Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BIOS fixes

HWGurus

BIOS fixes

Ok, I talked to Lord Trident about this. I decide to open a thread about BIOS and bugs that needs to be fixed. I'll collect every information and put it here in first post. I also hope that you'll take part in this and help with information.

I hope this thread will help to fix BIOS bugs quicker

Bloodrage

1.Fully adjustable PCI-E Frequency

2.Cas Latency 1 lower then it should be

3.CPU and IOH QPI Latency options - if you scroll up from auto to 256, it doesn't let you scroll back down to 0

4.If fans are set to anything other than full or smart, it will cause issues with the way the bios reports the voltages.

Blackops
    1 - On 1:3,2 dividers DIMM1/DIMM2 works very well (up to 570mhz easy) , instead DIMM3/DIMM4 have a wall at 480/490

2 - VTT voltage bios menu that start from 1,2v for 45nm CPUs (better use a bios menu with +0,075 ; +0,150 etc) instead 1,1v.

Destroyer
    1.The CPU->NB multi cannot be adjusted in the bios.

2.Raising the Reference Clock in the bios above 250Mhz results in unprecise Clocks in fact, due to CPU-Z. 250Mhz does effect correct 2250Mhz HT and NB Clock. 251Mhz in contrast results in weird Clocks like 249.1Mhz Ref., 2241,9 HT and NB, additonally, the CPU Clock also doesn't match the bios clock. 252Mhz is identically (!) with the 251Mhz-Option, while 253Mhz in Bios results in a CPU-Z-Clock of 252.1Mhz.

3. Setting the nforce780a SATA-Controller to AHCI Mode make it impossible to check the SMART-attributes, they are simply invisible, just like the temperatures of the Hard Drives. Additionally, while in AHCI mode, all Hard Disks are "invisible" in the bios. Is this a chipset-related issue or rather a problem of the bios?

4.If you allow the system to drop into S3 sleep mode (S1 sleep works fine), FSB come back to default 200MHz

SOLVED

Bloodrage

1.Turbo only works with EIST on after 200BCLK, 200 and below you can have EIST turned off and it worked fine. -->> no problems with this. Turbo IS a part of eist, there is no way to turn off eist and have turbo...

2.Default voltages change going lower then higher, etc.. I.E. Vcore would default at 1.23v, I make all my adjustments, verify several times that the bios has them and is using them. Then out of no where the default vvore voltage drops to 1.11v, which is fine except it makes the whole thing unstable. -->> The real problem is vcore vid recognition which still doesn't seem to work 100% correctly, but there is no problems with system stability
    Last edited by quake6; 07-18-2009 at 11:37 AM.

Nice idea...I hope that this works better that the corrections that we asked in past to saaya an foxconn support directly.......

Blackops needs to fix:
    1 - the dividers 1:3 and 1:3,2 from 490 to 600........
    2 - VTT voltage bios menu that start from 1,2v for 45nm CPUs (better use a bios menu with +0,075 ; +0,150 ...etc...) instaed 1,1v.

great idea

destroyer:
    cpu-nb multi problem (already in the list)

its time to fix this

HWGurus
    If there is some another bug, even a smaller one (let say aegis panel doesn't work etc...), let me know

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    There's already a huge bug list thread for the BloodRage...
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

HWGurus
    Post it her, I didn't find any other bug (well to be honest, didn't search a lot of threads cause I didn't had time, will do during this week)

Quote Originally Posted by quake6 View Post
    If there is some another bug, even a smaller one (let say aegis panel doesn't work etc...), let me know
    my aegis panel isnt working for me. but didnt tried the P15 Bios (P14 is running atm)

One-Eyed Killing Machine

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

HWGurus
    I see that you were using G13 and other were using G19 (last post was with G19 BIOS), so I think that is kinda old... I'll power my BR and see if there is some of these bugs and write it here... About wishlist, I can put it here (that is also worth about Destroyer or Blackops), but I think bugs are the first one to solve....

Also I'll send you pm about this

@AWOS74: Can you just give it a try if it isn't a problem?
    Anyone else with that problem? And what aegis version are you using?
    Last edited by quake6; 06-06-2009 at 09:33 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    P06/P08 for BR:

1 - If fans are set to anything other than full or smart, it will cause issues with the way the bios reports the voltages.
    2 - Turbo only works with EIST on after 200BCLK, 200 and below you can have EIST turned off and it workd fine.
    3 - Default voltages change going lower then higher, etc.. I.E. Vcore would default at 1.23v, I make all my adjustments, verify several times that the bios has them and is using them. Then out of no where the default vvore voltage drops to 1.11v, which is fine except it makes the whole thing unstable.

I have more, but that will have to do for right now.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Most of the bugs from the thread remain unsolved in G25 / P06 / P07 / G22.

HWGurus
    bump

The recently released P16 BIOS for the destroyer say they "Fix ADX245 Processor S3 resume fail."

Does that mean the FSB will no longer reset to default when the computer resumes from S3 sleep mode? If so, time to cross that one off the list in the first post.

I am beginning to feel foxconn has quit on us. There is no longer any website for the quantum force produts to my knowledge, and the main system d/l's page is little to no use.

I bought this mother board thinking that the manufacture would offer on going support, I now see that foxconn has become worse then asus.

I feel like I have been riped off.

It does not take over a month to fix these problems, and I for one can not understand what the hold up is all about- save that money is obviously the concern.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonz1r View Post
    I am beginning to feel foxconn has quit on us. There is no longer any website for the quantum force produts to my knowledge, and the main system d/l's page is little to no use.

I bought this mother board thinking that the manufacture would offer on going support, I now see that foxconn has become worse then asus.

It does not take over a month to fix these problems, and I for one can not understand what the hold up is all about- save that money is obviously the concern.
    Well.. who knows? But considering they are going to launch at least Infernal Katana P55 .. I think that they'll make quantum-force.net working again.. hopefully.
    i7 930 D0 - 4,2 GHz + Megashadow
    3x4GB Crucial 1600MHz CL8
    Foxconn Bloodrage rev. 1.1 - P09
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    SeaGate ES.2 1TB + 1TB External SeaGate
    Corsair HX 850W (its GOLD man!)
    ASUS STX + Sennheiser HD 555 (tape mod)

Old-new camera so some new pics will be there.. My Flickr My 500px.com My Tumblr

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonz1r View Post

Chill dude, Quantum Force may be changing a bit (inc website that will be back) but Foxconn as a company are going nowhere.

Your board will get support, BIOS updates and RMA - they've got to provide that.

As for "a month"...well...yeah, it can take that long. Who do you know that fixes any problem with a board within a month? That's a bit unreasonable. What's the problem you've got?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mescalamba View Post
    But considering they are going to launch at least Infernal Katana P55
    Infernal...........

...............Katana

XmX

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Ok, I talked to Lord Trident about this. I decide to open a thread about BIOS and bugs that needs to be fixed. I'll collect every information and put it here in first post. I also hope that you'll take part in this and help with information.

I hope this thread will help to fix BIOS bugs quicker
    good luck carl!
    and thanks quake and carl for at least giving it a try

Bloodrage
    i thought that works now?

should work fine? i havent had any probs with several kits...
    if there are probs its spd related, so mention what mem you use and if possible send an spd dump to carl, that should help

3.CPU and IOH QPI Latency options - if you scroll up from auto to 256, it doesn't let you scroll back down to 0
    should be easy to fix

4.If fans are set to anything other than full or smart, it will cause issues with the way the bios reports the voltages.
    what voltages? i didnt notice anything and im using 4 fans, some set to smartfan, some to full and some to percentage...

5.Turbo only works with EIST on after 200BCLK, 200 and below you can have EIST turned off and it workd fine.
    ?
    turbo IS a part of eist... theres no way to turn off eist and have turbo...
    if you turn off eist first and then enable cpu turbo itll enable eist again, if thats what you mean
    or you might mean cXe... you can disable cXe which will enable turbo but disable vcore dropping in idle... and you can set turbo to always on or disable eist in windows which means turbo will still work but it wont drop the cpu multi and vcore in idle... there are several ways to get what pretty much every combination... not sure what exactly you want...

6.Default voltages change going lower then higher, etc.. I.E. Vcore would default at 1.23v, I make all my adjustments, verify several times that the bios has them and is using them. Then out of no where the default vvore voltage drops to 1.11v, which is fine except it makes the whole thing unstable.
    you mean idle vcore? there are several ways to change that, disable cXe, enable/disable droop (for some en works better for some dis...)

the real problem is vcore vid recognition which still doesnt seem to work 100% correctly...

Quote Originally Posted by XmikeX View Post
    Infernal...........

...............Katana

XmX
    just so you know... thats none of the names i suggested before i left...

its not very creative, basically its flaming blade using diferent words...
    flame = inferno
    blade = katana

which makes sense as FB and IK? are both mainstream price/perf boards...
    but inferno katana... abreviation IK? *shudder*

HWGurus

i thought that works now?
    You can set 103MHz PCI-E. For higher, I think this is hardware issue? Cause there is mod that you need to do for higher PCI-E? Also I heard something that you can go higher in windows with SET FSB, anyone tried? Also what is generator for set fsb? I might give it a try today

should work fine? i havent had any probs with several kits...
    if there are probs its spd related, so mention what mem you use and if possible send an spd dump to carl, that should help
    When you set 6 or 7 (don't remember correct), you get wrong reading. But didn't test it, maybe it is just wrong reading....

should be easy to fix
    I hope so

what voltages? i didnt notice anything and im using 4 fans, some set to smartfan, some to full and some to percentage...
    I didn't test this, someone told me about this and I just put it in the list... Will give it a try...

Can someone please answer to this, who reported it...?

5.Turbo only works with EIST on after 200BCLK, 200 and below you can have EIST turned off and it workd fine.
    ?
    turbo IS a part of eist... theres no way to turn off eist and have turbo...
    if you turn off eist first and then enable cpu turbo itll enable eist again, if thats what you mean
    or you might mean cXe... you can disable cXe which will enable turbo but disable vcore dropping in idle... and you can set turbo to always on or disable eist in windows which means turbo will still work but it wont drop the cpu multi and vcore in idle... there are several ways to get what pretty much every combination... not sure what exactly you want...
    That reported Utnorris.. I tested and had zero problems with that... So I'll remove it from the list

6.Default voltages change going lower then higher, etc.. I.E. Vcore would default at 1.23v, I make all my adjustments, verify several times that the bios has them and is using them. Then out of no where the default vvore voltage drops to 1.11v, which is fine except it makes the whole thing unstable.
    you mean idle vcore? there are several ways to change that, disable cXe, enable/disable droop (for some en works better for some dis...)

the real problem is vcore vid recognition which still doesnt seem to work 100% correctly...
    So the problem is vcore vid recognition?

Infernal...........

...............Katana

XmX
    just so you know... thats none of the names i suggested before i left...

its not very creative, basically its flaming blade using diferent words...
    flame = inferno
    blade = katana

which makes sense as FB and IK? are both mainstream price/perf boards...
    but inferno katana... abreviation IK? *shudder*
    The problem isn't about naming, it is about bios support... If it is working fine, I don't care about name... There is only two big problems about blackops, divider and wrong VTT (0,1v higher than it should be in bios)... And we are waiting for this too long... Also what about BR, Destroyer?? Too bad about this situation

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Regarding the PCI-E speed, you can set it to 103Mhz (anything more and there is no POST) at bios which results in 102.4Mhz.
    In windows you can bump that to 103.4mhz (anything more and it will freeze) using setFSB, the Clock Generator chip for Bloodrage is: ICS9LPRS139AKLF.

The only way to go above afaik is using the hard mod of moving resistor 128 to 125.
    I am going to try it tonight and see if it helps, because I kind of like this board, it will be too bad if 229Mhz bclk will be my max.

PC: Intel Core i7 920 D0 | Kingston Hyperx T1 6GB 2000Mhz 8-8-8 RAM | Foxconn Bloodrage GTI | Sapphire 4870X2 | Perc 5/i - WD 640AAKSx4 RAID0 | Asus 2014L1T | Dell 2407WFP | Lian Li G70 Silver Watercooled
    WaterCooling: Q² Project by The-Fox
    CPU Loop: Swiftech Apogee GTZ | Feser X-Changer 480 | Swiftech MCP655 Vario w/ DetroitAC top | EK Multioption RES 250 Rev.2 | Tygon R3603 1/2" | YL D12SL@1350RPM x4
    GPU Loop: EK-FC4870 X2 Nickel | Swiftech MCR320 | Swiftech MCP655 Vario w/DetroitAC top | EK Multioption RES 150 Rev.2 | Tygon R3603 1/2" | YL D12SL@1350RPM x3

Xtreme X.I.P.
    When you set 6 or 7 (don't remember correct), you get wrong reading. But didn't test it, maybe it is just wrong reading....
    ohhh really? thats still not fixed? i reported that a loooong time ago... ill have a look what cas setting results in what actual setting... tras doesnt work 100% correctly either but it doesnt really matter so lets not ask them to spend their time on that

I didn't test this, someone told me about this and I just put it in the list... Will give it a try...
    i played with it again and it works fine... but im on P03, i know it was broken later on and i reported it and got a beta that had it fixed... so G25 and later should have it working i think...

That reported Utnorris.. I tested and had zero problems with that... So I'll remove it from the list
    maybe he really has a broken board after all... idk, i didnt actually check his thread again... carl should probably talk to him or foxconn tech support and figure out whats wrong

So the problem is vcore vid recognition?
    well thats all i can think of... but then again, this is utnorris right? he said the voltage actually changed on the fly... well thats normal, depending on the load the cpu will adjust the vcore unless you disable CxE...

The problem isn't about naming, it is about bios support... If it is working fine, I don't care about name... There is only two big problems about blackops, divider and wrong VTT (0,1v higher than it should be in bios)... And we are waiting for this too long... Also what about BR, Destroyer?? Too bad about this situation
    yeah i know... and the vtt thing is ridiculous, one of the first things i ever asked to have changed when i joined foxconn

BR bios support is great imo... a bit slow, but it keeps getting improved... they definately gave up trying to push it as THE enthusiast board, but they still add new features that really help and fix stuff, so thats good... look at msis highend board, the msi eclipse plus... its coming out now, or a few weeks ago, and there is 1.... 1 single bios for it...

i havent followed asus and gigabytes bios release speed and how they fix stuff, but i think BR bios support has been pretty good. could have been better, but its good enough for sure, at least for me...

destroyer, yeah another one of those things where nothing seems to happen... i asked the responsible bios engineer to seperate northbridge and htt multipliers and it took me weeks to convince him that this is possible to begin with... he claimed its impossible without looking into it, obviouisly, as even asrock boards have those options available and seperate

sorry, i better stop, dont wanna rant

BO, BR and FB and in future IK are from the same bios engineer, and their bioses work very well imo and get updated frequently... except for BO... why... im not sure myself...
    Last edited by saaya; 06-29-2009 at 04:13 AM.

i asked the responsible bios engineer to seperate northbridge and htt multipliers and it took me weeks to convince him that this is possible to begin with...
    Yeah, that would be definitely the best and most logic way to adjust that option, also this is the common way by nearly every other brand like asus, ga, asrock and so on. It is hard to understand that especially foxconn cannot implement this matter of course. And I didn't mention the issue that the CPU NB voltage also cannot be modified.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    and i asked the hw engineers to create a vcore mod for destroyer to get more than 1.65vcore and they couldnt do that either for some reason...
    considering all that i think destroyer is a surprisingly well designed and well working board

Nice to see you again on foxconn support, Saaya!
    Do you think that we'll see to solve the issues of Blackops??? Is from the birth of this board that we ask for a fix of Ram dividers!!!

Xtreme Enthusiast

I tested this with P08. If you set fan the fan speed to a certain % then all the voltages will show around 4.08 and the 12V will show ~16. I am not sure what % will cause this issue, but I was running all my fans at %60.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MV-G
    3770K 5.00
    7970 1200/1700
    GSkill 2400
    Seasonic Platinum 1000
    Silverstone TJ08-E
    - Koolance AC-370 - Swiftech MCP-35X - Phobya Xtreme 200mm Rad - Koolance VID-AR797 -
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USA National Debt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast