e ?
    That version worked fine, no problems at all. Guess i need to start going up and see just what versions don't work. 1.5xs and the 1.6 i know does't work so far i will try ti do them all or find thenm and post the results.

Good Day

Xtreme Member
    Update:

1 Stick of my Hyper x died. Too many blue screens got corrupt data. so i installed windows 7 64bit build 7100 and it ran all the super-pi 1.5 test fine. Seems a stick was failing, perhaps that was the problem all along...........