Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: new OCZ SSD: Agility

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExodusC View Post
    I feel like if you're conservative with your space, 30GB is perfectly fine for Vista and Windows 7. Especially if you use a vLite install, you can chop out of a lot of stuff you'll probably never use.

Either way, I feel this is a moot point, some people end up using more space than others.
    You can't control the size of the Winsxs folder, so no matter how conservative you are, if it decides to grow to 20-30GB, you're just out of luck.

Has anybody tried turning on file and folder compression using an SSD? Any word on performance hits -- or improvements (since there's less data to write and CPU power is abundant)?

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Telperion View Post
    You can't control the size of the Winsxs folder, so no matter how conservative you are, if it decides to grow to 20-30GB, you're just out of luck.
    Wow, I just looked into this Winsxs folder for the first time on my new installation of Windows 7 and it is already at 6GB! It is possible to clear this folder out or is it absolutely needed? I would love to free up the space if I can, but am unsure on the repercussions of doing so.
    Silverstone Temjin TJ-09BW w/ Silverstone DA750
    Asus P8P67
    2600K w/ Thermalright Venomous X Black w/ Sanyo Denki San Ace 109R1212H1011
    8GB G.Skill DDR-1600 7-8-7-24
    Gigabyte GTX 460 1G
    Modded Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty w/ Klipsch Promedia 2.1
    1 X 120GB OCZ Vertex
    1 X 300GB WD Velociraptor HLFS
    1 X Hitachi 7K1000 1TB
    Pioneer DVR-216L DVD-RW
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Quote Originally Posted by alexio View Post
    From the hip and aim at the kitchen if she doesn't approve your purchases. She'll know better next time.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by cantankerous View Post
    It is possible to clear this folder out or is it absolutely needed? I would love to free up the space if I can, but am unsure on the repercussions of doing so.
    I wouldn't do that. Best don't delete stuff sitting in your Windows folder unless you want to kill your system.
    Mine is 5.62Gb after a couple of months of use btw.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by cantankerous View Post
    Wow, I just looked into this Winsxs folder for the first time on my new installation of Windows 7 and it is already at 6GB! It is possible to clear this folder out or is it absolutely needed? I would love to free up the space if I can, but am unsure on the repercussions of doing so.
    What is the WINSXS directory in Windows 2008 and Windows Vista and why is it so large?

Xtreme Member
    Southern ITALY - Thus, sorry for my bad english!
    Hi all,
    here a new review about the OCZ AGILITY 120GB model, with latest firmware and support to GC/TRIM.

If you want, HERE the english-translated page.

Xtreme Mentor
    Thanks for the link!
    BUt why revive this... post it in the storage subforum.
    Quote Originally Posted by LexDiamonds View Post
    Anti-Virus software is for n00bs.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by XS Janus View Post
    BUt why revive this...
    More clicks
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by cantankerous
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard
    I wouldn't do that. Best don't delete stuff sitting in your Windows folder unless you want to kill your system.
    Mine is 5.62Gb after a couple of months of use btw.
    I believe 'eXPer1ence' has done a vlite of Win 7 whereby he removed a ton of stuff from the winsxs folder as one of the optimisations thus drastically reducing the footprint of Win 7 after installation.....
    Last edited by Afterburner; 12-05-2009 at 05:57 PM.
    | Intel Core i5 2500K | Asrock P67 Extreme 6 | Gskill Ripjaws 8GB CL7 |

| Sapphire HD6970 | Creative X-Fi modded | Corsair HX850 | Corsair H60 |

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I was doing similar with one of my win7 installations, until I messed it up.

Removed over 13GB from the install, from winsxs and syswow64 folders.
    I got it down to about 1/3 of the files. Haven't continued the project thou.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    why need some big ssd if they are mostly used for the os and the apps, give me a 100$ ssd of 30gb but with 400mb/s write and read speed and maybe a shorter acces time , i will buy two of those and put them in ssd and will be happy for a long long time

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Afterburner View Post
    I believe 'eXPer1ence' has done a vlite of Win 7 whereby he removed a ton of stuff from the winsxs folder as one of the optimisations thus drastically reducing the footprint of Win 7 after installation.....
    The Windows directory on my Win7 install on my HTPC is only 6GB.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234