Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Up in smoke.... Thats where my capacitors go....

Xtreme Cruncher
    get the UD3R it does great with quads.

MY HEATWARE 76-0-0

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by pur View Post
    Well thats a lot of posts.

Yeah I was running 1.5v in the bios, I honestly don't remember the other settings. The board has been running 24/7 for almost a year, only a quick power cycle every few weeks. So the other settings have been long forgotten. The heatsinks on the mofsets never got more then warm when under a load.

As far as posting the "results" they are already on the forum, i believe in my phase thread so . All I was doing was using a board feature anyways. As far as greasing the socket, I'll never do that again. It was a mistake this time and there are better ways. Its pretty easy to clean off if you know how as well. I'm not looking to cheat anyone, but I feel I used the board as it was intended.

I had theorized that the cap leaked electrolyte and then it caused a short on the mofsets, resulting in some warm results. Once I took the board off the the tray I noticed that it burned off some of the powder coat on the aluminum. Yikes. It is possible that the mofsets just quit, but they were never more then warm. On the old mobo, the mofsets didnt go, a cap leaked electrolyte, but it was just below the mofsets, so no short that time, but who knows. On the bright side, everything else still works.

No, I'm not sure it will get rma'd again. If it doesn't its no big deal. I will buy another but probably not asus. The rma last time was painful. It took forever, then they sent me the wrong motherboard (an AM2 board), and then when i finally got someone on the phone I was told to take pictures to prove they sent me the wrong one and email them. Only the rep i sent the pictures to got off work, so I had to go through the entire phone tree again, and send the pictures again. After 7 weeks, I got the correct replacement board. Unacceptable.

With all of that, anyone have suggestions for a non-asus board?

Just needs to be DDR2 and have a P45 chipset. Crossfire not needed.
    Not interested in i7 at the moment. Performance is plenty high for me at 4.3ghz. A small jump with i7 is not worth the 500-700 it would cost to upgrade.
    I wondered why bother to rma an Asus P5Q, not worth the trouble, especially with experiences like that!
    Since you want a simple but reliable non-Asus P45 board, I was also going to suggest looking at Gigabyte's P45 boards, as radaja has just mentioned. As well as the EP45-UD3R that he suggested, there are the UD3L, UD3P, and the DS4P versions, best to compare prices and availability in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by radaja View Post
    get the UD3R it does great with quads.
    Last edited by Retro; 06-08-2009 at 05:17 PM.
    i5 750@3800
    Noctua NH-U12P/120x38mm Panaflow M1
    GSkill 4G DDR3-2000 Ripjaws
    EVGA P55 FTW 200
    EVGA GTX 480/Zalman VF3000F &
    Zotac GTX 480 AMP Edition/Zalman OEM VF3000F SLI@800/2000
    Seasonic M12D 750
    WD Caviar 500
    Coolermaster HAF 932 Black Edition
    W7 64 Pro

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeghoofd View Post
    Isues maybe due to ya phase change mount ?
    Thats a good point... MOSFETs actually degrade and eventually fail when used in extremely cold temperatures.

Oh BTW, my experience with Asus RMA has been nothing short of fantastic. I got on Advance RMA on my old Rampage Formula, they sent me a new one with 3-day shipping while I still had the dead one and once I got it, I sent back my defective one.
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

Xtreme Guru
    Gigabyte over Asus anyday. No one comes close to Gigabytes quality.

Quote Originally Posted by GAR View Post
    Gigabyte over Asus anyday. No one comes close to Gigabytes quality.
    agreed, it was shown not too long ago that asus dont use japaneese capacitors, they were found out to be using cheap chineese capacitors that explode.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/asu...oard,5348.html

why would anyone buy an asus board after all this information was made public about them a long time ago?

insted of asus trying to disprove that thier boards are cheap they try and sue http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...=7505&Itemid=1

funny stuff.
    Opteron 170@ 265 x 10 @1.375v
    Asrock 939N68PV-GLAN, GEIL 2gb 400mhz ram
    8800GT accelero s1, XP X64. Antec p182 mini
    velociraptor 150gb, Corsair 620w

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3P all the way.

And that sucks man, I know about ASUS' crappy service. I had to RMA my P5Q-Deluxe a few months ago. The RMA process took a month. I was livid. When I got the notification that the board was on its way back to me, I called them to ask what was wrong with it. The lady I talked to said there'd be an invoice in the box and that'd tell me what was wrong. When I got the board there was no such invoice. I never called back to follow up...if they weren't going to tell me the first time they wouldn't tell me the second time, especially after the board was in my hands again. Their work was done For all I know, they waved a wooden stick over the board chanting "la la la la" and sent it back to me. The jostling during shipping out there probably did more to fix it than they did.

The whole reason I bought the P5Q-Deluxe this time was because I saw the screenshots of people who had next to zero vDroop with a 65nm quad, which impressed me coming from a G33M-DS2R from Gigabyte which had terrible vDroop (not their fault, the board wasn't designed to OC a Q6700). And I had a great experience with two separate M2N-SLI Deluxe boards - mine was great and a friend's survived two different electrical problems...once from being shorted against the motherboard tray of his case because the idiot didn't use standoffs, and a second time when his house was hit by lightning and he didn't have it on a surge protector. The board lived, he traded it to me, and I sold it to another friend for cheap who's using it now and hasn't had a single BSoD or crash (though he's not an overclocker and that particular board has never been OCed to my knowledge). And because the M2N-SLI Deluxe was so well-built I never had to deal with ASUS' customer service. Recently that opinion has changed.

The next time I buy ASUS you can rest assured there will be a gun to my head.

• i7 920 D0 // eVGA X58 SLI // 12GB G.Skill Ripjaws // HD6950 (6970 BIOS)
    • Apogee XT // MCP655 // Thermochill PA120.3 // CM HAF 932
    • OCZ Vertex 3 MI edition // ASUS Xonar DX // Corsair TX850
    • HTC Incredible - Uber Kingdom Revolution ROM

Xtreme Member
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3P ordered.
    Q9650 @ 4ghz | EP45-UD3P | 5870 |

Xtreme Member
    i have a ep45 ud3p and it is an AWESOME BOARD
    This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12