Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: My ASUS P6T7 WS Supercomputer is here...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by burningrave101 View Post
    Well I was just curious if your results were about the same as crashmax's for max BCLK with you having a 975 XE and him testing with a Xeon. You could lower your CPU multi to like 19x in order to find the max BCLK and avoid going to higher CPU speeds.
    Yeah i know , tried it @ 215,posted, but didn't boot to windows.

This is a new platform for me ,still getting to know it.Ill mess around with it and see what i come up with. Meanwhile, any suggestions are welcome
    ASUS P6T7 WS "SuperComputer"
    HAF 932 with air filter Mod
    I7 980 XE
    Corsair 1866 3X2G Cl 7 @1600
    ATI 5970X2 Slot 1 & 5
    SB-X-FI F PCI-E Slot 4
    1 Intel 160G SSD 2 X 150G WD VelociRaptor
    Enermax Galaxy 1250W
    Windows 7 64

Xtreme Addict
    Can someone confirm if this board has B3 chipset revision?
    ░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█▀▀ ░░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█ ░░░
    ░█▀▀ ░█▀▀ ░█ ░█ ░░░░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█ ░░░
    ░▀▀▀ ░▀ ░░░▀ ░▀▀▀ ░░▀ ░░░▀░▀ ░▀ ░▀▀▀ ░

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by nge769 View Post
    Either your mentally challenged,or you didn't bother reading, or your a troll.
    Either way, run along now and go play..

PLEASE, IF ANYONE INSINUATES THAT I'M LYING, DO NOT POST ON THIS
    THREAD!!!!!!!
    ...? lol what?

I don't think I took it to that level. I merely asked if your plate was getting a good transfer, considering his board is evidently burning up. What would I get out of trolling someone using a board I'm considering buying?

Your first post was 3 weeks ago, and if I follow a thread over that timespan if you mentioned it (that your plate is most certainly getting good transfer), it's possible not to remember.
    E8500 E0 @ 4.05Ghz (9x450)
    8GB(4x2) G.Skill Pi Black 800 @ 900Mhz
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
    Xigmatek S1284EE

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruroni View Post
    ...? lol what?

I don't think I took it to that level. I merely asked if your plate was getting a good transfer, considering his board is evidently burning up. What would I get out of trolling someone using a board I'm considering buying?

Your first post was 3 weeks ago, and if I follow a thread over that timespan if you mentioned it (that your plate is most certainly getting good transfer), it's possible not to remember.
    hes running 81f room temps im running 71f
    I7 980 XE
    ATI 5970X2 Slot 1 & 5
    SB-X-FI F PCI-E Slot 4
    Enermax Galaxy 1250W
    Windows 7 64

Xtreme Member
    I think nobody is saying that anybody is laing...

As nge769 mentioned, there is no sensor for the x58 chip itself. Everest only reads the Motherboard Temp witch is in my case equal to the external sensor. Both sensors reads between 45 and 57C, idle to load.

Perhaps my skin is thinner then the one of nge769.
    Lian Li | Enermax Revolution 1050W | Intel Ivy 3770K #3216B695 | cuplex kryos CPU Block | Asus Maximus V Gene | EVGA GTX680 SC | 4x4GB TridentX 2400 10-12-12-31 | Radiator Mora2 with 9 Fans | Windows 7 Home Premium X64

Xtreme Member
    Someone was asking me what about turbo throttling with this board.

This is my experience during Prime and Linx sessions. As soon the CPU reaches 81C it drops to a multi of 20. If you stop prime or Linx the multi goes back to 21.
    So this Mobo does turbo throttling and no there is no BIOS Option yet to disable this. On RIIE it was possible to disable the turbo throttling.
    Last edited by crashmax; 07-02-2009 at 10:23 AM.
    Lian Li | Enermax Revolution 1050W | Intel Ivy 3770K #3216B695 | cuplex kryos CPU Block | Asus Maximus V Gene | EVGA GTX680 SC | 4x4GB TridentX 2400 10-12-12-31 | Radiator Mora2 with 9 Fans | Windows 7 Home Premium X64

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crashmax View Post

As nge769 mentioned, there is no sensor for the x58 chip itself. Everest only reads the Motherboard Temp witch is in my case equal to the external sensor. Both sensors reads between 45 and 57C, idle to load.

Thanks, that confirms it my mobo sensor reads 36c and my probe reads 36.5
    as I'm writing this.Maybe i need to take a video
    I7 980 XE
    ATI 5970X2 Slot 1 & 5
    SB-X-FI F PCI-E Slot 4
    Enermax Galaxy 1250W
    Windows 7 64

Xtreme Addict
    crashmax, there are 3 things that control Turbo throttling. Core voltage, power/current going through the core and temperature. Any one of these 3 items can trigger Turbo throttling where your +1 Turbo will start to cycle on and off rapidly. The harder you push it, your multiplier will then drop down to 20.0 and sit there. Good-bye nice overclock. As soon as the load or temperature drops, your multiplier will return to 21.0.

You need to contact Asus to come out with a fix for this if it is important to you. So far they have a special bios version available for the P6T Deluxe v1 and might do a few more if there's a demand for it.

The Asus rep on XS is Juan Jose (JJ) and has made the v1 guys very happy.
    illuminatiASUS

Here are some turbo testing tools to check your own board when running at full load.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/3/1794507/Turbo.zip

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unclewebb View Post
    crashmax, there are 3 things that control Turbo throttling. Core voltage, power/current going through the core and temperature. Any one of these 3 items can trigger Turbo throttling where your +1 Turbo will start to cycle on and off rapidly. The harder you push it, your multiplier will then drop down to 20.0 and sit there. Good-bye nice overclock. As soon as the load or temperature drops, your multiplier will return to 21.0.

You need to contact Asus to come out with a fix for this if it is important to you. So far they have a special bios version available for the P6T Deluxe v1 and might do a few more if there's a demand for it.

The Asus rep on XS is Juan Jose (JJ) and has made the v1 guys very happy.
    illuminatiASUS

Here are some turbo testing tools to check your own board when running at full load.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/3/1794507/Turbo.zip

Thank you very much for this useful info! I will use them to hopefully get a BIOS with fix this issue.

Xtreme Member
    Patience! This is a brand new mobo with initial BIOS.

After one day I can say, that this P6T7 is rock solid and that the CPU needs 0.08 VCore less as on my RIIE and that is very very good!

Furthermore, the system boots much faster than with RIIE, there is no cold boot issue (in my case) and the overall performance feels better (smooth, no lag) while loading programs and playing games.

This evening I will run Vantage to compare the P6T7 with my RIIE.

The only two things that concerns me are max BCLK and the heat (shows 57C but feels much hotter???, but hey, it is stable!!) of the NF200. In case of the max BCLK I’m sure that new BIOS releases will fix this!

For all my Tests I'm using exactly (switchting from one mobo to the other) the same CPU and Memory as on my RIIE!

Best wishes!

1. There is no cold boot issue with the RIIE. You just didn't update your BIOS. Was fixed as of 1306. BIOS is currently past that.

2. There isn't any lag or lack of "smoothness" with programs or games between the two. That's an asinine statement. Either your board was defective or you're pulling observations out of your ass. I've seen them both in action running identical CPU's and high end RAM. Both were also using Intel SSDs. Also, you'll likely get a larger FPS hit on the P6T7 due to the two NF200's.

I'm sorry but I debated between the RIIE and the P6T7 because a good friend of mine purchased it. I ended up going with the RIIE with the option of sending it back for a P6T7. I may still send it back for the P6T7, but only because of the extra PCIe slots. We have identical setups with 975's, 2000Mhz C8 RAM and Intel SSDs. What you wrote reads like an ASUS press release.

No, Everest is likely just misreading the sensor. There's no way your motherboard temp is 57C. Motherboard temps don't vary that much between idle and load and never that high. Unless you live in the desert. That is likely the average of the chipset temp between the two NF200's and the Northbridge.

Someone was asking me what about turbo throttling with this board.

This is my experience during Prime and Linx sessions. As soon the CPU reaches 81C it drops to a multi of 20. If you stop prime or Linx the multi goes back to 21.
    That's standard throttling on most any board that supports it.

Yes, you're excited to have your new motherboard, we get it. But don't write your observations like an ASUS press release. It helps no one.
    Last edited by kgk; 07-01-2009 at 01:11 PM.
    Bill Cosby: Stewie, what do you think candy is made out of?
    Stewie Griffin: Sunshine and farts! What the hell kind of question is that?!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kgk View Post
    1. There is no cold boot issue with the RIIE. You just didn't update your BIOS. Was fixed as of 1306. BIOS is currently past that.

2. There isn't any lag or lack of "smoothness" with programs or games between the two. That's an asinine statement. Either your board was defective or you're pulling observations out of your ass. I've seen them both in action running identical CPU's and high end RAM. Both were also using Intel SSDs. Also, you'll likely get a larger FPS hit on the P6T7 due to the two NF200's.

I'm sorry but I debated between the RIIE and the P6T7 because a good friend of mine purchased it. I ended up going with the RIIE with the option of sending it back for a P6T7. I may still send it back for the P6T7, but only because of the extra PCIe slots. We have identical setups with 975's, 2000Mhz C8 RAM and Intel SSDs. What you wrote reads like an ASUS press release.

No, Everest is likely just misreading the sensor. There's no way your motherboard temp is 57C. Motherboard temps don't vary that much between idle and load and never that high. Unless you live in the desert. That is likely the average of the chipset temp between the two NF200's and the Northbridge.

That's standard throttling on most any board that supports it.

Yes, you're excited to have your new motherboard, we get it. But don't write your observations like an ASUS press release. It helps no one.

I don't know whats the problem here? Perhaps it is my English as this is not my mother-tong.

1. I don't work for ASUS or any reseller.
    2. I never said that there was a cold boot issue with my RIIE. I used BIOS 1406
    3. I wrote that the new Mobo feels smoother while working and gaming and not that RIIE was a crappy Board. The RIIE was one of the best Mobos I ever had and I had about 40 different Boards!
    4. The OS is booting much faster, that's a fact! In my case
    5. I don't now where the on board sensor is on this mobo, but asus wrote to nge769 that there is no sensor for the x58 Chip or I simply misunderstood this.

And what relay pisses me of is, that this should be a Forum to share some impressions of new released Hardware but some people try to offend you if you write your personal view

If you have an other view then tell us, but please don't do that in this way.
    Last edited by crashmax; 07-01-2009 at 01:39 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Oh boy ,never thought this thread would get like this.Lets stop with the bickering, misunderstandings and the BS .Were here to express our opinions, maybe learn a Little something, and to have some fun .

People posting from around the world aren't gonna know the English language
    as well as there native language,and seems to create some confusion here i see.

I don't see where crash said the RIIE had a cold boot issue,personally i never experienced it.

The bios lists board temps, that should give you a good idea,unless its reading wrong. Thats what a probe is for,no?

The temps in crashes room, in a way, is like living in the desert, (28c , 81+F) in my book thats pretty warm and will affect your temps big time.

Peace
    I7 980 XE
    ATI 5970X2 Slot 1 & 5
    SB-X-FI F PCI-E Slot 4
    Enermax Galaxy 1250W
    Windows 7 64

Xtreme Member
    I don't know whats the problem here? Perhaps it is my English as this is not my mother-tong.

1. I don't work for ASUS or any reseller.
    2. I never said that there was a cold boot issue with my RIIE. I used BIOS 1406
    3. I wrote that the new Mobo feels smoother while working and gaming and not that RIIE was a crappy Board. The RIIE was one of the best Mobos I ever had and I had about 40 different Boards!
    4. The OS is booting much faster, that's a fact! In my case
    5. I don't now where the on board sensor is on this mobo, but asus wrote to nge769 that there is no sensor for the x58 Chip or I simply misunderstood this.

And what relay pisses me of is, that this should be a Forum to share some impressions of new released Hardware but some people try to offend you if you write your personal view

If you have an other view then tell us, but please don't do that in this way.
    If you misconstrued it that badly just write in German. I'm perfectly fluent in that as well.

I never said you work for ASUS. Stop misdirecting.

You implied there was a cold boot issue in your comparison, perhaps unintentionally due to the language barrier.

How can a board "feel smoother" while working and gaming? You either had bad manual BIOS settings for an overclock with undervolt or a defective board. I've used them both with identical hardware and they function the same. Aside from a minimal Vantage difference there is no discernible difference to someone using a program. Also, I never claimed you said the RIIE was a crappy board.

The OS booting faster could simply be due to a shorter BIOS screen. The P6T7 doesn't have the ROG Graphic, although you can turn that off on the RIIE.

My response had nothing to do with criticizing the board and everything to do with criticizing the fanboyism. The P6T7 is a fantastic board, but there's no need to invent things in an attempt to elevate it. It's already at the top of the pecking order, so the arbitrary "figures" are really pointless.

Xtreme Member
    My English is not very good, but most people understand what I'm writing.
    That's the Problem of written words. One interprets a sentence this way, another the complete other way. Should be more specific from now on to avoid misunderstandings.

And hey, this is my hobby and I'm an IT-Engineer since 15 Years now but still excited if I can test new Hardware at Home. Perhaps too excited

So, simply let us enjoy our passion!
    Last edited by crashmax; 07-02-2009 at 08:57 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The OS booting faster could simply be due to a shorter BIOS screen. The P6T7 doesn't have the ROG Graphic, although you can turn that off on the RIIE.
    You say you've used them both with identical hardware. Did you time the process it took for each to finish their boot sequence and load the OS? The P6T7 is a workstation class board which may have a better optimized BIOS that recognizes and initializes the hardware in a faster sequence than the R2E thus shaving off several seconds in boot time. X58 boards don't all have the exact same boot times regardless of their POST screen graphics because every boards BIOS is going to be a little different.

Xtreme Member
    That's the Problem of written words. One interprets a sentence this way, another the complete other way. Should be more specific from now on to avoid misunderstandings.

And hey, this is my hobby and I'm an IT-Engineer since 15 Years now but still excited if I can test new Hardware at Home. Perhaps too excited

Well said.
    I7 980 XE
    ATI 5970X2 Slot 1 & 5
    SB-X-FI F PCI-E Slot 4
    Enermax Galaxy 1250W
    Windows 7 64

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    Can someone confirm if this board has B3 chipset revision?
    I know, nge769 wrote this already.

Here is a screen-shot of what sandra is telling us about the chipset stepping.

Everest still shows the chipset as B2 stepping.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by burningrave101 View Post
    You say you've used them both with identical hardware. Did you time the process it took for each to finish their boot sequence and load the OS? The P6T7 is a workstation class board which may have a better optimized BIOS that recognizes and initializes the hardware in a faster sequence than the R2E thus shaving off several seconds in boot time. X58 boards don't all have the exact same boot times regardless of their POST screen graphics because every boards BIOS is going to be a little different.
    It's not really a "workstation" board. It can run 7 GPUs for CUDA, but it's still an X58 single socket board. I'd consider a "workstation" board a dual socket 1366.

The hardware detection is almost identical in time between the two. The only difference between my setup and my co-worker/friend is he has an Nvidia GPU setup, while I have an ATI. Disable the ROG flashy crap and SAS drive search on the RIIE and it's practically identical in bootup to windows start. I'm really temped to switch over to the P6T7 for the added PCIe availability since I run a lot of devices. But not because of any inherent performance advantage (aside from the ability to run more GPUs).

Xtreme Member
    I know, nge769 wrote this already.

Here is a screen-shot of what sandra is telling us about the chipset stepping.

Everest still shows the chipset as B2 stepping.
    Sandra is probably right. Everest "says" it supports the P6T7 now but I think we all know how reliable that program has been over the yeras

Only way to know for absolutely sure is word from the manufacturer or prying off the heatsink.

Xtreme Member

Ah, simply a language misunderstanding then. No problem.

Also, you're not very far from me. I'm in Konstanz.

Xtreme Member
    Ah, simply a language misunderstanding then. No problem.

Also, you're not very far from me. I'm in Konstanz.

We are almost neighbors. And the funny thing is we have both the same mother-tong (for those how don't know that)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It's not really a "workstation" board. It can run 7 GPUs for CUDA, but it's still an X58 single socket board. I'd consider a "workstation" board a dual socket 1366.
    Well despite what you consider it to be it's still a workstation developed board that's been certified for supporting NVIDIA's Tesla GPUs and so that's why it's marketed with the name "Workstation" in it's title. Number of sockets doesn't classify whether or not a board is a workstation board.

hey nge769 can you post your bios settings. i am willing to build a system exactly like you.so i might need you to post your bios setup . all of you guys are doing great. and everyone here is trying to get to the best result and the most correct conclusion...... so well done everyone.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AmrElshaer View Post
    hey nge769 can you post your bios settings. i am willing to build a system exactly like you.so i might need you to post your bios setup . all of you guys are doing great. and everyone here is trying to get to the best result and the most correct conclusion...... so well done everyone.

Hi AmrElshaer,look at my first page,SS, Also you might have to adjust vcore,QPI, not all chips are the same.When i used Crash's settings it wouldn't even boot to windows,i needed more voltage.
    I7 980 XE
    ATI 5970X2 Slot 1 & 5
    SB-X-FI F PCI-E Slot 4
    Enermax Galaxy 1250W
    Windows 7 64

Xtreme Member
    Can somebody say with certainty, if the Asus P6T7 WS Supercomputer has the B3-Chipset?

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast