Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: new OCZ SSD: Agility

Hybrid View

new OCZ SSD: Agility

http://www.ocztechnology.com/product...ata_ii_2_5-ssd

Yet another SSD product line! Solid, Apex, Summit, Vertex, Agility. Makes me dizzy

How about a clear naming convention like WD's Green, Blue, Black (related meanings in names)

OCZ Silver, Gold, Platinum

Xtreme Cruncher
    it's good that they have yet another line of SSD, but their description of this new SSD almost says nothing:

Offering your system the incredible performance of flash-based storage, the OCZ Agility Series delivers the performance and reliability of SSDs at less price per gigabyte than other high speed offerings currently on the market. The OCZ Agility Series is the result of all the latest breakthroughs in SSD technology, including new architecture and controller design, blazing read/write speeds, and 64MB of onboard cache.

Perfect for notebooks and desktops alike, the Agility Series is ideal for energy-efficient mobile computing to extend battery life, increase the speed of access time, and provide a durable alternative to conventional hard disc drives with superior shock resistance. High capacities and low power consuming NAND flash technology provide the necessary performance and battery life boosts generated by the proliferation of mobile gaming and new ultra-thin laptops.

The OCZ Agility drives feature a durable yet lightweight alloy housing, and because OCZ SSDs have no moving parts, the drives are more rugged than traditional hard drives. Designed for ultimate reliability, Agility Series SSDs have an excellent 1.5 million hour mean time before failure (MTBF) ensuring peace of mind over the long term. All Agility Series SSD drives come backed a two year warranty and OCZ’s legendary service and support.
    basically, they're saying it's good for desktops, notebooks, thin, conserves power, and blah blah blah, all generic statements about SSD. nothing really interesting. looks like it as cache and rated just under vertex
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Over the mountains and down in the valley
    Crazy.
    From Tony OCZ:

Its a budget series that will take over from Core and Solid. Not sure I can say what the controller is yet.

Its like Vertex but a little slower
    http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...61&postcount=2
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    using a OCed quad for torrenting is like robbing your local video store with a rocket launcher.

Xtreme Addict
    Kingston announced a V series of SSDs in addition to their E and M series which are priced fairly well.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Xtreme Addict
    "When in doubt, C-4!" -- Jamie Hyneman

Silverstone TJ-09 Case | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Intel Core i5 750 CPU | ASUS P7P55D PRO Mobo | OCZ 4GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon 5850 GPU | Intel X-25M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB HDD | Windows 7 x64 | NEC EA23WMi 23" Monitor |Auzentech X-Fi Forte Soundcard | Creative T3 2.1 Speakers | AudioTechnica AD900 Headphone |

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmore View Post
    priced out of reach of even most high end users (€2500+)

Belgium's #1 Hardware Review Site and OC-Team!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I sort these series by price which one is the most expensive is the best :P
    DFI ICFX3200 07/30 w/ MCW30
    E6600 L632A407 w/ EK Supreme
    Powercolor HD3870 w/ MCW60
    OCZ Reaper 2x2GB CAS4
    WD Caviar Black 1TB
    Silverstone Strider 750W
    MM U2-UFO Extended CYO
    CPU & NB loop = PA120.3, DDC 18W w/ Petra's top, 7/16''
    VGA loop = PA120.2, DDC 18W w/ Petra's top, 7/16''
    10 fans on 7V, PX-750A, all on SM 930BF

" Having a DFI board is like having a hot girlfriend thats a total b1tch" ...

Xtreme Addict
    As long as, like Anand says, random writes and access are very, very fast, this is worth getting for the OS drive.
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

Banned
    i dont think ssd's are going to make it into average systems that cost 600 dollars

even i do believe average consumers dont deserve to get ssd's and i5/i7 if these are priced right i probably will get 4 of these vs 2 vertex

Xtreme Member
    yeah i think this kind of ssd's will be good..

Live Long And Overclock
    I am more entitled to believe that Kingston's Value line's controllers will last longer than these ones, but for that only time will tell

I like the fact that SSD price to storage ratio is slowly reaching 2:1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820139005

Perkam

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by perkam View Post
    I am more entitled to believe that Kingston's Value line's controllers will last longer than these ones, but for that only time will tell

I like the fact that SSD price to storage ratio is slowly reaching 2:1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820139005

Perkam
    Yup, thats a sure thing. The 64Gb is like 148 dollars. Barely missing the 2:1 ratio. I have a feeling we'll see it very soon once they get a little older.

I should have an evaluation sample coming into me soon, so we'll see how it performs.(no idea if it will be 64 or 128)
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Xtreme Addict
    I'm hoping by the time of my next build some time early / mid next year to see some SDDS at a price to sorage ratio of 1:1. Given the velociraptor 300s were about $300 at launch, that would be a step in the right direction. Its nice to see they are offering products at varrying price levels.Still too expensive for mainstream but a little more realistic.

The current capacities are a tad too restrictive for my tastes as I tend to keep alot of games/programs installed. Its not worth it to me just to have my OS on the drive and although there is the argument that you don't need to have 100 things installed at once it doesn't change the fact that I WANT to :p. I've used a system running Ubuntu on a 32gb vertex and was quite impressed but when you can take up this space with 3 or 4 games now days XD. Sure you can install your apps on a separate larger mechanical drive ( which most people appear to be doing so far ) it kind of negates the whole SSD thing for me personally. It's really down to your personal usage I suppose. Doing what I do, I probaley wouldn't fully appreciate current SSDs in the say way some power users would.

