Thread: Newbie questions

Newbie questions

So what's up with my first go at WCG?

Setup client - btw - download only give intelx86 client, should I change to x64?
    Logged In and downloaded 35 WU's
    Started crunching on i7 and left it for the night .........
    This morning it shows 4 units "Ready to Report" and 4 Running
    Messages show that the 4 units "started" and "finished" upload - no error messages
    Logged in to website (and waited until after 12 UTC) but zero points ?
    And Projects page still shows all 35 WU as "In Progress"

Any thoughts or am I just a points junkie, please don't say go back to FAH SMP
    Asus Maximus VIII Ranger Z170 : Core i5-6600K : EVGA RTX2080 XC : 16Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 : 256Gb Crucial MX500 : Corsair H100i : PCP&C 750w 60A : CM Cosmos S : Windows 10 x64
    Asus Z8NA-D6 : Dual Xeon E5645 : 24Gb DDR3-1333 ECC : MSI GTX470 : 120Gb Samsung EVO 840 : 1TB HDD : PCP&C 750w 60A : CM Stacker : DD MC-TDX, EK-FC470, RX240+RX120, D5 X-Top, BayRes : VMware ESXi 6.7.0 - VM's - WCG crunchers x 5 (Ubuntu 18.04 LTS), Mint 19, Windows 10 Insider Preview
    Sophos XG 17.5.3 running on GA-Z97-Wifi : Core i3 : 8Gb DDR3-1600 : 120Gb SSD : Corsair H80
    BenQ GW2765, Aten 4-port KVM, Asustor AS5002 4Tb NAS, Belkin 1500va UPS, Sky Fibre Max 80/20Mbps

Xtreme Cruncher
    6.6.31 BOINC win X64 . Gives a little moar points, a ghost told me so.

RtR means it will auto send finished WorkUnits next time it connects to servers.

If you very recently started then points probably wonīt show for a few days, new registration and WU validations can take some time...

Donīt worry, after a few days itīll start working as intended (pun intended )

hmm... Yeah, you probably are a points junkie . I mean look at that folding.
    I should probably send you to our team Doctor, Dr. SigFever... and Dave... or the other way around might be better

btw, to the Team.
    i5 3570k | Asus Z77-V Dlx | 16Gb 2400 HyperX Pred | ASUS 6950 2Gb DCuII | X-fi Titanium | Samsung SA350
    Corsair AX860i | Hyperx 3k 120Gb,i520 120Gb,320 7200.11,2x2Tb WdB | Corsair H80i | Antec P280 | win7 x64

Xtreme Cruncher
    good start

you can put the following lines in the file cc_config.xml.

Code:
    <cc_config>
        <options>
            <report_results_immediately>1</report_results_immediately>
        </options>
    </cc_config>
    The code will force the system to immediately report your uploads. Otherwise it might take some time.

The file is usually located in the user boinc (data) folders - depends where you put it when installing the client. If you don't know do a search for file "stdoutgui.txt" - cc_config is in the same folder (if not then create).

Points are only granted when the WU has been validated. Depending on the project that maybe (almost) immediately or when the wingman return the results.
    Last edited by mreuter80; 06-05-2009 at 07:37 AM. Reason: spelling

Back from the Dead
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ_64 View Post
    So what's up with my first go at WCG?

Setup client - btw - download only give intelx86 client, should I change to x64?
    Logged In and downloaded 35 WU's
    Started crunching on i7 and left it for the night .........
    This morning it shows 4 units "Ready to Report" and 4 Running
    Messages show that the 4 units "started" and "finished" upload - no error messages
    Logged in to website (and waited until after 12 UTC) but zero points ?
    And Projects page still shows all 35 WU as "In Progress"

Any thoughts or am I just a points junkie, please don't say go back to FAH SMP
    Be sure to enable HT (Hyperthreading) in bios, this will give you a huge boost with WCG, like 40% higher PPD (it will take longer per WU but run 8 threads instead of 4).
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Cheers guys, as you can now see in my sig - I have nailed it!
    Asus Maximus VIII Ranger Z170 : Core i5-6600K : EVGA RTX2080 XC : 16Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 : 256Gb Crucial MX500 : Corsair H100i : PCP&C 750w 60A : CM Cosmos S : Windows 10 x64
    Asus Z8NA-D6 : Dual Xeon E5645 : 24Gb DDR3-1333 ECC : MSI GTX470 : 120Gb Samsung EVO 840 : 1TB HDD : PCP&C 750w 60A : CM Stacker : DD MC-TDX, EK-FC470, RX240+RX120, D5 X-Top, BayRes : VMware ESXi 6.7.0 - VM's - WCG crunchers x 5 (Ubuntu 18.04 LTS), Mint 19, Windows 10 Insider Preview
    Sophos XG 17.5.3 running on GA-Z97-Wifi : Core i3 : 8Gb DDR3-1600 : 120Gb SSD : Corsair H80
    BenQ GW2765, Aten 4-port KVM, Asustor AS5002 4Tb NAS, Belkin 1500va UPS, Sky Fibre Max 80/20Mbps

Crunching for Poppabear
    Quote Originally Posted by jcool View Post
    Be sure to enable HT (Hyperthreading) in bios, this will give you a huge boost with WCG, like 40% higher PPD (it will take longer per WU but run 8 threads instead of 4).
    When you say longer, how much longer? I just got my i7 up and going a few days ago. Currently clocked at 3673.95 MHz. Still doing some OS tweaking and all. Reading alot about the DFI UT X58 mobo. It may take me awhile to get it all right.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oc-Ghost View Post
    6.6.31 BOINC win X64 . Gives a little moar points, a ghost told me so.

RtR means it will auto send finished WorkUnits next time it connects to servers.

If you very recently started then points probably wonīt show for a few days, new registration and WU validations can take some time...

Donīt worry, after a few days itīll start working as intended (pun intended )

hmm... Yeah, you probably are a points junkie . I mean look at that folding.
    I should probably send you to our team Doctor, Dr. SigFever... and Dave... or the other way around might be better

btw, to the Team.
    Someone mention my name?
    Welcome Russ and good advice above.
    Sig may be the Dr. but I'm the one that does "house calls"
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mreuter80 View Post
    good start

Code:
    <cc_config>
        <options>
        </options>
    </cc_config>
    The code will force the system to immediately report your uploads. Otherwise it might take some time.

The file is usually located in the user boinc (data) folders - depends where you put it when installing the client. If you don't know do a search for file "stdoutgui.txt" - cc_config is in the same folder (if not then create).

Points are only granted when the WU has been validated. Depending on the project that maybe (almost) immediately or when the wingman return the results.
    Thanks for that I had heard about that "flag" but had no idea where to put it.
    AMD Phenom 2 940 BE(125 watt) @ 3.5
    AMD Phenom 9950 BE @ 3.2
    Intel Q9650 @4050
    Intel Xeon x3360 @3.82

Kickin cancer where it hurts!

Back from the Dead
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu523 View Post
    When you say longer, how much longer? I just got my i7 up and going a few days ago. Currently clocked at 3673.95 MHz. Still doing some OS tweaking and all. Reading alot about the DFI UT X58 mobo. It may take me awhile to get it all right.
    It'll finish 8 HCC WUs in like 3:50h at 4Ghz with HT on while it takes like 2:30 or 2:35 for 4 WUs w/o HT --> HT on is better overall.

These numbers may not be exactly 100% right but I did a comparison a long time ago, and HT on showed almost 40% improvement over HT off. Dave also did a comparison back in the day, and I think he posted the numbers somewhere here...

If you have any specific questions on that mobo, feel free to get back to me - I have 2 of them running
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Xtreme Member
    good start

Code:
    <cc_config>
        <options>
        </options>
    </cc_config>

Anyone able to find this in 64 bit boinc?
    Have looked till my eyes have crossed
    AMD Phenom 9950 BE @ 3.2
    Intel Q9650 @4050
    Intel Xeon x3360 @3.82

XSDCMF
    Welcome to the team, Russ!
    Crunching to Crush Cancer
    Somebody, Stop Me!

Xtreme Cruncher
    good start

Code:
    <cc_config>
        <options>
        </options>
    </cc_config>

That is some good information thank you
    Intel i7 2600k, Asus p8p67 EVO, Thermalright Archon, G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB, Asus EAH6970 DCII, Corsair AX850W, Asus xonar essence ST, Coolermaster HAF 932,
    Crucial C300 128GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB, Samsung F3 1TB.

The world needs your support.
    Join The XS WCG team and help cure Cancer, AIDS, and other diseases.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdu cnp View Post
    Hellooooooooooooooo anyone got a idea?
    AMD Phenom 9950 BE @ 3.2
    Intel Q9650 @4050
    Intel Xeon x3360 @3.82

Attack Dachshund
    ^ sorry, I wasn't paying attention... http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php

_
    Welcome to the team!

Xtreme Cruncher
    If you use the default install location, the folder you need to put it in is:
    C:\ProgramData\BOINC. Keep in mind that ProgramData is a hidden folder, so you'll need to show hidden folders (in Vista/Explorer: Alt to show menus > Tools > Folder Options > View tab > Show hidden files, folders and drives).

Eller

Desktop: Q6600 G0 @ 3.6 Ghz | P5E | 2x2 Gb G.Skill PC8000 | GTX 560 Ti | CM690 | TT TP 750 watt | Win 7 Pro x64 | Water Cooling
    Server: i3 530 (Stock) | CM Vortex Low-Profile | Zotac H55-ITX WIFI | 2x2Gb Corsair 1333Mhz | IGP | VX450 | Server 2008 R2 x64

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hellooooooooooooooo anyone got a idea?
    The 64 bit client does not seem to create cc_config.xml so you may need to and put it in the ProgramData/boinc location. May be hidden as Karl says. Once there you can watch the messages tab and under Advanced click Read Config file and you will see it say that the config file was read or if there were any errors.

Xtreme Cruncher
    good start

Code:
    <cc_config>
        <options>
        </options>
    </cc_config>

Does this apply to Ubuntu also? I got to check this out I look sometimes and there will be like 20 or more ready to turn in...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by road-runner View Post
    Does this apply to Ubuntu also? I got to check this out I look sometimes and there will be like 20 or more ready to turn in...
    Exactly why I wanna find it and use it.
    Look on mine at times and have 20 frikkin units finished just sitting there.
    I'd like to get a daily point average ,instead of these roller coaster ups and downs I'm seeing .
    AMD Phenom 9950 BE @ 3.2
    Intel Q9650 @4050
    Intel Xeon x3360 @3.82