I think once 128-256GB drives become (realistically) affordable that solid state will really take off. So far they've only just begun to penetrate the highend notebook and in some cases netbook markets ( in small / slower varients ). Are people adopting these over 15K ssci arrays for server use yet?
    Feedanator 7.0
    CASE:R5|PSU:850G2|CPU:i7 6850K|MB:x99 Ultra|RAM:8x4 2666|GPU:980TI|SSD:BPX256/Evo500|SOUND:2i4/HS8
    LCD:XB271HU|OS:Win10|INPUT:G900/K70 |HS/F:H115i

Live Long And Overclock
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickenfeed View Post
    I'm hoping by the time of my next build some time early / mid next year to see some SDDS at a price to sorage ratio of 1:1.
    Believe me m8. You don't WANT them to make an SSD with a price to storage ratio of 1:1.

They'll put in their inventory of broken controllers and stick a disclaimer on it. 2:1 ensures that they make a margin on a good product.

I'll buy SSDs when the Kingston M or the Intel M series reaches the 2:1 ratio

Perkam

Xtreme Mentor
    Well what cheap controller is coming out in the market? I'm guessing the new jmicrap controller. There's no way any other major manufacturers will release a cheaper controller.
    Asus Rampage Formula X48
    Intel Q9650 @ 4.33GHZ
    OCZ Platinum DDR2-800
    Palit 4870x2
    Creative Xi-Fi Extreme Music
    Corsair HX1000
    LL 343B Case
    Thermochill 120.3
    2xMCP355
    KL 350AT
    KL 4870X2 FC WB
    DD Chipset Block

SSD faster than your HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by situman View Post
    Well what cheap controller is coming out in the market? I'm guessing the new jmicrap controller. There's no way any other major manufacturers will release a cheaper controller.
    That controller is not due out until July, this is not a Jmicron unit.

It's not necessarily the controller. bit-tech.net had a quote that apparently the cost for the Jmicron is $12 and the Indilinx about $15. The killer is because the NAND that can be used with Samsung/Indilinx controllers is a particular brand (higher price).

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...1&postcount=14

Xtreme Addict
    From what Tony posted in another thread it is not the cost of the controller that keeps SSD prices up, so in theory it does not have to be a crappy one just cause the SSD will be relatively low cost.

Xtreme Mentor
    Dont they all use samsung nand anyways?
    Asus Rampage Formula X48
    Intel Q9650 @ 4.33GHZ
    OCZ Platinum DDR2-800
    Palit 4870x2
    Creative Xi-Fi Extreme Music
    Corsair HX1000
    LL 343B Case
    Thermochill 120.3
    2xMCP355
    KL 350AT
    KL 4870X2 FC WB
    DD Chipset Block

Xtreme Member
    Based on a few post on OCZ's forum it looks like it will be an Indilinx controller.

Yeah, but other than pricing, I still think they need something else to help differentiate whats going on with the different drives. Especially since there current naming convention seems to comprise of picking cool names out of a hat. The only one that makes sense is the "core" series being base.

Xtreme Addict
    Good news for people who patiently waited to switch to SSDs and bad news for the Core and Solid owners (even worse news for early adopters). You gotta give credit to OCZ though. They have been releasing SSD after SSD until they get it right. Wish they allow Core and Solid owners to step-up like eVGA does.

I still prefer paying $100 for 1TB... I just can't bring myself to pay so much for so little space in comparison. I'd rather wait a few more seconds.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post
    I still prefer paying $100 for 1TB... I just can't bring myself to pay so much for so little space in comparison. I'd rather wait a few more seconds.
    Your mistake is to think SSDs as storage.
    HDD will be a better storage media for years to come. SSDs are all about performance, response time and enhancing user experience. SSDs are no better for storing data than HDDs, there's no such thing as "data storing performance". SSDs are lightyears better when the data is accessed, read and written. Slapping any proper (non-JMicron) SSD in the system and using it for OS and apps (not for stashing the pr0n) is the most significant performance upgrade one can make at present time and waiting for TB-range "storage SSDs" is ignoring the whole point of using an SSDs.

You were not supposed to see this.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by largon View Post
    Your mistake is to think SSDs as storage.
    HDD will be a better storage media for years to come. SSDs are all about performance, response time and enhancing user experience. SSDs are no better for storing data than HDDs, there's no such thing as "data storing performance". SSDs are lightyears better when the data is accessed, read and written. Slapping any proper (non-JMicron) SSD in the system and using it for OS and apps (not for stashing the pr0n) is the most significant performance upgrade one can make at present time and waiting for TB-range "storage SSDs" is ignoring the whole point of using an SSDs.

QFT

The performance boost is amazing, it will make your experience much more fluident then upgrading your Core2 system to the latest high-end Core i7 for $1000 and clocking the hell out of it. No more stuttering etc. due to a slow HDD.

That's really my plan, 100GB would be enough for me then I'd keep the mechanical HDD for storage purpose, and that 100GB SSD for OS, Applications etc.
    SweClockers.com

CPU: Phenom II X4 955BE
    Clock: 4200MHz 1.4375v
    Memory: Dominator GT 2x2GB 1600MHz 6-6-6-20 1.65v
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
    GPU: HD 5770

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast